Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Used '21 MB AMG GLA 45 For Sale - Thoughts on Price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Question Used '21 MB AMG GLA 45 For Sale - Thoughts on Price?

Former AMG C63 owner here, and also recently sold my C8 coupe. I am considering the purchase of a '21 AMG GLA 45 with 8,330 miles in Mountain Grey Metallic and red/black leather interior. It comes with the Parking Assistance, Exterior Lighting, Multimedia, AMG Night, AMG Aerodynamics, and AMG Dynamic Plus packages, plus 21" AMG Multi-Spoke black matte wheels, adjustable second row, and mirror logo projector. It also comes with new tires, as the dealership changed them to make the vehicle CPO (but wasn't certified due to the open recall on the vehicle that can't be addressed yet). It was only leased for four months before being sold. I asked why there were already over 8,000 miles on it, and the salesman said it was a demo. Still, that seems like a heck of a lot of miles put on for a demo. The dealer is asking $62,810. Considering that the original sticker price with all options was $68,360, I suppose that's not bad in today's inflated market. Fair price, meh, or too much?
Old 03-17-2022, 01:24 PM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
That isn't a bad price in this market but have you driven one? That is a VERY different platform than just about every other car in your signature. The power numbers look good on paper but I absolutely despise the car. They're a heavy FWD biased platform that pushes into corners with lots of under steer when driving them hard.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:44 PM

2017 AMG C63
No I haven't driven one but was planning to at my local MB dealer, though they rarely have any MB other than the standard grocery getters. Thank you for your feedback on the vehicle. Do you own an AMG GLA 45, used to? What other cars have you owned for comparison sake?
Old 03-17-2022, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckman
No I haven't driven one but was planning to at my local MB dealer, though they rarely have any MB other than the standard grocery getters. Thank you for your feedback on the vehicle. Do you own an AMG GLA 45, used to? What other cars have you owned for comparison sake?
I work for MB (don't tell anyone I said that about one of our cars!) and have driven the GLA 45 on numerous occasions for some short, some extended drives, and on the race track. It is my most disliked AMG model, even more-so than the GLB 35 that so many seem to hate. The car is fun enough around town but really shows it's flaws (IMO) when you push it a bit.

I have driven every AMG model produced in the last two years, numerous Porsches, Ferraris, hot hatches, etc.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:47 PM

2017 AMG C63
I appreciate your insights, and even with a test drive (where you usually can't drive it like you stole it), this may have saved me some grief. When you say the AMG GLA 45 is your most disliked model, would you include the sedan brother, the AMG CLA 45 as well? I did previously lease a '17 C63 (not Sport) Cabriolet and I like it all around. But that's too expensive for what I've budgeted for my next car (no more than $60K but may be willing to spend a few thousand more with very good justification). Given that you've noticed other cars I've owned, would you recommend any other AMG models? I don't mind a few years old and low mileage, as long as the tech isn't too dated. I work 100% from home so while I'd like another car, I don't NEED another car, as I can always borrow my wife or son's car to run the occasional errand. Besides an AMG, the other cars on my short list are the Audi RS3, TT RS, Supra (3.0), and new Nissan Z. You may wonder why no mention of an M version of BMW, well, they are just too overpriced now, plus, and purely subjective, when I look behind the wheel of one, the entire interior just looks blah. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2022, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckman
I appreciate your insights, and even with a test drive (where you usually can't drive it like you stole it), this may have saved me some grief. When you say the AMG GLA 45 is your most disliked model, would you include the sedan brother, the AMG CLA 45 as well? I did previously lease a '17 C63 (not Sport) Cabriolet and I like it all around. But that's too expensive for what I've budgeted for my next car (no more than $60K but may be willing to spend a few thousand more with very good justification). Given that you've noticed other cars I've owned, would you recommend any other AMG models? I don't mind a few years old and low mileage, as long as the tech isn't too dated. I work 100% from home so while I'd like another car, I don't NEED another car, as I can always borrow my wife or son's car to run the occasional errand. Besides an AMG, the other cars on my short list are the Audi RS3, TT RS, Supra (3.0), and new Nissan Z. You may wonder why no mention of an M version of BMW, well, they are just too overpriced now, plus, and purely subjective, when I look behind the wheel of one, the entire interior just looks blah. Thanks!
I actually like the CLA 45 quite a bit more. It doesn't carry the same weight of the GLA 45 but my time with one on an auto cross course showed the limitations of the FWD biased platform. It pushed HARD into corners if you were just a little hot on the turn in and didn't give the rear-end rotation that I prefer. I'd say I might even enjoy the tremendous amount of turbo lag. The little 2.0 builds, builds, builds then takes off. Some of my dislike is purely subjective. I'm not a fan of the GLA 45's looks. Is it a hot hatch or a crossover?

You have great taste. I still think that the W205 C63 and C63s is one of the best driving cars there is. The new Supra is a lot of fun as well but as you mentioned, you're immediately reminded of the BMW that's hiding underneath.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:35 PM

2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
I actually like the CLA 45 quite a bit more. It doesn't carry the same weight of the GLA 45 but my time with one on an auto cross course showed the limitations of the FWD biased platform. It pushed HARD into corners if you were just a little hot on the turn in and didn't give the rear-end rotation that I prefer. I'd say I might even enjoy the tremendous amount of turbo lag. The little 2.0 builds, builds, builds then takes off. Some of my dislike is purely subjective. I'm not a fan of the GLA 45's looks. Is it a hot hatch or a crossover?

You have great taste. I still think that the W205 C63 and C63s is one of the best driving cars there is. The new Supra is a lot of fun as well but as you mentioned, you're immediately reminded of the BMW that's hiding underneath.
Now these are the type of comments that we all need. Real world experience, and not someone parroting experiences a friend of a friend of a friend, or, "I read on the Internet...". As for turbo lag, you want to talk turbo lag? How about my '86 Buick Grand National? Nothing, then...neck snap! Doesn't sound like the either the AMG CLA 45 or GLA 45 would be the car for me. As for the W205 AMG C63 or C63 S, I'm a fan of it as well, but like so many other cars right now, too expensive. And we all know how MB models drops (in a normal market). Good stuff!
The following users liked this post:
CincyMBGuy (03-18-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I currently have owned a C63 for 7 years and a GLA45 for 1 year.
The GLA45 is a nicely handling car.
I came to the GLA out of a modified Sti Spec C.
The GLA has traction control tuning that allows it to turn in much nicer than the Sti can.
I can tell you more about it and there is a front locking differential available for this car. I don't know and don't care about the track, but on the road you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GLA45
Well, to each his own and I haven't tracked by GLA45 AMG. However, the supposed turbo lag is only partially the turbo, but also the overall way the engine response via the pedal and other electronic control are set up. A pedal box makes a huge difference and is not truly an output changer or engine tuner, but rather an electronic changer of pedal characteristics. Add on tuning boxes can help also, but that's another venture. I have owned an Audi RS5, a Porsche 911 GTS and almost countless other performance cars. Clearly, the GLA is not intended or qualified to be on the same level as these or others, but for the mix of practicality and performance and economy it's hard to beat. Judicious tire pressure changes, use of the Sport levels to change engine and suspension characteristics and other free hacks have a major difference in the car. Look at it as an advanced hot hatch and treat it as such and it shines....
Old 05-16-2022, 12:43 PM

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
2019 E63s 2023 gle53
My wife owns one and loves it. She wanted something smaller that was fun to drive yet still have passengers. That price in todays market isn’t bad. Her GLA45 is why I bought an e63s….I had no idea Mercedes’ made driving so fun . Good luck!