GLB: worst vehicle I've ever bought!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
G63
GLB: worst vehicle I've ever bought!

The GLB 250 is garbage!

I bought the G,B to replace my aging daily / winter vehicle which was a Subaru WRX. In 12 months time, the vehicle has been in the shop four times. The first time was around 3yrs & 20,000 miles for the cylinder head replacement. This took about 2-3 weeks waiting on a back ordered cylinder head. Then about a month or two later, the vehicle over heated on me. The dash went red saying turn engine off while driving down the highway. I pulled over and called the dealership. The car went back in the shop for around 2-3 days. Then 4-5 months later, I was driving in a slight snow storm, we saw around 1-2" tops. I parked the car (turned it off) for a few minutes while I ran in and grabbed something. I came outside, turned on the car and got a 4matic inoperable message on the dash. Now the car is identifying as a FWD only. The car did fine getting home, i run studded snow tires. Anyhow, I get home and put the car in the shop the next day. The car was in the shop 7-9 days mostly waiting on an AWD module. At this point, I no longer have any interest in keeping this car. I picked it up from the dealership, drove it straight home and listed it for sale online. I refused to drive the car for days fearing it would just break down again. 3-4 days go by and I figured I would drive it less than a mile up the road for some Starbucks to keep the battery good etc. While I'm at the driving thru window being handed my coffee, the 4Matic Inoperable message pops up again. I'm literally less than a mile from my home. I called Mercedes and put the car back in the shop again. 3-4 days later, they tell me it needs a new rear end. This is a daily driver, I only use it for driving around town, the store, going out on weekends when the weather is bad. The car is instantly put in economy mode as soon as I start it, never hotroaded as if you could. I was told it would take 4-5 days to receive a rear in and the vehicle is still in the shop. I literally can not keep the vehicle out of the shop long enough to sell or trade for another vehicle. I don't think it qualifies for the Lemon law yet and I bought the car used with only 17k on it.

My best financial and mental advice I can give someone, don't buy a GLB 250.
The following users liked this post:
MBenzdriver (02-02-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLB250
That's terrible news to hear, considering we all own GLB's here! When you bought it used, was it from a dealership and was it CPO? Any accidents? I've had my GLB for 2.5 years now, and haven't had any issues. I do only have 15K KM's on it though.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:54 AM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Ouch, sounds like a lemon.

There are known issues but seems like you got them all and then some.

My GLB 35 is our household favorite car by a wide margin. 3rd row is icing on the cake.

Thanks for sharing in case mine starts to have similar issues, as I’d trade it in as well.

What are you considering next?
Old 02-07-2024, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLB 250
I bought mine used with 18k miles on it. At 28k miles the engine cylinder heads went out and the engine had to be replaced. It now has 36k miles, just past the warranty and my engine light came on this morning. If this is another large problem, I'm going to turn it in and sue under the california lemon law. This thing has been a big disappointment with many normal things I expect from MB not included in this car. This is my 5th car and it's sucks big time.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:23 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Originally Posted by Coorl
I bought mine used with 18k miles on it. At 28k miles the engine cylinder heads went out and the engine had to be replaced. It now has 36k miles, just past the warranty and my engine light came on this morning. If this is another large problem, I'm going to turn it in and sue under the california lemon law. This thing has been a big disappointment with many normal things I expect from MB not included in this car. This is my 5th car and it's sucks big time.
sorry to hear

but many forum users had the cylinder head replaced and it seemed fine. hope it's just a software issue.

I read both GLB and GLC forums, and I do think the new GLC makes more problems...
Old 02-07-2024, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,494 Likes on 946 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
I am sorry to hear your vehicle has not been to expectations.

I tell friends and family to NOT buy a 4-cylinder gasoline MB until things settle. Since the M271 engine, the successors have been plague with issues, which some people attribute only happened to the forum members.

The M270/M274 (under a class action lawsuit at the moment) is to be avoided if possible. Recall MB vehicles are like LEGO; therefore, you can find the same problems in all the classes that use the same powertrain; therefore, it is not a GLB/C issue, but it has happened to the C class as well.
Even the successors of the M270/M274 should be on the "more information needed before purchasing".

A family member own a GLB in the UK. Have not heard issues yet, but the question is when.

Last edited by juanmor40; 02-07-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLB 250
I bought a new GLB 250 4WD in 2022 with almost full options. After several days, I noticed that my body leans toward the center. I went back to the dealer but it was not helpful since it was not obvious. Then, slowly, I developed chronic lower back pain. Two years later when I had a loaner GLB for one month, the back pain went away after driving it for a few days. They are both GLB. So, I think mine is a defect. Probably, it is a ripple effect of pandemic era's short supply and lack of trained workers. I contacted MB customer service. They denied my request for help in trading in my car with a new one.

The breaking point was tthe reason why my GLB sat in the garage for one month. It was due to cylinder issue (according to my diplomatic service agent it is a known issue with certain type of MB).

Now, I am considering GLC. But, even if I consider one in $57k range, it does not come with heated steering wheel. I live in Virginia. I guess not many cars come with Warmth and Comfort package for my region.

I thought about getting either GLA (the new ones are cute. It is not hatch back style any more) or GLB with almost full options. However, everyone recommends GLC.

In addition, dealers are having great incentives for EQE and I felt pressured to get EQE. However, I decided not to get EQE after reading computer glitch issues.

I cannot decide which car to get ...
Old 03-16-2024, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 416 Likes on 342 Posts
2023 GLA250 FWD
Your dealer doesn’t sound like they are being very helpful. First, they didn’t seem to help with your defect complaint. Now they aren’t offering to find a GLC for you with a heated wheel. I went to MBUSA.com and found 13 2024 GLCs with heated wheels immediately. I don’t know where you are in Virginia, but maybe try another dealer? Or search the inventory yourself then visit the dealer with the SUV you want.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLB 250
My salesperson is nice and takes time unlike other dealers. But, I think you are right. He may be nice but not really look out for me. Thank you.