Options: Driving Assistance package & Intelligent LED lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
Options: Driving Assistance package & Intelligent LED lights

Hi just trying to decide the final spec for my future GLC

It will be GLC 250d AMG Line in Obsidian Black with Premium Plus package.

+ these options
360 camera
running boards
20'' wheels

Out of the additional options I'm mostly not sure about these 2 as I don't know if it's worth paying additional £2k on top of already expensive package.

Driving Assistance package
Intelligent LED lights

Does anyone have these? Do you find these features useful in real life conditions? I'm driving mostly in city and only occasionally outside of the town.

Any help appreciated
Old 11-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by madeinstein
Hi just trying to decide the final spec for my future GLC

It will be GLC 250d AMG Line in Obsidian Black with Premium Plus package.

+ these options
360 camera
running boards
20'' wheels

Out of the additional options I'm mostly not sure about these 2 as I don't know if it's worth paying additional £2k on top of already expensive package.

Driving Assistance package
Intelligent LED lights

Does anyone have these? Do you find these features useful in real life conditions? I'm driving mostly in city and only occasionally outside of the town.

Any help appreciated

- Driving Assistance package is a personal preference....some members here have it and they said it's worth it.
I didn't get them so I can't comment about it.

- Intelligent LED lights are also a personal preference but I think you should get it. It makes the car looks much much better.
I know some people didn't get it but end up regret about it.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi,
We have a 250d in Oz.
Agree with previous comments. We have both, however the Inteligent LED system "is to die for" ! It is fantastic, I love the way the lights work. There are several utube videos showing hoe it works.
Have a look at this site,
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owner...ts_and_mirrors
Do a search for the video on the lights, worth it.
I use adaptive cruise control nearly every time I drive, reduced risk of speeding fines and reasonable at collision avoidance, that bit still needs a lot of trust on my part..... jury still out on late minute braking !
Was in car with instructor demo the pedestrian avoidance, emergency auto braking from 40kph, OMG, car stopped, no driver input, hands off wheel, feet on floor, no pedal assist !
Hope I never need to test it.
Good luck.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4MATIC (formerly: 2010 Lexus RX 350 & 2013 Mercedes-Benz B250)
Intelligent LED Light System

Originally Posted by Teckno
... the Inteligent LED system "is to die for" ! It is fantastic, I love the way the lights work. There are several utube videos showing hoe it works.
Have a look at this site,
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owner...ts_and_mirrors
Do a search for the video on the lights, worth it.
+1!
Old 11-13-2016, 03:54 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
In my opinion;
- 360 Camera is a gimmick on the GLC sized vehicle. I had it on the GL which is much much bigger and during the 3 years / 45K Miles it was perhaps twice useful to park a little quicker. And 50 times great to show off
- Side steps again are for showing off. They serve no functional purpose unless you are super short. The car is low, very low compared to other SUVs. You will step over them, and more than often actually catch your trousers on them and dirty them. So again in my opinion purely for the look (if you like that 'rugged' look on a city car when you go for AMG Line).
- 20" Wheels, essential in my opinion to balance the look of the car, especially in AMG Line. HOWEVER Only in combination with Airmatic Suspension, I would not entertain those with standard suspension, especially not on the rubbish UK roads be it around town or country.

- Driving Assistance package, the only thing I would find useful is the automatic distance control cruise control. I use that on motorways and A roads a lot on our outgoing GL, and also on my Golf R. But my wife never ever even tried it in the last three years. The in the package I really can't get excited about, I'd use it if it came as standard but wouldn't pay the extra for it. I just can see the value for me.
- LED+ ILS, oh yes this is a wonderful system and compared to the previous ILS I had on my GL (and the VW version on the Golf R) it is on steroids. It is really good. But saying that I do live in the country and require many unlit roads and lanes to get to where we need to be. If you are a Citi dweller you will not gain the same benefit.

All in my opinion of-course.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:16 AM

GLC
360 camera - Does it only give you top view? I thought it also adds left/right view when reversing from parking etc.. this seems more useful? - Or is this standard?
See 3:10 on this video

Side Steps - Yes it's cosmetic.. I think GLC looks particularly good with them though. Wasn't so sure about this on other cars. I wonder if they stick out to the side more than a door though. Remember when I parked next to RR Discovery once I noticed that my door would touch the side steps rather than RR door meaning it's less likely that someone would hit the car when opening a door on the car park. Not sure if it's the case with GLC? But if the side steps would protect the door that would be money well spend.

20'' wheels - I think it's one of the best rims I've seen on the market. Yes the comfort will suffer but they do look great on AMG Linee! Re Airmatic I've read that if you want to keep the car for many years this might become expensive option as the maintenance/repair costs are high. I don't expect high millage on mine (less than 10k miles a year) so maybe it's worth considering airmatic?

Driving Assistance package - I was mostly thinking about safety additions not the semi-autonomous driving. I like the features when the car corrects driver mistakes, like auto-breaking, cross traffic assist, blink spot assist etc..

Intelligent LED - thanks for all the input looks like it's worth having.

Night Pack - I saw the GLC in the car park in Obsidian Black with Night Pack. It looked perfect! Never had a chance to see it in Chrome though so difficult to compare.

