Notices

2020 V167 GLE

 
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 PM
  #1026  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 591
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

TPMS stands for Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor, so yes, there are sensors in the wheels which are god for 5 - 7 years before the batteries die. When low pressure in a wheel is detected you get a warning. My wife had a severe puncture last Summer going over Mt. Hood and was able to pull over and save the tire. Resetting is via the menu system.
Thanks Greg...By far the best method. It will also detect a slow leak if it shows each wheel like my truck. I dodged an tissue by noticing one tire 3 lbs low just before leaving on a long trip. A bail or screw will leak slow at first and then wallow out and start leaking worse.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:23 AM
  #1027  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
I updated my interior photos on the other thread because I changed my order to the designo® high-gloss brown flowing lines linden interior trim. I think it looks better with the Espresso Brown leather. The Konfigurator is very helpful. I just wish we could order those 22" wheels. They may be planning to offer those wheels with the AMG 53/63.


.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM
  #1028  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Interior trim

Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
I updated my interior photos on the other thread because I changed my order to the designo® high-gloss brown flowing lines linden interior trim. I think it looks better with the Espresso Brown leather.
Did you note that the price in Germany (w/o VAT) is 995 euros? That compares to 450 euros for the Metal Weave trim. If we apply the US pricing factor for the metal (600/450=1.33) to that it will run about US$1,325! Expensive trim! Of course the Brown Walnut is 420 euros in Germany, and only $160 in the US, so I'm not sure we can be sure of that extrapolation.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:56 AM
  #1029  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 591
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
I updated my interior photos on the other thread because I changed my order to the designo® high-gloss brown flowing lines linden interior trim. I think it looks better with the Espresso Brown leather. The Konfigurator is very helpful. I just wish we could order those 22" wheels. They may be planning to offer those wheels with the AMG 53/63.
.
Another option is to go Aftermarket wheels. I always buy winter tires and switch back an forth with the All Seasons. Buy a 2nd set of wheels and then if I like them better than stock use the stock in winter. For the price of tires you can probably sell the OEM tires and wheels and replace them both if you want to run 22's and still be able to rotate them. Here's one site with a ton of wheels from a $7000 set of Vossen's to lots of choices in the $2000+- range. My tire guy tells me that the factory tires will work fine with 8 1/2 as well as 9. Bolt pattern 5X112...Factory offset is 57 so I would stay around 50+ with 9's, maybe 45 with 8 1/2. 1/4" is 6.35mm. It takes some work to sort out the right spec's but there are lots of options.
https://www.getyourwheels.com/wheels...hoCC2kQAvD_BwE
you may have to copy and past this doen't look like it's coming as a URL.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM
  #1030  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Did you note that the price in Germany (w/o VAT) is 995 euros? That compares to 450 euros for the Metal Weave trim. If we apply the US pricing factor for the metal (600/450=1.33) to that it will run about US$1,325! Expensive trim! Of course the Brown Walnut is 420 euros in Germany, and only $160 in the US, so I'm not sure we can be sure of that extrapolation.
I called the dealer about it and it's still TBD. At $8,100 for E-ABC, what's another grand. I'd buy an AMG 53 with those beautiful 22" wheels if I could but this will do for now. I can always trade it on an AMG 53 next year. ;-)


.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 02:08 PM
  #1031  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Wheels

Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
Another option is to go Aftermarket wheels. I always buy winter tires and switch back an forth with the All Seasons. Buy a 2nd set of wheels and then if I like them better than stock use the stock in winter. For the price of tires you can probably sell the OEM tires and wheels and replace them both if you want to run 22's and still be able to rotate them. Here's one site with a ton of wheels from a $7000 set of Vossen's to lots of choices in the $2000+- range. My tire guy tells me that the factory tires will work fine with 8 1/2 as well as 9. Bolt pattern 5X112...Factory offset is 57 so I would stay around 50+ with 9's, maybe 45 with 8 1/2. 1/4" is 6.35mm. It takes some work to sort out the right spec's but there are lots of options.
https://www.getyourwheels.com/wheels/wheel-brand-86_vossen-wheels/wheel-size-all/wheel-bolt-pattern-all/vehicle-all?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOcykr_Wce6PDNCWAe aEGZqAOZAceqPGq6wbYUXsUxL6jJnECrDXh0IhoCC2kQAvD_Bw E&gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOcykr_Wce6PDNCWAeaE GZqAOZAceqPGq6wbYUXsUxL6jJnECrDXh0IhoCC2kQAvD_BwE
My '12 ML with Handling Package came with 20x9s et. 57 (265/45) and I bought 19" take-offs for Winters. I'm going to sell the car with the 19s and keep the 20s for my new Winters. If you check out the wheel specs on p. 29 of the DOG, you will see that the rear offset is typically about 1/2" less on this car: 55.5/42, 54/49, 57/44, 54/49. I don't think it it too critical if you're close. I think the AMGs w/ 275F & 315R are going to look mean! To me wheel quality is very important - I will not put on a wheel that is not at least OEM quality, which is pretty high. On my M4 I will only use forged monoblock wheels. I've never bent one of those.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-14-2018 at 03:33 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 PM
  #1032  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 591
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
My '12 ML with Handling Package came with 20x9s et. 57 (265/45) and I bought 19" take-offs for Winters. I'm going to sell the car with the 19s and keep the 20s for my new Winters. If you check out the wheel specs on p. 29 of the DOG, you will see that the rear offset is typically about 1/2" less on this car: 55.5/42, 54/49, 57/44, 54/49. I don't think it it too critical if you're close. I think the AMGs w/ 275F & 315R are going to look mean! To me wheel quality is very important - I will not put on a wheel that is not at least OEM quality, which is pretty high. On my M4 I will only use forged monoblock wheels. I've never bent one of those.
I don’t disagree with anything you said but I have a friend that bent a Mercedes wheel on this 2017 C class car last year. All he did was hit a small pot hole with sharp edges on 20” wheels. Bent one, blew 2 tires. From the looks in pictures the Factory GLE wheels appear to all be Cast. Most Vossen Wheels are forged, hence the big price. Flow Cast in the $500 range wouldn’t bother me in the least but like everything it’s what you feel comfortable with.
There are more things to consider than I mentioned when buying aftermarket like getting the right weight rating, Seller & Brand. I have bought at least 12 sets over the years without an issue. Several have been for my truck that carried weight and often towed up to 10,000 lbs of Travel Trailer or Boat.

I like the AMG 21’s that are an option on the GLE 450 but they lost me when I saw that the front wheels are 10” and rears are 11”. Tire sizes are different but that makes the diameter about the same. Offset varies also to account for the different widths to keep Tire centerline about the same. Until I have mine to examine tolerances I won’t buy anything. Brakes, Calipers & internal clearance to frame and other parts clearance is probably OK but..... Also, I don’t know how you effectively Rotate those 10-11” wheels unless you want the 11’s on front. The most effective method of rotating is the crossing pattern method that places each tire in a different location through 4 rotations. That would normally be done at 6000 miles so in 24,000 it would complete one rotation cycle. Many do a front to back & that is the second most effective. Switching side to side is better than nothing but not much. That’s my humble opinion!
Ron.s is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:09 PM
  #1033  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Tire sizes & rotation

Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
I like the AMG 21’s that are an option on the GLE 450 but they lost me when I saw that the front wheels are 10” and rears are 11”. Also, I don’t know how you effectively rotate those 10-11” wheels unless you want the 11’s on front. The most effective method of rotating is the crossing pattern method that places each tire in a different location through 4 rotations. That would normally be done at 6000 miles so in 24,000 it would complete one rotation cycle. Many do a front to back & that is the second most effective. Switching side to side is better than nothing but not much. That’s my humble opinion!
My last three BMW Ms have had different front/rear tire sizes and it's not big deal. On a rear drive vehicle you just need to replace the rears more often than fronts. With all wheel drive and alignment in tune rotation should not really be necessary.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 PM
  #1034  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 591
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
My last three BMW Ms have had different front/rear tire sizes and it's not big deal. On a rear drive vehicle you just need to replace the rears more often than fronts. With all wheel drive and alignment in tune rotation should not really be necessary.
Let me think....smaller front tire; more weight in front; scrub cornering...what could possibly cause the rears to wear faster�� I like it! Now my smiley face emollient doesn’t work.

Last edited by Ron.s; 11-14-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM
  #1035  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Tire wear and rotation

Originally Posted by Ron.s View Post
Let me think....smaller front tire; more weight in front; scrub cornering...what could possibly cause the rears to wear faster�� I like it! Now my smiley face emollient doesn’t work.
I should have said on "a performance rear wheel drive vehicle." 444 hp and no understeer on my M4. Rears wear twice as fast as fronts. Now on the GLE, torque split is normally 50F/50R but can vary. Not going to be doing burnouts in the 450. Fronts will get steering wear. All in all, wear will be more even and not require much in the way of rotation, though that is good if possible.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 PM
  #1036  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Sport exhaust

I noticed the AMG Line Exterior package includes a “functional sport exhaust.” Anyone seen anything more on that?
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 AM
  #1037  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
--
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Joe, Congrats - now the waiting! I made a few updates to the sheet later (see post #986). I could be wrong, but I believe the 20" AMG wheels are included in the DG1 AMG Line Exterior Package, and only the 21s are an upgrade. That's the way it is on the German configurator.
hey guys, the third row seating, is that an option available out the gate or does that come as standard, or later?
bonboon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:30 AM
  #1038  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Originally Posted by E3470 View Post
hey guys, the third row seating, is that an option available out the gate or does that come as standard, or later?
The third row option is available at launch.


