GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC niggles, complaints and advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Specifically - in respect to the GLC for US market - code 851 which is the "acoustic glazed windshield and front side windows" - is a special order option in Germany as a SPC item with added option cost + SPC charge - and certain other countries other than Germany as as well.

However - code 851 is not a dealer orderable in the US build spec - the exception to that is if you order HUD for US market - you do get the "acoustic glazed" windshield on the build - no acoustic front side windows.

That said - under the "factory reserves the right to change specification without notice" - Bremen factory can choose to add code 851 when a US rig goes into production - it's their choice - I personally have not seen that happen on any of my GLC rigs yet - so I don't know if Bremen adds a invoice/dealer charge or not - if they do there would not be a added SPC charge.

On this subject - which has been good for me to follow - I called one of my friends at Bremen Jan 15 and asked him to add 851 for my daughters Jan 18 GLC build order - which he did for me. As I have not been dealer invoiced yet - I don't know if Bremen did a no charge factory sub or will add sticker or not - I "think" not.. heck, they know it's my daughter !

That - I was intrigued by this thread reported "W205" C-Class "issue.

Based on the thread that was posted under the Poll - it appears the Poll was stacked a bit.

Feb 7 2015 thru most recent post Sept 5 2015: 14 C-Class Owners voluntarily reported no wind noise problems whatsoever after reading the thread - and several commented the Poll as stated was stacked.

From the start with a reported "issue" - 19 owners reported wind noise after reading the thread.

And as positive for the participation on this forum - and 8 forum members who do not currently own W205 made constructive comments.

For me - out of 104 W205 C's sold new thru my store - and 23 ex-loaner or pre-owned - my service director has not had any reports of the "issue".

I am not saying there have not been C-owner's that haven't had a issue - I am just saying I haven't seen it - and about 26 GLC's delivered - haven't had one with any wind noise issue - and none so far with 851 from Germany that I know of either..

Keep the beat !
Old 01-21-2016, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Specifically - in respect to the GLC for US market - code 851 which is the "acoustic glazed windshield and front side windows" - is a special order option in Germany as a SPC item with added option cost + SPC charge - and certain other countries other than Germany as as well.

However - code 851 is not a dealer orderable in the US build spec - the exception to that is if you order HUD for US market - you do get the "acoustic glazed" windshield on the build - no acoustic front side windows.

That said - under the "factory reserves the right to change specification without notice" - Bremen factory can choose to add code 851 when a US rig goes into production - it's their choice - I personally have not seen that happen on any of my GLC rigs yet - so I don't know if Bremen adds a invoice/dealer charge or not - if they do there would not be a added SPC charge.

On this subject - which has been good for me to follow - I called one of my friends at Bremen Jan 15 and asked him to add 851 for my daughters Jan 18 GLC build order - which he did for me. As I have not been dealer invoiced yet - I don't know if Bremen did a no charge factory sub or will add sticker or not - I "think" not.. heck, they know it's my daughter !

That - I was intrigued by this thread reported "W205" C-Class "issue.

Based on the thread that was posted under the Poll - it appears the Poll was stacked a bit.

Feb 7 2015 thru most recent post Sept 5 2015: 14 C-Class Owners voluntarily reported no wind noise problems whatsoever after reading the thread - and several commented the Poll as stated was stacked.

From the start with a reported "issue" - 19 owners reported wind noise after reading the thread.

And as positive for the participation on this forum - and 8 forum members who do not currently own W205 made constructive comments.

For me - out of 104 W205 C's sold new thru my store - and 23 ex-loaner or pre-owned - my service director has not had any reports of the "issue".

I am not saying there have not been C-owner's that haven't had a issue - I am just saying I haven't seen it - and about 26 GLC's delivered - haven't had one with any wind noise issue - and none so far with 851 from Germany that I know of either..

