Opinions from the Ladies please....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 07:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 Genesis G80 5.0 - 2022 AMG GLC 63 S Coupe on order
Opinions from the Ladies please....

Good day ladies,

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a new 2022 AMG GLC 63s Coupe. We are newly retired and are trying to settle into one car. We are trying to bridge my need for speed with her want of an SUV. We have agreed the 63s coupe will please us both, but after much research we have some trepidation on the vehicles everyday road manners.

So my wife said, "Why don't you ask the ladies on the MB forum for their opinion on the vehicle"?

I'm not sure how many ladies are active on this forum, but any input on the every day driving experience with a 63 from the female prospective would be appreciated. If some of you fellas have a significant other that is driving your 63 what they think and convey those thoughts, that would also be great.

Thanks to all.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A lot
Not much movement in this particular section. It seems to me the people that purchase the coupe style suv's are males, but I may be wrong. Good luck with this thread.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLC 43 AMG SUV; 2020 Audi Q8 55 Prestige; 2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
We bought the 2020 GLC43 to be my wife’s daily driver. After a few months she felt it was a bit too raucous (we have the sport exhaust - I love it) and too high strung for her daily around town duty. The 63 you are interested in is the 43 on steroids so... Since I more or less sold her on the GLC, I was fine taking it over as my DD; then we found what is apparently her dream car, the Audi Q8. Seriously she’s in love with this thing. Do yourself a favor and test drive the Q8, SQ8 or even the GLE 53 Coupe, for a more well rounded SUV experience for you and the lady.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ruderegime
Not much movement in this particular section. It seems to me the people that purchase the coupe style suv's are males, but I may be wrong. Good luck with this thread.
Well I was actually meaning to the 63 in general, as basically all the 63's are the same vehicle. Thanks
Old 04-06-2021, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bmo Pete
We bought the 2020 GLC43 to be my wife’s daily driver. After a few months she felt it was a bit too raucous (we have the sport exhaust - I love it) and too high strung for her daily around town duty. The 63 you are interested in is the 43 on steroids so... Since I more or less sold her on the GLC, I was fine taking it over as my DD; then we found what is apparently her dream car, the Audi Q8. Seriously she’s in love with this thing. Do yourself a favor and test drive the Q8, SQ8 or even the GLE 53 Coupe, for a more well rounded SUV experience for you and the lady.
I'm ok with a bit larger vehicle then the GLC, she isn't. When I showed her the RQ8, she flat out said "WAYYYYYY to big! She knows going in that I want a V8. We're trying to bridge my performance wants with her SUV wants. GLC seems to cover the bases, but our concern is really the around town driving with the MCT tranny. Is yours jerky during everyday driving? Is that what you're referring to as 'too high strung'? I see a lot of complaints about slow starts off the line in every day driving being like a bunny hop. Others say theirs is as smooth as silk. Thanks

Last edited by gserp4sox; 04-06-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by gserp4sox
I'm ok with a bit larger vehicle then the GLC, she isn't. When I showed her the RQ8, she flat out said "WAYYYYYY to big! She knows going in that I want a V8. We're trying to bridge my performance wants with her SUV wants. GLC seems to cover the bases, but our concern is really the around town driving with the MCT tranny. Is yours jerky during everyday driving? Is that what you're referring to as 'too high strung'? I see a lot of complaints about slow starts off the line in every day driving being like a bunny hop. Others say theirs is as smooth as silk. Thanks
Since we have the 43, it’s not quite as jerky, but still throttle sensitive. From a stop you will have to have a light foot or the car will jump on you, but no, it’s not jerky or even abrupt shifting at times like the MCT in the 63 can be. Give the 43 a drive, it’s very sporty, very fast. I would also try the GLC 53 AMG coupe, which didn’t drive as big as I thought it would. With the rounded/tapered hood and fenders it is not as intimidating as others in its class like the Q8. About the Q8 series, yes it does look the beast in the garage next to our GLC, but it also drives smaller than expected, partly due to the rear steering (with air suspension) and well modulated steering assist giving quick reflexes. The Q sits relatively low as well, so you don’t feel like you’re driving a truck. The transmissions are also very smooth/refined. Have you test driven an SQ8, GLE 53 or 580 (V8)?

Last edited by Bmo Pete; 04-07-2021 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I know my wife would not like the sound, power and suspension tuning of an AMG. No question, she would not like it.

Be careful of a spouse telling you she would be OK with it. Spouses are known to support their partner, sometimes to their own chagrin.

If I were in your shoes, retired and seeking to downsize to one vehicle, it wouldn't be an AMG 63 model of any type.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 GLC 63 AMG
You should look at an Audi SQ5 -- same size as the GLC, same performance as the GLC 43 but should be much smoother. The Audi will also cost far less to maintain-- 4 years of AudiCare prepaid maintenance should be around $1k which is about 1/2 the price of the AMG's maintenance plan.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4ringsnbr
You should look at an Audi SQ5 -- same size as the GLC, same performance as the GLC 43 but should be much smoother. The Audi will also cost far less to maintain-- 4 years of AudiCare prepaid maintenance should be around $1k which is about 1/2 the price of the AMG's maintenance plan.
Well if I can't come to believe the Mrs. will ultimately be happy in a 63, then we'll end up with 2 cars again, as I will get a performance vehicle of some type. Then for her it will be either an SQ5, Genesis GV70 (375HP version), the new Lexus NX that's due out later this year or possibly a Mazda CX-5 Signature.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
A CX-5 and a GLC63 are galaxies apart from each other. It would be surprising if someone who would accept a CX-5 would equally enjoy a GLC63. I wouldn't do as you suggest in the original post, to downsize to a single vehicle, that being a GLC63. It will not be happy times at home.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC 43
I own a 43, and have never driven a 63, and I will tell you that it is very mellow in Comfort and Eco modes. It drives around town like any other car. In Sport and Sport+ especially it behaves completely different, to include the "jerkiness" people refer to in my opinion. The throttle is very sensitive to the point that road imperfections seem to be transferred down your leg to the pedal if that makes sense causing the jerky reaction of the vehicle. I don't see any reason to drive around town in traffic in either one of those modes other than for fun... but then don't complain about it is my opinion.

I truly enjoy the 43 and have no complaints (other than some creeks and rattles I will address during the next service). If I want to have a little fun I change to S or S+, otherwise Comfort is my daily driving choice.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 GLC63S
Love my GLC63S COUPE

Hello,

I drive my 2021 GLC63S coupe every day in Toronto and I love it. Very happy with it. I feel like it’s super smooth and wonderful to drive all over town and up to the golf course. With the v8 I feel like I don’t drive it as crazy as I did my 43. But I know I’m an odd female. I also grew up with M3s and z06 corvettes so I like the bumpier stiffer suspension. But in comfort mode it’s very smooth. I drive it in sport plus a lot.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Regis
I own a 43, and have never driven a 63, and I will tell you that it is very mellow in Comfort and Eco modes. It drives around town like any other car. In Sport and Sport+ especially it behaves completely different, to include the "jerkiness" people refer to in my opinion. The throttle is very sensitive to the point that road imperfections seem to be transferred down your leg to the pedal if that makes sense causing the jerky reaction of the vehicle. I don't see any reason to drive around town in traffic in either one of those modes other than for fun... but then don't complain about it is my opinion.

I truly enjoy the 43 and have no complaints (other than some creeks and rattles I will address during the next service). If I want to have a little fun I change to S or S+, otherwise Comfort is my daily driving choice.
That's encouraging to hear. What year is your 43? Seems there are more 'jerkiness' complaints in the 2018 & 2019 model years.

Originally Posted by Arahsay19
Hello,

I drive my 2021 GLC63S coupe every day in Toronto and I love it. Very happy with it. I feel like it’s super smooth and wonderful to drive all over town and up to the golf course. With the v8 I feel like I don’t drive it as crazy as I did my 43. But I know I’m an odd female. I also grew up with M3s and z06 corvettes so I like the bumpier stiffer suspension. But in comfort mode it’s very smooth. I drive it in sport plus a lot.
Hope that helps.
It most certainly does help. Sport+ mode around town? That is crazy!
Old 04-07-2021, 10:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche GT3, 911 S, 2020 GLC 63 SUV

I completely agree. My 2020 GLC 63 is the same. In Comfort mode, it is like any other car (unless you mash the pedal).

My wife doesn't mind driving it. She said it's like most DD.

Last edited by tomgt3; 04-07-2021 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add info
Old 04-08-2021, 03:20 PM

GLC 43
@gserp4sox My 43 is MY 19. Without speaking for others that may have a different opinion, I feel the "jerkiness" others may be referring to only happens in S or S+ modes when the throttle is super sensitive. Even driving on roads that are bumpy or not smooth that cause the vehicle to move around or "bounce" a little that cause slight movement of my body will travel down to my foot causing movement of the pedal and it reacts instantly, due to the super sensitivity of the throttle.

That is my unscientific opinion regarding this "jerkiness" thing. I have driven around town in S/S+ and while fun, I don't know how people do it. It is louder, revs are held much longer before shifting gears, the "jerkiness" (increased sensitivity), and the unnecessary consumption of fuel... but to each their own, just my opinion.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE63s
Hey my mrs dd a glc63s suv stage 2 setup and loves it. She did come from a ml63 though. The glcs drive good you just need to get used to them
Old 04-09-2021, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by tomgt3
I completely agree. My 2020 GLC 63 is the same. In Comfort mode, it is like any other car (unless you mash the pedal).

I may have been a little unfair about our 43, as I do drive mostly in sport and sport+, but even in comfort (our '20 doesn't have eco) it's still more sensitive than most other DD's I've ever had, but not an issue for me. Honestly, in the warmer months, I'd much rather drive the old AMG convertible anyway.

I think it's safe to say, that my wife isn't as sporty as some of the 63 girls here. She tried for 6 months, but is much more happy with the tamer, more refined Q8. Plus she now has the 4 zone climate back, heated rear seats with more rear seat room for the child seat and more rear cargo for shopping and horse riding gear, so I don't have to hear those complaints anymore.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:05 PM

@gserp4sox My 43 is MY 19. Without speaking for others that may have a different opinion, I feel the "jerkiness" others may be referring to only happens in S or S+ modes when the throttle is super sensitive. Even driving on roads that are bumpy or not smooth that cause the vehicle to move around or "bounce" a little that cause slight movement of my body will travel down to my foot causing movement of the pedal and it reacts instantly, due to the super sensitivity of the throttle.

That is my unscientific opinion regarding this "jerkiness" thing. I have driven around town in S/S+ and while fun, I don't know how people do it. It is louder, revs are held much longer before shifting gears, the "jerkiness" (increased sensitivity), and the unnecessary consumption of fuel... but to each their own, just my opinion.
I think this is a fair comment. I do drive mostly in sport and sport+, and to deal with the rev holding at those times when it just won't seem to let go, I simply override by upshifting with the paddle. I do prefer loud though.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 GLC63
Originally Posted by tomgt3

Agree. My 2020 GLKC63 in C mode is super nice; it does not jerk.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:25 AM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
C43
My wife loves jumping in either of ours (GLC63S and C43) never complains about the ride and she drives everywhere sport plus for the noise 😂

Old 04-10-2021, 08:38 AM

So we decided to take @superswiss suggestion and test drive any model with a 9 speed MCT. The 2020/2021 GLC63 & 63s are impossible to find for test drives in my area, but we did go test drive a 2021 E63s. I wouldn't say it was smooth as silk or like a ZF8, but it was really pretty damn smooth. You could tell it was an MCT doing exactly what it was designed to do. Anyway, my wife was totally fine with how the tranny shifted and that plus the positive comments here have sealed the deal. We will order a 2022 GLC 63s when the order window opens in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to all for your helpful comments! Always happy to see more!

Last edited by gserp4sox; 04-10-2021 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 02:09 PM

GLC 43
So we decided to take @superswiss suggestion and test drive any model with a 9 speed MCT. The 2020/2021 GLC63 & 63s are impossible to find for test drives in my area, but we did go test drive a 2021 E63s. I wouldn't say it was smooth as silk or like a ZF8, but it was really pretty damn smooth. You could tell it was an MCT doing exactly what it was designed to do. Anyway, my wife was totally fine with how the tranny shifted and that plus the positive comments here have sealed the deal. We will order a 2022 GLC 63s when the order window opens in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to all for your helpful comments! Always happy to see more!
Good luck and enjoy your purchase!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC AMG 63s Coupe
My wife has a GLC 63s Coupe as her DD and absolutely loves it.