GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Glc dashcam auto start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glc
Glc dashcam auto start

I'm trying to activate the dashcam which costs 200 bucks but found out that it needs to be started manually everytime you drive the car? Can it start automatically? I'm talking about US market.
The following users liked this post:
DESAL (04-23-2024)
Old 06-30-2023, 11:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glc 300
Yes, go to setting icon and it will let you start automatically. Also login to your profile and then apply this setting , then only it will start automatically. Same goes for all the other users.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sachinkv13:
Caneman88 (03-10-2024), cjc52315 (03-05-2024), thomasco (03-01-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 06:00 PM

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
S560
Didn't mean to post here my apologies
Old 03-05-2024, 07:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4matic
Originally Posted by Sachinkv13
Yes, go to setting icon and it will let you start automatically. Also login to your profile and then apply this setting , then only it will start automatically. Same goes for all the other users.
This post was hugely helpful, thank you.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 Coupe
Lightbulb

I have just received my GLC 300 Coupe (Premium Plus). It has the dashcam feature installed. There is the option to start/stop via the camera icon, or the favourites. But in spite of the manual showing a settings option to auto-start the loop recording.(F254 0026 02 - pg 552)... there is no setting on my car

The manual does state this is not available in some countries. In the UK we are actively encouraed by police etc to provide dashcam footage of incidents, so I see no reason why this feature would be disabled. As luck would have it, if there was any incident I pass by, it is likely that will be the trip where I forget to start the dashcam.

Any thoughts why this might be? Any UK owners with a vehicle where this option is available?

Old 04-23-2024, 07:42 AM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Originally Posted by PGB99
I have just received my GLC 300 Coupe (Premium Plus). It has the dashcam feature installed. There is the option to start/stop via the camera icon, or the favourites. But in spite of the manual showing a settings option to auto-start the loop recording.(F254 0026 02 - pg 552)... there is no setting on my car

The manual does state this is not available in some countries. In the UK we are actively encouraed by police etc to provide dashcam footage of incidents, so I see no reason why this feature would be disabled. As luck would have it, if there was any incident I pass by, it is likely that will be the trip where I forget to start the dashcam.

Any thoughts why this might be? Any UK owners with a vehicle where this option is available?
All controls are in dashcam icon. Dash on all the time with loop. Just need a jump drive in one of your usb ports

Old 04-23-2024, 10:53 AM

GLC 300 Coupe
Thanks for the response.
I can start the loop recording, and it works fine.
The problem is that there is no option in the settings of the Dashcam app to auto-start the loop-recording as per the manual.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the response.
I can start the loop recording, and it works fine.
The problem is that there is no option in the settings of the Dashcam app to auto-start the loop-recording as per the manual.
Welcome. When i start my car on the screen you will see a message that it's in loop and you can tell it's running by the camera icon. It should be red. The earlier version you had to turn on the camera each time you started the car. With the current version this was fixed. If you need a photo i can post tomorrow.

Attached is my manual Page 300-301 talks about dashcam. This is for my US SUV. Got it off the Internet. Maybe there is an updated version for the UK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY23 GLC SUV Owners Manual.pdf (5.61 MB, 62 views)

Last edited by DESAL; 04-23-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:22 AM

GLC 300 Coupe
Many thanks DESAL.
I will follow up with MBZ UK to see why this function is missing.

Last edited by PGB99; 04-24-2024 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-25-2024, 02:17 AM

GLC 300 Coupe
Ok, let me state where I am with this.

I contacted Mercedes Benz Customer Service, and there followed a number of back and forth.

First, they just said "I am afraid that at the moment there is no support for auto start of the Dashcam."

I went back and stated this was not good enough, and wanted to know why it was not supported and receieved a reply stating how to operate the dashcam, not answering my question.

After I demanded they answered the question that was asked, they came back with - 'Please kindly note, the auto-start of the loop recording function of the Dashcam is not available in the UK due to the UK privacy law requirements.' I knew this was BS, as I had contacted the UK Information Commissioner's Office, who are the custodians of the Information Protection rules in the UK. They confirmed that auto-starting the dashcam was perfectly leagal.

When I sent this back to the CS, they finally came back with 'We communicated with our Technical experts and they informed us that autostart for the dashcam is not possible in the UK and this will not come in the future.'

So, they are just throwing any old answers hoping I will go away.

After spending over £70k with them, and I am probably on at least my 10th MBZ car, I would have expected better.

Finally, I have asked to be put in touch with a technical support function to see why a small 'over the air' software update cannot be designed, tested and implemented.

