GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC recommendation??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 Mercedes Benz GLC 4MATIC
GLC recommendation??

I recently submitted an order for a 2018 GLC 4MATIC, before I discovered MBworld! Now I have read several postings describing screeching brakes, crabbing, and problems with run flat tires. I am starting to get nervous about my decision to buy a GLC. The dealer says the screeching brake issue is fixed, no knowledge from their perspective on the other issues. Is everyone happy with their vehicle and would they buy one again? Any input on the 3 mentioned issues?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'12 Ducati 1198S, GLE C292
Originally Posted by DAVERLYN
I recently submitted an order for a 2018 GLC 4MATIC, before I discovered MBworld! Now I have read several postings describing screeching brakes, crabbing, and problems with run flat tires. I am starting to get nervous about my decision to buy a GLC. The dealer says the screeching brake issue is fixed, no knowledge from their perspective on the other issues. Is everyone happy with their vehicle and would they buy one again? Any input on the 3 mentioned issues?
Who in their right minds buys run-flats? It's like riding on wooden wheels.

Go for it!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by DAVERLYN
Hi and welcome, what part of the world are you in?
Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM

2018 Mercedes Benz GLC 4MATIC
Pennsylvania
Old 05-03-2017, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
My car is great, no issues except brakes which are to be fixed
Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 BMW 135i
1. I have no clue about the breaks
2. Crabbing is only on the RHD models
3. If you can change a tire, get rid of the run flats. The previous owner of my 135i had runflats. After seeing how much more expensive, bad on bumps, and low performance they are, I put on Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+ when the runflats wore out. I don't know if they make the pilot sport tires for the GLC, but if they do, make the jump. The performance around corners makes my car feel like it's going 15 mph slower than it is because of the grip. Even if they don't make them for the GLC, get a different non-runflat tire. You could sell the runflats and probably almost break even on new tires. While non-runflats are the better tire, I wouldn't let them deter you from the GLC. Most modern cars (i think??) have runflats, so the "problem" isn't exclusive to the GLC.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have had my GLC for over a year with the original Pirelli runflats. No issues
Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
i have run flats, seem to be fine. they were standard. didnt feel like adding parts to it like getting a spare tire etc.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
I'm driving a 16 GLC with 15,000 miles.

Had the squealing brakes, now fixed.

Extended mobility tires performing well. Showing little wear. Like the fact if suffering a puncture can continue driving until reaching a repair shop.

The crabbing issue is primarily affecting right hand drive cars.

Friends riding in my GLC almost always compliment me on the vehicle.

Would I buy another GLC? Of course.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
2017 GLC300 rwd; brakes are quiet, no crabbing and the run flats are acceptable. Of course they don't have the feel of my Michelin PSS tires on the BMW. But it feels like a MB; solid, but compliant, similar to our C300 4matic.

Ask to drive a loaner or used one and see for yourself.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 AM

2017 GLC 300
I've had mine for a week. It's absolutely wonderful and fun to drive. I'd recommend it to anyone.. The tires have been great so far (but ask me at 5000 miles) and I haven't had any issues with the car yet.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
I have about 3500 miles on mine now and have not had any brake screeching, no crabbing, and the run flats are quite comfortable riding. I do have some reservations about not having a spare, so I got a tire plug kit and an electric air pump (I may also get some slime type sealant). I want to be able to temporarily fix and inflate the run flat so I do not have to replace it because if I drive too far on it, it may need replacing, along with the other 3 tires because of tread wear differences. I am thinking that when the run flats need replacing that I will go to non run flats, but with no spare, I am not sure. The run flats do have some merits like being able to get off a busy freeway to tend to the tire and can be run for 50 miles or so.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I have had my GLC for over a year with the original Pirelli runflats. No issues
Same here also with Pirelli runflats. Owned 17 months with zero issues, at 13K miles now. Brake squeal no big deal as far as I'm concerned, fix pending when I get around to it.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
I've had a '16 for a year now and I love it. It's super quiet and I love the stable ride. (Of course I was coming from an '02 RAV4 so anything would have been notably updated.)

Haven't had the squeaking brakes. Have noticed a few electronic quirks -- rear view camera went funky once for a few hours, and my right rear window can't be controlled from the driver's door switches (haven't had time to get the dealer to fix it). Those quirks make me fear for stuff that might go wrong in the long term, but as long as it's under warranty, I love the car.

Sure wish mine had Apple Car Play. The whole electronics/info display is way too complicated and buggy. But it doesn't really matter because the only thing I care about is playing music, and I love the stereo (Burmester). With the quiet of the car, it's like sitting in a pair of really good headphones. Takes a lot of the stress out of commuting.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
I have a RHD model and haven't had the crabbing. Well, maybe just a little, reversing on full lock on a wet road. I gather that it mostly occurs on RHD in the relative cold and on wet roads, and for that reason most reports are from the UK, although also some from Melbourne.