.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 AM
  #1039  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
--
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post

The third row option is available at launch.


.
so if you order that option are there any compromises? For example does spare go from full size to temp?
bonboon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 AM
  #1040  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Originally Posted by E3470 View Post
so if you order that option are there any compromises? For example does spare go from full size to temp?
No spare tire if you select the 3rd Row, the DOG says:




.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 AM
  #1041  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
In the DG1 package, does anyone know what this is?

Functional sport exhaust (only for GLE 450 4MATIC)


.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 AM
  #1042  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
3rd row changes

Originally Posted by E3470 View Post
so if you order that option are there any compromises? For example does spare go from full size to temp?
Not only do you not get a spare (standard one is space saver) but you get lovely run flats and an inflator with sealant goop. On the plus side you do get power 2nd row seats.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM
  #1043  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 529
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
--
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

Not only do you not get a spare (standard one is space saver) but you get lovely run flats and an inflator with sealant goop. On the plus side you do get power 2nd row seats.
got it, thanks greg and joe
bonboon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 10:57 AM
  #1044  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Options we don't get

Reviewing the German "Configurator," here are some options available on the 450 in Germany, we don't get, at least for now:
  • Off-Road Engineering package (low range, etc.)
  • AMG 22" 5 twin-spoke wheels
  • Active Parking Assist (self-parking)
  • Electrically folding trailer hitch
  • Trailer backing assistant
  • Locking load compartment cover
  • Smoker package
  • Magic Vision Control (special wipers)
  • Traffic Assistant (warnings for Euro bans & limits)
  • Digital car key prep (for smartphone)
  • TV tuner
  • Badge delete
  • Auxiliary heater
  • Electrically adjustable 2nd row seats w/o 3rd row
Things the US gets that Germany doesn't:
  • Roof spoiler
  • Door handle protectors
  • Illuminated star
  • Receiver-style trailer hitch
  • Neutered headlights (US regs. limit adaptive features)
Overall, many more standard features in US.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-18-2018 at 09:41 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 AM
  #1045  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Greg, we do get Soft close doors (883) which I thought was the same as their Servo-closing doors.

Two options I would love to add to my order if they would offer them:
  • AMG 22" 5 twin-spoke wheels
  • Magic Vision Control (have these on my GLS, love them)
I never understood M.B. logic in offering some options in specific markets only.
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:12 AM
  #1046  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
Greg, we do get Soft close doors (883) which I thought was the same as their Servo-closing doors.

Two options I would love to add to my order if they would offer them:
  • AMG 22" 5 twin-spoke wheels
  • Magic Vision Control (have these on my GLS, love them)
I never understood M.B. logic in offering some options in specific markets only.
You're right - missed that. Edited. The digital car key would be another nice one. I suspect some of these options will open up in the future.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM
  #1047  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Greg, I posted this above but in the DG1 package, do you know what this is?

Functional sport exhaust (only for GLE 450 4MATIC)
JoeMa is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:20 AM
  #1048  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,462
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Sport exhaust

Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
Greg, I posted this above but in the DG1 package, do you know what this is?

Functional sport exhaust (only for GLE 450 4MATIC)
I beat you to that question by 9 hours (post #1036).
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 AM
  #1049  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Philly
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
TBD
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
In the DG1 package, does anyone know what this is?

Functional sport exhaust (only for GLE 450 4MATIC)


.
I've noticed that too. I'm hoping it deletes the faux exhaust outlets. I need to go back and re-watch the TFL video and see if anything jumps out.

buddy0329 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 AM
  #1050  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,621
Liked 102 Times in 80 Posts
19 BMW X7 xDrive 50i
Originally Posted by buddy0329 View Post
I've noticed that too. I'm hoping it deletes the faux exhaust outlets. I need to go back and re-watch the TFL video and see if anything jumps out.
One would logically think that is what it means but the display model in Paris was a loaded 450 and the tips were fake.
JoeMa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: