GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
My tire pressure is now at 32psi when cold. Still jolts. Will most likely change to non-RFTs when the stock tires are worn
Old 03-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MB GLC 300, 2017 BMW i3, 1990 Porsche 944S2C
Well, here is my list, a real shame as I really like how the car rides and it is just the right size, I'm a long time MB owner so I have no words

The first one I had - a 2016 GLC 300 - I was switched to a 2017 so I have the added benefit of seeing if the 2017s improved.
- all of the driving aides would just turn off (blind side, frontal impact, traction control, auto headlights, etc) and the car would go into limp mode, could not even accelerate under 15 MPH. This would usually happen on rainy days and at any speed, including highway. Turn car off and back on it fixed itself with a reboot -> that was due to a loose connector to the main computer that plagued early E-Class cars, took MB months (it was corp) to figure it out.
- All of the lights just turned off one night, back up camera failed and even the directional blinkers -> that was due to a faulty fuse box, not the fuse, the whole box
- strong smell of gasoline at times, raw gasoline, they never pinpointed it but after the fuse box was replaced it never returned.
- Front struts were faulty so replaced
- something else faulty up front in the suspension/steering and that as replaced
- LED eyebrows over headlights would randomly illuminate even when car was locked and off, just one eyebrow and it varied which side, no rhyme or reason. Was not the directional signal which you can do with a manual setting - they never figured that out but it has been reported a few times by other owners and on this forum.
- rattling center console screen, just lived with it and in later models the plastic is much more robust
- that feeling the front suspensions is about to rip itself off of the car after going over some bumps on the highway, extreme cowl shake was a bonus - RFT issue

After all of the electrical issues we were having they replaced the 2016 with a 2017 - I wish that was it, here we go with the 2017
- oil leak after 2,000 miles
- transmission leak after 8,000 miles
- rear differential/axle lube replaced, there is a technical bulletin on this to stop the loud whining sound after car is fully warmed up and occurs during sharp turns at low speed
- that feeling the front suspension is about to rip itself off of the car after going over some bumps on the highway, cowl shake is still a bonus but less extreme - RFT issue
- improvement on 2017s was the dash plastic, especially around the command screen were improved. Also the shaking of the front end over bumps is still there but lessened - same exact tires. The transmission was programmed differently, it now goes into N if you let it for coasting in ECO mode. Also in ECO mode if it is cold out and the transmission is not warmed up it won't shift above 7 unless you force it with paddles - COMFORT is not effected by this, odd programming

FYI - if you ever experience anything like I have it is a good idea to take pictures, I did during the 2016 cars driving aid failures. Not to fight MB but to help them pinpoint it. See, the computer logged none of it, it simply recorded that a whole failure occurred, that was it, no details but that something very bad happened, ya think. So pics of the warnings I was getting on the screen helped them track it down. I took a video and it was like a Xmas tree as the car was counting down to self destruction with one failure warning after another. They said I was the first to experience this, I'm a lucky guy.

Otherwise it is a wonderful vehicle.....slight cough

Last edited by cwneff; 03-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 ML350 and 2018 GLC
Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with my GLC. No rattles, no brake issues, no tire issues and I love the Command system! I tried both Volvo and Lexus systems and they are both inferior to Mercedes.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
Originally Posted by Rmlasalle
Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with my GLC. No rattles, no brake issues, no tire issues and I love the Command system! I tried both Volvo and Lexus systems and they are both inferior to Mercedes.

