GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

2023 GLC will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 10:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
Originally Posted by EWL5
To be fair to Mercedes (and other luxury brands like BMW), the electronics on these cars are far more sophisticated than in mass market cars. I have Drivers Assistance (DAP) in my GLS and the car has enough sensors, cameras, and an algorithm good enough to have the car change lanes on its own (semi-autonomous driving). Most mass market brands have "technology" but all they're really doing is checking off a box and telling the customer, "look, we're comparable to the luxury brands"! You only need to look at the digital dash of brands like Acura to know that they are a long way off from even a car OS like MBUX.

Which brings me back to my original point: Mercedes has really good tech. Owners shouldn't be beta testers (I'm literally beta testing their ChatGPT "Hey Mercedes" feature right now)!

yea, but that tech is already available on cars that cost half as much. There’s really nothing that advanced about what Mercedes has out right now, except maybe on paper. They spend time and resources making cool animated stars project onto the ground, but can’t keep their cars from going haywire and shutting down. The new MBUX can’t even keep carplay connected for a full commute to work. Like, not once, has my 23 GLC not disconnected my phone on the way to work, at least temporarily. Maybe the GLS is better, but the GLC is a mess. You shouldn’t have to spend $100k to get what you get from everyone else at $40k.

i feel like there was a time when MB was more advanced than “mass market” cars, but that seems to have fallen to the wayside, and they are banking on being flashy and brand cachet now to carry them. I think it will be detrimental to the company as a whole in the long run. At my work, for example, people who are looking for new cars won’t even consider Mercedes right now because they see what myself and one of my coworkers are going through with this company right now. It’s actually pushing people towards brands like Toyota/Lexus

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 10-20-2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:43 AM

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by KrayzieVetteGLC
yea, but that tech is already available on cars that cost half as much. There’s really nothing that advanced about what Mercedes has out right now, except maybe on paper. They spend time and resources making cool animated stars project onto the ground, but can’t keep their cars from going haywire and shutting down. The new MBUX can’t even keep carplay connected for a full commute to work. Like, not once, has my 23 GLC not disconnected my phone on the way to work, at least temporarily. Maybe the GLS is better, but the GLC is a mess. You shouldn’t have to spend $100k to get what you get from everyone else at $40k.

i feel like there was a time when MB was more advanced than “mass market” cars, but that seems to have fallen to the wayside, and they are banking on being flashy and brand cachet now to carry them. I think it will be detrimental to the company as a whole in the long run. At my work, for example, people who are looking for new cars won’t even consider Mercedes right now because they see what myself and one of my coworkers are going through with this company right now. It’s actually pushing people towards brands like Toyota/Lexus
If you are that unhappy w/the GLC, then I highly recommend the X3 (I have the xDrive30i). BMW has had wireless CP/AA for a while now and it works pretty well. If you are serious about going this route, we can take this convo to PM or you can find any number of folks that can help w/your decision making here:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=666

Note that if you like buttons and physical controls, the MY24 X3 is the last one before they follow the Mercedes route and start getting rid of them!
Old 10-20-2023, 11:03 AM

2023 GLC 300
If you are that unhappy w/the GLC, then I highly recommend the X3 (I have the xDrive30i). BMW has had wireless CP/AA for a while now and it works pretty well. If you are serious about going this route, we can take this convo to PM or you can find any number of folks that can help w/your decision making here:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=666

Note that if you like buttons and physical controls, the MY24 X3 is the last one before they follow the Mercedes route and start getting rid of them!
im already well past unhappy with the GLC and getting a different SUV, my lawyer is going through MB with the buyback process right now, just waiting for resolution as MB seems to think 120 days out of 150 in the shop for a brand new car is perfectly acceptable, and by some of the replies i see on this forum, so do a lot of their customers for whatever reason.

interestingly, my lawyer told me MB fights the most, but also loses the most cases and will probably take another 120 or so days because they seem to drag the process out more than most.

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 10-20-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 4MATIC SUV
It’s amazing the Kool-Aid Mercedes-Benz drivers drink. $60,000 car that leaves you stranded every few days and people here are talking about how they just need to work out the kinks lol. I have multiple cars and some hybrids and this is the only one that does this. And you get to pay extra for the privilege I just don’t get it.
I don’t get it either. I feel like I’m in twilight zone when I read some of the posts on here or Reddit. It’s like people get angry when you’re unhappy about getting stranded or not being able to rely on a brand new vehicle. Brand loyalty is truly something.

