GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Annoying static interference sound.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 MB GLB250 4Matic
Annoying static interference sound.

New to the forum and I need some community assistance. I have a new 2020 MB GLB250 4Matic. Since new there has been an annoying audio sound that seems like it is coming from the front speakers or possibly the driver-aid electronic assembly at the top of the windshield. It sounds like an odd electronic static sound - like you would get from having a microphone too close to a speaker. It doesn’t happen all the time and is most common at freeway speeds. The noise seems to occur on the same stretch of road each day. So I’ve wondered if it was a radio signal of some type interfering with the on board electronics. The sound occurs whether the radio is on or off. I’ve also adjusted the driver-aids to see if having them off on this stretch of road fixed the issue. The computer has been reset several times as well. But all of this with no luck. I had also hoped the recent navigation update to correct the SOS signal would have done it, but again the noise is still there.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Any success in solving it? I appreciate any help you all could offer. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
The best way is to do a video with your phone, you drive and have someone do the video, start before the sound initiates and keep it going till it stops the noise. This is for your dealer. The other thing, again with an assistant, is to get a stethoscope, they sell inexpensive ones at an auto parts store. A piece of plastic tubing will work also. When the sound starts move the end of the hose or stethoscope around listening for where the noise is eminating. Sound is funny, it sounds like it's coming from one plaslce but is really coming from somewhere else. Another bit of info for your dealer. We have no noise like that in our GLB35.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS450; CLK320 (1998 - 2011)
I just had something similar happen during a recent 12 day cross country drive in my relatively new GLS450.

We were driving from Peoria, IL to Dayton, OH, with a stop in Springfield, IL. At some point after we left a food stop in Decatur, IL, started having what sounded like speaker static anytime we hit a bump in the road - even was there when we were back on the interstate (i.e. changing lanes). Was happening regardless of audio input and even when the entire system was off. It was really annoying, so we stopped again near the University of Illinois to google possible causes/solutions. Saw this thread and another discussion recommending turning off the car. We tried that -- left the car off for about 10 - but that did not resolve anything.

Was thinking it was a loose wire connection or something like that causing the feedback. And was thinking we would need to take a video and have it serviced at a dealer during our 3 week stay in Maryland. But after it was off that for a night in Dayton, the static/feedback went away. No idea why it stopped/corrected.

I wish I had taken a video to share here. Will do if it comes back.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:24 PM

GLB250
Originally Posted by Jeremy Thompson
New to the forum and I need some community assistance. I have a new 2020 MB GLB250 4Matic. Since new there has been an annoying audio sound that seems like it is coming from the front speakers or possibly the driver-aid electronic assembly at the top of the windshield. It sounds like an odd electronic static sound - like you would get from having a microphone too close to a speaker. It doesn’t happen all the time and is most common at freeway speeds. The noise seems to occur on the same stretch of road each day. So I’ve wondered if it was a radio signal of some type interfering with the on board electronics. The sound occurs whether the radio is on or off. I’ve also adjusted the driver-aids to see if having them off on this stretch of road fixed the issue. The computer has been reset several times as well. But all of this with no luck. I had also hoped the recent navigation update to correct the SOS signal would have done it, but again the noise is still there.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Any success in solving it? I appreciate any help you all could offer. Thank you.

Hi Jeremy, I have exactly the same issue with my 2020 MB GLB250 and the dealer says that it is a tire unbalance issue, which is ridiculous, they dismiss this sound as an odd event and have not resolved it to my satisfaction. It happens infrequently at speeds over 70 MPH and it is quite annoying. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this situation or if it already identified as a know issue/fix.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:52 PM

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Are you talking about interference sound from speakers or high-pitched whistling sound coming from outside of the car? Mine is high pitched whistling noise on the right side which starts around 78mph during windy conditions. I think it is the mirror, similar to GLE posts here, but it can be the windshield, panoramic roof, roof rail, etc based on the other GLB forums:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...g-sound-6.html
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/gl...issue.3071576/

It is in German forums also as it was heard more at higher speeds on Autobahns:
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/maen...2.html?page=61

"I've already read a few times that the windscreen likes to whistle. Are we talking about such a noise as can be heard on the video?

Occurs on our GLB 35 from 190 km/h... "
Originally Posted by atercero
Hi Jeremy, I have exactly the same issue with my 2020 MB GLB250 and the dealer says that it is a tire unbalance issue, which is ridiculous, they dismiss this sound as an odd event and have not resolved it to my satisfaction. It happens infrequently at speeds over 70 MPH and it is quite annoying. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this situation or if it already identified as a know issue/fix.

Last edited by Serhan; 02-23-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:16 PM

2023 AMG EQE 53
That video doesn't sound like a "whistle" to me, it sounds more like just general road noise. But if the noise goes away when you turn off the radio then it definitely is electronic in nature. My wife has a 2021 GLB AMG and luckily I've never heard a noise like you describe. I would try to use your phone and get it recording the noise and then turning off the radio to prove that it goes away when the radio is turned off. Another tip, while someone else is driving use a piece of plastic tubing or a cheap stethoscope (auto parts store or Amazon), one end to your ear and the other to try and trace the noise. This really narrows down where it's coming from. Sometimes a noise sounds like it's coming from one place and it's really coming from another. Old mechanics trick but it works.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:53 AM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
On occasion I started to hear a hissing sound coming from the front vent area. It only occurs when fan is running on high and it is definitely vent related, since "hissing" goes away when I close air intake from outside. In my case, I think it's either one of the internal dampers are not fully closing, thus allowing air leaking through, or the front vent or ducts were not sized correctly for full air flow, or there is a restriction. When air moves through a vent over certain speeds it starts to generate whistle and/or hissing sounds.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:21 AM

2023 AMG EQE 53
Now that post makes sense but it is completely different than the noise that stops when the radio is turned OFF. Again, I'd suggest the stethoscope method to narrow down the noise. Also, test it with the A/C on high and fan on high and then change to heat. The dampers are in different positions for each and that might help narrow down where the noise is coming from.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:07 AM

GLE53C AMG
Originally Posted by dbuckho
I just had something similar happen during a recent 12 day cross country drive in my relatively new GLS450.

We were driving from Peoria, IL to Dayton, OH, with a stop in Springfield, IL. At some point after we left a food stop in Decatur, IL, started having what sounded like speaker static anytime we hit a bump in the road - even was there when we were back on the interstate (i.e. changing lanes). Was happening regardless of audio input and even when the entire system was off. It was really annoying, so we stopped again near the University of Illinois to google possible causes/solutions. Saw this thread and another discussion recommending turning off the car. We tried that -- left the car off for about 10 - but that did not resolve anything.

Was thinking it was a loose wire connection or something like that causing the feedback. And was thinking we would need to take a video and have it serviced at a dealer during our 3 week stay in Maryland. But after it was off that for a night in Dayton, the static/feedback went away. No idea why it stopped/corrected.

I wish I had taken a video to share here. Will do if it comes back.
----
im guessing its the same tiny sound i had in my GLS450, almost sounds like something is stuck in the speaker, or the cone is torn.. and oddly the sound seems to come from one side of the vehicle as the driver, and as the passenger it seems to come from the opposite site.... I just figured it was that vehicle, but I recently picked up a new GLE coupe amg, and it does the exact same thing... Also kind of reminded me slightly of when the old blackberry days when it would refresh mail near a conference room phone...
Old 06-12-2024, 03:46 PM

2022 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Jeremy Thompson

Here you go!! Hope it helps you. I replied to another post above.