HotRodW (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
Very cool--thanks for posting!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
I wish MB luck. It's a really tough field of finalists this year. The Q7 and F-Pace have been subject to near universal praise, and Mazda has done wonders with the new CX-9. Plus Mazda benefits from underdog status, and we know the world loves an underdog. But will the CX-9's poor packaging do it in?

I don't think the Acadia moves the needle enough, but Motor Trend has shown a GM lean in recent years, so you never know.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I wish MB luck. It's a really tough field of finalists this year. The Q7 and F-Pace have been subject to near universal praise, and Mazda has done wonders with the new CX-9. Plus Mazda benefits from underdog status, and we know the world loves an underdog. But will the CX-9's poor packaging do it in?

I don't think the Acadia moves the needle enough, but Motor Trend has shown a GM lean in recent years, so you never know.
As do I. Altho the criteria (listed below), could give advantages to the GLC on value, engineering and maybe safety .... especially value against the audi and Jag

Criteria
Design Advancement well-executed exterior and interior styling; innovative vehicle packaging; selection of materials

Engineering Excellence
vehicle concept and execution; clever solutions to packaging, manufacturing and dynamics issues; cost-effective technology that benefits the consumer

Efficiency
low fuel consumption and carbon footprint, relative to the vehicle's competitive set

Safety
active: help the driver avoid a crash; secondary: protect occupants from harm during a crash

Value
competitive price and equipment levels, measured against vehicles in the same market segment

Performance of Intended Function
how well the vehicle does the job its planners, designers, and engineers intended
Old 11-03-2016, 03:28 PM

GLC

Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
As do I. Altho the criteria (listed below), could give advantages to the GLC on value, engineering and maybe safety .... especially value against the audi and Jag

Criteria
Design Advancement...
Engineering Excellence...
Efficiency...
Safety...
Value...
Performance of Intended Function...
I think the GLC is the front-runner, although I agree the Audi and Jag are strong contenders. The Jag has to be optioned heavily to be competitive, IMHO, and the Audi is damn expensive, so it depends on how heavily they weigh value. I think the GLC is the best all-around package and is well-balanced in all the criteria.

The Mazda, while a very nice vehicle, is lacking in performance--the engine is pretty small for such a large vehicle. Very well-appointed, though. I would definitely consider it if I were in the market for a full-sized SUV.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:03 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack

Criteria
Design Advancement well-executed exterior and interior styling; innovative vehicle packaging; selection of materials

Engineering Excellence
vehicle concept and execution; clever solutions to packaging, manufacturing and dynamics issues; cost-effective technology that benefits the consumer

Efficiency
low fuel consumption and carbon footprint, relative to the vehicle's competitive set

Safety
active: help the driver avoid a crash; secondary: protect occupants from harm during a crash

Value
competitive price and equipment levels, measured against vehicles in the same market segment

Performance of Intended Function
how well the vehicle does the job its planners, designers, and engineers intended
I'm a Motor Trend subscriber, but I have serious issues with the way the run their of-the-Year awards. Most of their recent choices had serious flaws. The Colorado, for example, wasn't deemed to be the best truck. Not even close, actually. It was simply moved the bar the most for its category (a category of 2, which included such standouts as the ancient Frontier and Tacoma). The Colorado won ToY the following year simply by adding a diesel engine option. Historically engine changes alone did not qualify as a major refresh, which is what is supposed to be required to be considered for any MT of-the-Year award.

Originally Posted by clarst
I think the GLC is the front-runner, although I agree the Audi and Jag are strong contenders. The Jag has to be optioned heavily to be competitive, IMHO, and the Audi is damn expensive, so it depends on how heavily they weigh value. I think the GLC is the best all-around package and is well-balanced in all the criteria.

The Mazda, while a very nice vehicle, is lacking in performance--the engine is pretty small for such a large vehicle. Very well-appointed, though. I would definitely consider it if I were in the market for a full-sized SUV.
The Mazda is very nice, but it has a couple critical flaws. The packaging favors form over function, so space utilization is terrible for such a big vehicle. It's also missing Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and the AC has been routinely criticized for not being able to cool the interior. Unacceptable. The engine's torque makes it livable in daily driving, but the fuel economy is nothing spectacular. I might take another look at the CX-9 myself, but only because I'm pretty disgusted with most of the alternatives.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C43
Just announced the winner tonight and the GLC won!!!

http://www.motortrend.com/news/merce...v-of-the-year/
The following 7 users liked this post by aaronpatrick01:
BCRCornet (11-15-2016), ble2716 (11-15-2016), clarst (11-15-2016), cldriver (11-15-2016), HotRodW (11-15-2016), rihallix (12-01-2016), Teckno (11-15-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
That's very good news indeed.
Makes me feel even better after I took the delivery.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
I agree with GLC as the JAG is good but the interior is pretty poor for the money.. Macan, the rear seat space is dire compared to the GLC and pricy..
Old 11-15-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
Really? Dirty sensors prevented cruise control? I'm assuming the article meant specifically the "adaptive" cruise control.

Has anyone run into this? This seems kind of like a non-issue to people who keep their car clean. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that if it rains just a tiny bit that the adaptive cruise control system can't work. I would assume MB wouldn't design a dud of a system like that and put that on a vehicle starting at ~$39k.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Originally Posted by Witch
Really? Dirty sensors prevented cruise control? I'm assuming the article meant specifically the "adaptive" cruise control.