GLC AMG Line 250d 20" Wheels Night Pack
Old 11-14-2016, 02:17 AM

right to be forgotten
You can switch to any different camera angle if you want. Can't say that I've felt with the GL class ever the need to use the detailed left right view other than once when I was off-road and close to the edge of a rock. Using it for normal parking situations is a weird angle, unnecessary unless you've got some unusual space to get into, and just slows it down. I had mine on top view and rear view for 99% of the time. And yes seeing whether you are within the white lines is great but it is also in reality a need caused by the system as if you used the mirrors as per normal then you'd already know whether you are within the lines.

oh and no the sidesteps don't protect your doors unless perhaps it's a Ferrari parked next to it. They are too low and too much into it. Any normal sized SUV with the kiddies in the back will continue to just swing their doors open into your vehicle

also remember if if you go for the night pack, then those side running boards will not be black. Likewise there are no all black wheel options unless you go for after market ones. So from a styling perspective you be missing some styling clues that tie it all back together in my opinion.

Last edited by dejongj; 11-14-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by dejongj
You can switch to any different camera angle if you want. Can't say that I've felt with the GL class ever the need to use the detailed left right view other than once when I was off-road and close to the edge of a rock. Using it for normal parking situations is a weird angle, unnecessary unless you've got some unusual space to get into, and just slows it down. I had mine on top view and rear view for 99% of the time. And yes seeing whether you are within the white lines is great but it is also in reality a need caused by the system as if you used the mirrors as per normal then you'd already know whether you are within the lines.

oh and no the sidesteps don't protect your doors unless perhaps it's a Ferrari parked next to it. They are too low and too much into it. Any normal sized SUV with the kiddies in the back will continue to just swing their doors open into your vehicle

also remember if if you go for the night pack, then those side running boards will not be black. Likewise there are no all black wheel options unless you go for after market ones. So from a styling perspective you be missing some styling clues that tie it all back together in my opinion.
I have found the side steps to be more a pain then benefit.. every time you get out of the car, it rubs to the back of your leg and marks the trousers.. hence I didn't order them on my ML nor on the GLC. They do make the car look a little more squat but does not help in any other way.

As to the 360 camera, nice to have and mostly use the rear camera 99% of the time.. and 360 is only used if I am within the lines.. then remembering that we used to park cars without cameras and never had a problem with it, it just makes us a little lazy.. nice feature to have though..
Old 11-16-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d
GLC AMG Line 250d 20" Wheels Night Pack
Think I still prefer the 19" Night pack wheels

Intelligent LED - definitely, love it

Distronic - I will not buy another car without this type of Radar technology. I use it extensively - whether it's driving through 30mph villages or cruising at 90 on the motorway - I always use it. Takes the hassle out of driving and also really relaxes the driver. A very happy customer! It's also saved me once as well...

GLC AMG Line 250d 19" Wheels Night Pack
Old 11-16-2016, 07:52 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by Mikeyking
Think I still prefer the 19" Night pack wheels
19'' seems like sensible option as you get more comfort.

Regarding Night Pack I wonder how the black part of the rims will look like after couple of scratches. I guess it's just a black paint so it's aluminium under that.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:45 AM

right to be forgotten

Regarding Night Pack I wonder how the black part of the rims will look like after couple of scratches. I guess it's just a black paint so it's aluminium under that.
Non air suspension - yes most definitely. But I wouldn't want a car like this without the air suspension personally.

It will need to be very deep scratches - I wouldn't go off-roading with them, hence the off-road package vehicle comes with different wheels etc...
Old 11-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250d

Also, in the UK, the 19" wheels commanded a lower CO2 rating than the 20" wheels which meant that company car users like myself would have been stung for more tax on the 20".

I'm glad I went for the 19s tbh. I have the air suspension as well.

I managed to 'rim' the car wheel the other day but, luckily (?!) it was on the silver outer banding so doesn't look too bad. Here's how it looked before the ding where you can see any ******* of the wheel will mostly be taken on the silver colour and not the black.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:36 PM

right to be forgotten
Also, in the UK, the 19" wheels commanded a lower CO2 rating than the 20" wheels which meant that company car users like myself would have been stung for more tax on the 20".

I'm glad I went for the 19s tbh. I have the air suspension as well.

I managed to 'rim' the car wheel the other day but, luckily (?!) it was on the silver outer banding so doesn't look too bad. Here's how it looked before the ding where you can see any ******* of the wheel will mostly be taken on the silver colour and not the black.

Did you get a quote to get it fixed yet? I wonder how much it would be...
Old 11-17-2016, 06:31 PM

GLC
I have the air suspension as well.
How do you find it on the potholes, bumps etc? It would be cool if you could comment on this thread
For me AirSuspension is pushing the price to the level I'm not sure I want to go to
I managed to 'rim' the car wheel the other day but, luckily (?!) it was on the silver outer banding so doesn't look too bad.
Yes I've been there. I guess generally with 19'' it's less likely to happen as well. Another benefit.

Here's how it looked before the ding where you can see any ******* of the wheel will mostly be taken on the silver colour and not the black.
I like 19'' in black more than the normal. 20'' i think both look good.