GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Recommendation for new tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
W204->W212->W222
I agree that Michelins are a great option on the GLC for non-run flats. Wehave had Michelin Premier LTX and they last much longer than OEM run-flats and fairly comfortable ride. OEMs only last 15-20k miles as per the local MB sales manager.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Just had a set of CrossClimate2 installed. Not a lot of miles on them just yet but I must say my initial impression is that they are a huge improvement over the Pirelli's that I got 31k miles out of.

The tires are extremely quiet. This was my biggest concern especially as I looked at the tread design, but I can safely say there is basically no tire noise. I actually hear the engine at times now which I realize I never really did before.

They actually ride a little firmer than I expected, but still significantly better than the Pirelli's. Tire pressure is at 42 psi, which may be part of it (I had the Pirelli’s at 34). I may actually bring that down a bit, but although firm they are still very nice riding. When I originally had the Pirellis from the factory at 45 psi the ride was bone-jarring, but the Pirelli's at 42 are nowhere near that.

Much improved when going over bumps, both from a comfort and noise standpoint. I think I may have gone over a pothole at one point, but to be honest I’m not sure because it didn’t pound hard like it used to so. Hitting a pothole with the Pirelli's made you think you hit a brick wall.

Will report back when I get a lot more miles on then, but my initial impression is that this is a tremendous tire, and I am very happy so far.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Are your new CrossClimate2 tyres still run-flat? (I assume that's part of the reason the Pirelli's are so bone jarring).

Also has anyone changed tyres while new? I ask because new tyres are always quieter, so I wonder if all these reviews of tyres being much quiter are partly because it's a brand new tyre vs a multi year old one.
The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 PM

Very good points tGs Wraith

CrossClimate 2 are not run flat. For 18" Rim only 2 available run flat - Continental and Pirelli. The non RFT likely was the major help on the potholes.

For sure the Pirellis got louder as they aged, around 15k or so I think is when they really got bad.

New vs new I think the Michelin would still be quieter, and yes by not as much.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:53 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Do you have a comparison between your Michelins, 2016-2019 Pirellis, and 2020+ Conti Cross Contact lx sport?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:59 PM

From what i have read in reviews as such, the Continentals may be a bit better than the Pirelli's, but both suffer from poor tread life especially, and 2nd grip is comfort.. General consensus seems to be that any non-RFT exceeds those two for treadwear, noise, comfort, price, etc, which makes sense as the reality of RFT is there are tradeoffs in order to be able to drive 50 miles with no air. Originally i wish I had the 19's as the DriveGuards seem to be a nice combo of RFT and good ride, but since i have a spare now will be non-RFT going forward for sure.
ParjAS (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
hi guys, i have a 2020 GLC 200 coupe that i bought back in April 2020. the car is currently in dealership and seems tires are the cause of many issues i had since day one (vibration on bumps, bottoming up, sound, etc). the dealer already replaced 2 tires which had flat spots as he said, but the noise from tires upon driving got worst. now in search for all set new tires under warranty. here are the details of the tires:
1- originally we had michelin all weather on the car, non RF, 255/45 ZR20. i live in Saudi Arabia so we have extreme hot dry weather 90% of the year.
2- the dealer is now saying that better not to go with michelin for the new set of tires and suggested dunlop or continental. we couldnt find Dunlop in the Market, so waiting for Continental tires to get approved by the sales to issue an purchase order. i heard that Conti is the best tires for GLC, is that true or should i ask for another brand?

thanks.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by wesram
hi guys, i have a 2020 GLC 200 coupe that i bought back in April 2020. the car is currently in dealership and seems tires are the cause of many issues i had since day one (vibration on bumps, bottoming up, sound, etc). the dealer already replaced 2 tires which had flat spots as he said, but the noise from tires upon driving got worst. now in search for all set new tires under warranty. here are the details of the tires:
1- originally we had michelin all weather on the car, non RF, 255/45 ZR20. i live in Saudi Arabia so we have extreme hot dry weather 90% of the year.
2- the dealer is now saying that better not to go with michelin for the new set of tires and suggested dunlop or continental. we couldnt find Dunlop in the Market, so waiting for Continental tires to get approved by the sales to issue an purchase order. i heard that Conti is the best tires for GLC, is that true or should i ask for another brand?

thanks.
I really like Pirelli Scorpion non RF, handling and ride are excellent.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by SilverSurferMB
I really like Pirelli Scorpion non RF, handling and ride are excellent.
I still find them to be quite noisy for a non-RF, but not more so than the OEM tires. I was hoping for less road noise, but I guess I am probably expecting too much from a GLC.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I still find them to be quite noisy for a non-RF, but not more so than the OEM tires. I was hoping for less road noise, but I guess I am probably expecting too much from a GLC.
My other vehicle is a Jeep so I guess I'm not a good judge of road noise!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:21 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by wesram

thanks.
I am looking at more of a summer tire in your situation. I don't see the need for all seasons tires.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
tires

Originally Posted by ParjAS
I am looking at more of a summer tire in your situation. I don't see the need for all seasons tires.
Not sure what is the tire setup is here in my country but I have never heard of seasonal tires when i changed for my previous cars. hopefully, the new tires will be good enough.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by SilverSurferMB
My other vehicle is a Jeep so I guess I'm not a good judge of road noise!
I normally run sport tires on everything so I don't care about noise, but as this is the wife's car and we often take it to dinner or something where I'm driving with the windows up and the radio down and we are talking, I notice it. If it was me and I was just blasting along I wouldn't hear it, I also wouldn't mind as a noisy tire doesn't matter as long as it works, IMO.
SilverSurferMB (11-10-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by midesaka
Not in your size (I have 19" with 235/55R19), but after replacing the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verde run-flats with the same tire once, in January I went with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady non-RF. I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality, perhaps a bit better dry traction, and much better wet traction and resistance to aquaplaning. Only downside so far appears to be a slight decrease in fuel economy. Hope this helps, despite the size difference!
What tire pressure are you keeping?
Old 11-09-2022, 05:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by ar85
What tire pressure are you keeping?
I normally run 35 front and 38-40 rear.

And now that I have some miles on them, I can give some fuel economy stats.
First set of Pirelli Scorpion Verdes went 28760 miles and returned 25.59 MPG.
Second set of Scorpion Verdes went 23375 miles and returned 25.10 MPG.
So far, the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReadys have gone 39185 miles and returned 25.03 MPG.

There's still a ton of tread left on the Goodyears, so I'm not looking to replace them anytime soon.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by midesaka
Not in your size (I have 19" with 235/55R19), but after replacing the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verde run-flats with the same tire once, in January I went with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady non-RF. I noticed an immediate improvement in ride quality, perhaps a bit better dry traction, and much better wet traction and resistance to aquaplaning. Only downside so far appears to be a slight decrease in fuel economy. Hope this helps, despite the size difference!
I second this. My Pirelli run flats started to get very noisy after 10K. Fortunately my current GLC (18” wheels) has a spare so I was able to switch to non run flat tires. I went with the Goodyear Weather Ready tires after putting them on my wife’s GLE and liking them a lot. These tires have made a world of difference. They ride vey comfortably, are excellent in the rain and snow, and have been slow to wear. The handling is a bit “softer” compared to the Pirelli’s, but I will take this trade off all day compared to those trash OEM tires.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22 E350 4Matic
2022 E350 4Matic

I use the following site to determine the tire size according to the recommended size in the gas door. First, determine the rim size, I have 9x19 so i ordered 275/30R19 recommend by MB.

Here is the site: https://www.rimringz.com/wheels-and-tires-sizes/
Old 06-28-2024, 05:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
on GLC300 #2 (GL350 before those)
Voicing another aspect of ROF or Run On Flat tires, they're mostly way heavier than the standard equivalent. I took off (needlessly noisy) Pirelli Verde All Season ROF in 19" OE size, and they were easily 5-6 lbs. heavier than their standard replacement of Conti's CrossContact LX Sport (non rof). It was so dramatic, I should have weighed them to find out the reality since it felt greater than the specs (from 5 to 8 lbs each, depending upon source) suggested. Even the spec for Pirelli in ROF vs. not (newer AS Plus 3) is 2 or 3 lbs less weight each tire, IRRC.
Unsprung weight - the kind hanging off the edge of your suspension, the body and car itself are held up by the springs - acts like a weight on the end of a fulcrum. More weight is more difficult to control due to inertial forces, so heavy means worse response to impacts by the wheel/tire assembly, more bounce means possibly less contact with the road which means worse handling, more weight takes more effort to move, etc. Any competitive racer will tell you how they'd sell their mother to reduce their car's unsprung weight of 5 lbs. per corner.

I have both a spare tire set up and a set of take-off 18" super nice tires, each on offer in classifieds for anyone smart enough to finally scrap their run flats and experience a quiet, smooth Benz.
https://mbworld.org/forums/market/893620

Last edited by mustbebenz; 06-28-2024 at 05:26 PM.