GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
Originally Posted by dejongj
Oh dear it is all starting again...Mine has been pretty good on the replacement BMW tyres, but now they are nearly worn (9K miles) it is mildly coming back again...I'll have to replace the tyres myself this time due to fair wear and tear and we'll see what happens...

Figures. It's so nasty on my Conti's right now with the cold that I'm not sure there is a tire out there that will fix the scrubbing for my fitment. Hopefully, Michelin comes out with something before my tires wear out.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by VET11B
Figures. It's so nasty on my Conti's right now with the cold that I'm not sure there is a tire out there that will fix the scrubbing for my fitment. Hopefully, Michelin comes out with something before my tires wear out.
Which Conti's do you have? I had the MO marked one's originally and they were terrible...but fair is fair the Star marked ones (BMW and Rolls Royce) with contiseal technology have been really good...
Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Those are the ones. Good to know on the Contiseal, as I figured them to be worse due to their extended mobility nature. Still I am leery to go with another Conti product; especially, if you're only able to get 9K out of the more expensive version....
Old 12-04-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 43 AMG COUPE
Hey do these problems relate only to the GLC or do you know if it occurs with the C 43 Coupé as well ..?
thanks
Old 12-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dazzler4mb
Hey do these problems relate only to the GLC or do you know if it occurs with the C 43 Coupé as well ..?
thanks

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the platforms are different; therefore, I would not assume it to be an issue for the C-class.
The following users liked this post:
dazzler4mb (12-04-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Sorry to hear that this problem has once again raised its head as temperatures have dropped. It really looked like it had been solved simply using better conti tyres, although one wonders whether there is a fundamental geometry steering issue with the GLC? I myself cancelled my GLC order due to this issue for an F-Pace with 22" wheels. This is not immune - I get slight click on a cold day when I leave my drive, but that's it thankfully! Good luck to all here.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Sorry to hear that this problem has once again raised its head as temperatures have dropped. It really looked like it had been solved simply using better conti tyres, although one wonders whether there is a fundamental geometry steering issue with the GLC? I myself cancelled my GLC order due to this issue for an F-Pace with 22" wheels. This is not immune - I get slight click on a cold day when I leave my drive, but that's it thankfully! Good luck to all here.

You know, I don't think this is a tire issue as it only happens the first time I turn the car tight. Maybe 50m of movement before my subsequent tight maneuver and no scrubbing. If it was the tires they take a lot more time to heat up than the short distance I am moving. Anyone try diff fluid exchange with something other than OEM fluid (thinking something like BG's full synthetic Gear Oil).....actually, isn't the front diff open? If it is, then I might be barking up the wrong tree here.
The following users liked this post:
Teckno (02-21-2020)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Even the first turn of the wheels and the subsequent movement in the tyre blocks can be enough 'free-up' the tyre and stop the issue. What I didn't add above is that I have just put new wheels with winter tyres on and I don't even get the click now.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Sounds like treating the symptom not the cause, but I could be way off base.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Replacing Summer tyres on the GLC family of vehicles, whether runflat or conventional tyres with All Season, M&S run flats ( not seen conventional MS tyres here in Oz) seems to be the solution.
The problem remains sourcing Tyre sizing for each variant, some straight wheel set up, others with staggered rims.
We are running Goodyea Eagle Sports, All Season, M&S, runflats and transformation has been excellent. Tyres have a treadwea rating of 560, which indicated hopefully a longer life.
Fitted to 250d, wagon, looking at options for 250d Coupe with staggered rims, all 20” variety, AMG stock.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by VET11B
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the platforms are different; therefore, I would not assume it to be an issue for the C-class.
I was told by my salesman that the memo from MBA said that it is potentially an issue for all MB vehicles with the recent 4Matic drive system. He mentioned a number of models, not all SUV. It didn't include the C-class sedan, unless there's a 4Matic version that I've forgotten about.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM

E400w
My 2018 E63s wagon has this problem. I was really surprised and called the shop. They told me that it was normal. This is really pronounced when I pull out of my driveway but not present once the care is warm. I just took delivery on Saturday.