I have the same experience.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by decorily
+ 1 on the occasional WTF suspension moment!
For those with complaints re: suspension harshness, what wheels do you have -- 18, 19, or 20"?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
For me, I'm not sure which package it's included in, the speed limit display on the Nav Screen only shows when on the freeway (65 mph). It's supposed to show on all roads. I think it's because I have Map Version 10, and I need Version 11. I'll have it checked when I go in for the rear seat belt recall. Also, I get an occasional rough downshift from 3 to 2, when slowing to a stop.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
We've owned our 2018 GLC now for almost 2 weeks, and there's a new rattle coming from the dashboard somewhere closer to the passenger side. Damnit MB.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by ayilar
For those with complaints re: suspension harshness, what wheels do you have -- 18, 19, or 20"?
I have 19 inch with regular suspension. No issue with harshness.
The following users liked this post:
ayilar (04-10-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by waylo
We've owned our 2018 GLC now for almost 2 weeks, and there's a new rattle coming from the dashboard somewhere closer to the passenger side. Damnit MB.
Sorry to hear that -- I had one from the back drivers side. My dealer is amazing with trouble-shooting these rattle issues... they go above and beyond. They discovered the rattle was actually something with the rear seat mechanism. They've replaced the mechanism and now it's silent again! Point being, bring it in ASAP -- as I feel you get a better response since they realize the car should be in near perfect condition -- so they are anxious to resolve any issues.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Thanks for the reassurance @CasemLuke. I drove it again the other day listening specifically for it (the car's mainly my wife's) and it wasn't quite so notable, so we'll be listening for it in the future. On our 2016 GLC there was a sound issue with a forward passenger strut and they fixed it immediately when we brought it to their attention, so I won't be doubting the dealer's ability to troubleshoot.

The 2018 GLC loaner we had while ours was having the seat belt recall though was a creaky/squeaky ******* (brakes and internally) and we were happy to turn that one back in.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM

GLC300 Coupe
I have this same issue with my 2018. I've heard a number of people discuss it's not the speaker per se, but the 1) speaker holder 2) seat adjustment switch 3) the frequency of the station.
Haven't brought it in yet, but would love to hear what you find out if you do before me.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by NRW2018
What have been common problems in the GLC300 series? So far I've only come across tire scrubbing but that was limited to RHD cars. Then there is a class action lawsuit about HVAC mold but it appears to skip the GLC line.
I'm coming from a VW background where I've dealt with frequently failing water pumps, rear main seals, and timing chain tensioners so now I would like to spend less time under the car and more on the road without resorting to something boring like a Honda
2016 model:

1. Brake squeal. Only happens when cold, and car has been sitting a few hours. On second fix now; so far so good, but this took a while to reappear after first fix.
2. Chatter in left side of dash for 5 minutes or so after starting. Again, mostly when cold outside.
3. My satellite radio would not work when I started it up, at random. Locking the car, walking away, and coming back would fix it. Hasn't happened since the latest service when they did a software update.
4. One of the front parking lights would come on while the car was parked, at night. Happened 4 times in first 2 years. Again, hasn't happened since latest service.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
[QUOTE=schroedinger;7429738]2016 model:

1. Brake squeal. Only happens when cold, and car has been sitting a few hours. On second fix now; so far so good, but this took a while to reappear after first fix.
2. Chatter in left side of dash for 5 minutes or so after starting. Again, mostly when cold outside.

1. same here. its been about three thousand miles and weather is getting warm. will be interesting o see if it comes back when cold 6 months from now
2. i have a very minor noise from that area. dealer said it is normal (it is very VERY faint). i read somewhere here someone had an issue with i believe the motor that adjusts the vents, that is what was making the noise. the noise isn't terribly bothersome to me since it is so faint and barely noitceable, im just worried that once out of warranty it will fail.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:01 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by Rmlasalle
I share the same as you. Eight months of nothing but enjoyment. Only trip to dealer was for seatbelt recall, 1 hour later on the road again.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Hmmmm....where do I begin.

1. Squeaking gas pedal - replaced
2. Clunking noise over bumps - Front strut and rear suspension pieces replaced - Still hear rattles
3. Various creaks, rattles, and vibrations inside the cabin over uneven pavement - Felt taped everywhere and more keep appearing.
4. Driver's seat makes creaking noise - Repaired but came back.
5. Freezing issue once with the Comand system while on SAT radio - Software update and hasn't come back.
6. Excessive wind noise on highway - Replaced side glass with acoustic glass. Fixed.
7. Electric relay type sound coming from near the left front vent housing - Defective actuator causing the noise. Had to REMOVE MY DASHBOARD to replace it. Fixed.
8. Dash panel on passenger side is loose - Will be addressed on next appointment.
9. One of the springs for the hinges on the rubber LATCH flap is broken - Will be addressed on next appointment.