I just recently picked up my GLC from its 3rd repair attempt. The error messages and check engine lights are gone, but there’s obviously still something wrong with the throttle. I’m sure the techs felt it when they test drove it, but I guess they considered their job done since the messages were gone. I should have known something was up when my advisor said that it was fixed “per Mercedes”.

It also came back with new problems, such as the parking cameras picking up things that aren’t there and the Mercedes Me app repeatedly asking if I want to lock my car literally as soon as I unlock it.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:21 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by bigbodybenzes
It also came back with new problems, such as the parking cameras picking up things that aren’t there and the Mercedes Me app repeatedly asking if I want to lock my car literally as soon as I unlock it.
The cameras being too sensitive is not specific to Mercedes and the sensitivity can be adjusted by you in menu.
I actually do appreciate when the Mercedes Me app tells me the car is unlocked because sometimes me or my wife may forget to lock it. AFAIK, Mercedes doesn't have a "lock while walking away" feature like on my X3 (one of my favorite features to be honest!).
Old 10-20-2023, 11:26 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2021 GLE , 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
im already well past unhappy with the GLC and getting a different SUV, my lawyer is going through MB with the buyback process right now, just waiting for resolution as MB seems to think 120 days out of 150 in the shop for a brand new car is perfectly acceptable, and by some of the replies i see on this forum, so do a lot of their customers for whatever reason.

interestingly, my lawyer told me MB fights the most, but also loses the most cases (for him, at least) and will probably take another 120 or so days because they seem to drag the process out more than most.
If you want a reliable vehicle, one with far better resale value than BMW, or MB get a Japanese car. The BMW X3 , which I owned years ago, looks just like the BMW X3 that my son currently has. It’s old ,tired, and deeply in need of a refresh. I own Mercedes, however, I am not disillusioned about what they provide and what they lack. I never buy a new model in its first year and NEVER hold them beyond their warranty. The new GLC is a disaster, I know 2 people that have it and both have issues with it. I realize that the sample size is small however take it for what it’s worth. GLC should stand for “ GOTTA LEMON CAR”. ( I hope that’s original ).
Old 10-20-2023, 11:27 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by bigbodybenzes
It’s funny because about a week before the problems started, I was thinking about trading mine in for a 2024 next year. Definitely won’t be doing so after all this.
I find it ironic that MY24 GLCs are already on lots, just a short 6 months after the X254 launch!
This quick loss in value for MY23 is the price you pay for being an early adopter I guess.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:29 AM

2023 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
If you want a reliable vehicle, one with far better resale value than BMW, or MB get a Japanese car. The BMW X3 , which I owned years ago, looks just like the BMW X3 that my son currently has. It’s old ,tired, and deeply in need of a refresh. I own Mercedes, however, I am not disillusioned about what they provide and what they lack. I never buy a new model in its first year and NEVER hold them beyond their warranty. The new GLC is a disaster, I know 2 people that have it and both have issues with it. I realize that the sample size is small however take it for what it’s worth. GLC should stand for “ GOTTA LEMON CAR”. ( I hope that’s original ).
I understand that cars like Toyotas and Hondas are more reliable than Mercedes and BMW. I was fully aware of that going into it, but more reliable and brand new vehicle can’t go three days without stranding you are two totally different things to me. I guess I’m just crazy like that.

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 10-20-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:40 AM

'23 GLS450
I understand that cars like Toyotas and Hondas are more reliable than Mercedes and BMW. I was fully aware of that going into it, but more reliable and brand new vehicle can’t go three days without stranding you are two totally different things to me. I guess I’m just crazy like that.
I don't know if this GLC was your first Mercedes but it wasn't always like this. Problems only started creeping up when Mercedes decided they were a tech company and put quite a bit of eggs in their EV basket. Now I'm not sure if they have enough engineers to make their ICE cars work!
Old 10-20-2023, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300 4MATIC SUV
The cameras being too sensitive is not specific to Mercedes and the sensitivity can be adjusted by you in menu.
I actually do appreciate when the Mercedes Me app tells me the car is unlocked because sometimes me or my wife may forget to lock it. AFAIK, Mercedes doesn't have a "lock while walking away" feature like on my X3 (one of my favorite features to be honest!).
Just because the error isn’t specific to Mercedes doesn’t make it less annoying to deal with. I’m aware that the sensitivity can be adjusted. The problem is that the cameras seem to be sensing objects that are not there resulting in brake assist stepping in.

The app is nice when it works. Before the recent repair it was working correctly. Now it constantly pings me between the short time it takes to unlock my car and start it up.

