GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Quality of a new GLB 250- Fit and Finish Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 12:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
Angry Quality of a new GLB 250- Fit and Finish Issues

I bought a new GLB 250 (2022) 4 Matic and a fully loaded car for about 60K USD. This is my first Mercedes experience and was so thrilled to get this car. All the excitement stopped when I received the car and noticed some shocking fit, finish and quality problems that I never encountered in other cars I owned. This is a disappointing experience my family and I had for what is a beautiful car. Major misalignments in the A pillar on both driver and passenger, major mental welding issues at all door corner and trunk corner, front hatch not fit and wobbles even when closed, windows shatter when music is played, excessive wind and road noise to make it a very uncomfortable ride, engine hissing sound when acceleration is performed, rattles across the windshield and back seat windows when driving and list goes on!

Does anyone face the same issues?

Attached Thumbnails Quality of a new GLB 250- Fit and Finish Issues-img_0550.png  
Old 10-12-2022, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
The GLB is a cheaply built FWD car based on the entry level CLA/GLA platform. Perhaps your expectations were too high or you didn't research what you were buying. Everything you noted is normal for this model. I'd wager the driver's door is difficult to close as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
chassis (10-12-2022), QuadBenz (10-13-2022), Vladimir Livson (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:55 PM

GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
The GLB is a cheaply built FWD car based on the entry level CLA/GLA platform. Perhaps your expectations were too high or you didn't research what you were buying. Everything you noted is normal for this model. I'd wager the driver's door is difficult to close as well.
Mercedes accepted my claim for refund or exchange... They agreed this is cheaply built and not according to their standards.... Accepting status quo is the biggest problem of this society!
The following users liked this post:
diggs718 (01-10-2023)
Old 10-12-2022, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
What will you replace
it with? I'd suggest a GLC.
​​
Old 10-12-2022, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLB250
From what I have seen the GLB exhibits the same quality, or lack thereof, of other vehicles in the 50K segment. I put the hood liner from the GLB35 on mine, which considerably cut down on the intake hiss. The welds look no different than those on the GLC I took a perfunctory look at during my last scheduled service. The welds on my 911 look far different, but being a 2018 it is pre-world falling apart, and at 3 times the price I expect them to be. It seems, like nearly every other industry, the auto industry is suffering from the fallout of “workers” entitled to their jobs who feel they can just collect the next handout from Uncle Sam if they don’t feel like working hard. Maybe the same is true of workers in the other countries where MB models are made.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:16 PM

GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
Originally Posted by Extremeengineer
From what I have seen the GLB exhibits the same quality, or lack thereof, of other vehicles in the 50K segment. I put the hood liner from the GLB35 on mine, which considerably cut down on the intake hiss. The welds look no different than those on the GLC I took a perfunctory look at during my last scheduled service. The welds on my 911 look far different, but being a 2018 it is pre-world falling apart, and at 3 times the price I expect them to be. It seems, like nearly every other industry, the auto industry is suffering from the fallout of “workers” entitled to their jobs who feel they can just collect the next handout from Uncle Sam if they don’t feel like working hard. Maybe the same is true of workers in the other countries where MB models are made.
looks like Elon has a point here with his Optimus bots! GLB is built in Mexico… I guess quality there is the last thing they care about

Old 10-12-2022, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 416 Likes on 342 Posts
2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
What will you replace
it with? I'd suggest a GLC.
​​
I don’t think he wants another Benz. In his other post he raved about the luxury and quality of the KIA Telluride.
diggs718 (01-10-2023)
Old 10-13-2022, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2022 GLB250

Pretty sure that the welds you are seeing are seam sealer. Body panels don't get welded together with welds that big - usually just spot welds or possibly adhesives. So this may just be a sloppy application of sealer and not a structural issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by mfoley13:
chassis (10-13-2022), JMURiz (01-11-2023)
Old 10-13-2022, 07:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,868 Likes on 3,042 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mfoley13