All this in a car that's less than a year old and less than 10K miles on it. To say that I'm disappointed with this car is an understatement. I had great luck with the BMW's I owned prior to going to MB. I've had a conversation with the service manager who agrees that this is very excessive for a brand new car. I think this may be my first and last MB unless there can be some type of resolution.

Last edited by Roowah; 04-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Roowah
Hmmmm....where do I begin.

1. Squeaking gas pedal - replaced
2. Clunking noise over bumps - Front strut and rear suspension pieces replaced - Still hear rattles
3. Various creaks, rattles, and vibrations inside the cabin over uneven pavement - Felt taped everywhere and more keep appearing.
4. Driver's seat makes creaking noise - Repaired but came back.
5. Freezing issue once with the Comand system while on SAT radio - Software update and hasn't come back.
6. Excessive wind noise on highway - Replaced side glass with acoustic glass. Fixed.
7. Electric relay type sound coming from near the left front vent housing - Defective actuator causing the noise. Had to REMOVE MY DASHBOARD to replace it. Fixed.
8. Dash panel on passenger side is loose - Will be addressed on next appointment.
9. One of the springs for the hinges on the rubber LATCH flap is broken - Will be addressed on next appointment.

All this in a car that's less than a year old and less than 10K miles on it. To say that I'm disappointed with this car is an understatement. I had great luck with the BMW's I owned prior to going to MB. I've had a conversation with the service manager who agrees that this is very excessive for a brand new car. I think this may be my first and last MB unless there can be some type of resolution.
That is a lot, i too would be unhappy for sure. Hopefully they can do something for you.
Was yours built in Germany or Finland?
How difficult was it to get the dealer to replace with the acoustic glass? i am bringing this up at my next visit. The wind noise is not horrible, but it is there and I'm hoping i can get the new glass and make it just a bit better

Also i have #7 to a very minor degree - brought it up and they said it was normal (noise is very faint). Now i'm wondering whether to bring it up again - not sure if the whole dash being removed is better than a small noise. Was yours a very loud noise and did it occur only at car startup? And it is hard to determine whether the noise is actually just the sound of the servo working.

Last edited by ajmtbm; 04-15-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic - Brilliant Blue/Black MB Tex, Premium Pkg, Multimedia Pkg,Parking & Driver Asst
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
That is a lot, i too would be unhappy for sure. Hopefully they can do something for you.
Was yours built in Germany or Finland?
How difficult was it to get the dealer to replace with the acoustic glass? i am bringing this up at my next visit. The wind noise is not horrible, but it is there and I'm hoping i can get the new glass and make it just a bit better

Also i have #7 to a very minor degree - brought it up and they said it was normal (noise is very faint). Now i'm wondering whether to bring it up again - not sure if the whole dash being removed is better than a small noise. Was yours a very loud noise and did it occur only at car startup? And it is hard to determine whether the noise is actually just the sound of the servo working.
I believe it was built in Germany, but I'll need to double check that on the sticker. Is there another way to confirm this (i.e. via the VIN)? It wasn't difficult at all at my dealer to replace the side glass with acoustic. In fact, after I made the complaint, they voluntarily suggested it. I did point out to them that I thought it strange that my windshield is acoustic glass (it says so), and the side glass was not. So maybe that had something to do with their decision. It definitely made a noticeable difference in the wind noise and general quietness of the cabin. As for #7, the noise was faint as well but definitely audible when the radio wasn't on, and typically during start up. Although I remember hearing it while driving as well. If it's the same issue, they said the only way to get to it was by removing the dash. Of course, I found this out after it was repaired, although I probably would've had them do it anyway since I wanted it repaired.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:24 AM

