GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Possible to Retrofit/Code Driver Assistance Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 05:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLC 4MATIC X254
Possible to Retrofit/Code Driver Assistance Package?

Long time lurker/first post here…

Does anyone know if it’s possible to code/retrofit the driver assistance package on a x254. It seems I have all the capabilities for this package but they are not active. Is it just a matter of coding? I’m sure the evasive maneuver assist uses the same electric motor that the parking assist uses, can it not be programmed? To make my blind spot assist to active blind spot assist, does it require a component I already don’t have? I have attached my window sticker- I was really disappointed as I didn’t think any new luxury car didn’t have these features standard. Even Lexus has it standard on the entry model. I feel like Mercedes is setting itself up to make these options digital extras you can purchase later thanks to over the air updates/MUBX.

I have three cameras in my windshield, and Mercedes you are telling me one of those can’t tell me the speed limit? I reached out to a coding guy that was referred to on here but it didn’t seem like he could code the options I wanted other than lane keep assist activate and traffic sign assist and AMG unlock etc.

Pic of my GLC purchased April 23
Old 06-04-2023, 06:57 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
have same question
The following users liked this post:
wesleyclarillos (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 347 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I don't believe so - they use different cameras and a different radar sensor in the front. It would require significant hardware change. it is unfortunate that the german brands still don't have it standard on lower end models but my guess is that their customer feedback includes people who say they don't want it standard, they don't like all the nannies.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:48 PM

2023 GLC 4MATIC X254
So I did some heavy research as I really thought this would be a software upgrade.I purchased a subscription to the WIS portal and looked at all the workshop docs. I was very disappointed to see that it is not just a software retrofit. Apparently the drivers assistance package uses different CAN/network cables that are high speed or something and there was another big factor I cant remember at the time that make it literally impossible to retrofit.

I messaged Benz ninja or someone else, cant remember who, and they where able to offer me lane keeping assist but not the active one. Would be done through remote coding.

I did find some guys in online (Malaysia?) who where able to successfully retrofit this package but it was a big project, lots of components they had to switch out, was very costly. So it is possible, but its not a software/coding retrofit, it is a hardware one that would be pretty expensive. I found the retrofit on instagram searching for "x254 coding".

Lexus has a very advanced safety connect safety package that is included on every model they sell, I think Mercedes really cheapens itself by not making these soon to be mandated safety features standard on what are very expensive vehicles. My old 2019 Lexus UX had more driver assistance features than my 2023 GLC that cost twice as much. The Lexus (drove 80,00 miles) didn't have one issues and took regular gas, and my GLC w/ 8000 miles had already had so many issues requiring warranty work (Digital Light malefaction/sensor, 48V Battery issue, Moonroof wouldn't close, USB outlet inoperative, ambient lighting doing weird electrical stuff, right lower beam out.) And requires premium fuel. First world problems I guess.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 347 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Yeah, it’s really unfortunate MB and a lot of the euro brands don’t make this standard, but the truth is unlike Lexus and other Asian brands, for the most part the euro modes have blind spot warning standard which I think is more important. And a lot of MB customers seem to actually be against all the sensors, so I think MB keeps it an optional extra so people have the choice to have it or not. It’s a lot easier to find then it used to be, you just have to know to request it/order it/try to find a car with it.

That being said, Audi and Volvo are quickly moving in the direction of making all drivers aids standard.

a note about reliability: MB definitely never claims to be a Lexus in that regard (imo the other bits make up for it) but this new gen GLC has had a particularly tough launch. A lot of new tech. Hopefully this won’t translate to long term reliability, but Is rather just early teething issues.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:05 AM

2023 GLC 4MATIC X254
Well said. Hopefully just first year teething issues. Poor GLC, it’s a beautiful car.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:25 PM
ODB

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 C55, 2005 c230k, w203 c220cdi sportcoupe '03
offtopic, how do you like digital light? worth getting pinnacle just because of it?
Old 08-15-2023, 06:08 AM

2023 GLC 4MATIC X254
Originally Posted by ODB
offtopic, how do you like digital light? worth getting pinnacle just because of it?

Honestly, I love them despite them barely utilizing their capabilities due to DOT regulations, although they have been somewhat amended to allow for some of the features, not sure exactly which ones. I saw the spotlight feature work once and the arrow for blind spot once but it never came again after an OTA update.

I feel silly for saying that it’s worth the two grand or however much extra. But they are totally worth it. They do a fancy dance when you unlock your car and have a cool curtain effect when it toggles between auto high and low beam, move while your driving, have OTA capabilities for new future features. It’s the thing I like most about my GLC 1000000% the most.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:16 AM
ODB

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2006 C55, 2005 c230k, w203 c220cdi sportcoupe '03
I see, I have seen in news that DOT actually allowed those digital lights, so maybe they will enable those features eventually. I think "regular" led headlights do not have lenses in it and light may not be as great (e.g. like halogens vs xenon projectors). it is silly, that you need to get pinnacle just to get lights, I am not sure I need head up and that "magic" noise and heat insulating film as well as other crap