GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Mercedes has lost me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 06:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LX570
Mercedes has lost me

I have owned a lot of cars but i must say the two Mercedes vehicles we bought two years ago have been nothing but trouble. It seems like every time we get in our GLC 43 AMG or GLE 580 something doesn’t work right. Today my wife got in the AMG and all the profiles were gone. All settings reset to default. This has to be the 3rd or 4th time this has happened. We got stranded in our GLE 580 a week after buying it. I was sitting in the car waiting for the wife to do some shopping. She gets back and the car won’t start. Turns out we needed to get out of the car, lock the doors, wait 1 minute, disarm, and then it started. Our profiles have also been reset a few times. Plus it just randomly loses settings for the auto seat adjustment.

How long have Mercedes been building cars? Embarrassing.
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (05-07-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,004 Likes on 768 Posts
G550
IMO, all car manufacturers are racing way too fast toward self-driving technology and EV technology while struggling to comply with rapidly changing (and unreasonable) EPA and NHTSA regulations. Some are executing better than others, and MB is at the bottom of the others pile. I fortunately haven't experienced chronic failures as you describe, and I don't plan on another new car purchase for a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by streborx:
OldManAndHisCar (05-07-2024), radride (05-08-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,918 Likes on 2,619 Posts
2019 C63CS
Software is becoming the Achilles heel of the modern car. They are releasing cars these days before they are fully baked, banking on OTA updates to fix the software issues and glitches that didn't get sorted out during development. I've commented on this before. OTA updates tends to make developers lazy, because they think they can just fix it later. Every loaner I've had over the last 2 years has been a glitchy, buggy mess. I have no plans to buy another new Mercedes anytime soon. I've always viewed the loaner fleet as a way to sample the next generation of cars, and they've put me off for now.

My own 2019 C63S coupe has been fairly solid, but it's a 7 or 8 years old platform now. All the issues have essentially been sorted out. It's never been a good idea to buy the first or second model year of a new car. Personally, I've always waited for the facelift. I've never bought a pre-facelift car. Even so it has developed a weird bug since the last service. The instrument cluster has suddenly started to lose some of its settings. Could be a sign of the battery or aux battery going bad since it's been 5 years, so have to get it checked out. All cars have some issues, so did mine, but they were addressed during the warranty, and I never had issues like the car wouldn't start or anything else the left me stranded.

In general, I'm not keen on where the car industry is heading at the moment. Luckily, I don't actually need a car. I drive very little as it is and I've managed to keep the mileage low as a result. My car is mostly a toy and I'm not done playing with this one.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-06-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:25 AM

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by superswiss
Software is becoming the Achilles heel of the modern car. They are releasing cars these days before they are fully baked, banking on OTA updates to fix the software issues and glitches that didn't get sorted out during development. I've commented on this before. OTA updates tends to make developers lazy, because they think they can just fix it later. Every loaner I've had over the last 2 years has been a glitchy, buggy mess. I have no plans to buy another new Mercedes anytime soon. I've always viewed the loaner fleet as a way to sample the next generation of cars, and they've put me off for now.

My own 2019 C63S coupe has been fairly solid, but it's a 7 or 8 years old platform now. All the issues have essentially been sorted out. It's never been a good idea to buy the first or second model year of a new car. Personally, I've always waited for the facelift. I've never bought a pre-facelift car. Even so it has developed a weird bug since the last service. The instrument cluster has suddenly started to lose some of its settings. Could be a sign of the battery or aux battery going bad since it's been 5 years, so have to get it checked out. All cars have some issues, so did mine, but they were addressed during the warranty, and I never had issues like the car wouldn't start or anything else the left me stranded.

In general, I'm not keen on where the car industry is heading at the moment. Luckily, I don't actually need a car. I drive very little as it is and I've managed to keep the mileage low as a result. My car is mostly a toy and I'm not done playing with this one.
Change your batteries. When you do drive make it longer than 45-60 minutes.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,641 Likes on 2,245 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I am surprised you have issues with the 43 OP, other than the newest W206 C 43 having first model year type issues, the 205/253 43 are generally reliable. For the profiles being gone (or simply not keeping in memory) I wonder if there was a software update that fixes it.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:06 AM

Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
I currently own five MB cars....that said, a friend of mine got a GLC43 for his wife. It is never not in the shop. It is on its third engine (yes, three!) and she does not at all drive that car hard (maybe that is why?).

