GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Marketing the GLC - U.S. vs. Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4MATIC (formerly: 2010 Lexus RX 350 & 2013 Mercedes-Benz B250)
Marketing the GLC - U.S. vs. Canada

As of July 2016, the 2016 YTD sales of the GLK/GLC in the U.S. were up 65.9% over the same period in 2015.

In Canada, the July 2016 YTD sales were DOWN 26.6% over the same period in 2015.

Rumour (I'm Canadian, so it's not "rumor") has it that Mercedes-Benz Canada is purposely constraining the supply of GLCs. If so, why? What strategic purpose would that serve?

Just asking an innocent question.

When I was considering the purchase of a GLC at the beginning of July, the dealer (in Vancouver, BC) had no stock of GLCs. The only one at the dealership was the demonstrator car, and they wouldn't sell it - if they did, they wouldn't have anything to demonstrate!

In the end, I placed an order, and am now waiting (sorta patiently) for its arrival.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please remember the GLC - here in the US - August/Sept introduction was delayed into November starting deliveries - and US GLC pipeline built-up and meant more units were delivered in Jan/Feb/Mar than normally planned.

GLC acceptance/sales-strength was high - so higher 1Q inventory (over "normal") - translated into GLC sales increase - and for this model we still have high demand - all win/win.

Canada didn't have the bump US did - but have similar high acceptance.

Good move ordering the GLC the way you really want it - top value for you..
Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Canada didn't have the bump US did - but have similar high acceptance.
Unfortunately, I can't confirm the "similar high acceptance" part - the dealers have no GLCs to sell, here, hence there aren't many (any?) on the road. In the past two months, I've seen about four or five GLCs on the road or in a parking lot. That's all!

I think the Tesla Model S is less rare than the GLC around here!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:06 AM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
Yeah - not as many seen on the road in my part of Canada as I anticipated by this point.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by BCRCornet
Unfortunately, I can't confirm the "similar high acceptance" part - the dealers have no GLCs to sell, here, hence there aren't many (any?) on the road. In the past two months, I've seen about four or five GLCs on the road or in a parking lot. That's all!

I think the Tesla Model S is less rare than the GLC around here!
When I got my car in April I thought I was special but now it's quickly becoming every middle aged lady's grocery car. I don't know about Vancouver but I see a lot on the road in Burnaby and Richmond.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
When I got my car in April I thought I was special but now it's quickly becoming every middle aged lady's grocery car. I don't know about Vancouver but I see a lot on the road in Burnaby and Richmond.
That must be it! The GLC is rare to non-existent hereabouts.

I moved from Burnaby to Coquitlam at the beginning of June.

Does your dealer have many (any?) in stock, on the lot?
Old 09-04-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by BCRCornet
That must be it! The GLC is rare to non-existent hereabouts.

I moved from Burnaby to Coquitlam at the beginning of June.

Does your dealer have many (any?) in stock, on the lot?
No idea lol I bought it in Ottawa and drove it to Burnaby. Haven't had the need to visit the dealer here yet.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 GLC3004M P02
Not just Canada?

I'm in Maryland US and the GLC is still few and far between on the roads here. I have to believe that the bulk of these are going to California, or at least not here. I've had mine for about 5 weeks now, and I've seen less than a half dozen others on the road (and I'm on the road for 2-1/2 hours/day, and I notice). It isn't an MB thing; C sedans are as common as Camrys here. Oddly, there's 3 GLCs including mine in the garage where I work, out of about 80 cars. So taste definitely has something to do with it
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
I'm in the Los Angeles area and they are not very common here. I watch for them and seem to only see a couple per week. (My commute is a total of 41 miles, so I'm on the road for over an hour per day.) I am slowly starting to see more of them, though.