GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Acceleration "dead spot" - AMG GLC 43 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43 AMG coupe
Acceleration "dead spot" - AMG GLC 43 coupe

2020 AMG GLC 43 coupe here in Charlotte, NC, which I've had for about a year. My driving style with this vehicle isn't different in any relevant way versus with past vehicles. There is an acceleration dead spot which is the default occurrence when I am coasting at a low speed and then go to accelerate. Common scenarios are driving toward an intersection and rolling forward as you determine if you are clear to go and then accelerating, or slowing down to let a car in the lane next to you go by so you can then switch lanes and accelerate. I swear, I've almost gotten killed a few times when I had time to go but only if I hustled; depress the accelerator, and nothing happens for a full second. Then I go from having enough time to almost getting hit.

MB local dealer where I got the car provided no answers or solutions. Of all the damn ironies, coming back from that dealer after the most recent service appointment, I had to slow down due to a car in my lane waiting to turn left, then tried to gun it to get into the next lane over, and...nothing, just no response. That time I actually aborted the lane change before the acceleration kicked in.

It doesn't do this in any other set of circumstances, not from a dead stop, not when I accelerate quickly after coasting downward to 20 mph (for example). I wonder if anyone else has experienced this or has thoughts? Thank you!
The following 5 users liked this post by JAMNole:
2022 Amg glc 43 (11-05-2022), BigMax (07-26-2023), ivanmb (02-12-2023), piyushpardeshi (12-14-2023), Serge81 (03-12-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
I'm going to say this is normal. Any of the 43's I've driven have a lot of lag especially when trying to suddenly accelerate from a slowing roll. It feels like the transmission deciding which gear it wants, coupled with Turbo lag, then add in the normally soft pedal response. Hopefully a GLC43 owner will chime in.
The following users liked this post:
1SickGLC (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 07:36 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I'm going to say this is normal. Any of the 43's I've driven have a lot of lag especially when trying to suddenly accelerate from a slowing roll. It feels like the transmission deciding which gear it wants, coupled with Turbo lag, then add in the normally soft pedal response. Hopefully a GLC43 owner will chime in.
Thanks - and wow, that would be something. Have not experienced anything like this with past vehicles; my previous MB was not AMG but was turbo.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 MB GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by JAMNole
2020 AMG GLC 43 coupe here in Charlotte, NC, which I've had for about a year. My driving style with this vehicle isn't different in any relevant way versus with past vehicles. There is an acceleration dead spot which is the default occurrence when I am coasting at a low speed and then go to accelerate. Common scenarios are driving toward an intersection and rolling forward as you determine if you are clear to go and then accelerating, or slowing down to let a car in the lane next to you go by so you can then switch lanes and accelerate. I swear, I've almost gotten killed a few times when I had time to go but only if I hustled; depress the accelerator, and nothing happens for a full second. Then I go from having enough time to almost getting hit.

MB local dealer where I got the car provided no answers or solutions. Of all the damn ironies, coming back from that dealer after the most recent service appointment, I had to slow down due to a car in my lane waiting to turn left, then tried to gun it to get into the next lane over, and...nothing, just no response. That time I actually aborted the lane change before the acceleration kicked in.

It doesn't do this in any other set of circumstances, not from a dead stop, not when I accelerate quickly after coasting downward to 20 mph (for example). I wonder if anyone else has experienced this or has thoughts? Thank you!
Are you driving in Comfort, Eco, Sport, Sport +?? The auto start-stop function may be an issue that you deal with from a stop, but when you are slowing down for a turn and such and then giving it gas to accelerate could definitely be the transmission. Does it do it if you put it in manual and shift vs auto? You could also look to reset the transmission and see if that resolves the strange shifting issues.

Lag could be turbo lag as mentioned, or something else plugs, coils, gas, etc. How many miles and what year is your vehicle?

Give us a few more details and maybe we can point you in the right direction.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:28 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
Hi, thanks for the response and follow up questions. This occurs in all of the automated driving modes (my previous MB had "Eco", on this model they call similar set up "Slippery" - which I actually use regularly now when I drive in the mountains). I have not tried it out when in manual, good idea. I got this 2020 1 year ago with about 8K miles on it, had been dealer loaner until then, has about 15K on it now. This issue has existed the entire time I've had the vehicle...and of course I didn't notice it during test driving (or, more likely, just didn't experience the scenario which triggers it).
Old 02-26-2022, 08:42 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2019 E53 Cabrio, Lunar Blue. 2020 GLC 300
I had a BMW X5 a few years ago that had terrible turbo lag. Same things as you are describing. I hated it so much I got rid of it. My E53 is supposed to have no lag, but it does still have some and same thing happens although not as bad as yours. . Mostly from a dead stop to pull into traffic. Other cars travel pretty far, ie get closer to you, in the half second. I am going to try manual mode as well. Not same engin as you but had to chime in.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:48 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
Thanks, and sorry you experienced this. I HATE it and I swear it's going to get me into a wreck some day - you're right, that bigger picture small moment is a significant moment when other cars are coming toward you. Shame, because I like the vehicle a lot besides this issue and the baffling fact that there are only summer tires made for this car. We never stop learning - now I know that next time around I have to test for this issue and confirm the damn car can run all-season tires. ("Hey MB dealer, I'm getting rid of the Maserati coupe because I'll be driving in snow up on a mountain...wait, this GLC43 only has summer tires available? Really, like literally nothing else exists? Well, no thanks, I need a different car.")
Old 02-26-2022, 09:36 AM