Keep the beat !
Your statistics just confirm that a Forum, populated with either enthusiasts or people who have complaints for the most part, isn't a fair representation of the vast majority of buyers in the real world.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I believe the forums are quite fair - and healthy feedback - that's why I participate - and heck, what I learned here got my daughter "acoustic glazed glass" - sh*t at MSRP $57K she already has about "everything else" ... now it's more "special".. I couldn't swing getting Bremen to hook her up with the Euro fragrance system a la S-Class..
Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
So I can call my dealer and ask them to modify my build (scheduled for late Feb) to add code 851? I did order the HUD so my windshield should be covered there.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW 330i

Can you do this for my wife GLC?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 4matic
From my impression, it seems forum owners of GLC300 in the USA, at least with the first batch of delivery all had acoustic front windows as "standard". I did not have to order them, it came with the vehicle and was not a priced option.

The excessive wind noise on our GLC300 is coming from the side window/mirrors.. so I don't think the acoustic glass really helps (or maybe it does else it might be worse). My guess, noise is probably from aerodynamics/side mirrors and occurs more when there is crosswinds (I wonder if MB engineers test NVH for cross winds in the wind tunnel or only head on). That said, even if I noticed the "higher wind noise" before purchasing our GLC, we would still have bought it, there many other positives that makes the GLC an excellent vehicle. But on the other hand, owners do have a right to complain as they have probably experienced lesser wind noise on other SUVS they currently own/or have owned.

For others reading this thread and have not purchased, they should do their own due diligence and test drive at highway speeds to see if it bothers them.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 AM

GLC300 4matic
I am just saying I haven't seen it - and about 26 GLC's delivered - haven't had one with any wind noise issue - and none so far with 851 from Germany that I know of either..
You can deduct a few from 851 as some of us owners have wind noise concerns and mine has been reported back to local dealer and MB Customer Service in NJ

Nice to hear opinions from a dealer's perspective too. Gives a balance to the forum for the neutral. Cheers!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 PM

There are apps for iOS and Android phones that measure sound levels. Maybe someone experiencing what they consider to be unusually loud noise can compare against another vehicle to provide some empirical data to the subject.
Granted, both would need to be driven on the same road, at the same speed and a few runs on each would be preferable to account for variances in wind, etc.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLK350, M3 ZCP
Originally Posted by GLCer
From my impression, it seems forum owners of GLC300 in the USA, at least with the first batch of delivery all had acoustic front windows as "standard". I did not have to order them, it came with the vehicle and was not a priced option.

The excessive wind noise on our GLC300 is coming from the side window/mirrors.. so I don't think the acoustic glass really helps (or maybe it does else it might be worse). My guess, noise is probably from aerodynamics/side mirrors and occurs more when there is crosswinds (I wonder if MB engineers test NVH for cross winds in the wind tunnel or only head on). That said, even if I noticed the "higher wind noise" before purchasing our GLC, we would still have bought it, there many other positives that makes the GLC an excellent vehicle. But on the other hand, owners do have a right to complain as they have probably experienced lesser wind noise on other SUVS they currently own/or have owned.

For others reading this thread and have not purchased, they should do their own due diligence and test drive at highway speeds to see if it bothers them.
Very well-stated.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Current: 2022 C300W4, 2016 Audi A8L Previous: 2019 C43W4
Please delete this post

Last edited by Grant Hummel; 01-22-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 PM

MB GLC300
Forum newbie here. We collected our GLC300 last week. Already have a few niggles

3. Lack of door ajar warning before driving off? I searched the manuals and did not find any information on how to set dash display to show which doors are open. I drove off from the parking lot with our 6 year old son in the rear. I closed all doors, drove off, and as we left the lot, the interior lights went on. I panicked, stopped the car and did not know what was happening. Walked to the back and found one of the doors unhinged. I did not see any door warning on dash or hear any alarm. Only interior lights went on. We normally don't use child proof locks for our six year old and he has never opened doors on a moving vehicle. I made sure doors were shut properly. Is this normal for a Mercedes to not have door ajar indicators or do they only come on when you exceed certain mph?

