GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Track membership rejection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 G550
Thumbs down Track membership rejection

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I called my local track today (NJMSP in Millville NJ) to find out some information on membership to participate in track days with my wife. The guy on the phone suggested I get another car as they look down on “SUV’s” on the track.
I responded with the following email- waiting for his response…

Jarrett,
From our conversation I’m guessing that my wife’s vehicle is good enough to set a track record at Nurburgring but not enough for Millville.

For some perspective, the GLC63's time is quicker than cars like the Lamborghini Murcielago, Ferrari F430, and Mercedes' own SL65 AMG Black Series.

Thanks anyway.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 G550
here’s the reply:

Hey Matt,

I was simply trying to help point you in the right direction if you wanted to make motorsports a long term hobby for your wife, and yourself.

While I'm sure your SUV is capable of quick lap times on the Nurburgring with a professional driver at the wheel, as many other high performance SUVs are, you won't be able to learn nearly as much from driving it as you would in a low horsepower car made for use on the racetrack. SUVs tend to be much less safe due to the high center of gravity, and provide a greater danger to others on the racetrack due to the increased weight.

I have many drivers show up with high horsepower vehicles and struggle to improve their times because the stability management systems, ABS, and other onboard systems tend to correct their driving without them even knowing it.

If you would like to discuss the club in more detail, or if you have any questions about proper vehicles for driving on the racetrack, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
It may make some sense in what he is saying, however, it should be up to you.

I notice that most of the cars at a track close to us are inexpensive, Mazda's, 2,000's, Z's and the like. There are also a hand full of true race cars. I don't go out there much but I have never seen a SUV out there.
The following users liked this post:
glcfour3 (11-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 982 Posts
No more MB:(
I don't have an issue with it. SUV's don't belong on the track unless experienced drivers are behind the wheel. Do you have track experience? If so, it should be up to you.

Other cars safety I suspect is the issue here. SUV's are more susceptible to roll overs.

As for records set, this was by a professional driver, a whole different story. "Quicker than" has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,193 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
It may make some sense in what he is saying, however, it should be up to you.

I notice that most of the cars at a track close to us are inexpensive, Mazda's, 2,000's, Z's and the like. There are also a hand full of true race cars. I don't go out there much but I have never seen a SUV out there.
At my closest track, there are more cars with numbers then not, with some seriously prepped Porsches and Corvettes, a smattering of WRX's, and a lot of hoosier tires.
My 2021 AMG 53 is kind of mid-pack.
It's no more susceptible to rolling over than any other car there, or is it more or less likely to spin off the track then any other car that gets overly aggressive. But it is the first SUV that has participated.

Another nearby track has a rule that the height of the vehicle shouldn't be more than the track width, and my SUV squeaks by by an inch or two. I don't know if that rule is enforced though.

If you are not familiar with the cars handling at the limits, I think it would be better to participate in and organized HPDE (high performance driver education ) School, with a qualified instructor, before attempting some hot laps.
I prefer to do skid pad and cone work, before hitting an open track day, since it will give you a feel of the car at the limit.
You will need a currently certified helmet. If they don't require that, don't have an emergency vehicle and corner workers, that track is probably not a safe place to be. Also, if the track doesn't have that level of organization, your insurance may not cover you, should you damage something.
Maybe your local Benz club has organized HPDE track days. Check it out.

IMO a performance driver school should be a requirement for every driver before they get on the public road, with recertification annually. Everybody should know the limits of their car. But of course that's unrealistic.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:54 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by mikapen
At my closest track, there are more cars with numbers then not, with some seriously prepped Porsches and Corvettes, a smattering of WRX's, and a lot of hoosier tires.
My 2021 AMG 53 is kind of mid-pack.
It's no more susceptible to rolling over than any other car there, or is it more or less likely to spin off the track then any other car that gets overly aggressive. But it is the first SUV that has participated.

Another nearby track has a rule that the height of the vehicle shouldn't be more than the track width, and my SUV squeaks by by an inch or two. I don't know if that rule is enforced though.

If you are not familiar with the cars handling at the limits, I think it would be better to participate in and organized HPDE (high performance driver education ) School, with a qualified instructor, before attempting some hot laps.
I prefer to do skid pad and cone work, before hitting an open track day, since it will give you a feel of the car at the limit.
You will need a currently certified helmet. If they don't require that, don't have an emergency vehicle and corner workers, that track is probably not a safe place to be. Also, if the track doesn't have that level of organization, your insurance may not cover you, should you damage something.
Maybe your local Benz club has organized HPDE track days. Check it out.

IMO a performance driver school should be a requirement for every driver before they get on the public road, with recertification annually. Everybody should know the limits of their car. But of course that's unrealistic.
Oh...I have no interest what so ever in tracking my car. Straight-line performance is all I am after and have it about where I want it.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:15 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
Found the OP

The following users liked this post:
Stereolab42 (11-13-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 08:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche GT3, 911 S, 2020 GLC 63 SUV
I am a PCA instructor with 11 years of track (150-200 days) experience. MIKAPEN has some great advice you should consider. I'd add AutoX as another learning option.

99% of insurance companies will not cover your car on the track, even if your broker says they will. Get Track insurance or get it in writing.

I think your car will OK in a HPDE event until you have some experience. I've seen many Cayenne/Macan GTS/turbos.do well with new drivers. You'd be fine for maybe 10 track days if you learn quick and are in a good club that values ability development over how many people they can sign up. Instructors are usually free (In PCA) if the club has a lot of participants.

What the track told you about lower HP car was also good advice. I wish I had been given that advice. I started in a GT3 and it can be a humbling experience. Slower cars have more time to develop better habits, time to learn better cornering, and to maintain speed than you do in a high HP car.

If you are the type of person that wants to learn and are not trying to beat everyone, you shouldn't have a problem. I've seen many that thought they were, but proved to care more about being fast and wanting to pass everyone and ending up learning very little.

PCA NNJR has a good club and great tracks and if they allow you to participate in events, give them a try. Check out the requirements for HPDE, you'll love it.
https://nnjr-pca.com/driver-ed/