GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Thinking about getting a 2016 GLC300, give me reasons not to.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc300
Thinking about getting a 2016 GLC300, give me reasons not to.

Like the title says, im looking at a 2016 GLC 300, VIN just looking for reasons not to get it. I usually by reliable cars, that dont cost a lot to keep on the road.

This will be a daily driver. How prominent are fast wearing tire issue? Im guessing this is due to the toe and camber of the wheels.

i can deal with the brake squeal issue as long it does its job, i didnt notice any brake squeal on my test drive of the vehicle but may drive it again to make sure.

the car is almost out of warranty and was wondering if extended warranties are transferrable? If it even has one. I contacted a MB service department to see if I could get some service records and warranty information, but I got no response from them.

im not trying to throw a bunch of money out to keep a car on the road, if this isnt the vehicle, let me know. I enjoyed the test drive in the vehicle and fell in love on how comfortable it is. But its just those issues like fast wearing tires and other issues that bother me almost being out of warranty.

give me your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
It really depends on how you define 'fast wearing ' in terms of tyres....some people have greater expectations than I have in terms of expected mileage!
I presume it is not a right hand drive vehicle!
I currently drive a 2016 250d which I have had no major issues with....sensor on a/c unit, LED bulb in door handle, 4 wheel alignment a couple of times and apart from normal services that's it!
I am currently waiting on my 2020 300d which will be delivered in the new year.

Does it have Intelligent LEDs?

Last edited by decorily; 12-24-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:56 AM

glc300
Originally Posted by decorily
It really depends on how you define 'fast wearing ' in terms of tyres....some people have greater expectations than I have in terms of expected mileage!
I presume it is not a right hand drive vehicle!
I currently drive a 2016 250d which I have had no major issues with....sensor on a/c unit, LED bulb in door handle, 4 wheel alignment a couple of times and apart from normal services that's it!
I am currently waiting on my 2020 300d which will be delivered in the new year.

Does it have Intelligent LEDs?
LH drive model, i usually expect to get at least 40k miles on my tires before replacing them, people ive read on this forum are getting half of that or even less. Thats not acceptable.

i dont think this particular vehicle has intelligent LED’s, i actually have to look that up to see what that is. Im guessing thats referring to the headlights?

i just dont want to buy a money pit
Old 12-24-2019, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by c eazy
LH drive model, i usually expect to get at least 40k miles on my tires before replacing them, people ive read on this forum are getting half of that or even less. Thats not acceptable.

i dont think this particular vehicle has intelligent LED’s, i actually have to look that up to see what that is. Im guessing thats referring to the headlights?

i just dont want to buy a money pit
I bought my 1st permanent 4 wheel drive vehicle in 2004 and have been driving 4x4s since....have never managed to get 40k miles on a set of tyres!

For me Intelligent LEDs (yes..headlights) are a must...however I have no idea if in older cars they start to develop 'issues' and I wouldn't like to be funding repairs!
The following users liked this post:
c eazy (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 GLC 300
I took delivery of a 2016 GLC 300 on Wednesday of last week. It's now sitting in my garage waiting for MB Roadside Assistance to tow it back to the dealer. See my thread about a dead ignition switch. This is not to say you should or shouldn't buy the one you're looking at. It's just a reminder that anything can happen. You just never know. Prior to this I had a CPO 2012 C300 that had very few issues in the 6 years I owned it. The only issue with that car was it ate batteries. It was on its 4th battery when I traded it in.
c eazy (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Like the title says, im looking at a 2016 GLC 300, ...
As a very high mileage driver (my 2017 GLC now has over 120,000 mile on it) I can share some observations.

Tire wear: this seems to be a problem with the OEM run-flats. My original RFTs went 35,000 miles before needing replacement. I got a set of Michelins that were still serviceable at almost 80,000 miles. The only reason I replaced them when I did was because winter was coming on and I planned to do a lot of driving. The replacements are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II's which I don't expect to go quite as far but are even quieter and more comfortable than the Michelins.

Brake Squeal: mine does it, too, but now it's a whole lot worse since I got new pads and rotors at ~ 100,000 miles.

Warranties: There's a recent thread on this subject that should answer your questions at https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/749911-recommendations-extended-warranty.html.

Throwing money: No premium German car is going to be cheap to run, but you probably know that already. The trade off is that you get a fine luxury car that you can enjoy for a long time. To save money I don't buy the service packages anymore, I just keep an eye on the service schedule and have maintenance done at the dealer or local independent shop as the mileage dictates. And, not buying the service package also allows me to change oil every 7500 miles, as many technicians suggest.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChinaBob:
c eazy (12-24-2019), SilverSurferMB (12-27-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 01:48 PM

glc300
Originally Posted by M_Six
I took delivery of a 2016 GLC 300 on Wednesday of last week. It's now sitting in my garage waiting for MB Roadside Assistance to tow it back to the dealer. See my thread about a dead ignition switch. This is not to say you should or shouldn't buy the one you're looking at. It's just a reminder that anything can happen. You just never know. Prior to this I had a CPO 2012 C300 that had very few issues in the 6 years I owned it. The only issue with that car was it ate batteries. It was on its 4th battery when I traded it in.
i actually read your thread yesterday, hate to hear that happened. Exactly the type of Issues i dont need.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:52 PM

glc300
Originally Posted by ChinaBob
As a very high mileage driver (my 2017 GLC now has over 120,000 mile on it) I can share some observations.

Tire wear: this seems to be a problem with the OEM run-flats. My original RFTs went 35,000 miles before needing replacement. I got a set of Michelins that were still serviceable at almost 80,000 miles. The only reason I replaced them when I did was because winter was coming on and I planned to do a lot of driving. The replacements are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II's which I don't expect to go quite as far but are even quieter and more comfortable than the Michelins.

Brake Squeal: mine does it, too, but now it's a whole lot worse since I got new pads and rotors at ~ 100,000 miles.

Warranties: There's a recent thread on this subject that should answer your questions at https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/749911-recommendations-extended-warranty.html.

Throwing money: No premium German car is going to be cheap to run, but you probably know that already. The trade off is that you get a fine luxury car that you can enjoy for a long time. To save money I don't buy the service packages anymore, I just keep an eye on the service schedule and have maintenance done at the dealer or local independent shop as the mileage dictates. And, not buying the service package also allows me to change oil every 7500 miles, as many technicians suggest.
thanks for the honest feedback, the GLC im looking at had those Pirelli Scorpion verde tires, it rode well.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:13 PM

2016 GLC 300
i actually read your thread yesterday, hate to hear that happened. Exactly the type of Issues i dont need.
Getting it on the flatbed was a nightmare. The driver had one free hub and three "skates," which are plastic sliders that go under the other wheels. They worked to slide the car to the bed of the truck, but because the tow ring is offset and only one wheel was turning, the car kept skewing sideways. We were barely able to maneuver it onto the flatbed. If this had been in a crowded parking garage somewhere, it never would have worked. MB really needs to rethink the design of their electronics. There has to be some way to release the parking brake and get the thing in neutral without power.
c eazy (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 03:33 PM

glc300
Originally Posted by M_Six
Getting it on the flatbed was a nightmare. The driver had one free hub and three "skates," which are plastic sliders that go under the other wheels. They worked to slide the car to the bed of the truck, but because the tow ring is offset and only one wheel was turning, the car kept skewing sideways. We were barely able to maneuver it onto the flatbed. If this had been in a crowded parking garage somewhere, it never would have worked. MB really needs to rethink the design of their electronics. There has to be some way to release the parking brake and get the thing in neutral without power.
wow i didnt even think about that. You couldnt even put it into gear. Wild
Old 12-24-2019, 04:44 PM

2016 GLC 300
wow i didnt even think about that. You couldnt even put it into gear. Wild
Apparently the MB service folks at my dealer didn't think about it either. Despite the fact that I went through a bunch of troubleshooting steps with one of their techs yesterday *and* I warned them repeatedly that it was stuck in Park and the parking brake was on, they still had the tow truck driver go through the same motions of trying to get it into neutral. He was just as unsuccessful as I was. Then the service folks were stumped as to how to get my car on the truck other than to drag it. It was like they'd never considered this problem before.

Last edited by M_Six; 12-24-2019 at 06:05 PM.
c eazy (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLC300 4matic
Sounds scary for all of us???
Old 12-25-2019, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Like the title says, im looking at a 2016 GLC 300, VINjust looking for reasons not to get it. I usually by reliable cars, that dont cost a lot to keep on the road.

This will be a daily driver. How prominent are fast wearing tire issue? Im guessing this is due to the toe and camber of the wheels.

i can deal with the brake squeal issue as long it does its job, i didnt notice any brake squeal on my test drive of the vehicle but may drive it again to make sure.

the car is almost out of warranty and was wondering if extended warranties are transferrable? If it even has one. I contacted a MB service department to see if I could get some service records and warranty information, but I got no response from them.

im not trying to throw a bunch of money out to keep a car on the road, if this isnt the vehicle, let me know. I enjoyed the test drive in the vehicle and fell in love on how comfortable it is. But its just those issues like fast wearing tires and other issues that bother me almost being out of warranty.

Because they ride only Ok
They do not drive that nice
Interior while designed nice is cheap and rattles
The 4banger is loud as can be
They are very small inside

I would go for a last year mode GLK or last year ML. N/A Engine and proven transmission.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,841 Likes on 3,027 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
c eazy, what cars do you drive now, and what cars have you driven in the past? This will help us to help you compare the differences of driving and maintaining the GLC compared with your previous cars.

40k miles from M-B tires is more than most people achieve. My factory Contis will be nearly bald by 40k. I got 60k repeatedly on Goodyear Eagle LS2s on a late model VW Touareg. So the German AWD comment does not universally apply.

M-B specs lower tire pressure and more camber and toe than most manufacturers. This leads to significantly faster tire wear, compared with other vehicles. I air up to 45psi cold inflation pressure on all tires and it has alleviated uneven wear I experienced at the lower M-B recommended pressure.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by chassis
c eazy,...
...........on a late model VW Touareg.
VW Touareg...now there's a car worth considering!
Drove 3 of them from '04 to 2015 before my first GLC250d.

chassis (12-27-2019)