Received 179 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by waylo
My GLC43 had it too. I was just going to wait to bring it in for service and get it fixed at same time. But it disappeared at about 1000mi, and now with 4500mi hasn't come back.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Roowah
I believe it was built in Germany, but I'll need to double check that on the sticker. Is there another way to confirm this (i.e. via the VIN)? It wasn't difficult at all at my dealer to replace the side glass with acoustic. In fact, after I made the complaint, they voluntarily suggested it. I did point out to them that I thought it strange that my windshield is acoustic glass (it says so), and the side glass was not. So maybe that had something to do with their decision. It definitely made a noticeable difference in the wind noise and general quietness of the cabin. As for #7, the noise was faint as well but definitely audible when the radio wasn't on, and typically during start up. Although I remember hearing it while driving as well. If it's the same issue, they said the only way to get to it was by removing the dash. Of course, I found this out after it was repaired, although I probably would've had them do it anyway since I wanted it repaired.
to find out where it was built, check the B pillar driver side at the bottom, same label where its shows the tire pressures,
i believe you can also tell by one of the VIN digits, i dont recall which one
Old 04-17-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
If the tenth character in your VIN is the letter V, your GLC was assembled by Valmet in Finland. Mine ends in something like JV123456, for example. Maybe the V is for Valmet.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by mikbar2
Poor wearing tires. Usually worn out in 20,000 miles or less. Personal experience and repeated by others on the forum.
Mine worn out at 17500 miles
Old 04-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
If the tenth character in your VIN is the letter V, your GLC was assembled by Valmet in Finland. Mine ends in something like JV123456, for example. Maybe the V is for Valmet.
To avoid confusion, I believe the 10th character is the Model Year. H = 2017, they skip I to avoid confusion. J = 2018. The 11th character is the “Build Plant”. F-H means the Bremen plant in Germany. V means the Valmet plant in Finland.

Many here have said, and I agree, there is no difference in the “build quality” between the two plants. The Valmet plant has a long history of high end automobile assembly and parts fabrication.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Vaboy

To avoid confusion, I believe the 10th character is the Model Year. H = 2017, they skip I to avoid confusion. J = 2018. The 11th character is the “Build Plant”. F-H means the Bremen plant in Germany. V means the Valmet plant in Finland.

Many here have said, and I agree, there is no difference in the “build quality” between the two plants. The Valmet plant has a long history of high end automobile assembly and parts fabrication.
I've owned vehicles built in Sindelfingen (E320, E350), Breman (CLK320, GLC300), and Tuscaloosa (ML 350, ML550), and the Tuscaloosa vehicles have been the best quality.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Jetfuture
The most common issues on this car having owned ours for 18 months and reading all of the comments:

1. Brake squeal when reversing (applying brakes at very low speed). We will be taking it in for the 20,000 mile B Service likely in January. We will be requesting the brake squeal issue be fixed yet again. As others have stated, it started at 5,000 miles or so and the revised fix from Mercedes seems to keep them squeal-free until the next cold season.

2. Wiperblades do not run smoothly over glass from light mist to light rain at lower vehicle speeds (high speed/heavy rain they work quite well). The dealer has done everything they can think of and they still don't run as smooth as either of my older Hondas.

3. Tire wear (replaced tires on my Honda Pilot at the same time we took delivery of our GLC300...the tires on the Pilot, not RFTs, look to be headed for 40,000 to 50,000 - plenty of tread...the GLC tires are coming up on the wear indicators, nearly no tread remaining)

Consumer Reports agrees with number 1 above and mentioned it in their recent ratings on the GLC300.
same issues here. Also, not sure if it only applies to GLCs, you can literally get locked out if you're not careful. My wife opened the door from the passenger side and place her bag that had the key in it then place the bag in the passenger side. somehow the lock button was pressed then got locked out. luckily, she used her app to unlock.

shock mount failed. Took dealer almost one week to diagnose and replace. no issues since then.

Last edited by sgmstr; 05-09-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ayilar
18 wheel . MY2016. Very very harsh.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What have been common problems in the GLC300 series?