GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Update on Spare tire kit for 2020 GLC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 01:46 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Update on Spare tire kit for 2020 GLC

I switched to General non-runflat tires in the first week of owning the 2020 GLC, so I wanted a spare kit to go along with the plug kit and and tire pump. Here's what I bought based on recommendations from other owners with 2019 and older GLCs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2005-M...72.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-5-Merc...72.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Don...72.m2749.l2649

So it all works out, but there's a catch. While the tire fits under the trunk floor, and all the tools fit and work great, the spare can only be used on the back because the brake pads have appendages that stick out of the caliper and rub on the inside of the spare tire.

Not a huge problem, but it makes a flat in the front require 2 tire changes: One to put the spare on the rear, and another to put the good rear tire in the place of the flat front tire. It would add 10 mins to the process, but it's still better than no spare. And if the flat is in the rear, then it's just one change.

I am very ok with this as the solution. The vehicle drives great with the spare on the rear. I tested it up to 65 mph just to check.

The jack fits the lift adapter perfectly.

No issue with the running boards.

Spare is designed to go around the brake calipers.

But these pad appendages are sticking out and hitting the inside of the spare.

Spare works great on the back.

Jack fits well in the space made for it.

Spare fits great with a little warping of the soft trunk floor. It snaps right back when removing the wheel. It's a snug fit so the wheel doesn't flop around.

What the floor looks like after removing the spare.

Last edited by 2020GLC300; 09-22-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2019 GLC300 4matic
Nice write up. I'm in the same boat with the possibility of 2 tire changes but IMO it's worth it.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Well a coupe of points.

1. Above jack is not designed to lift and hold GLC (yes I can see the picture of it in use). A proper jack from W166 ML or GLE should be used.

2. To avoid issue with fitting 18" spare from non-AMG ML/GLE on the front of GLC with sport brakes, a 19" spare from W166 ML63/GLE43/GLE63 should be used.

All this info was stated in details, with part numbers, in that large multi page thread regarding GLC spare.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:59 PM

2020 GLC 300
Good points for anyone looking to buy the spare tire parts.

For me, I am not worried about the jack at all. It's for a Mercedes that is heavier than the GLC300, and it fits perfectly. Plus I used it twice (front and back) and rocked the car around to test it. Very stable, and lifted the GLC effortlessly.

Definitely good to get a spare that fits the front. But the odds of me needing the spare at all, and then add the 50/50 odds of it being a flat in the front instead of the back, and it's just not worth bothering to sell this one and buy another. I'll stick with what I've got.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Congratulations on finding a solution that you are happy with.
One word of caution however......
Check the manuf date of your spare tire - the tire rubber should not be older than 7-10 years max.
Anything older, you really need to buy new rubber to fit to the rim, due to rubber fatigue- last thing you want is it shredding whilst being used.
Even though rubber has been kept hidden from UV , sunlight and weather the rubber still breaks down chemically.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by 2020GLC300
... and it's just not worth bothering to sell this one and buy another. I'll stick with what I've got.
My post was meant for others contemplating getting spare "package kit", but to do it "right" the first time by getting the proper parts.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by threeMBs
My post was meant for others contemplating getting spare "package kit", but to do it "right" the first time by getting the proper parts.
I got that, and acknowledged it in my last post.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Teckno
Congratulations on finding a solution that you are happy with.
One word of caution however......
Check the manuf date of your spare tire - the tire rubber should not be older than 7-10 years max.
Anything older, you really need to buy new rubber to fit to the rim, due to rubber fatigue- last thing you want is it shredding whilst being used.
Even though rubber has been kept hidden from UV , sunlight and weather the rubber still breaks down chemically.
Good luck.
Very familiar with tires aging-out because I own classics back to the 60's that are driven so little that the tires always age out before wearing out.

Aging is real, but FYI it's not that big of a deal for a spare. As the tires age, they become harder and don't corner or stop as well. After some really long time, not just 10 years, they can just flat out fail and blow out. But you're talking something like 30 or more years. As a spare, the tire will be barely used for very short trips, if used at all, and you will have 3 young tires on there that do just fine for cornering and stopping.

Mine is a lease vehicle, so I am again not worried about that aspect either. You have to consider the use case before being worried about such things. But definitely don't let your main tires get over 10 years!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 220D sport 2019
Smile

Originally Posted by threeMBs
Well a coupe of points.

1. Above jack is not designed to lift and hold GLC (yes I can see the picture of it in use). A proper jack from W166 ML or GLE should be used.

2. To avoid issue with fitting 18" spare from non-AMG ML/GLE on the front of GLC with sport brakes, a 19" spare from W166 ML63/GLE43/GLE63 should be used.

All this info was stated in details, with part numbers, in that large multi page thread regarding GLC spare.
I am new to this forum but interested nevertheless. I have a new Sept 2019 GLC220D sport and I am looking also looking to have a spare tire that I can keep in the rear well. My car however has 18" wheels - so it makes no sense to me to have a 19" spare. If I have to have a 19" spare to miss brake parts etc on the front, then to me - I have not purchased the correct wheel for the job and 19" is not compatible with my road wheels. Surely there has to be an 18" wheel out there to do the job ? The car lets face it - has 18" wheels fitted from the factory. The issue in my view is the offset offered with the 18" wheel - it just isnt sufficient. The main wheels have an offset of ET38. What we all need is an 18" wheel with that offset if I am correct. Therefore - which wheel, space saver or doughnut preferably in my view offers the precise requirements. Maybe when we find a wheel with the right offset - it might not fit in the well. Such is life !! - regards andy
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 PM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by andrew-glc
I am new to this forum but interested nevertheless. I have a new Sept 2019 GLC220D sport and I am looking also looking to have a spare tire that I can keep in the rear well. My car however has 18" wheels - so it makes no sense to me to have a 19" spare. If I have to have a 19" spare to miss brake parts etc on the front, then to me - I have not purchased the correct wheel for the job and 19" is not compatible with my road wheels. Surely there has to be an 18" wheel out there to do the job ? The car lets face it - has 18" wheels fitted from the factory. The issue in my view is the offset offered with the 18" wheel - it just isnt sufficient. The main wheels have an offset of ET38. What we all need is an 18" wheel with that offset if I am correct. Therefore - which wheel, space saver or doughnut preferably in my view offers the precise requirements. Maybe when we find a wheel with the right offset - it might not fit in the well. Such is life !! - regards andy
If you have 18” wheels then the 18” spare will work. Your brakes aren’t as big or 18” wheels wouldn’t work on your car.

Offset doesn’t matter for spares because they are very narrow wheels, so don’t worry about offset. What matters with spares is that they clear the brakes, fit the bolt pattern and hub, and have roughly the same overall diameter as the original wheels.

I am pretty sure the spare I got will work fine on your car.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi SQ5
OP: Did you get your GLC off dealer's lot because MB now offers a spare kit as a $200 option.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
I just pickup my 2020 GLC 300 a couple weeks ago. It comes with the spare tire and repair kit. I think that is standard now in Canada.

Last edited by abacnus; 10-04-2019 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fred9x (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 03:17 PM

Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by abacnus
I just pickup my 2020 GLC 300 a couple weeks ago. It comes with the spare tire. I think that is standard now in Canada
With the spare kit in, is there still space to stow the roller cover if you remove it? Is the standard storage package still there along with the spare?
Old 10-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
Originally Posted by jakecake
With the spare kit in, is there still space to stow the roller cover if you remove it? Is the standard storage package still there along with the spare?
It does not come with roller cover. I am not sure what storage package is. I will post a picture so that you can see.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:54 PM

Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by abacnus
It does not come with roller cover. I am not sure what storage package is. I will post a picture so that you can see.
You car did not come with the retractable cargo cover? I thought it was standard on all GLCs. If you need to transport tall cargo, you can remove it and stow it in a designated space where the spare would normally be. I was asking if with the spare in place, there's still room for the cargo cover.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic
[QUOTE=jakecake;7870254]With the spare kit in, is there still space to stow the roller cover if you remove it? Is the standard storage package still there along with the spare?[/QUOTE

I ordered the spare tire kit with my 2020. They basically remove the storage tray under the deck. There is a surprising volume of space left with the spare, jack, etc., some of it down to bare sheet metal around the spare. I have not tried stowing the roller cover under there but it might still be possible. I have a couple folded tarps on top of the tire and the deck closes easily. I'm out of town, or I would check for you.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Audi SQ5
[quote=RJOXYZ;7870365]
With the spare kit in, is there still space to stow the roller cover if you remove it? Is the standard storage package still there along with the spare?[/QUOTE