Has anyone run into this? This seems kind of like a non-issue to people who keep their car clean. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that if it rains just a tiny bit that the adaptive cruise control system can't work. I would assume MB wouldn't design a dud of a system like that and put that on a vehicle starting at ~$39k.
Wondered the same thing, what's it going to do with a bunch of ice buildup on the radar sensor? Not that I would drive with cruise in those conditions but there are times it could happen then hit dry roads...
Old 11-16-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I've had it go wrong on my Golf R, there was also dirt build up but it was pretty severe. Rain doesn't affect it at all. However, a rock from the car infront got my sensor slightly moved. The realignment was eye wateringly expensive. No idea what it is with Mercedes as I didn't require it on my GL in 3 years 45K miles, and don't have it on my GLC.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Witch

In Jan. after driving several miles on slushy roads I attempted to engage Distronic and got a failure warning. Stopped at a gas station and sure enough the sensors were covered by slush. Removed slush and Distronic operated normally.

Since then have driven in heavy rain with no effect on Distronic.

The Operator's Manual, in two places, advises of this issue.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 11-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:49 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Front page news!

Front page news for sure...
https://mbworld.org/articles/mercede...v-year-honors/
Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Coupe. 2007 SL55. 1992 911 C2 Coupe
Congrats to the engineers that developed the 2017 GLC. The win is truly deserved!!!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
there must have been some serious lack of suv choices this year........

the base GLC's 2.0 turbo is a joke of an engine. who wants a premium branded $50k+ vehicle that sounds like a $20k civic?

i'd much rather have the old glk's v6. not as efficient as the i4 turbo, but who gives 2 *****s about efficiency on a benz?????? Benzes are all about excess.
you want efficiency, get a CR-V, or RAV4. they are also a lot more usable day to day than a benz will ever be and MUCH cheaper. so much more value for your dollar.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz

the base GLC's 2.0 turbo is a joke of an engine. who wants a premium branded $50k+ vehicle that sounds like a $20k civic?

i'd much rather have the old glk's v6. not as efficient as the i4 turbo, but who gives 2 *****s about efficiency on a benz?????? Benzes are all about excess.
you want efficiency, get a CR-V, or RAV4. they are also a lot more usable day to day than a benz will ever be and MUCH cheaper. so much more value for your dollar.
I suspect some popcorn will be in order

But I do agree a bit with the sentiment, whilst we have no petrol 4-cyl option, I do feel the same about the small diesels in the UK. And not just on the GLC but also on the E class. I just don't get it, sound horrible, and makes me feel like doing a Fred Flintstone. And not just Mercedes, the Audi ones are also underpowered.

Saying that, people are lapping them up like there is no tomorrow, so plenty of people like them and good on them. Mercedes does seem to know what they are doing....
Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 PM

GLC

Ha, I couldn't disagree more. The GLC is a great blend of performance and efficiency--and I care immensely about the latter. A great combo with that 9-speed tranny.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
+1
Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 PM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
Wow - totally disagree with you. I think it is an outstanding SUV!

Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
i know i must have rattled a beehive, but nevertheless it is my opinion.

i'm a petrolhead myself. i've never owned a 4 cyl car before. all i had was oldsmobile with a v8, mustang cobra with a v8, maxima v6, g35 v6, E320 v6. all of them sounded fantastic.

but now, being in my mid 30's, i wanted something luxurious, quiet, feel good to the touch, and refined car. My current C fits that criteria.

Don't get me wrong, the GLC is a great car, considering that it shares a lot with my current car + some bits from E class. but that engine is BLASPHEMY on a $50k car. The engine.............belongs on a sub $30k car. is not the lack of power, it provides plenty for everyday driving. But the sound? i'm embaarrassed to even press on the gas pedal all the way.

at least i save money on gas, LOL.

Again, just my opinion. i apologize if it offends anyone in any way.

Last edited by NYbenzzz; 11-22-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
The manufacturers are under tremendous pressure to boost fuel economy 50 percent to a fleet average of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. That's why they have the smaller turbo engines, auto start/stop features and transmissions with 9 speeds.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:32 PM

2021 GLE450

i'm a petrolhead myself. i've never owned a 4 cyl car before. all i had was oldsmobile with a v8, mustang cobra with a v8, maxima v6, g35 v6, E320 v6. all of them sounded fantastic.

but now, being in my mid 30's, i wanted something luxurious, quiet, feel good to the touch, and refined car. My current C fits that criteria.

Don't get me wrong, the GLC is a great car, considering that it shares a lot with my current car + some bits from E class. but that engine is BLASPHEMY on a $50k car. The engine.............belongs on a sub $30k car. is not the lack of power, it provides plenty for everyday driving. But the sound? i'm embaarrassed to even press on the gas pedal all the way.

I must be missing something here. You own a 4-cylinder C Class, you claim it's luxurious, quiet and refined, but you hate the engine sound?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
I must be missing something here. You own a 4-cylinder C Class, you claim it's luxurious, quiet and refined, but you hate the engine sound?
Clearly because it doesn't thump his chest hard and loud enough. You know guys like him. Their bark is worse than their bite. It's all about loud noises and a narrow mindset on what masculinity is with those types of people.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:55 PM

GLC

Hey, your opinion is just as valid as mine--there's nothing wrong with disagreeing in a respectful manner. No beehives, and certainly no need to apologize.

Almost all of the auto makers have gone to smaller turbo engines. Yes, not as visceral as the larger ones, but everything is a tradeoff. Ample power and better mileage. And a big step forward to meet corporate mandates for fuel economy.

But then again, I'm currently driving an electric car, so it's not too hard to figure out which side of the power vs. efficiency fence I land on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.