GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC220D Exclusive
Originally Posted by dejongj
Thinking about that a bit further, and you've got to help me here as I'm not familiar with the Irish market.

You have a RHD vehicle correct?
The GLC220d Exclusive is the entry level as I understand, so does it have 4wd? Is it on 17" wheels/tyres? Does it have a 50/50 torque spit? (if it has 4wd).

There could be possibly some clues there, or perhaps I'm just clutching straw.

RHD GLC.
Exclusive is not the entry level. SE, Exclusive, AMG.
4wd on 18" Alloys

Old 01-18-2017, 01:15 PM

GLC220D Exclusive
Sure whatever, but what about being serious for one minutes and respond to the questions? This is a real issue for many owners.

How serious would you like me to be.........

Old 01-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by GLC220Exclusive

RHD GLC.
Exclusive is not the entry level. SE, Exclusive, AMG.
4wd on 18" Alloys
Interesting, different than the website. Do you know your torque split?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:21 PM

GLC220D Exclusive

No. Not technically minded. I Just drive and enjoy....
Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM

GLC220D Exclusive

Mercedes would appear to have named the equivalent model to mine as Sport in the UK.....
Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 PM

GLC220D Exclusive

I think Toobad has the same GLC as mine but I didn't order the offroad package....
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Update - Dealt on a 3.0l supercharged V6 F-Pace in black with black 22" (Yes 22"!!) Wheels for April delivery. Only got about half the discount that I got on the Merc, but happy with that given the general lack discounts available.

I am feeling a strange mixture of emotions at the moment to be honest......
Here...this will make you feel better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv8Z1eNntbI
The following users liked this post:
Matteus GLC AMG (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 02:01 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Here...this will make you feel better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv8Z1eNntbI
once that exhaust has been run in that should be lovely.

if they can't fix the AMG I'm getting tempted by the Alfa Romeo Stelvio - that V6 2.9 from Ferrari in an SUV looks sweet. Sounds great as well.
Matteus GLC AMG (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2017 GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by serge005
I have the same problem with my GLC43 with 21" wheels/summer tires. I only notice it when turning at slow speeds on wet roads - particularly, pulling in and out of my driveway. Since I just got the car, and it's winter in Seattle, the weather is pretty much always wet and below 45F (I would imagine very similar climate to the UK). I spoke to the dealership about the issue, and they said that "all AMG cars have this problem", and MB is "working on a fix". Not sure what kind of fix they're working on, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm surprised to hear that some of you are having the same problem with all-season tires... That doesn't make sense. Summer tires are known to not perform well in cold weather (they harden), so I was somewhat understanding of the issue. I test drove a new Porsche 911 4S (AWD) the other day, and experienced similar tire skipping (not as bad though) when making a sharp turn out of its parking space on semi-wet road with cold tires.

Since the summer tires that come on the 21" wheels are not ideal for Seattle winters, I'm ordering a set of winter wheels/tires for the GLC43 to use during the winter months. I'm going to get 235/55R19s all around, in case anyone is interested. I'll update this thread if problem persists.
Update: I installed a set of 235/55R19s all around with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires, and the crabbing issue is gone. So the problem is definitely related to summer (or low profile) tires in combination with cold weather (less than 45F). Am I happy about having to buy a second set of wheels? Not really, but I guess it's the price you pay for having beautiful things, in this case, 21" wheels. The winter wheels and tires cost me $1800 delivered to my door from TireRack, and they actually look great on the car.

Here's a picture of the car with the winter setup (apologies for the dirt):

Picture of the 21s washed and waxed before going into hibernation (no, I did not dip them in hot butter):

I definitely agree that MB should do something about the issue, but I wouldn't hold back from buying the car. It's an amazing car all around, and with a set of snow shoes on the car, I'm looking forward to taking it to the mountains for ski season. Also, my expensive 21" summer tires will last longer since I'll be rotating them with the winters, so that offsets the cost.
The following 4 users liked this post by serge005:
dejongj (01-19-2017), Matteus GLC AMG (01-19-2017), Snooky (01-19-2017), speedeye (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:03 AM

right to be forgotten
Cool - it makes sense in a climate where you will require winter tyres. South East of England is no such climate though.

Personally I really don't think they look nice on the car, I'm pleased to hear the issue is masked for you and that it is a workaround worthwhile for you.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Oh that sounds lovely! Really nice.

Just enjoy it, I wish I was informed like this prior to taken delivery of mine. I really wished more spoke up early on and not accept it as normal. But so be it, I'm pleased for you.
Thanks JP - I truly hope you and all the other unhappy owners get a satisfactory outcome on this!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Update - Dealt on a 3.0l supercharged V6 F-Pace in black with black 22" (Yes 22"!!) Wheels for April delivery. Only got about half the discount that I got on the Merc, but happy with that given the general lack discounts available.

I am feeling a strange mixture of emotions at the moment to be honest......

Congratulations Matteus, that's one awesome vehicle The stance and road presence is off the scale but to spec one to the same level as my GLC pushed the budget out of the park. Just be meticulous in your inspection when you collect the F-Pace in April. Many say JLR stands for Just Like Rover so carefully check all the shut lines for correct panel alignment. Both Mercedes and JLR use cats in the final QC process. The cats are left inside the vehicles overnight. In the morning, if the Mercedes cat has suffocated because of the air-tight door seals, the car passes the final QC stage. If the JLR cat is still inside the car in the morning, the car passes the final QC stage.