Thanks, and sorry you experienced this. I HATE it and I swear it's going to get me into a wreck some day - you're right, that bigger picture small moment is a significant moment when other cars are coming toward you. Shame, because I like the vehicle a lot besides this issue and the baffling fact that there are only summer tires made for this car. We never stop learning - now I know that next time around I have to test for this issue and confirm the damn car can run all-season tires. ("Hey MB dealer, I'm getting rid of the Maserati coupe because I'll be driving in snow up on a mountain...wait, this GLC43 only has summer tires available? Really, like literally nothing else exists? Well, no thanks, I need a different car.")
Weird summer only? My wife has GLC 300 with AMG package. Great AMG wheels. Has all seasons on it. Maybe just have to alter your size a bit. Did you post that problem on the forum?
Old 02-26-2022, 09:56 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
Thanks, interesting, maybe difference in AMG package vs. AMG itself, or the model year? Every tire shop and MB itself confirmed that the size tires I need do not come in anything but summer. I spent tons of time trying to figure it out, refused to accept, seemed almost impossible. The front and rear are different sizes, and one of them doesn't have all season available, so it was either go with the "summer tires" which are closest to all-season or go with Tire X on the front and Tire Y on the back instead of Tire Y (but different sizes of Tire Y) on both front and back. Yes, I did post in this forum about that issue as well.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:48 PM

Would mind posting your front and rear tire sizes?
Old 02-26-2022, 12:55 PM

255/45/30 and 285/40/20 this is our size. 2020

Front

Old 02-26-2022, 05:32 PM

GLC43 AMG coupe
Don't want to "get in trouble" for taking the acceleration dead spot thread in the direction of tires (?). Let me post that info. over on the other thread, try to link it here, but can click my username also (ignore my lovely transposition on "AGM" lol). https://mbworld.org/forums/new-membe...existence.html
Old 03-01-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by shekmark
255/45/30 and 285/40/20 this is our size. 2020
Front
You mean 255/45/20, not 30. And yes, I agree - I can't find ANY all-weather tires for both sizes either, and I have the exact same car as you. It's absolutely maddening, and I wouldn't have bought it had I known. The Goodyear run-flats are harsh AF, and the ride sucks on them. I would really love it if someone managed to find "close enough" all-weather tires so I can go out and buy the same ones. I'll take anything at this point!

Also, I get the acceleration lag as well, which is baffling in a car this expensive build by the exacting Germans. I've just learned to expect it.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:51 PM

GLC43 AMG coupe
I may have typo'd, sorry. Yep, we're experiencing and feeling the same things, I also still remain in disbelief, but also living with it (at least for a while longer).... Keeping my eyes on what Porsche and MB in particular with similar sized vehicles these next few years, eventually I will explore electric or hybrid. Wish freakin' Porsche didn't want $5K cost increase for every additional feature you might want.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
Wish freakin' Porsche didn't want $5K cost increase for every additional feature you might want.
This is the exact reason I didn't go with the Porsche. I liked the ride more than any other car I drove, but the price goes from reasonable to 'holy crap' real quick. Plus I hated having to go through 475 choices just to build the damn thing!
CCdriver (09-28-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 03:31 PM

GLC43 AMG coupe
lol, exactly

"Wait, you wanted FOUR WHEELS? That's an extra $9,000; now please choose between the 14 styles and 19 colors."
CCdriver (09-28-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC43, 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
I get the same problem in comfort mode in my 2017.

On the other hand, Sport and Sport+ tend to be snappier -- but I read elsewhere Sport and Sport+ have become milder in the recent update.

What I find interesting is if I lean in at half throttle, the engine seems to respond better than if I lean in at full throttle. Full throttle really gives me a 1 sec wait which is scary. Seems odd and I'm guessing the transmission and software are to blame.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:48 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
Thanks for sharing that. I've also tried to not "floor it" in that situation, can't decide whether it truly helps or not.