I get the battery thing as our GLS does go "low voltage" as my other half drives it from home to her office .75mi away and back....seldom does that car get any "real" time driving to charge things up.

But, that GLC my buddy has, yeah, one thing after another after another after another. They recently purchased a Huyandai (spelling?) for her daily driver - now THAT is a slap to the MB face.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
I currently own five MB cars....that said, a friend of mine got a GLC43 for his wife. It is never not in the shop. It is on its third engine (yes, three!) and she does not at all drive that car hard (maybe that is why?).

I get the battery thing as our GLS does go "low voltage" as my other half drives it from home to her office .75mi away and back....seldom does that car get any "real" time driving to charge things up.

But, that GLC my buddy has, yeah, one thing after another after another after another. They recently purchased a Huyandai (spelling?) for her daily driver - now THAT is a slap to the MB face.
It is the new one right, the X254? Are you talking about this? https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ispreloading=1
M276 in the X253 is meant to be a very rock solid engine in MB's lineup so I was surprised to hear that.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
GLC AMG 63
Knock on wood my wife’s AMG GLC 63 had a coil problem year one, and she loves the car. I have a 3 visit rule in the first year sell the car …….car is a 2018 I guess it heard the threat it’s been problem free and my wife loves it. My G63 AMG 2021 has been flawless , and I’m happy it has the old tech because it works. I agree with the other poster these manufacturers are adding to my junk to the cars in my view not needed. Honestly just give me AC/Heat and a good radio the rest of the stuff I don’t even use.

By the way it’s just not Mercedes, my buddies new 992 GTS in the shop 2 months and they can’t figure it out. I own a 2019 Speedster the last of the analog dash boards no crazy electronic screens. Told my Porsche dealer this is my last Porsche you have all the tech that doesn’t work. I like to drive and not play with screens, and not a fan of the car industry now very boring.
Nixin (05-14-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLC 43 AMG and 2024 GLE 53 AMG
I have a 2024 GLC 43 and it’s been in the shop for 2.5 weeks. I only had it for about 2 weeks that I actually drove it. Dealership doesn’t know what the issue is. They are talking with Mercedes in Germany. I feel like I shouldn’t have purchased the GLC.
OldManAndHisCar (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Knock on wood my wife’s AMG GLC 63 had a coil problem year one, and she loves the car. I have a 3 visit rule in the first year sell the car …….car is a 2018 I guess it heard the threat it’s been problem free and my wife loves it. My G63 AMG 2021 has been flawless , and I’m happy it has the old tech because it works. I agree with the other poster these manufacturers are adding to my junk to the cars in my view not needed. Honestly just give me AC/Heat and a good radio the rest of the stuff I don’t even use.

By the way it’s just not Mercedes, my buddies new 992 GTS in the shop 2 months and they can’t figure it out. I own a 2019 Speedster the last of the analog dash boards no crazy electronic screens. Told my Porsche dealer this is my last Porsche you have all the tech that doesn’t work. I like to drive and not play with screens, and not a fan of the car industry now very boring.
Well Taycan also have its own share of problems. In summary, every car manufacturers all have their own share of issues for some of their product lines, they aren't at all perfect.