Pretty sure that the welds you are seeing are seam sealer. Body panels don't get welded together with welds that big - usually just spot welds or possibly adhesives. So this may just be a sloppy application of sealer and not a structural issue.
Yes, this. And the sealer application on the OP example is consistent with a low budget economy car, which MB now produces.
E55Greasemonkey (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 10:03 AM

GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
Originally Posted by chassis
Yes, this. And the sealer application on the OP example is consistent with a low budget economy car, which MB now produces.
Yup... This is a low budget and cheap vehicle made by MB. It is actually a facade... It looks great, feels great inside but the reality only comes out when you live with it.
E55Greasemonkey (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 10:06 AM

GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
Yupp... If I had to do this again, hands down I would have gone for a Telluride ( I need 3 rows) and saved 10K...

Merc is only offering a GLB exchange. Initially they were talking about a refund but the scammers went back on their words....
Titanium11 (03-25-2023)
Old 10-13-2022, 11:40 AM

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Originally Posted by chassis
Cannot blame this on poor labor force since it done by robots on a production line.
chassis (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
Cannot blame this on poor labor force since it done by robots on a production line.
Maybe it's a cheap low-end economy robot? 🤔😄
Old 10-13-2022, 12:45 PM

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Out of curiosity I looked at GLE (white) and GLS (blue) tailgate hatch panels sold on ebay, and the seam seal is not much better (see file attached). I wonder if due to the complicated shape of the seam of the tailgate it is done by hand?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
diggs718 (01-10-2023)
Old 10-13-2022, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 GLA250 FWD
Look up COMPAS on the internet. The GLB is assembled by this joint venture between Mercedes and Nissan at a plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico. There are other COMPAS facilities around the world. It was Mercedes’ way of learning through partnering on how to better compete in the lower end of their market.

There are shared manufacturing concepts and specific shared components, but the vehicles produced are still unique. Contrary to what some have said, however, Mercedes and Nissan vehicles were never built on the same assembly lines.

Nissan wants out because they say Mercedes requirements push the price of vehicles out of their market. Nissan discontinued the Infiniti G30, which was a cousin to the GLA, for just that reason.

Mercedes’ plans on reducing their participation in the lower end segment of the market because it takes away from their ability to provide vehicles with their standards in the upper-mid and high ends of the automotive market. When total electrification occurs in the 2030s, the A-Class cars, CLA, and GLA may no longer be produced.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:58 PM

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Once-Promising Nissan-Mercedes Alliance Effectively Unravels

An alliance once promising billions of dollars in savings is essentially coming to an end as Nissan plans to halt production at a plant in Decherd, Tennessee that had been building engines developed by Mercedes for use in luxury products sold by both automakers.The Japanese and German manufacturers — then known as Daimler AG — initially formed their alliance in 2010 as a way to drive down costs, among other things sharing some purchasing operations. In the years that followed, the relationship expanded to include shared vehicle platforms, as well as the joint production of powertrains and vehicles.

The Decherd plant was one of the showpieces of the partnership, producing 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engines for both Mercedes and Nissan’s high-line Infiniti brand. In the last few years, however, the two automakers have unwound most of their joint programs, with the engine operation among the last remaining pieces.

But the Japanese automaker said in a statement this week that it will “suspend operations at the powertrain facility in Decherd pending future product announcements.” While the company won’t discuss what plans will follow, it is clear that it won’t involve any ties to Mercedes.

Decherd was one of the most significant, along with the creation of COMPAS, the Cooperation Manufacturing Plant Aguascalientes, a Mexican assembly plant 50:50 owned by Daimler and Nissan.

The $1 billion operation was set to produce vehicles for both the Infiniti and Mercedes brands. But it was plagued with problems from the start, noted Stephanie Brinley, principal automotive analyst for IHS Markit. Most notably, the two automakers couldn’t agree on a common manufacturing process. So, while it continues to produce vehicles for both luxury marques, they are assembled on separate lines, limiting potential economies of scale.

At one time there was promise but the execution didn’t live up to what was expected,” said Brinley, looking back at the decade-long alliance.