I still have an email in my inbox asking for feedback on my suport call, that I will keep for a while.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:24 PM

Think you’re correct with a software update. Like I said the auto start is in the US version so there’s no reason why it can’t be in the UK. Or you can just move to the US and buy another car.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4matic
Originally Posted by DESAL
Think you’re correct with a software update. Like I said the auto start is in the US version so there’s no reason why it can’t be in the UK. Or you can just move to the US and buy another car.
Couldn’t one of the vendors/sponsors here simply code the vehicle to U.S. and that’ll solve the issue? Not sure what else is affected by the coding though. U.K. has mph too, so no effect on the speedometer. Maybe the road sign recognition?

Last edited by thomasco; 05-25-2024 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLB 35
Does anyone know or owns Canada Version can confirm the Dashcam can auto-start like US version? I have the options to purchase it from Connect+ but If Canada version is like UK then there's really no point to pay $300 to not have auto-start.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Puma111
Does anyone know or owns Canada Version can confirm the Dashcam can auto-start like US version? I have the options to purchase it from Connect+ but If Canada version is like UK then there's really no point to pay $300 to not have auto-start.
You might try a message to He is in Canada and might be able to get you an answer. I don’t know him. Searched Canada and found him.
petee1997
MBWorld Fanatic!
Old 06-05-2024, 06:13 AM

EQA + 250
Fellow sufferer of non automatic dash cam start

Ok, let me state where I am with this.

I contacted Mercedes Benz Customer Service, and there followed a number of back and forth.

First, they just said "I am afraid that at the moment there is no support for auto start of the Dashcam."

I went back and stated this was not good enough, and wanted to know why it was not supported and receieved a reply stating how to operate the dashcam, not answering my question.

After I demanded they answered the question that was asked, they came back with - 'Please kindly note, the auto-start of the loop recording function of the Dashcam is not available in the UK due to the UK privacy law requirements.' I knew this was BS, as I had contacted the UK Information Commissioner's Office, who are the custodians of the Information Protection rules in the UK. They confirmed that auto-starting the dashcam was perfectly leagal.

When I sent this back to the CS, they finally came back with 'We communicated with our Technical experts and they informed us that autostart for the dashcam is not possible in the UK and this will not come in the future.'

So, they are just throwing any old answers hoping I will go away.

After spending over £70k with them, and I am probably on at least my 10th MBZ car, I would have expected better.

Finally, I have asked to be put in touch with a technical support function to see why a small 'over the air' software update cannot be designed, tested and implemented.

I still have an email in my inbox asking for feedback on my suport call, that I will keep for a while.
Did you get ant further? I have the same problem and it is ludicrous that one shouldmanudally start the dash cam every time.
Old 06-05-2024, 01:16 PM

GLC 400e
I have recently "upgraded" from a GLC 350e hybrid to a 400e hybrid. I'm finding much of MBUX very clumsy to use.

It appears that Switzerland forbids the autostart of dashcam, so I would also be interested in any hack to get round this absurd limitation.

I have another dashcam related question concerning a problem I've only noticed today. I have a USB key for my music and another one for the dashcam (or so I thought). But its seems that MBUX only sees "USB" and so the dashcam app appears to write its files to either key, as it decides. I guess if I set the music usb into read-only, the dashcam app would be forced to use the dashcam USB key? I have very small usb keys which dont have a physical switch, so I'd have to accomplish this through software. Any other solutions ?
Old 06-10-2024, 07:16 AM

GLC 300 Coupe
Originally Posted by kenny1406
I have recently "upgraded" from a GLC 350e hybrid to a 400e hybrid. I'm finding much of MBUX very clumsy to use.

It appears that Switzerland forbids the autostart of dashcam, so I would also be interested in any hack to get round this absurd limitation.

I have another dashcam related question concerning a problem I've only noticed today. I have a USB key for my music and another one for the dashcam (or so I thought). But its seems that MBUX only sees "USB" and so the dashcam app appears to write its files to either key, as it decides. I guess if I set the music usb into read-only, the dashcam app would be forced to use the dashcam USB key? I have very small usb keys which dont have a physical switch, so I'd have to accomplish this through software. Any other solutions ?
Hi kenny1406,

Unfortunately, I seem to have run out of options. I am stuck with their last comment:

'We communicated with our Technical experts and they informed us that autostart for the dashcam is not possible in the UK and this will not come in the future.'

I have asked several times 'why?' but no more detail is forthcoming.
If anyone has any ideas who to escalate this further I would appreciate the info.
Old 07-10-2024, 12:58 PM

2024 GCL 300 AWD SUV
Originally Posted by Sachinkv13
This is interesting, because I just got off the phone with MB Customer Support and they said that on my 2024 GCL 300AWD, I would have to start the recording manually each time because the system is not able to autostart every time the ignition is turned on. Hmm...

Last time (on a 2021 E450) I paid the for the camera only to find out that it was manual start-up only.