When I turn the wheel all the way to one side and back out it feels l like there is a softball stuck on my tire that I continue to roll over after every revolution.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Lenkowski
My 2018 E63s wagon has this problem. I was really surprised and called the shop. They told me that it was normal. This is really pronounced when I pull out of my driveway but not present once the care is warm. I just took delivery on Saturday.

When I turn the wheel all the way to one side and back out it feels l like there is a softball stuck on my tire that I continue to roll over after every revolution.

WOW! This is ridiculous. I was hoping the 4matic+ would not have the same issue. Crazy that tires are getting blamed on this as it seems to be a combination of things that tires are merely a bandaid for. Unfortunate that such an expensive vehicle has this issue.

Hopefully, a good all season performance tire will come to market before mine wear out. I really love my GLC43, but damn if this isn't almost a deal breaker on the car. For me, I have the issue present at anything below 60º with it progressively getting worse as it get's colder. Anything 30º or colder leads to the car plowing until getting several miles under it's belt. Starting to get used to it, though, and have decided to disable the stability control so I can maintain some semblance of control of the vehicle (slides so bad power gets cut to the car and brings it to a stop).

Shame such a great vehicle has such a pronounced issue. It's very disappointing.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 AM

C43 AMG
As a long-time Mercedes owner (with successive cars), I replaced my C Class 350 CDI (a great car) with a new C Class 43 AMG estate in June 2017. Looking forward to the excitement of this somewhat expensive but nevertheless sporty estate, I was really disappointed – not in the car’s performance but with the discomfort of the ride, the road noise (particularly over concrete sections of motorway), and the tyre grabbing on lock, which was both extremely irritating and an embarrassment.I noted all this to MB World in Surrey in September 2017 and all they did was fob me off and advised at my expense that I should change to winter tyres.I found this answer unacceptable so, following a persistent complaint period, they eventually caved in and have replaced the tyres with Bridgestone Potenza S001s at their expense. Early days but the car is much improved, with ride more comfortable, road noise much reduced, and no grabbing on half or full lock, even in the extreme cold.Why am I posting this when I possibly should be pleased with the outcome because for the first seven months of ownership of the car I had to put up with the rubbish Dunlop tyres they provided, which I think is a poor reflection on their integrity in failing to deal with this problem from the get go when I first complained.I recommend that anyone with the same problems insist MB World provide them with a replacement set of tyres f.o.c., dialling out the above problems.

Paul Conway
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by paul.c43amg
As a long-time Mercedes owner (with successive cars), I replaced my C Class 350 CDI (a great car) with a new C Class 43 AMG estate in June 2017. Looking forward to the excitement of this somewhat expensive but nevertheless sporty estate, I was really disappointed – not in the car’s performance but with the discomfort of the ride, the road noise (particularly over concrete sections of motorway), and the tyre grabbing on lock, which was both extremely irritating and an embarrassment.I noted all this to MB World in Surrey in September 2017 and all they did was fob me off and advised at my expense that I should change to winter tyres.I found this answer unacceptable so, following a persistent complaint period, they eventually caved in and have replaced the tyres with Bridgestone Potenza S001s at their expense. Early days but the car is much improved, with ride more comfortable, road noise much reduced, and no grabbing on half or full lock, even in the extreme cold.Why am I posting this when I possibly should be pleased with the outcome because for the first seven months of ownership of the car I had to put up with the rubbish Dunlop tyres they provided, which I think is a poor reflection on their integrity in failing to deal with this problem from the get go when I first complained.I recommend that anyone with the same problems insist MB World provide them with a replacement set of tyres f.o.c., dialling out the above problems.