Speaking on background, several sources at the two automakers said there was another factor that likely contributed to the wind-down of the Nissan-Mercedes relationship: the May 2019 retirement of Dieter Zetsche and the controversial November 2018 arrest of Carlos Ghosn. While Brinley said she couldn’t confirm that management changes at Nissan doomed the alliance, she told TheDetroitBureau.com that, “If the execs who were most bullish about it are no longer there, it may no longer be a priority” for their successors.

Now, the final piece of the alliance, the COMPAS plant, appears to be at risk. “Even during its peak year in 2020, the factory did not eke out 50% of installed capacity,” Sam Fiorani, AutoForecast Solutions vice president of global vehicle forecasting, told Automotive News.

The research firm does not expect to see the COMPAS plant to continue production beyond 2026 — though alternatives could be developed before then.
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
Look up COMPAS on the internet. The GLB is assembled by this joint venture between Mercedes and Nissan at a plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico. There are other COMPAS facilities around the world. It was Mercedes’ way of learning through partnering on how to better compete in the lower end of their market.

There are shared manufacturing concepts and specific shared components, but the vehicles produced are still unique. Contrary to what some have said, however, Mercedes and Nissan vehicles were never built on the same assembly lines.

Nissan wants out because they say Mercedes requirements push the price of vehicles out of their market. Nissan discontinued the Infiniti G30, which was a cousin to the GLA, for just that reason.

Mercedes’ plans on reducing their participation in the lower end segment of the market because it takes away from their ability to provide vehicles with their standards in the upper-mid and high ends of the automotive market. When total electrification occurs in the 2030s, the A-Class cars, CLA, and GLA may no longer be produced.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 GLB 250 4matic
I don’t think he wants another Benz. In his other post he raved about the luxury and quality of the KIA Telluride.
And dislikes the sound of his turbo when he accelerates.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:46 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
I have a 2023 GLB 250 and I find the fit and finish to be very good. It is the same as my previous GLK 350. I have no squeaks or rattles and very little road or wind noise. I find the sealer to be fine and no different than my GLK. The sealer is put on with a robotic arm and should be consistent unit to unit. I had a Ford Lincoln that had much worse sealer coverage and "neatness". The only issue I believe is the run flat tires amplifying the road imperfections. I would love to drive this vehicle with standard tires to compare.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 GLA250 FWD
Talked with a good friend who lives in the Chicago area a couple of days ago. He and his wife recently went to test drive a Mercedes. Dual income, no kids. They own a Kia. His wife was uncomfortable that she was not able to move the steering wheel back an forth 2-3 inches without the car responding. As soon as the wheel was moved the car moved. Too sensitive. A car should not respond to the driver “rocking out” to the music while driving.

To each, his own. Maybe this represents the common driver.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:47 PM

GLK350
Talked with a good friend who lives in the Chicago area a couple of days ago. He and his wife recently went to test drive a Mercedes. Dual income, no kids. They own a Kia. His wife was uncomfortable that she was not able to move the steering wheel back an forth 2-3 inches without the car responding. As soon as the wheel was moved the car moved. Too sensitive. A car should not respond to the driver “rocking out” to the music while driving.

To each, his own. Maybe this represents the common driver.
If you can move the wheel 2-3 " and the car does not respond then the steering has too much play. Also not a good driver in my opinion. Stop playing with the steering wheel.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 GLA250 FWD
Well, they don’t want another Kia, either, which is what the OP was raving about. That’s why I commented. I suspect they’ll settle on a US built full size plus SUV with its recirculating ball steering and get the unresponsive steering.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glb180
Have a BMW and decided to try out Mercs.
the buttons are more flimsy, driver and front passenger seats thigh support are popping out and many more issues.
Disappointing car
Old 03-24-2023, 07:43 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
so in mexico it's done by robots also?
Old 03-24-2023, 07:45 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by ILoveNY
so in mexico it's done by robots also?
Robots everywhere!
Old 09-04-2023, 11:07 AM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Originally Posted by mfoley13

I see this kind of sealer on my GLS as well...
chassis (09-04-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quality of a new GLB 250- Fit and Finish Issues