GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Backup Camera Issues with GLC Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyota Venza / Lexus IS300
Angry Backup Camera Issues with GLC Coupe

So today on my way home from work, I started hear some noise coming from the back of my car. At first I didn't know what it was but after awhile came to a conclusion that it must be the back up camera. this was kind of odd because it would make the opening/closing noise when I came to a stop and when I would start to drive again. When I arrived home, I got my wife to check the rear of the car to see if the camera was out and it was. I did a few test while on the driveway.
1. Car is in Park
2. Put car in Drive, camera pops out and nothing changes on screen though
3. Put Car in Reverse and screen changes to 360 degree view

I did this a few times and still the same thing. If issues continues tomorrow, I'll just have to visit the dealer again.
The following users liked this post:
DeVelascoG (01-29-2023)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C43
This is actually an issue that I had in the past 3 months now and according to the dealer, the camera is in calibration mode. They claim that it is not a malfunction but instead an intended behavior. It happened to me 3 times now, and I asked them if it's possible to completely turn off this feature in the engineering menu, but they told me it isn't. They ended up performing some software update on the camera system but I'm not sure if it helped or not. It's been 2 weeks since this update and so far no random camera opening.

If you drive your car for an extended period of time (about an hour straight), the calibration mode seems to "give up" and fixes itself. That's the only remedy I could do because the instructions they gave me is a bit hard to do in my town (18mph in a straight line, in daylight for one minute).

See below for the official note from Mercedes.
The following 3 users liked this post by aaronpatrick01:
Bruno72 (06-24-2019), DeVelascoG (01-29-2023), LHT0128 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes glc 250d
I had the same problem. Your rear view cam needs to be recalibrated.
Find a straight road with no traffic, stop the car. Start moving the car in D without touching the throttle, just let the car go at minimum speed, go straight leaving the wheel in the center position for about 20/30 seconds. You should hear the camera closing at the end of the operation.
Done! The camera now is calibrated.
It worked with me
The following 3 users liked this post by Petercali:
DeVelascoG (01-29-2023), rxmb7 (10-23-2020), VancityGLC (02-11-2019)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyota Venza / Lexus IS300
Originally Posted by aaronpatrick01
This is actually an issue that I had in the past 3 months now and according to the dealer, the camera is in calibration mode. They claim that it is not a malfunction but instead an intended behavior. It happened to me 3 times now, and I asked them if it's possible to completely turn off this feature in the engineering menu, but they told me it isn't. They ended up performing some software update on the camera system but I'm not sure if it helped or not. It's been 2 weeks since this update and so far no random camera opening.

If you drive your car for an extended period of time (about an hour straight), the calibration mode seems to "give up" and fixes itself. That's the only remedy I could do because the instructions they gave me is a bit hard to do in my town (18mph in a straight line, in daylight for one minute).

See below for the official note from Mercedes.

Awesome thanks!!! seemed to have worked. Only difference is that I needed to be below 20 km/h
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
I've had similar issues twice now, and both fixed themselves. The first time was right after a deep freeze and I kept trying to get out of the car to check what was going on in the back, but everytime I put it in park I could hear it close; so frustrating. I ended up having my wife drive behind me and let me know that the camera was open. I brought my car in for squealing breaks, and in talking with my SA, he suggested the camera issue might have been caused by an ice buildup. Seemed reasonable as I had recently parked near a puddle that I realized later meant every car that passed splashed the back of my car.

However, the second time it happened, it was a fairly mild stretch of weather, so I knew it wasn't ice. I sent an email to my SA, and he sent over a copy of the same Xentry note and told me to bring it in so they could do the calibration for me. I must have hit a good straight stretch on the way home, since it cleared up the same day. It's good to find out that it's expected behavior, I just wish that it was noted somewhere so I knew what was going on beforehand, instead of assuming something expensive just broke.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Ive had the car for about 18 months, and for the first time this problem appeared.. I kept hearing noises in the back every time i slowed down to a crawl - it was the reversing camera popping in and out. I followed the instructions as set out in the above posts, and voila! its fixed. I drove for about 15-20secs under 30kmh, that was enough for it to do its thing.. We'd be lost without forums like this one!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140, W124, W169
Originally Posted by Petercali
I had the same problem. Your rear view cam needs to be recalibrated.
Find a straight road with no traffic, stop the car. Start moving the car in D without touching the throttle, just let the car go at minimum speed, go straight leaving the wheel in the center position for about 20/30 seconds. You should hear the camera closing at the end of the operation.
Done! The camera now is calibrated.
It worked with me
I just had mine today and will try your method tomorrow morning.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 43
reverse camera flap opens when driving forward

I had same issue with my GLC where driving forward from start rear camera flap would open and similarly when slowing down. I found that if I stopped I pressed brake pedal firmly so it went into hold. I left gear in drive position. After a minute or so I heard the camera flap close. Now working fine, as in only opens when selecting reverse.