GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2018 GLC 300 Navigation install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
2018 GLC 300 Navigation install?

I just purchased an 18 GLC 300 and it doesn’t have navigation installed. The dealer said they would install an ss card with the navigation for $625. I know these cards are available on eBay and various sites, how do I know which one I need? Any special codes or models?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Someone else on the other threads on this forum said this seller/product here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282761648425
was a good buy @$180. There are others on ebay for $150, though the versions differ. Amazon has some listings too, but this is probably the cheapest you'll find from a seller someone here vouches for.

It's been sitting in my ebay cart for a while, as I've been thinking about adding it for my wife's car, but she has CarPlay which works okay for now.

Good luck! Let us know if you go through with this.

Last edited by waylo; 05-24-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300

Have a GLC 300. We recently bought the Garmin SD navigation card linked here on EBay. It works great. We also have CarPlay and it is quite simple to flip back and forth between them. Just plugging in the phone initiates CarPlay and overrides the SD card Navi. Unplug it and the SD card works. Not used to plugging in phone all the time, so nice to have the SD option.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
Once the data cord is plugged in, what are the next steps to access it’s nav. quickly?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM

GLC 300
For us, when we plug in the iPhone and CarPlay engages, you can access the iPhone navi by either using the controller and selecting it on the CarPlay screen or you can push the Navi button on the car and it shows the Apple navigation app using CarPlay. When CarPlay is not activated, it will use the SD card Navi.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:49 AM

GLC 300
Sorry I may not have explained that well. If CarPlay is initiated, hittting the Navi button will bring up Apple navigation (it overrides the SD card navigation when CarPlay is active).
The following users liked this post:
carnutt (05-28-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:08 PM

2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Hi - new to MBWorld and have a GLC on order with Smartphone Integration rather than Multimedia. I thought I'd ask a question in this thread rather than post a new one for now. I get that having the Garmin SD card (either MB or aftermarket) is a good insurance policy for navigation in areas with spotty cell reception. I also ordered the Heads Up Display, so I assume the Garmin SD directions will show there as they do with Comand, and I read that Send2Benz also works. Since I assume the chief drawbacks of SD card nav are lack of realtime traffic info and inability to use non-nav CarPlay apps in parallel, what other benefits are there, if any, to using the SD card that might warrant the purchase? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300, 2019 GLC 300, 2014 e400 Hybrid
My dealer was not able to get HUD ordered last week due to supplier issue. Sounded like you were successful? Did you verify?

Originally Posted by Fenders
Hi - new to MBWorld and have a GLC on order with Smartphone Integration rather than Multimedia. I thought I'd ask a question in this thread rather than post a new one for now. I get that having the Garmin SD card (either MB or aftermarket) is a good insurance policy for navigation in areas with spotty cell reception. I also ordered the Heads Up Display, so I assume the Garmin SD directions will show there as they do with Comand, and I read that Send2Benz also works. Since I assume the chief drawbacks of SD card nav are lack of realtime traffic info and inability to use non-nav CarPlay apps in parallel, what other benefits are there, if any, to using the SD card that might warrant the purchase? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 PM

2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by lay3r3
My dealer was not able to get HUD ordered last week due to supplier issue. Sounded like you were successful? Did you verify?

He added my name this past Sunday to an existing build that wasn’t yet locked down, and HUD was an available option on the system - and he quoted me early October delivery. I will follow up later this week to understand if the HUD supply issue (which I had already read about) makes that date suspect. I won’t buy a car without it after enjoying it in my MINI Clubman.

What specifically did your dealer tell you? That it wasn’t available to add to a build, or that the delivery date would be unknown?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300, 2019 GLC 300, 2014 e400 Hybrid
Using the Netstar system to build was no problem. Then he looked into current pipeline that was being built, there was one being built in 3 weeks (now 2 weeks) that he was able to still make changes (colored in yellow). So he went to make those changes based on require,Mets. Called back the next day that HUD was not available due to supplier issues

He added my name this past Sunday to an existing build that wasn’t yet locked down, and HUD was an available option on the system - and he quoted me early October delivery. I will follow up later this week to understand if the HUD supply issue (which I had already read about) makes that date suspect. I won’t buy a car without it after enjoying it in my MINI Clubman.

What specifically did your dealer tell you? That it wasn’t available to add to a build, or that the delivery date would be unknown?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
A few misconceptions to clear up:
1. I do not think the Garmin SD GPS card will link with the HUD. I believe others have mentioned that before on this thread. I don't have the HUD so can't confirm that.
2. SD card DOES have realtime traffic, which is nice. Utilizes the same Sirius traffic receiver info as the COMAND GPS does, so that's 5 years of service for free. I have used the traffic routing, and it's quite beneficial.

As to its benefits, I specifically did not want the COMAND GPS because frankly, it is a piece of crap. The UI is awful. If you are used to using the GPS on Google Maps or Apple Maps, or any other standalone unit (popular 10 years ago), you are in for severe disappointment.

The major downside in my opinion is that without the multimedia package, the screen is smaller. Usable, but notably smaller. It's fine for GPS, but it does make the parking camera images harder to see.

EDIT: Saw that you are getting a 2019, so not certain about the screen sizing. At least for 2018 models they were installing 2 different sizes based on trim levels.

Last edited by waylo; 07-03-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Fenders (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:13 AM

GLC 300
@Fenders. You had asked about any other advantages of the SD card. As noted above, it does have real time traffic, so it does function similar to Apple maps in routing you. We like the convenience to be able to use it out of laziness sometimes. I like getting in the car and just going without having to think about opening the middle console, plugging in a phone (which I then often forget when I leave the car), setting it up for my phone if my wife was the last to use it, and dealing with it generally. The SD navi is just there, fires up when we start the car, let's us see streets to cut / navigate through, can zoom in and out easily by turning the dial, and get directions if we want. Just more convenient at times.
Fenders (07-04-2018)