Joe
This past week, I did not shut d left rear door properly but d dash warning (including d location) did not show up until it was no longer convenient or very safe for me to stop. I do suspect as u do that it may have detected it after I reached a certain speed but this is awful n unsafe. My GLC should have warned me as soon as I started d car.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM

MB GLC300
Originally Posted by tron786
No it didn't work

Maybe because the iPhone memory of 128gb is too much for the car to handle
I have 128gb too but on iPhone 6 plus, n haven't seen that message.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 PM

2010 GLK350W4
GLC minor complaints

I bought my GLC about 1 month and ½ ago for my wife. Love the car so far. I kept the GLK 350 for myself. Some minor complaints on the GLC are:

1. The LEDs on the GLC 300 are inferior to the HIDs on my GLK 350. This is very disappointing since I thought the lighting package would be amazing. The cutoff is lower and the light output is much less. I prefer to drive the GLK 350 at night.

2. Power. When driving my GLC in "Comfort" mode it feel underpowered. However, in "Sport" and "Sport Plus" it feels great. However, I still prefer the v6 in my GLK.

3. Lack of dedicated climate control screen. While I appreciate the fact that Mercedes tried to integrate the climate control screen into the new large LCD screen, it is sometime hard to change the climate control while driving. Before it was easy to see and change the temperature settings.

4. No power passenger headrest. You need to order the "interior package" to get this.

Aside from these minor complaints, the GLC is a great crossover.

Last edited by pazbien; 01-31-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by pazbien
I bought my GLC about 1 month and ½ ago for my wife. Love the car so far. I kept the GLK 350 for myself. Some minor complaints on the GLC are:

1. The LEDs on the GLC 300 are inferior to the HIDs on my GLK 350. This is very disappointing since I thought the lighting package would be amazing. The cutoff is lower and the light output is much less. I prefer to drive the GLK 350 at night.
That is disappointing news on the LEDs
Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 AM

BMW 5 Series and BMW X3

2. Power. When driving my GLC in "Comfort" mode it feel underpowered. However, in "Sport" and "Sport Plus" it feels great. However, I still prefer the v6 in my GLK.

3. Lack of dedicated climate control screen. While I appreciate the fact that Mercedes tried to integrate the climate control screen into the new large LCD screen, it is sometime hard to change the climate control while driving. Before it was easy to see and change the temperature settings.

4. No power passenger headrest. You need to order the "interior package" to get this.

Is my understanding correct that the GLC doesn't offer HID's - That it's just halogen or LED's? I just began looking at the GLC as a possible replacement for our Q5 and am trying to understand what is available. Tks.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by BobinIL
Is my understanding correct that the GLC doesn't offer HID's - That it's just halogen or LED's? I just began looking at the GLC as a possible replacement for our Q5 and am trying to understand what is available. Tks.
Yes. LED only and only the intelligent LED system and no cheaper static LED option as is the case with the W205.

Xenons are old technology now and LED will be the standard for a while now.
The MB system is not as good as the matrix Led Audi offers but on par with HID I think
Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
We have the lighting package and think the led's are great at night. Much brighter than the xenon lights we had on our GL350. We also think the car drives great in comfort mode. We have the air suspension, which makes it handle great.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 AM

BMW 5 Series and BMW X3
Thanks guys. Looks like it will be LED's if we go with a GLC.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:09 AM

I would venture that this is less of a 'complaint' and more of a "things I wish I knew before I purchased" - which is helpful to others so thanks for sharing. IMHO, if the passenger wants to adjust the headrest, they can do it manually - it's the price of admission to ride in such a fine automobile.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:17 AM

GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by tigerflip
This past week, I did not shut d left rear door properly but d dash warning (including d location) did not show up until it was no longer convenient or very safe for me to stop. I do suspect as u do that it may have detected it after I reached a certain speed but this is awful n unsafe. My GLC should have warned me as soon as I started d car.
When I brought it up with the dealership, our service manager informed that the door ajar warning comes on only after 5mph. I tested it out on our GLC and can confirm that this is the case. When you pass 5mph, a red warning displays which door is open.