The bottom line is the car isn’t operating correctly. I’m happy for everyone whose issues were solved, but that has not been the case for me.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:51 AM

2023 GLC 300
I don't know if this GLC was your first Mercedes but it wasn't always like this. Problems only started creeping up when Mercedes decided they were a tech company and put quite a bit of eggs in their EV basket. Now I'm not sure if they have enough engineers to make their ICE cars work!
this is my first Mercedes—my parents have a 21 GLE and a 23 Maybach they have had a few problems but nothing crazy like me so I thought I would dip my toe in with the GLC and boy was i wrong. I have a pretty gnarly commute in the winter and there’s no way I’m going to trust this car to get me through it. Ironically my $33,000 Forester has been a champ since day one and I’ll have to be using that again this winter.

I guess I’m mostly just upset because Mercedes refuses to acknowledge this problem, and is fighting tooth and nail every chance they get. Even their dealers are acting like this is not a big deal that my car couldn’t be used for four out of the first five months I’ve owned it and ghosted me pretty much the entire time the car was in there. And even people here and on Reddit are acting like this is just the way it is and that I should be thankful to be driving a Mercedes or something, which I guess is part of the reason why Mercedes doesn’t give a **** because people are going to give them their money regardless.
Who cares if the car actually works or not it’s a Mercedes!!!!!
I’m turned off to the company as a whole now.

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 10-20-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 347 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Is the GLC the first Mercedes to get MBUX 2? I know the ‘24 GLS has it now.
MBUX 2 (NTG 7) first came out on the 2021 S Class. It since launched (I believe in order) on the 2022 EQS, 2022 C, 2023 EQE, 2023 A (not US), and 2023 EQE SUV beofore being introduced on the 2023 GLC. Next up was 2024 GLE and GLS, and soon to be 2024 CLA, GLA, and GLB and also CLE. Then the new E Class has (hasn't yet launched in the US) something like NTG 7.5 or NTG 8, which is more similar in layout to what the newer MB.OS will be like (not sure what car that will launch on).
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 12:21 PM

'23 GLS450
this is my first Mercedes—my parents have a 21 GLE and a 23 Maybach they have had a few problems but nothing crazy like me so I thought I would dip my toe in with the GLC and boy was i wrong. I have a pretty gnarly commute in the winter and there’s no way I’m going to trust this car to get me through it. Ironically my $33,000 Forester has been a champ since day one and I’ll have to be using that again this winter.

I guess I’m mostly just upset because Mercedes refuses to acknowledge this problem, and is fighting tooth and nail every chance they get. Even their dealers are acting like this is not a big deal that my car couldn’t be used for four out of the first five months I’ve owned it and ghosted me pretty much the entire time the car was in there. And even people here and on Reddit are acting like this is just the way it is and that I should be thankful to be driving a Mercedes or something, which I guess is part of the reason why Mercedes doesn’t give a **** because people are going to give them their money regardless.
Who cares if the car actually works or not it’s a Mercedes!!!!!
I’m turned off to the company as a whole now.
That '23 Maybach may not be out of the woods yet (do your parents post in the GLS thread?)!
If I have to get out of Dodge, I definitely want a car that starts (stick w/the Subaru)!
Old 10-20-2023, 12:25 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
MBUX 2 (NTG 7) first came out on the 2021 S Class. It since launched (I believe in order) on the 2022 EQS, 2022 C, 2023 EQE, 2023 A (not US), and 2023 EQE SUV beofore being introduced on the 2023 GLC. Next up was 2024 GLE and GLS, and soon to be 2024 CLA, GLA, and GLB.
Did the S Class have any issues w/MBUX 2? I haven't heard anything near the disaster that the C and GLC have been!
Old 10-20-2023, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 347 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Did the S Class have any issues w/MBUX 2? I haven't heard anything near the disaster that the C and GLC have been!
People have been complaining about other things a lot on that forum (mostly one particular member) but not the same stuff plaguing the GLC. I also haven't heard of nearly the same issue with the C Class. I believe the issues the GLC is having are not related to the infotainment system, but is something GLC specific.
EWL5 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 12:29 PM

2023 GLC 300
That '23 Maybach may not be out of the woods yet (do your parents post in the GLS thread?)!
If I have to get out of Dodge, I definitely want a car that starts (stick w/the Subaru)!
no, theyre old and probably wouldn’t even know how to post there lol. They've only had problems with the TPMS and i think an interior trim piece so far. To be fair, they’ve probably put less than 1000 miles on it so far.

i buy first models of cars all the time. I was in the tech industry as a programmer for years and am the kind of person to buy new tech and tinker and basically become a beta tester (i have a $2300 wifi 7 mesh setup in my house, for example which is totally unnecessary as an example), so am very tolerant of bugs and “working out the kinks.” This car is on a whole other level of busted though, and frankly is downright dangerous.