Toyota as other forum members stated has many recalls lately and that is despite of their reputation of reliability.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
2019 is the last year MB produced reliable cars. The 48v system has been a real issue.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,004 Likes on 768 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by BlownV8
2019 is the last year MB produced reliable cars. The 48v system has been a real issue.
These mild hybrid problems aren't unique to MB. The battery units and ISGs are sourced from suppliers such as Bosch, and occur in every car brand that uses them. One major problem is that dealers have not been trained to keep the 48 volt batteries maintained while in inventory, and cars are delivered to buyers with compromised systems. My major objection however is that these mild hybrid systems are propulsion assist mechanisms, not essential components. Yet malfunctioning cripples the vehicle in accordance with the demands of those swell folks at the EPA. Hopefully the reliability issues will eventually be resolved, but I plan to avoid ever owning a mild hybrid vehicle.
BlownV8 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by streborx
These mild hybrid problems aren't unique to MB. The battery units and ISGs are sourced from suppliers such as Bosch, and occur in every car brand that uses them. One major problem is that dealers have not been trained to keep the 48 volt batteries maintained while in inventory, and cars are delivered to buyers with compromised systems. My major objection however is that these mild hybrid systems are propulsion assist mechanisms, not essential components. Yet malfunctioning cripples the vehicle in accordance with the demands of those swell folks at the EPA. Hopefully the reliability issues will eventually be resolved, but I plan to avoid ever owning a mild hybrid vehicle.
I entertained that idea too but it is getting increasingly rare to be able to buy a new vehicle that doesn't have this system from many car brands let alone the 3 Germans.

That said, at least with Mercedes if you get their V8 and not the E-Performance new vehicles, you still get vehicles that are not mild hybrid.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by Musclebound
I have a 2024 GLC 43 and it’s been in the shop for 2.5 weeks. I only had it for about 2 weeks that I actually drove it. Dealership doesn’t know what the issue is. They are talking with Mercedes in Germany. I feel like I shouldn’t have purchased the GLC.
Any resolution? Supposed to be picking up my 2024 AMG GLC 43 this week. I’ve been reading about a few issues on these. Quite alarming given that there isn’t much info out there for the MY24. I’m coming from BMWs that have been rock solid with exceptional service department. Only reason I’m getting out of my current car (X3MC) is ride quality. I don’t want to step into a POS though.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Jmweez
Any resolution? Supposed to be picking up my 2024 AMG GLC 43 this week. I’ve been reading about a few issues on these. Quite alarming given that there isn’t much info out there for the MY24. I’m coming from BMWs that have been rock solid with exceptional service department. Only reason I’m getting out of my current car (X3MC) is ride quality. I don’t want to step into a POS though.
Sorry that I am not able to answer your question but I am curious because the X3 40i competes with the GLC 43, while the X3 MC competes with the GLC 63 S. If the X3 MC is too harsh maybe the 40i would had been better or perhaps you could get smaller wheels and getting rid of run-flats (although didn't X3 MC came with non run-flats as standard?). The X3 MC is otherwise a phenomenal vehicle.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sorry that I am not able to answer your question but I am curious because the X3 40i competes with the GLC 43, while the X3 MC competes with the GLC 63 S. If the X3 MC is too harsh maybe the 40i would had been better or perhaps you could get smaller wheels and getting rid of run-flats (although didn't X3 MC came with non run-flats as standard?). The X3 MC is otherwise a phenomenal vehicle.
i had an M40i before the M, but just really wanted the M. The 40i is more balanced and I love both cars, just time for something different after 2 X3s in a row. Bit bored of the design now. Full on Ms don’t have run flats. Another reason to get rid of it is now that the maintenance plan is up it’s going to get expensive. Oil changes every 8k, tires ever 12-20k, plugs every 20k, etc etc. This thing is a beast, but it consumes all the consumables lol.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Jmweez
i had an M40i before the M, but just really wanted the M. The 40i is more balanced and I love both cars, just time for something different after 2 X3s in a row. Bit bored of the design now. Full on Ms don’t have run flats. Another reason to get rid of it is now that the maintenance plan is up it’s going to get expensive. Oil changes every 8k, tires ever 12-20k, plugs every 20k, etc etc. This thing is a beast, but it consumes all the consumables lol.
Fair enough, if you are worried about the X254 GLC 43, you could consider Italian, Alfa stelvio quadrifoglio or the Maserati Grecale but I understand some don't like FCA products.

Here is another forum member with a X254 GLC 43 experiencing problems: https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...w-worried.html