GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

For those with wind noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
For those with wind noise

On my drive to Atlanta yesterday, I had turned the radio down and did notice a fair amount of wind noise which was weird because up until that point it hadn't been an issue. My passenger thought it was coming from the climate control vents. Sure enough, I turned the CC off and the noise stopped. So then I turned it back on and turned the air on re-circulate and no wind noise.
It would seem that the wind noise is actually coming from the vents but not created by the HVAC but rather from the air being channeled from the outside in.
Can anyone else reproduce this?
Old 05-28-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
I don't have the problem you describe, but noise created by air flow can be minimized by opening all vents. Are your rear vents opened? At the highest blower speed the noise is somewhat intrusive -- almost sounds/feels like an increase in engine idle speed when vehicle is at a stop. Of course, the blower speed can be adjusted manually, which I do at times.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Originally Posted by guido3
I don't have the problem you describe, but noise created by air flow can be minimized by opening all vents. Are your rear vents opened? At the highest blower speed the noise is somewhat intrusive -- almost sounds/feels like an increase in engine idle speed when vehicle is at a stop. Of course, the blower speed can be adjusted manually, which I do at times.
Yes, all the vents are open. It really has nothing to do with the blower speed/noise, it appears to be the noise of the external air intake being channeled through the HVAC. It must create a fair amount of turbulence. Not really a bother so much for me but those experiencing wind noise should check this before assuming it's because of non-acoustic windows.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by JEVA
Yes, all the vents are open. It really has nothing to do with the blower speed/noise, it appears to be the noise of the external air intake being channeled through the HVAC. It must create a fair amount of turbulence. Not really a bother so much for me but those experiencing wind noise should check this before assuming it's because of non-acoustic windows.
I see. I haven't noticed any unusual or obtrusive "noise" with respect to the HVAC air intake, and, as an engineer, I usually notice such things. I have acoustic glass, but I understand that you've eliminated that as a possible source for the noise you've noted. There's no doubt in my view that the GLC has an exceptionally quiet interior -- probably both with or without acoustic glass.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
no difference when I tried...I think most cars have this issue about wind noise
Old 05-29-2016, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 GLC300 4MATIC
On my drive to Atlanta yesterday, I had turned the radio down and did notice a fair amount of wind noise which was weird because up until that point it hadn't been an issue. My passenger thought it was coming from the climate control vents. Sure enough, I turned the CC off and the noise stopped. So then I turned it back on and turned the air on re-circulate and no wind noise.
It would seem that the wind noise is actually coming from the vents but not created by the HVAC but rather from the air being channeled from the outside in.
I have experienced this. Wife and I noticed it when we were first driving our GLC from the dealer at highway speeds. Interior wind noise seemed loud and we pushed the re-circulate button and it got quieter. It also seems to a be from the passenger side. The recirculate only stays on for so long so we had to keep pushing it to keep the car quieter and because we prefer recirculate...
Old 05-29-2016, 03:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 250D
I find the HVAC noisy an intrusive at a setting above 3.
I haven't tried but I still feel the turbulence noise is related to the mirror design rather than this.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM

2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by tron786
I find the HVAC noisy an intrusive at a setting above 3.
I haven't tried but I still feel the turbulence noise is related to the mirror design rather than this.
I'm not experiencing the "turbulence noise" so I can't offer much except that I know Mercedes is a detail oriented company and that the exterior mirrors are aerodynamically designed in conjunction with a wind tunnel analysis. Even the groove you see on the top of the mirror behind the black rim around the mirror housing has a specific aerodynamic purpose for reducing wind noise. The mirror design is probably optimized and not causing much wind noise. But???
Old 01-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 250d

Hello and Happy New year,

I have a glc 250d with similar air noise, did you find a solution?
Old 01-05-2021, 03:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
Originally Posted by guido3
I'm not experiencing the "turbulence noise" so I can't offer much except that I know Mercedes is a detail oriented company and that the exterior mirrors are aerodynamically designed in conjunction with a wind tunnel analysis. Even the groove you see on the top of the mirror behind the black rim around the mirror housing has a specific aerodynamic purpose for reducing wind noise. The mirror design is probably optimized and not causing much wind noise. But???
I disagree with what u mentioned, I asked the dealer and he said that the main issue is with the mirror and that is why the noise. He said try to fold in and drive, u will notice more quite interior. Not able to fold in while driving though so couldn't ensure his comments. My car is 2020 glc coupe