I ordered the spare tire kit with my 2020. They basically remove the storage tray under the deck. There is a surprising volume of space left with the spare, jack, etc., some of it down to bare sheet metal around the spare. I have not tried stowing the roller cover under there but it might still be possible. I have a couple folded tarps on top of the tire and the deck closes easily. I'm out of town, or I would check for you.
I would appreciate if you could check or post some photos when you have a chance. Really want to order the spare kit, but I often need to remove the cargo cover. This video at at 16 seconds is what I'm referring to:
Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
[QUOTE=jakecake;7870396]
Originally Posted by RJOXYZ

I would appreciate if you could check or post some photos when you have a chance. Really want to order the spare kit, but I often need to remove the cargo cover. This video at at 16 seconds is what I'm referring to: https://youtu.be/QXMpvpKmjWM?t=15
Yep, I've seen that before and seeing it again I am more doubtful. The spare is on the right side of the compartment and rides much higher than the tray. I fly home Sunday. Will try to remember to check. If I don't , feel free to message me.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 PM

2020 GLC 300
No way to put the roller cover under the trunk floor with the spare in there for my 2020. You can see my pics above that show how the spare takes up way too much room for the roller to fit.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:55 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by 2020GLC300
No way to put the roller cover under the trunk floor with the spare in there for my 2020. You can see my pics above that show how the spare takes up way too much room for the roller to fit.
True, if you have the standard storage tray under there. However, that is deleted with the spare tire kit and the tire is not just sitting on top of the tray as with your setup. It rides much lower in a dedicated carrier with the optional tire kit. Apple's and oranges. Not convinced it's possible with the option, either, but it might be and I will check when I'm in the same place as the car.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:21 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
[QUOTE=jakecake;7870396]

I would appreciate if you could check or post some photos when you have a chance. Really want to order the spare kit, but I often need to remove the cargo cover. This video at at 16 seconds is what I'm referring to: https://youtu.be/QXMpvpKmjWM?t=15
Well, I just checked and the cargo cover under the deck is a no go with the factory spare tire kit. I tried it in a couple positions and though close, the deck would not close all the way. If there was an additional half inch or so, you'd be in business. There is still a lot of storage under there, but the necessary space between the tire and the deck is just not sufficient for the roller cover. I would post pics, but don't have an image hosting account.

I've had several cars with cargo covers and the only time I removed them was when I had the rear seats down. I would then just stow the cover behind he front seats, across the rear foot wells. Still an option here, but I think you are talking about stowing the cover with the rear seats up?
jakecake (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Audi SQ5
[QUOTE=RJOXYZ;7871532]
Well, I just checked and the cargo cover under the deck is a no go with the factory spare tire kit. I tried it in a couple positions and though close, the deck would not close all the way. If there was an additional half inch or so, you'd be in business. There is still a lot of storage under there, but the necessary space between the tire and the deck is just not sufficient for the roller cover. I would post pics, but don't have an image hosting account.

I've had several cars with cargo covers and the only time I removed them was when I had the rear seats down. I would then just stow the cover behind he front seats, across the rear foot wells. Still an option here, but I think you are talking about stowing the cover with the rear seats up?
Thank you, appreciate you checking. I guess I can store it behind front seats, though I would prefer stowing it in a dedicated space so it doesn't move around while driving. BTW, if you have a photo you can upload it by clicking on "manage attachments"
Old 10-06-2019, 02:20 PM

Audi SQ5
[QUOTE=RJOXYZ;7871532]
I would then just stow the cover behind he front seats, across the rear foot wells. Still an option here
Now that I think about it, wouldn't the cover be too long to fit the width of the footwell area behind the front seats? Have you tried stowing it there?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:26 PM

2020 GLC 300 4Matic
[QUOTE=jakecake;7871562]

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the cover be too long to fit the width of the footwell area behind the front seats? Have you tried stowing it there?
I had not, but just checked and it fits behind the front seats easily, with several inches to spare.
jakecake (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Audi SQ5
[QUOTE=RJOXYZ;7871659]
I had not, but just checked and it fits behind the front seats easily, with several inches to spare.
Great, thanks for checking!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update on Spare tire kit for 2020 GLC