GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Exhaust tip trim removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc300
Exhaust tip trim removal

Anyone have a DIY on removing the exhaust trim on the bumper?

Hoping to replace the chrome fake exhaust tips with black ones.

Looks like they are just tabs holding it into the bumper but want to make sure I don’t have to pull the whole bumper off to swap out.

appreciate the help!!
Old 06-23-2024, 01:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4MATIC M274
Hi, Do a search on YouTube for GLC hitch installation. I believe that U-haul and E-trailer have complete videos on the rear bumper trim removal. Up through 2019, the exhaust tips are held in place with 2 bolts each and 2 tabs. They can be removed separately from the bumper trim. However, with the facelift model, I believe the exhaust exits behind the bumper and not through any tips. What seem to be exhaust tips in the bumper are only visual.

Last edited by scaryfast; 06-23-2024 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:39 AM

Glc300
Sorry should have clarified.

It's a facelift model (2022) - visual tips only.

So assuming it’s still like pre facelift and can be removed without having to take off while bumper?
Old 06-24-2024, 02:39 PM

x253 facelift GLC
Did you manage to solve this? I need the same information

QUOTE=Bdabs;8990379]Anyone have a DIY on removing the exhaust trim on the bumper?

Hoping to replace the chrome fake exhaust tips with black ones.

Looks like they are just tabs holding it into the bumper but want to make sure I don’t have to pull the whole bumper off to swap out.

appreciate the help!![/QUOTE]
Old 06-24-2024, 06:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4MATIC M274
Here is a photo I found on eBay from the back of the fake exhaust bezel in the bumper. You can see the chrome tabs connecting the trim cover to the black housing or mount. Looks like you can release those tabs and remove the chrome cover to repace it with a black part or sand and paint the original part. No need to remove the bumper. From behind the bumper, try using a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry each black plastic clip away from the center of the chrome tabs and push the tabs out of the mount to remove the part. Looks like the mount itself is riveted to the bumper, but the bezel cover can be removed separately with the bumper attached.

Last edited by scaryfast; 06-24-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:39 PM

Glc300
Thanks @scaryfast ! This wasn't as difficult as i thought. For the post facelift models (mines a 2022) - I got under the car and was able to see the clips (as shown in the pic above). I gently was able to push the two side tabs and then the bottoms one up and this allowed me to pry (very gently with trim tools) the chrome trim piece out. Once the bottoms were out the top slowly popped out with a little pull.

Shockingly none of the tabs broke on either side. The replacement trim just popped right back in and looks sooo much better than the chrome.

@joshg88 I would recommend that you start with the sides as they are easily visible when your under the car looking at the back of the bumper.

Thanks again for your help @scaryfast !
Old 06-25-2024, 03:10 AM

x253 facelift GLC
Thanks mate, will have a go and see how I get on
Old 06-25-2024, 02:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLC 300 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by Bdabs
Thanks @scaryfast ! This wasn't as difficult as i thought. For the post facelift models (mines a 2022) - I got under the car and was able to see the clips (as shown in the pic above). I gently was able to push the two side tabs and then the bottoms one up and this allowed me to pry (very gently with trim tools) the chrome trim piece out. Once the bottoms were out the top slowly popped out with a little pull.

Shockingly none of the tabs broke on either side. The replacement trim just popped right back in and looks sooo much better than the chrome.

@joshg88 I would recommend that you start with the sides as they are easily visible when your under the car looking at the back of the bumper.

Thanks again for your help @scaryfast !
Before and after pics?