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 10-20-2023 at 12:46 PM.
EWL5 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 11:16 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E 250, 1999 BMW M Roadster, 1939 International Harvester, 2023 GLC
Current owners problems not withstanding GLC was the best-selling Mercedes-Benz model with 342,900 units (+3%) in 2022 globally . I am sure that Mercedes wishes to maintain this volume so I expect any problems will be resolved for current customer's GLC and future ones. Other makes in the MB line have the same or similar technology. There may end being service bulletin released maybe even a recall but I am sure MB will do right by its owners. Lack of good customer service may be an issue with the dealer or the local MB corp people. Hang in there.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:54 PM

2023 GLC 300
Got to be kidding me. I finally get my car back a week later I get in I get this.

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 10-23-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:37 PM

'23 GLS450
Got to be kidding me. I finally get my car back a week later I get in I get this.
Sorry to see your issues still continue!
As one of my golfing buddies used to say, "U-S-A (U Shoot Again)"!
Old 10-23-2023, 03:41 PM

2023 GLC 300
This car is such a POS, it’s unbelievable. Those Mercedes kool-aid drinkers must be drunk with stupidity.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
I'd fix it and dump it. Time to call Carvana and sell it to them and cut your losses. This thing is going to eat you alive the moment something out of warranty happens. Life's too short...

I'm on the hunt to replace my trusted 2014 E350 that is so basic it doesn't even have blind spot monitors, giving it my soon-to-be 16 year old son as his first car and getting something new for myself. Given my experience with the GLC a few weeks ago, and the fact that I'm now approaching the 5th week of our GLS sitting in the shop for a basic MBTex seat cover....I'm walking away from the brand in general, won't even consider a used pre-techno-crap version due to inability to get any parts within a reasonable amount of time. Actually going back to basics, and my first Ford vehicle ever with a Bronco next year when that time comes to hand over the keys to the E350. Keeping up with two MB's now, has made me want a car that I couldn't care less if it rattles, gets rained in, etc... I need a break from the overly complicated.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:42 PM

2023 GLC 300
Originally Posted by nc211
I'd fix it and dump it. Time to call Carvana and sell it to them and cut your losses. This thing is going to eat you alive the moment something out of warranty happens. Life's too short...

I'm on the hunt to replace my trusted 2014 E350 that is so basic it doesn't even have blind spot monitors, giving it my soon-to-be 16 year old son as his first car and getting something new for myself. Given my experience with the GLC a few weeks ago, and the fact that I'm now approaching the 5th week of our GLS sitting in the shop for a basic MBTex seat cover....I'm walking away from the brand in general, won't even consider a used pre-techno-crap version due to inability to get any parts within a reasonable amount of time. Actually going back to basics, and my first Ford vehicle ever with a Bronco next year when that time comes to hand over the keys to the E350. Keeping up with two MB's now, has made me want a car that I couldn't care less if it rattles, gets rained in, etc... I need a break from the overly complicated.
im in the middle of a lemon law buyback, so i cant dump it, but my lawyer says MB drags the process out as long as possible, so i have to deal with this busted POS for probably another 90-120 days
Old 10-23-2023, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 563 Posts
N/A
Nothing to worry about - a simple software update will fully fix that.
Dealer can apply it, ask them to look at topic/tech bulletin LI82.85-P-074738.
BenjaminKohl (10-25-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by Eaton
the car was just in the shop, so why didn’t they do this already? This is a perfect example of a manufacturer who has created something so overly complicated that their own team can’t seem to keep up with how to service and/or fix it correctly the first time. How many trips does it take to a Mercedes dealership does it take! I don’t know many people who have the time or patience for this type of stuff..
Old 10-23-2023, 06:50 PM

2023 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Eaton

lol simple update. This is what im talking about with the kool-aid. There is nothing simple at all about this car and MB. It was literally just in the shop from JUNE till october. I have it back one week and i have to bring it back AGAIN. And this is AFTER the supposed software fix my car was in the shop for 2-3 weeks in APRIL for.

i bought this car in APRIL. i have a 98 mile total commute 5 days a week. My car currently only has 2000 miles on it in that time, and has been at the dealership for over 5 of the 7 months since i bought it brand new

and now people are telling me just to bring it in for a “simple” fix lol. GTFO here

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 GLC will not start