GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,167 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Espresso Brown / Magma Grey

Originally Posted by JoeMa
It looks great in our GLS so I would expect the shade to be the same. But I understand your question, I feel the pics make it look a little brighter than it looks in real life.
I noticed on the German Configurator that the pics of the Espresso Brown/Magna Grey leather show it smooth while the MB-Tex version is perforated - think they got those backwards!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TBD
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Avoid E-ABC and Burmeister 3D and you can easily keep it under that, but yes, you could get a 450 up to near $100k if you tried. Just for grins I tried for near maximum spec on my spreadsheet, taking some educated guesses on things not priced yet. See attached.
What is the use case for E-ABC? Since the pkg includes underguards is it for offroading (a luxury Benz?) Sport? or Luxury? Low riding rap videos?

My preference is for a firm / sporty ride.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 450 And some not MB cars
Originally Posted by buddy0329
What is the use case for E-ABC? Since the pkg includes underguards is it for offroading (a luxury Benz?) Sport? or Luxury? Low riding rap videos?

My preference is for a firm / sporty ride.
I understand what you like, you want feel the control of the vehicle.
IMO, if i want a firm and sporty ride, i will go looking for a sedan(i like newAMG GT 4door coupe), want off road will go looking for G or Jeep. The SUV is more for the family use.
BTW, i dont get why people need GLE/GLS 63
Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Using Greg's worksheet, this is close to what I'm planning to order:

Old 11-10-2018, 11:07 AM

TBD
Originally Posted by ShrimpKing
I understand what you like, you want feel the control of the vehicle.
IMO, if i want a firm and sporty ride, i will go looking for a sedan(i like newAMG GT 4door coupe), want off road will go looking for G or Jeep. The SUV is more for the family use.
BTW, i dont get why people need GLE/GLS 63
I know where you're coming from. I already have a sporty sedan. Currently looking for a nice family vehicle. It's down to GLE400 vs GLE450 vs Audi Q7 3.0T.

I;m trying to understand this E-ABC option that costs $8K. Is it to optimize towing? comfort? handling? My dealer didnt know much about it either (obviously).
Old 11-10-2018, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I know where you're coming from. I already have a sporty sedan. Currently looking for a nice family vehicle. It's down to GLE400 vs GLE450 vs Audi Q7 3.0T.

I;m trying to understand this E-ABC option that costs $8K. Is it to optimize towing? comfort? handling? My dealer didnt know much about it either (obviously).
It may be overkill to just adding the Air suspension. It will improve the overall ride even more-potholes, rough roads, etc. it will also change the pitch of the vehicle in corners and that will reduce centrifugal force if you are in to speed. Can probably lower it to ease loading the rear. I decided not to get it because until you drive, it will be hard to know if an individual will even notice most of the time. Then there’s the long term durability question. I’m used to firm suspensions but for ultimate comfort that’s going to set the bar high.
Edit- Forgot towing....it will Level the rear.

Last edited by Ron.s; 11-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL

What is the use case for E-ABC? Since the pkg includes underguards is it for offroading (a luxury Benz?) Sport? or Luxury? Low riding rap videos? My preference is for a firm / sporty ride.
From Daimler press release (10/19/18):
"E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL: the 48V suspension

Even better ride comfort and agility plus completely new functions such as free-driving mode are provided by the optional E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL suspension, which is now combined with the newly developed AIRMATIC air suspension. This is the only system in the market where the spring and damping forces can be individually controlled at each wheel. This means that it not only counteracts body roll, but also pitching and squat. Together with Road Surface Scan and the curve inclination function, E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL is the world's most intelligent SUV suspension and makes an extraordinary level of comfort possible.

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL, developed in-house by Mercedes-Benz, has a 48V operating voltage and is optionally available for engine variants with the 48V system. On poor road surfaces, the system is even able to recuperate energy, roughly halving the energy requirement compared to the preceding system in the S-Class. The hydropneumatics generate dynamic forces that overlay the air suspension forces and actively support and dampen the vehicle body during linear and lateral acceleration or when driving on uneven roads.

Free-driving mode is a completely new off-road function: if the GLE has become bogged down in a sand dune, for example, this can help to free the vehicle more easily. If possible the suspension level is quickly and automatically raised and lowered several times, which changes the ground pressure of the tires and therefore improves traction - the GLE then rocks itself free.

Individual wheel actuation is another new function for off-road driving. This allows the level at each wheel to be individually adjusted via the touchscreen of the multimedia display, thus improving the vehicle's attitude on rough terrain when one wheel is stuck in a ditch or a wheel spring is fully contracted.

E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL in the GLE also has the curve inclination function. Like a motorcycle, the GLE leans into bends and thereby allows cornering in three stages with practically no centrifugal force. If the GLE is equipped with a stereo multipurpose camera, