GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

User profiles and memory seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
User profiles and memory seats

This has been asked in various forms across various forums but I can't find a consistent answer that is compatible with what I am seeing in the MB app and on the instrument cluster of my wife's '21 GLC 300.

I understand MB's (questionable) decision not to associate seat positions with the key fob. However I would have expected that when I select my profile and adjust the seat and mirror positions that gets remembered in my profile. If my wife then enters the vehicle and selects her profile the seats and mirrors would adjust to the position stored in the profile. And if I use the vehicle after her and select my profile the seat and mirror positions would adjust.

Alas this is not what happens. The seat and mirror positions seem completely decoupled from the user profiles. When a profile is selected it makes a number of adjustments however seat and mirror positions are NOT among the adjustments. In order for each of us to adjust settings to their likings we have to take two steps: 1) use the memory buttons on the door to get the desired seat and mirror positions, and then 2) select the profile on the MBUX. This seems completely retarded for a 2021 vehicle, particularly one at the GLC's price point.

I have looked through the vehicle settings both in the app and on the instrument cluster. They are
  • Acoustic lock
  • Automatic door lock
  • Belt adjustment
  • Automatic mirror folding
  • Easy entry exit
There is nothing I can find on the screen or in the manual on seat memory other than the door buttons. The truly aggravating thing is that sometimes, for no apparent reason, the seats WILL move when a profile is selected. A few days ago I stepped into the car, adjusted my seats, selected my profile... and the seats started moving to my wife's position, which is pretty much crushing me into the steering wheel.

Please tell me that I am missing something obvious and that the Germans have not vastly over-thought this one.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:41 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
I'm at a loss just as you are in how the Germans have not only programmed what you're complaining about but many other things as well. It's not any different in my '21 GLE.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,192 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I'll take a stab at this, based on our 21 GLE.

I THINK that a profile won't move a seat without the occupant using an actual switch. Like the Pinch Protection on windows - it's regulated in many Euro countries.

So I think changing the profile does change the memory settings on each seat, so if you're #2 in her profile and you're #1 in yours, those memory assignments are what changes. But the seat doesn't move automatically.
​​​​​​In that case, you would press #1, and it'll adjust to your setting. I think.

Maybe I'll learn Profiles in year three of ownership.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:15 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by mikapen
I'll take a stab at this, based on our 21 GLE.

I THINK that a profile won't move a seat without the occupant using an actual switch. Like the Pinch Protection on windows - it's regulated in many Euro countries.

So I think changing the profile does change the memory settings on each seat, so if you're #2 in her profile and you're #1 in yours, those memory assignments are what changes. But the seat doesn't move automatically.
​​​​​​In that case, you would press #1, and it'll adjust to your setting. I think.

Maybe I'll learn Profiles in year three of ownership.
Confirmation from my dealer - the only way to recall seat/mirror position on the GLC is via a switch. There is no option you can buy that overcomes this behavior. How incredibly pathetically stupid.

I don't buy the EU regulations argument. BMW has had this since at least 2010, and the high end trim of practically every mid market sedan does it too. This is truly an "MBZ special".

There seems to be a "memory package" that does exactly this but it is not offered on the GLC
https://www.la.mercedes-benz.com/en/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/gle/suv-v167/comfort.pi.html/mercedes-benz-cars/models/gle/suv-v167/comfort/comfortpackages/memorypackage

Last edited by GroovyGeek; 12-21-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,920 Likes on 2,621 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, it's MB's decision not to automatically move the seat when selecting a profile. However, the above poster is correct. What is associated with each profile are the three seat memory positions, so each profile can have its own seat positions. I don't know why your seat sometimes moves, but your experience with getting crushed into the steering wheel if you switch between a tall and short driver is exactly why MB decided to not automatically adjust the seats. Associating it with the key is also less than reliable, because if two drivers get into the car together, both with one of the key fobs, then the car doesn't know which key fob to use, so the active profile will be random at that point. My previous Audi for example associated the profile with the key fob, so whenever I used the spare key I ended up having different settings and I had to keep them in sync manually between the two fobs. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages. I'm the only driver of my car, so I prefer the MB implementation as I always have the same settings regardless of which fob I grab.
The following users liked this post:
TouringFordor (12-21-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 03:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300de 2021
Originally Posted by GroovyGeek

There seems to be a "memory package" that does exactly this but it is not offered on the GLC
https://www.la.mercedes-benz.com/en/.../memorypackage
Even with this package you need to press the memory preset buttons to move the seat and steeringwheel.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC43 2022
Originally Posted by GroovyGeek
This has been asked in various forms across various forums but I can't find a consistent answer that is compatible with what I am seeing in the MB app and on the instrument cluster of my wife's '21 GLC 300.

I understand MB's (questionable) decision not to associate seat positions with the key fob. However I would have expected that when I select my profile and adjust the seat and mirror positions that gets remembered in my profile. If my wife then enters the vehicle and selects her profile the seats and mirrors would adjust to the position stored in the profile. And if I use the vehicle after her and select my profile the seat and mirror positions would adjust.

Alas this is not what happens. The seat and mirror positions seem completely decoupled from the user profiles. When a profile is selected it makes a number of adjustments however seat and mirror positions are NOT among the adjustments. In order for each of us to adjust settings to their likings we have to take two steps: 1) use the memory buttons on the door to get the desired seat and mirror positions, and then 2) select the profile on the MBUX. This seems completely retarded for a 2021 vehicle, particularly one at the GLC's price point.

I have looked through the vehicle settings both in the app and on the instrument cluster. They are
  • Acoustic lock
  • Automatic door lock
  • Belt adjustment
  • Automatic mirror folding
  • Easy entry exit
There is nothing I can find on the screen or in the manual on seat memory other than the door buttons. The truly aggravating thing is that sometimes, for no apparent reason, the seats WILL move when a profile is selected. A few days ago I stepped into the car, adjusted my seats, selected my profile... and the seats started moving to my wife's position, which is pretty much crushing me into the steering wheel.

Please tell me that I am missing something obvious and that the Germans have not vastly over-thought this one.
I have GLC43 and my Wife has a CLA45. The GLC43 MBUX does not memorize the seat, the side mirrors and the steering wheel positions while the CLA45 does all of that. I troubleshooted a lot to figure out why I cannot memorize the seat settings on the GLC43 and I could not find any clear reference about the profiles limitation on this model. Basically, as it stands today, the profiles function on the GLC43 is useless.
GroovyGeek (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 11:28 AM

GLC300
Originally Posted by BillinParis
I have GLC43 and my Wife has a CLA45. The GLC43 MBUX does not memorize the seat, the side mirrors and the steering wheel positions while the CLA45 does all of that. I troubleshooted a lot to figure out why I cannot memorize the seat settings on the GLC43 and I could not find any clear reference about the profiles limitation on this model. Basically, as it stands today, the profiles function on the GLC43 is useless.
\snark_mode{on}
Let's give credit where credit is due - profiles perform a critical function: they remember radio stations. Unfortunately in order to account for limitations in the DOS operating system underlying MBUX (no one will ever need more than 256kB of memory, right?) they cannot remember things like screen mode configurations (what is displayed on which panel of the electronic data cluster).
\snark_mode{off}

Whoever heads software at MB should be ashamed of the performance of their organization. There are low-mid range sedans and SUVs that have been on the market for 10+ years that are more capable.
baragone (06-27-2023)