GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Aftermarket Screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 GLC63
Aftermarket Screen

Does anyone has experience with one of the aftermarket screens, to replace the NTG screen?
Like this from Amazon.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-18-2021, 08:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts
16-E350Wagon*sold 17-GLC43*sold 2018 GLC43 Current
Originally Posted by Rocky04
Does anyone has experience with one of the aftermarket screens, to replace the NTG screen?
Like this from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk
Did some digging myself looking for information on this one. There seems to be a few people who have done it on the 205/253 platform with varying degrees of success. Stories range from works great to it's buggy and has to be reset frequently. I'm watching with caution mainly due to some reporting worse sound quality, even hardwired to the AUX connection. As badly as I want to do it, I keep finding myself driving with the audio off just to listen to the engine anyway. On the fence I guess. If you do pull the trigger, please report back what your findings are! I see a LOT of threads that trail off and during a lot of my searches they've dead ended due to lack of follow up. We (I) will be grateful!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot
What's the reason for a suspect replacement?
Old 02-18-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
What's the reason for a suspect replacement?
Form factor (FL sized) and CarPlay/AndroidAuto retrofit
Old 02-18-2021, 10:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot
Originally Posted by sbradleyhall
Form factor (FL sized) and CarPlay/AndroidAuto retrofit
yeah I get you. I have 3 nice aftermarket head units in my older cars(04,08,2011) for Android Auto. I got spoiled with my 2016 that had it stock. But the new head units where from a proven manufacturer, and improved the sound, and experience. Good luck, go for it.
The following users liked this post:
sbradleyhall (02-28-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 05:43 PM

2019 GLC63
I did got it and installed today.
The installation was fairly simple.
Audio quality is good / Touch Screen function works only for the Android Functions, doesn't work with the "old" function (Car Radio/Navigation).
CarPlay works, connection to the phone is wireless.
So far it's good, will see after using it for a while.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC63 AMG S Coupe
I did got it and installed today.
The installation was fairly simple.
Audio quality is good / Touch Screen function works only for the Android Functions, doesn't work with the "old" function (Car Radio/Navigation).
CarPlay works, connection to the phone is wireless.
So far it's good, will see after using it for a while.
Which unit did you get?
Old 02-26-2021, 10:11 AM

2019 GLC63
Rod Top Direct of Amazon. got delivered within three days.
The kit/screen seams to be good quality, comes with a set of tools to remove the panels.
Outer tools you need is a T20 Torques and a Phillips Screwdriver
They sent you a link to YouTube and an email with installation instruction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...ature=youtu.be

Haven't had time to play around with it much.
Still have to tweak some of the settings

Old 02-28-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
yeah I get you. I have 3 nice aftermarket head units in my older cars(04,08,2011) for Android Auto. I got spoiled with my 2016 that had it stock. But the new head units where from a proven manufacturer, and improved the sound, and experience. Good luck, go for it.
Yeah, I have Apple Car Play in my truck and the OEM integration w/ Sync 3 is actually very, very good. It really gives me heartburn to go from my truck to the GLC and have such a dated and feature lacking headunit/UI. My GLC is a 17 and the Edge we traded in on it was also a 17. Had the same Sync3 Infotainment as my truck, full LED lighting etc. The step down to the significantly more expensive GLC is something I'm still getting used to. But then I put in S+ and hit a back road and I forget about it lol

Haven't had time to play around with it much.
Still have to tweak some of the settings
Couple of questions if you don't mind:
1. Are you using Car Play or Android? (you mention both but not sure which you use daily)
2. Have you tried wired Car Play connection? Any noticeable difference between the two?
3. As for touch functionality, are you stating that with Car Play there is no touch function? I assume that means using the Command wheel to navigate Car Play?
4. When you mention tweaking settings, what specifically needs tweaking after installation?
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM

2019 GLC63
:sbradleyhall
1. Are you using Car Play or Android? (you mention both but not sure which you use daily)
- I'm using CarPlay on my daily ride.
2. Have you tried wired Car Play connection? Any noticeable difference between the two? - no I haven't used the wired connection, I didn't like the way the USB ports (cables) are routed into the center console storage. I have them tucked under the center console for now, till I come up with an idea.
3. As for touch functionality, are you stating that with Car Play there is no touch function? I assume that means using the Command wheel to navigate Car Play? - if you use the Command NTG function, like Radio/Sat-Radio.. there is no touch screen function for it. As soon as you touch the screen, it will switch to the Android system. If you use the Android system, including the CarPlay function within, the Command Wheel works with limited function.
4. When you mention tweaking settings, what specifically needs tweaking after installation? - tweaking like - Audio Volume / wenn push Navigation what system Google Map, Waze or Apple Maps should come up / Brightness of the Screen / aftermarket or OEM Backup Cameras.
I still have to figure out startup screen picture, it's shows a picture of a weird car, I would like to have eithe
r the Mercedes Star or AMG logo.
The following users liked this post:
sbradleyhall (03-01-2021)