I also have another scenario which is related. There is a mountain switchback I frequently drive; you're basically making a right turn that is at about a 30 degree angle at an incline, and you come near a complete stop before doing so. My AMG GLC 43 acts as if it's thinking long and hard if it can do it - or wants to do it. It just sits there, barely moving. At that moment it feels like I'm driving the car shown in the attached photo. I've not observed any other vehicles with this problem, and my wife's vehicles have no trouble.

I like my car overall, but at these moments it's more like The Little Train that Maybe Could or Maybe Could Not do it.

piyushpardeshi (12-14-2023)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
a
Hopped on here, been a long time, to post about this precise issue... and its literally the first thread I came across.

I have the same problem in a 2021 amg glc 63. I agree, its going to get me in an accident. Its insanely frustrating and frankly pretty damn dangerous. Happens in any and all modes. At any and all times. Wether after a cold start or after hours of driving. And its not just in a rolling start sort of scenario. Can heavily hesitate for a second when giving gas on the highway.

Without a doubt seems like a software issue. Yes I agree its almost a turbo lag, poor throttle response AND transmission hesitation all in one. Considering how unlikely that is, it just simply feels like the computer takes 1 second to register the throttle has been depressed. Then all the systems start to make their decision. Really just feels like terrible throttle response due to software.
The following 3 users liked this post by sean7a:
E55Greasemonkey (03-24-2022), eagl3 (04-09-2024), piyushpardeshi (12-14-2023)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:50 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
We humans are funny creatures, we feel "better" for some reason when others have the same problems we do. lol
Sorry to hear you are dealing with this as well, even on a 63 model - just not acceptable.
I had this happen yesterday when making a challenging left turn onto an always-busy road...made sure I was completely stopped (break lock status) so when I accelerated I would not have the lag, that part went fine. However, had to lay off the acceleration just for a moment as I made it halfway across to let a single car fully clear - and then, while coasting at probably 20 mph and going into the left turn motion, hit the accelerator again and DEAD SPOT. It was definitely an "oh ****aki! moment.

I had a Maserati for a brief moment in between my two Mercedes. Interested to see how this new crossover Mas. will be coming out with compares to our mutual current vehicle. Looks similar to the Macan in some ways but a nicer front end, and appears that the interior may have a very badly needed upgrade compared to most past Maseratis.

All I know for sure is that I'll test drive the heck out of the next candidate, and it damn sure won't have an acceleration dead spot.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC43
Same acceleration dead spot here, 2019 GLC43. All modes from a slow roll seems steering input might make it worse. Described it to the dealer and they of course could not replicate it but did install a transmission update at my last oil change ~2 months ago. This is did not make a noticeable improvement. Need to try manual and then the adaptive transmission reset as suggested.
E55Greasemonkey (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
GLC 63s coupe here, have not had the issue so far but I know that the dealer wants to update the cars various wares and worry about that having an impact on the cars current drivability. Mine is on older 2018 model and currently has a trans overheating issue based on a rock puncturing the trans cooler, newer models have the front mesh to help reduce this reoccurring issue. When it goes in for repair, I know they will want to update the car, which may cause the acceleration issue many are having.

Fingers crossed I don’t have the same issue but I may!!

Last edited by Bloom_Phaze; 03-24-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:20 AM

GLC43 AMG coupe
@Bloom_Phaze Glad you don't have the issue, hope you won't, but you know where to ***** about it if you do.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:26 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
.................................................. ................
Old 03-24-2022, 04:27 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by sean7a
Hopped on here, been a long time, to post about this precise issue... and its literally the first thread I came across.

I have the same problem in a 2021 amg glc 63. I agree, its going to get me in an accident. Its insanely frustrating and frankly pretty damn dangerous. Happens in any and all modes. At any and all times. Wether after a cold start or after hours of driving. And its not just in a rolling start sort of scenario. Can heavily hesitate for a second when giving gas on the highway.

Without a doubt seems like a software issue. Yes I agree its almost a turbo lag, poor throttle response AND transmission hesitation all in one. Considering how unlikely that is, it just simply feels like the computer takes 1 second to register the throttle has been depressed. Then all the systems start to make their decision. Really just feels like terrible throttle response due to software.
You sure shouldn't see this on a 63. Mine is a bullet when I punch it in this situation but then again, I am tuned. Do me a favor and turn off traction control and try it again. You probably know how but if you don't, hold down the traction control button for several seconds until you see traction control off on the dash. If you don't hold it down, it just puts it in sport mode.

Mine spins the wheels so bad that it is hard to drive with traction control on but when it is off, I know how to feather it for perfect launches

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acceleration "dead spot" - AMG GLC 43 coupe