No brake issues. Only fault that I've experienced was a diesel particulate filter sensor in the first week that was quickly fixed.

I was one of those who (a week ago) switched to non-runflats. Based on my experience so far (still preliminary) I'd strongly recommend it to anyone. The improvement in steering, handling and ride quality is remarkable. But others like them, so YMMV. I also expect no crabbing with non-runflats, as this seems to have been one solution from MB in the UK.

The spare tyre issue is not limited to MB. The Chevy Malibu rental I drove through Arizona last year came with no spare and some sort of tirefit kit. A friend bought a Mazda 3, and that only comes with a limited speed and distance spare, which in this country is crazy. The only real problem with the GLC is you have to buy the spare and carry it somehow.

Would I buy the same car again? Not the exact same car. We wanted a luxury touring car with some modest off-road capacity. I didn't want to drive a truck around all the time just to be able to go off-road. The mistake I made was getting the AMG pack (other part-owner wanted the AMG seats), not fully appreciating the implications of the 20" lower profile tyres and slightly lowered suspension. If I ordered again I'd skip the AMG Line pack (or whatever it's called in the US), and get the off-road pack and air suspension. Personally I'd be quite keen to get a GLC specified this way, but the other part-owner is now not convinced that it's the right car for off-limited road use. Perhaps the current one isn't, but one as described would be fine for what we do.

If you don't go off-road, then it's a thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing, well-optioned car to drive, esp minus the runflats. There are a few things I'd like to change re how the command and display systems operate, but nothing that's a deal breaker. I've had a few passengers who were impressed enough to consider switching from other German marques.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Had my (3 yr lease) GLC300 since last week of Feb. Only have 2000 miles but no run flat tire problems so far. I keep the pressure at 33lbs which is 1 lb over minimum recommended. When the go will look for the least expensive replacement since it should be close to end of lease.

Think the 2016 GLC's had the majority of squealing brakes. My build has had no problems.

Love the ride, handling and speed (when necessary).
Old 05-04-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by mtnhntr
I have about 3500 miles on mine now and have not had any brake screeching, no crabbing, and the run flats are quite comfortable riding. I do have some reservations about not having a spare, so I got a tire plug kit and an electric air pump (I may also get some slime type sealant). I want to be able to temporarily fix and inflate the run flat so I do not have to replace it because if I drive too far on it, it may need replacing, along with the other 3 tires because of tread wear differences. I am thinking that when the run flats need replacing that I will go to non run flats, but with no spare, I am not sure. The run flats do have some merits like being able to get off a busy freeway to tend to the tire and can be run for 50 miles or so.
This post mirrors my experience. Great vehicle. No problems. Issues like squealing brakes are overblown in my experience.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM

2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
You have to keep in mind that these forums are primarily for folks who are having a problem and represent a very small fraction of the overall ownership base. If you are happy, you are very unlikely to say so in one of these forums unless prodded!
My GLC with run flats has been flawless for 6000 miles. I don't see any degradation in ride quality with them. Never any brake noise. I expect you will be very happy with your purchase.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:36 PM

GLC 300 COUPE
Traded in our '12 Q5 for a '17 GLC coup. Couldn't be happier. No issues yet (1500mi).
Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by zsqure
Traded in our '12 Q5 for a '17 GLC coup. Couldn't be happier. No issues yet (1500mi).
hows rear visibility?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:24 PM

GLC 300 COUPE
Rearward visibility is tight. The backup camera does a very good job of showing what is behind you. The mirrors are smaller than what we were accustomed to. After having it for 8 weeks we are used to it now.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
I have the coupe and to be honest, I've been trying to figure out why the rearward visibility comes up as often as it does. I will be the first to admit that the rear window slants dramatically eliminating the ability to see much below ~4 feet off the ground, but with the camera, I can see more than if I had a full view. I like to keep an eye on cars behind me when I'm driving (both for police and for people who don't realize I'm braking) and never have a problem seeing them when on the highway or around town.

The blindspots are a bit harder to see than in other cars, as the c pillars are large and slanted, but with blind spot detection or a quick look, shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 AM

2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
hows rear visibility?
Typical for an SUV. I find it no different than the ML I replaced. The camera system makes it almost unnecessary to look back at low speeds. Learn to set your rearview mirrors so you have a panarama across the rear of the vehicle. You should be able to see the adjacent lanes so that when a car moves from directly behind you, you see it move to the inside edge of your side mirror and follow it all the way to where your "blindspot" used to be. You should not be able to see the side of your vehicle without leaning slightly left or right. Set up this way you never have to turn your head or look over your shoulder to try to look at traffic to change lanes, etc.