The other thing is that the inside door handle on the GLC is very "light" and can be easily nudged open. At the rear, if you have child seats or boosters, children can easily reach the handle. I asked if they could increase the spring tension but was told there is no fix at the moment. Normally my experience on other cars is that handles are put higher up in the door, or at least have higher initial resistance to avoid accidental opening. This looks like a design / safety oversight with MB. I have already reported this to MB corporate customer service and may raise it up with NHTSA to get MB to provide a fix.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 AM

GLC300 4matic
I wanted LEDs but didn't want to wait for a custom build but kind of regret not getting them. The halogens make the GLC look really cheap to me... the halogen light output is decent enough but yellow lights are so yesterday.. Even non luxury Korean and Japanese makers provide LEDs headlamps on some of their cheaper vehicles. Can't understand why MB can't put LEDs or HID as standard on a luxury vehicle.

I put ours in S mode all the time, even if I drive casually, it seems to feels smoother. I agree, while the GLC300 feels sufficienly powerful enough for day to day driving, I wish I had the smoothness of a 6 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder sounds like a diesel when idling. Maybe a GLC450 or GLC63 would be nice
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM

The other thing is that the inside door handle on the GLC is very "light" and can be easily nudged open. At the rear, if you have child seats or boosters, children can easily reach the handle. I asked if they could increase the spring tension but was told there is no fix at the moment. Normally my experience on other cars is that handles are put higher up in the door, or at least have higher initial resistance to avoid accidental opening. This looks like a design / safety oversight with MB. I have already reported this to MB corporate customer service and may raise it up with NHTSA to get MB to provide a fix.
Can you not turn on child safety locks for the rear doors?

I wanted LEDs but didn't want to wait for a custom build but kind of regret not getting them. The halogens make the GLC look really cheap to me... the halogen light output is decent enough but yellow lights are so yesterday.. Even non luxury Korean and Japanese makers provide LEDs headlamps on some of their cheaper vehicles. Can't understand why MB can't put LEDs or HID as standard on a luxury vehicle.
I agree...on MB LEDs should be standard equipment, even on the "lowest" line vehicles. If their reasoning is that it's a cost saving measure for those with a more meager budget then at the very least, it should be a standalone option and not part of a package that forces the buyer to pay for other things they may not want just to get the lights.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:07 PM

BMW 5 Series and BMW X3

I put ours in S mode all the time, even if I drive casually, it seems to feels smoother. I agree, while the GLC300 feels sufficienly powerful enough for day to day driving, I wish I had the smoothness of a 6 cylinder engine. The 4 cylinder sounds like a diesel when idling. Maybe a GLC450 or GLC63 would be nice
I was somewhat surprised to learn that halogens were the standard lights. I was mistakenly thinking maybe HID's (xenon) would be standard and LED's the upgrade. We have a BMW and they still offer all 3 types, but my guess is that won't last too much longer.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM

GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by JEVA
Can you not turn on child safety locks for the rear doors?
Yes, we now use the child locks. But still, the inside door handles are very light to touch and easily opened. Even our service manager said so, they have not seen a MB door handle which opens so easily.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Creaking noise from stearing column/behind instrument cluster

I finally found a bit of a complaint and will call up my dealer's service department shortly. Just yesterday, after a month and a half of driving the GLC, I started to hear a distinct creaking noise coming from what seemed to be deep down in the steering column/behind the instrument cluster (Yes, I EVEN checked the dual binnacles thinking it would be "funny" if they were loose and making the creaking sound, since I am suspicious of the binnacles in the first place). When it started, I heard it when driving over uneven surfaces or bumps, and then pretty quickly on I started to hear it even when making turns or accelerating. I've had very few issues come up with the three MBs I've had so far, and whenever one has come up, it's been taken care of at no cost, so I'm not particularly worried. This is a new model after all, but it is something.

Updated: Today the creaking noise occurs less often than it did yesterday. Now it only seems to happen when turning AND accelerating AND going up or down any kind of slope. Yesterday, I heard it from ANY turning motion, when driving over any kind of bumps in the road AND from just accelerating.

Glad I have a service appt for Monday morning to get it checked.

Last edited by GSOTXL; 02-05-2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: New information
The following users liked this post:
maylin (03-10-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC niggles, complaints and advice