And now back to the more serious issue of crabbing.......
The following 2 users liked this post by Toobad:
dejongj (01-19-2017), Matteus GLC AMG (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Toobad
Congratulations Matteus, that's one awesome vehicle The stance and road presence is off the scale but to spec one to the same level as my GLC pushed the budget out of the park. Just be meticulous in your inspection when you collect the F-Pace in April. Many say JLR stands for Just Like Rover so carefully check all the shut lines for correct panel alignment. Both Mercedes and JLR use cats in the final QC process. The cats are left inside the vehicles overnight. In the morning, if the Mercedes cat has suffocated because of the air-tight door seals, the car passes the final QC stage. If the JLR cat is still inside the car in the morning, the car passes the final QC stage.

And now back to the more serious issue of crabbing.......
Hehehe I know what you watched on TV, well streaming from the internet

PS. Got my new toy yesterday, and watching those episodes in glorious 4K UHD with HDR enabled on an OLED screen is pretty awesome I started watching all episodes again.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
once that exhaust has been run in that should be lovely.

if they can't fix the AMG I'm getting tempted by the Alfa Romeo Stelvio - that V6 2.9 from Ferrari in an SUV looks sweet. Sounds great as well.
Yep- Stelvio looks very interesting and agree that that engine is a peach!! Of course historically, Alpha have had their own share of quality control issues....
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 AM

right to be forgotten
Yes very true, that scares me and likewise for the Maserati as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:49 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Hehehe I know what you watched on TV, well streaming from the internet

PS. Got my new toy yesterday, and watching those episodes in glorious 4K UHD with HDR enabled on an OLED screen is pretty awesome I started watching all episodes again.
Well it looks like we have something else in common JP - I took delivery of my LG 55" OLED TV 2 weeks ago, and agree the picture is breathtaking, particularly (as you say) the GT in UHD!!

Sorry everyone!!
dejongj (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 AM

right to be forgotten
Snap I went for the LG 55C6V as I do like 3D as well.

And my crabbing video looks amazing :P

Oh and the Mercedes AMG in Forza Horizon 6 on the Xbox One S in 4K UHD HDR doesn't crab either.

Last edited by dejongj; 01-19-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:22 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Snap I went for the LG 55C6V as I do like 3D as well.

And my crabbing video looks amazing :P

Oh and the Mercedes AMG in Forza Horizon 6 on the Xbox One S in 4K UHD HDR doesn't crab either.

Ha!! I went for the B6V - whilst not having 3D was a slight loss, I don't like the picture distortion on curved screens when viewing off-centre. Would always have to slide sideways to get it back in focus - a sort of 'crabbing' if you will.......
dejongj (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC43
Have been lurking around reading many of the insightful information available on this forum. Anyway, based in Australia and have the 43.

Some issues I have: crabbing, air conditioning doesn't get really cold, and, brakes screeching. Guess to stay in topic, I have already notified my dealer of the tyres crabbing but was told it was a normal behaviour.

Car has under 3,000kms. Crabbing was first noticed when I picked up the car at delivery (was raining). Happens all the time on full lock.

Now reading some of the Aussies here not having this issue would make me want to go back and get them to do something about the crabbing.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by madmoau
Have been lurking around reading many of the insightful information available on this forum. Anyway, based in Australia and have the 43.

Some issues I have: crabbing, air conditioning doesn't get really cold, and, brakes screeching. Guess to stay in topic, I have already notified my dealer of the tyres crabbing but was told it was a normal behaviour.

Car has under 3,000kms. Crabbing was first noticed when I picked up the car at delivery (was raining). Happens all the time on full lock.

Now reading some of the Aussies here not having this issue would make me want to go back and get them to do something about the crabbing.
im sorry to hear, but very interesting at the same time. I mean it's summer for you isn't it? Bet the temperature doesn't go below what 20 degrees Celsius?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC43
im sorry to hear, but very interesting at the same time. I mean it's summer for you isn't it? Bet the temperature doesn't go below what 20 degrees Celsius?
Yes, it is summer and temperature does occasionally go under 20 at night/early morning. Even when >30degree heat, the wheel still judders at full lock.

But notice it judders much more when the roads are wet.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Would guess they haven't told you to fit winter tyres!!!!.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG GLC 43, GLC Coupe 300 2020
Tyre Scrubbing

GLC 43 AMG 21 " rims

Not noticed the problem yet but car still virgin less than 500km done. Will be interesting to see if the issue starts to happen as the km start to mount.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
serious crabbing here:
Matteus GLC AMG (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220D Sport with Off Road Pack
Tyre Scrubbing

Hello. I am new to these forums but have been following for a number of months now. I have got this clonking, tyre scrubbing on my GLC 220D Sport with off road pack and 18in wheels with hankook tyres. It doesn't happen all the time but usually only when turning on full lock into my drive (also happens in reverse) - I have experienced it a couple of times in a tight car park.

Like most of you I am extremely disappointed with the response from Mercedes so far. I know it is the dealers we have the contract with but they won't usually do anything without the go ahead from Mercedes.

I am a little confused with the comments re torque splits. We get all sorts of information from the manufacturers, motoring press etc. I have already posted on other forums some information I extracted from the Mercedes UK site

"The GLC handles with all the precision and composure you expect from aMercedes-Benz. Even in challenging driving conditions, 4MATIC permanentall-wheel drive is on hand to optimise traction and ensure superb response. Thesystem has even been specially tuned for right-hand drive vehicles, with a39:61 torque distribution between front and rear axles to enhance drivingenjoyment and control".

This is quite clear that the system has been specially tuned for rhd and details the torque distribution which is a ratio that is new to me.

I will be speaking to my dealership shortly but I suspect I will get the same bullshine as most of you.

I will happily join in any class action as this is the only way anything will be done although I would hope that the threat of action will be enough for Mercedes to extract the digit and find a solution.

One little request: Can anybody tell me how to add my name to any class action. I keep trying to add a comment to the Honest John website but have drawn a blank so far despite having registered and signing in. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock