GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

5 features you love ....and 5 you don't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43
5 features you love ....and 5 you don't

This is about the smaller details you either love, or not so sure about. The main things such as looks, exhaust sound ��, tyre skipping/crabbing�� are a given.
Here's my thoughts:-

Things I love:-
- LED Intelligent lights.. the coolest lights ever, and so pleased I specced them.
- Red seat belts... love 'em to bits.
- Burmeister speaker covers, so cool and a work of art.
- Speech recognition, so much quicker, easier to use, and intuitive than Audi's.
- Ambient lighting... lovely, lovely feature.... apart from below.

..and ummmm:-
- When you open the pano roof, why does the screen then open and partially cover the roof.... why????
- The Command screen doesn't default back to the original screen you were using after making a telephone call, ie back to Nav, Radio etc. Small point but frustrating.
- Traffic sign recognition - so intrusive and now turned off. Don't like at all.
- Ambient lighting... why doesn't the lighting behind the electric seat controls in the doors, change to the same colour too??
- Burmeister bass. Not a deep as the B&O in the Audi.

I love my GLC and much of the above is minor... anyway that's my thoughts, what do you think???

Last edited by Andy B; 03-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Here you go Andy:

Things I love:
Exhaust sound
Gearbox
Seats and red seatbelts
Air suspension
The GLC

Not so good:
No heated windscreen
No heated steering wheel
Stop/Start
Parking sensors should beep before the final 2 red segments
MPG
Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
Hmmm that's a tough one. Here are some of my favorite things about the glc43:

1. When I pass a cop on the freeway going 40 over and see him pull out after me, the car still has enough power to accelerate out of sight and pull off an exit before he sees where I went.
2. With the back seats folded down, plenty of room for a threesome. Works just as long as both girls don't have Kardashian size hips.
3. Burmeister sound system has enough wattage to drown out girls whining voices as I drive them home after #2. I don't care if you're hungry, I'm tired.
4. If anyone ever questions whether or not I'm a douchebag, the giant LED illuminated 3 Pointed Star in the front clears that up quite quickly.
5. When you experience inconsiderate jaywalkers trying to cross ahead of you, the exhaust is perfectly loud enough when you goose it to cause them to soil their trousers as they dive to safety. Priceless.

What don't I like?
1. My local MB dealer fired the hot chick at reception, so going in for service isn't as exciting as it used to be. Maybe not car specific but still a dislike
2. It's a total pain in the *** getting stains out of that MB Tex stuff. Should have went with the leather.
3. Valet attendants expect big tips cause they think you're rich. Screw you, don't move my seat around and change my radio station and you would have gotten a better tip
4. I'm kinda hungry. Think I'll go order chinese
The following 2 users liked this post by thatkidfromjrsy:
ejvette (03-21-2017), koojo (03-18-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 & 2020 GLE350
Here's mine, 2017 GLC with P3
Pro:
Burmester sound
Heated seats
Heated steering wheel
Lighting system
Adaptive cruise

Cons:
Eco Start/Stop
No spare tire
Premium fuel required
Eco Start/Stop
Eco Start/Stop
Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
The good:
- fhe entire feel of the car, glued to the road, instant torque on demand
- exhaust crackle and pop without having to upgrade to the performance exhaust
- Burmeister is amazing
- the interior outclassed anything else in the category
- the pano roof

The bad:
- no Apple CarPlay
- the display looks like a glued on after thought, should be larger like the E class (sounds like the 2018 has a bigger screen)
- no touch screen, menus could be a little more intuitive
- seats don't clutch you at all
- no spare (I can live with this)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 & 2020 GLE350
The GOOD:
Burmester
Heated seats
Heated steering wheel
Handling
Lighting package
Adaptive cruise control

The BAD
Eco Stop/Start
Eco Stop/Start
Eco Stop/Start
Eco Stop/Start
Lack of spare tire
Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjrsy

1. When I pass a cop on the freeway going 40 over and see him pull out after me, the car still has enough power to accelerate out of sight and pull off an exit before he sees where I went.
2. With the back seats folded down, plenty of room for a threesome. Works just as long as both girls don't have Kardashian size hips.
3. Burmeister sound system has enough wattage to drown out girls whining voices as I drive them home after #2. I don't care if you're hungry, I'm tired.
4. If anyone ever questions whether or not I'm a douchebag, the giant LED illuminated 3 Pointed Star in the front clears that up quite quickly.
5. When you experience inconsiderate jaywalkers trying to cross ahead of you, the exhaust is perfectly loud enough when you goose it to cause them to soil their trousers as they dive to safety. Priceless.

What don't I like?
1. My local MB dealer fired the hot chick at reception, so going in for service isn't as exciting as it used to be. Maybe not car specific but still a dislike
2. It's a total pain in the *** getting stains out of that MB Tex stuff. Should have went with the leather.
3. Valet attendants expect big tips cause they think you're rich. Screw you, don't move my seat around and change my radio station and you would have gotten a better tip

I really hope, that what you say is true. DDDDOOOOOODDDEEE!!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS

What don't I like?

I think this is the best post I have ever read on this forum.
The following users liked this post:
thatkidfromjrsy (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43

What don't I like?

I'm thinking I need to change my favourites
Old 03-18-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Pro:
1. Intelligent LED headlights. These things are amazing and a really improve visibility on curvy roads.
2. Knob for control of COMAND system. Soooo much better than a touch screen.
3. Seat comfort.
4. Pano roof.
5.Driving dynamics and solid feel of the car.

Con:
1. Rear wiper control. No momentary position on switch to get a single wipe across the glass.
2. Default to eco mode.
3. Climate control buttons. You can't locate a specific button by feel. They are too close together and there are no features on the surface you can feel.
4. Run flat tires and no spare.
5. No Apple CarPlay !!!!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
My 2017 GLC 300rwd

Things I Love
Heads up display - it's great
Distronics plus - cruise control on steroids.
Mercedes Me & Mbrace - remote lock/start nice
AC much better than my 2014 E
Safety/Comfort experience

Don't like need improvement
Navigation maps can't read streets, to small print and fade into background colors. Take a lesson fron Google and even Infinity maps
Touchpad, I'm left handed. Turned it off, Dial works just fine
Rear backup senor - should view in the mirror or on dash Not a bar over the rear window
Dead battery- can't move the car everything locked up
Drive mode should remember last position
No storage under front seats - had on my 2014 E
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
Things i like:
- Burmester sound system
- Ride quality on 20 inchers
- Interior and exterior looks
- Soft seats
- headlights, probably the best I've experienced

Things i dislike:
-no idea how to switch radio stations or media quickly (this is freaking annoying)
- side sills, makes it harder to get in and out.
-
Old 03-26-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 250d
Likes.

1. LED active headlights - Absolutely the Best Ever encountered.
2. Adaptive cruise control.
3. Air suspension ride on 20" wheels.
4. Pano sunroof
5. Burmeister sound system

Dislikes.

1. No Key association with Memory Seats. Having to hold the dam memory button down and wait till the seat moves to set position
2. No Apple car play.
3. Crabbing on full lock
4. Auto start stop resetting to default on
5. Screeching brakes ( fixed to a certain extent)

Last edited by Rotelman; 03-27-2017 at 04:31 AM. Reason: change
jeffzzz (03-29-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GLC 300 4Matic
Likes & Dislikes in no particular order

2. auto stop/stop (yeah, I know most hate it);
3. 4 golf bag in cargo area;
4. Burmester surround sound;
5. thigh extension.

Dislikes:
1. lousy sound quality with Sirius news programs;
2. no notification that door is ajar - car just won't move out of Park;
3. no text read screen;
4. the black dashboard and door above the arm rests with silk interior;
5. blah exterior body side design - front and back are great.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by easternshore
2. auto stop/stop (yeah, I know most hate it);
3. 4 golf bag in cargo area;
4. Burmester surround sound;
5. thigh extension.

Dislikes:
1. lousy sound quality with Sirius news programs;
2. no notification that door is ajar - car just won't move out of Park;
3. no text read screen;
4. the black dashboard and door above the arm rests with silk interior;
5. blah exterior body side design - front and back are great.
Curious about your dislike #3. Are you referring to ability to display text (ie SMS) messages? If so, that is definitely possible to set up....
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GLC 300 4Matic
TRext Message on Info Screen

I am. On my Jeep it was just - boom - on the info screen. What do I need to do to display when I receive a text?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by easternshore
I am. On my Jeep it was just - boom - on the info screen. What do I need to do to display when I receive a text?
You have to go into the Settings, Bluetooth "MB Bluetooth" click on the Info icon & make sure "Show Notification" is set to "on", now disconnect to bluetooth & then reconnect the phone. Now you should hear bong when you receive a text message & also get an envelope at top of the Command Centre to indicate you have a received a message.
You can display the text by hitting the star button next to the round selector knob and rotating to Msg, or hit the phone button on dash then bring menu up and rotate to the envelope.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ddmccormack:
Bernadôtte (03-28-2017), easternshore (03-27-2017), VET11B (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300/SL550
What I like about my GLC
1.Brake hold feature
2.Sport+
3.covered backup camera its always clean
4.heated seats/steering wheel
5.interior fit & finish

Dislike

1.no vented seats
2.Eco stop start doesn't default to off
3.no backup sensors in bumper ...seriously??
4.premium fuel
5.The switch to activate the heated steering wheel is in a ridiculous spot.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
Originally Posted by ejvette
What I like about my GLC
1.Brake hold feature
2.Sport+
3.covered backup camera its always clean
4.heated seats/steering wheel
5.interior fit & finish

Dislike

1.no vented seats
2.Eco stop start doesn't default to off
3.no backup sensors in bumper ...seriously??
4.premium fuel
5.The switch to activate the heated steering wheel is in a ridiculous spot.
Love #3, the camera on my accord was always filthy after any weather. Having it hidden is a big plus that I notice every time I reverse when it's snowing/raining.

I don't understand the position of the heated steering wheel knob either. It's so awkward and there any number of places to put it that would have been better. Pretty much anywhere else would be better.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300/SL550
Originally Posted by shadownddust
Love #3, the camera on my accord was always filthy after any weather. Having it hidden is a big plus that I notice every time I reverse when it's snowing/raining.

I don't understand the position of the heated steering wheel knob either. It's so awkward and there any number of places to put it that would have been better. Pretty much anywhere else would be better.
My last 2 vehicles had the button right on the steering wheel I to get the manual out to actually find the switch geesh
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
What I like about my GLC:
1. The GLC is equipped with 6 built-in wine bottle holders. There are two in the front center console, one in each of the front doors, and one in each of the rear doors.
2. Now that the screeching brakes issue was fixed, the rattles and vibrations fixed, and the thunky rattles from the front struts were fixed, it's a pretty sporty and yet also luxurious feeling ride, mostly.
3. I've had my GLC since December 24, 2015 and still every time I see it, my heart jumps a bit. It looks pretty awesome.
4. The LED adaptive headlights....oh man, I am so happy that this upgrade was a stand-alone option for MY16. Absolutely love them!
5. The Burmester sound system is pretty nice.

What I don't like about my GLC:
1. Apparently, if you select reverse to back up and the backup camera is functioning AND your phone is paired via BlueTooth and you get an incoming call, you can hear the call coming in BUT the steering wheel button to accept the call doesn't work. Even if you put transmission back into park. The system is just kind of stuck in limbo.
2. The GLC is kind of jiggly when driving over less-than-perfect roads, sometimes.
3. The MBbrace streaming music app---forget it! Cancelled it after just a couple of months. Totally useless with just a 3G connection in USA.
4. No Apple CarPlay. This is made worse by the fact that the navigation system maps don't seem to be very up-to-date despite having the latest software. Very annoying to drive down to Charlotte, NC and clearly see the west-side loop of I-485 in front of me, but it's not present in the navigation map.
5. The SOS button is positioned very close to the button to open the sunglasses holder, and I've frequently pushed it on accident --once even accidentally pushing the actual call button after accidentally opening its cover.
And a bonus--
6. What's with all the stalks coming off the steering wheel column?! The Distronic/cruise control functions should be integrated into the steering wheel to get rid of that stalk, and then there is the column shifter....REALLY???!!!
rihallix (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
1. The GLC is equipped with 6 built-in wine bottle holders. There are two in the front center console, one in each of the front doors, and one in each of the rear doors.

amen to that. Perfect for wine country trips. Good for kids water bottles too

What I don't like about my GLC:

2. The GLC is kind of jiggly when driving over less-than-perfect roads, sometimes!!
when driving south on 19th avenue in San Francisco going in the right lane as you pass crossover drive in golden gate park the road is especially rough. Doing above 30mph you have "lift off" and feel yourself slide sideways

this is in a GLC43 with 21 inch wheels. Feels fun but you lose control for a fraction of a second.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
[QUOTE=GSOTXL;7098045]What I like about my GLC:

Not bad for a start!

4. The LED adaptive headlights....oh man, I am so happy that this upgrade was a stand-alone option for MY16. Absolutely love them!

👍

What I don't like about my GLC

5. The SOS button is positioned very close to the button to open the sunglasses holder, and I've frequently pushed it on accident --once even accidentally pushing the actual call button after accidentally opening its cover.

That was careless..... what happened next?

6. What's with all the stalks coming off the steering wheel column?! The Distronic/cruise control functions should be integrated into the steering wheel to get rid of that stalk, and then there is the column shifter....REALLY???!!

Impossible to see the cruise control stalk.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
[QUOTE=decorily;7098517]
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
What I like about my GLC:

6. What's with all the stalks coming off the steering wheel column?! The Distronic/cruise control functions should be integrated into the steering wheel to get rid of that stalk, and then there is the column shifter....REALLY???!!

Impossible to see the cruise control stalk.
For years -- and still to some extent today -- Mercedes has indulged its loyal customer base by retaining features and controls that function perfectly well in their original form. The cruise control is a perfect example. My 1982 240D, bought new, yes, 35 years ago, had the cruise stalk mounted on the steering column above the wiper stalk. And every Mercedes I've owned since then retained the same familiarity except that fairly recently someone convinced Mercedes to moved the cruise stalk below the wiper stalk. I still find myself occasionally reaching above the wiper control to operate cruise :-)

In fact, believe it or not, I find things in the GLC that harken back to my 1957 190SL.