GLC Coupe wind whistle noise....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc GLC Coupe 250d AMG Line Prem Plus
GLC Coupe wind whistle noise....

Hi everyone...

I been looking around to see if anyone else has this problem but I cant seem to find anything..

Anyway I have a UK GLC Coupe 2017. Whenever I drive it and I go over 25mph I seem to get quite a loud wind whistle from the driver side door. It gets louder as I go faster lol. At first I thought it was the sunroof as I always have it open, but after closing it, I found the noise coming from the driver door. Its actually quite annoying even with radio on etc. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem anywhere ? My local dealership (Croydon, London) seems to be rather busy and always fails to care about small issues so wondering if anyone has heard or has this problem too?

Xav
Old 10-05-2017, 03:27 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
I'm guessing your driver's door isn't getting a proper seal. I'm guessing you've checked that the windows are closed. Unfortunately you can't drive at speed with someone pressing against the door to test my hypothesis out...
Old 10-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by guhvies
I'm guessing your driver's door isn't getting a proper seal. I'm guessing you've checked that the windows are closed. Unfortunately you can't drive at speed with someone pressing against the door to test my hypothesis out...
Yep! windows checked, door checked and looked over compared to other doors etc. Tried having a look but just cant seem to see or find anything. This noise is really annoying at times :@

I think I will try get it into another service centre. Any recommendations?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Maybe try a silicone lubricant on the rubber seals around the doors.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Maybe try a silicone lubricant on the rubber seals around the doors.
Thanks, i am going to look at a few ways to do some DIY otherwise I will take it down to MB...
Old 10-08-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Try to drive another car of the same kind at your dealership and see how it is. Before this make sure if your own car has acoustic glass installed or not and the test car also.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by yavor
Try to drive another car of the same kind at your dealership and see how it is. Before this make sure if your own car has acoustic glass installed or not and the test car also.
Funny enough I was thinking of that on the way home today! I did test drive one but being in London its hard to get up to any speed before traffic hits, but I am going to try again!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
This was an issue listed elsewhere here. For the GLC Wagon. Two solutions id by MB and dealers. One was acoustic front driver and passenger glass replacement. Second was the plastic moulding around exterior mirrors - found to be out of alignment - fix was a packing material I think and to ensure more precise fitment.
Hope this helps; if you cannot find these links, let me know and I will try. MB Dealers should have Service Bulletins for Wagon fix, given they are the same door I think.
Try searching acoustic glass.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Teckno
This was an issue listed elsewhere here. For the GLC Wagon. Two solutions id by MB and dealers. One was acoustic front driver and passenger glass replacement. Second was the plastic moulding around exterior mirrors - found to be out of alignment - fix was a packing material I think and to ensure more precise fitment.
Hope this helps; if you cannot find these links, let me know and I will try. MB Dealers should have Service Bulletins for Wagon fix, given they are the same door I think.
Try searching acoustic glass.
Much appreciated for this one! I am booking it in for the coming week and will definitely use those solutions as inputs and see what they have to say!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM

GLC cope
Exclamation wind whistle noise

My GLC cope is from June 2017, and has the wind whistle noise and can barely drive it for long distance without noticing the noise ,
it starts usually at around 80 km/h and raises as I go faster .
this was inspected By Local MB who said that he tried to fine tune the doors to close better ... ! but no change to the noise ,
i tried to change the music but still i can hear out the noise

so i decided to do an official claim to MB and they responded by suggesting for me to test another GLC to see the difference ,,, waiting since two weeks

i think it is a serious design problem that should be addressed by MB

Amjad
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 Coupe'
I have a 2017 coupe and there is no noise issue. It is a US version with out acoustic glass. No noise with all windows closed. Wonder what the other differences are. The sunroof noise is another matter...
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
1995 SL500 - 2017 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by amjad wahbeh
My GLC cope is from June 2017, and has the wind whistle noise and can barely drive it for long distance without noticing the noise ,
this was inspected By Local MB who said that he tried to fine tune the doors to close better ... ! but no change to the noise ,

so i decided to do an official claim to MB and they responded by suggesting for me to test another GLC to see the difference ,,, waiting since two weeks

Amjad
It has been addressed by Mercedes. There is a service bulletin regarding the wind noise. They run a test and if it fails, they replace both windows with "acoustic glass." Mine is being replaced next week under the service bulletin. Do a search for acoustic glass and you will find the bulletin number.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes glc sport coupe 220 diesil
Smile Rickaby

Originally Posted by Dr_xavz
Hi everyone...

I been looking around to see if anyone else has this problem but I cant seem to find anything..

Anyway I have a UK GLC Coupe 2017. Whenever I drive it and I go over 25mph I seem to get quite a loud wind whistle from the driver side door. It gets louder as I go faster lol. At first I thought it was the sunroof as I always have it open, but after closing it, I found the noise coming from the driver door. Its actually quite annoying even with radio on etc. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem anywhere ? My local dealership (Croydon, London) seems to be rather busy and always fails to care about small issues so wondering if anyone has heard or has this problem too?

Xav
I have a GLC Coupe 2017 and I don't get any Whistling noise at all , Think You Need To Have `It Checked ., Do you have a sun roof ?

Last edited by Rickaby; 10-16-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:08 PM

2018 GLC 300 W / 2011 E350W, Luxury, P01, leather steering wheel
Originally Posted by amjad wahbeh

Amjad
I just got delivered 2018 GLC300W. While I was driving the car to home from dealer very first day, I noticed that there's loud wind whistling noise coming from window area...First I thought the windows were not closed completely but they were. Second I thought it might be door but there's no door warning light was on the instrument panel...Third I guessed that might be panoramic sunroof seal but can't confirmed... I just called dealer and talked with sales person but he acted like know nothing.. He will let service rep call me to make an appointment... What did you get fixed from dealer?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Wind noise is a very common and much discussed issue with GLC!
The following users liked this post:
will4iron (04-04-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have a 2018 GLC43 (not coupe) and do not have any wind noise issues - the vehicle is very quiet at all speeds.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by decorily
Wind noise is a very common and much discussed issue with GLC!
Yah, I learned it here yesterday and that's why I am trying to fix this issue.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 AM

I think I figured out why there's wind noise with my GLC300W.
the service manager did test drive with me and then he confirmed there's excess wind noise coming from windows. When we returned to the dealer lot, the SM checked carefully window trim between windrow glass and door frame seal...That means the door frame seals are designed to be fit to acoustic glass which is thicker than normal glass but they put normal glass there so there's some gap between window glass and door frame seals.....that's why there's wind noise when the vehicles are going over 40 mph...interior pressure build up then it sucks in outside air. If you go slow then there's no pressure build up inside of cabin because there are plenty of air movement on slow speed. Well this is my theory tho.