Paul Conway
Paul, where are you based?, which country.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Philamg
SIDE BAR: This site really needs to force people to pick a Country and/or Region (maybe a drop down list) when signing up for access to the Forums.

Carry on...
Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Since he mentions Surrey, I assume he's in the UK, but I agree, it's useful to know the poster's country as there are a lot of differences in options and specs between countries. Also in MB responses to issues such as this.

Paul - I'm a first time MB owner (and in another country (no dead wenches that I know of)) and perhaps I'd know the answer to this if I was also a long-term MB owner. Does the new car have RFT, and what did the old car have? That may explain part of the difference in ride quality. I had similar reservations about RFT and have switched. I'm not familiar with the C Class 43 AMG estate, so I found this UK review and it's a bit negative about the ride quality, but doesn't mention the tyres.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...e-2016-review/

As a first-time MB owner (and having now bought two of them) I agree with Paul's comment about integrity. I have been rather non-plussed about the MBA response to this issue. MBUK has been a bit better, but only because the problem is worse in the UK climate and so they had no choice, but even then, from what I read it's been a struggle. The issue of integrity has me questioning whether I will be a long-term MB owner, also servicing costs. MB know that they have an issue with this latest 4matic RHD conversion, but don't seem to be doing anything about it.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
bips, MB UK'S response WAS better in February, they have now found that they cannot supply all weather tyres for 19 and 20 inch wheels on the GLC43 it has changed. I have 19 inch wheels and they have offered me a set of 21 inch wheels with all weather tyres BUT I have to pay 50% of the cost of them.
I have reported them to the motoring ombudsman but up to now MB haven't responded to their mails .
Old 01-11-2018, 06:34 AM

C43 AMG
Hi Phil - Sorry, I should have set my profile properly. I am from Surrey in the UK
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Thanks Paul, can you let me know what size wheels you have and the exact tyres fitted (size and ratings) you have fitted front and rear. Was it the dealer who paid for the tyres ot were MB customer services involved. Are the Bridgestones all weather , what speed rating do they have, my tyres are michelins at the moment.

Many thanks
Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 AM

C43 AMG
Thanks Paul, can you let me know what size wheels you have and the exact tyres fitted (size and ratings) you have fitted front and rear. Was it the dealer who paid for the tyres ot were MB customer services involved. Are the Bridgestones all weather , what speed rating do they have, my tyres are michelins at the moment.

Many thanks
Phil - I have 18 inch wheels on the car as fitted from the factory. The front size is 225/45/18 and the rears are 245/40/18. The make is Bridgestone Potenza S001 (which I believe is a standard fitment on "M Series" BMW's ?) but not sure of the speed rating. They were fitted by Mercedes Benz Showcase dealership in Weybridge FOC after 4 months of complaining. Cheers - Paul
Old 01-13-2018, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Paul, the speed rating is on the tyres, it is the last letter, mine is Y, did you ask for the 18 inch wheels as 19 inch have always been standard in the UK, seems odd.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 AM

C43 AMG
Paul, the speed rating is on the tyres, it is the last letter, mine is Y, did you ask for the 18 inch wheels as 19 inch have always been standard in the UK, seems odd.
Phil - My rating is also Y - yes I did specify 18 inch rims ( shiny Black 5 spoke ) because the larger rims necessitate lower profile tyres which give ( in my view ) a more uncomfortable ride, increased road noise, far less mileage before replacement is needed and much more expense to replace - so no contest.
best - Paul
Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Thanks Paul, probably a wise decision on your part.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43
I've just had my second set of ContiSeal front tyres fitted, on 21's, and pleased to report the crabbing issue is still really very minor, to the point where it doesn't bother me.

MB fitted a set of these for me free of charge in the spring last year when I suffered the usual crabbing problem with the tyres supplied with the car, and must admit I've been quite happy with their performance. They are the star rated tyres, which I gather are really for BMW's, but they work fine for me, even in cold and damp conditions.

Hope you all manage to find solutions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock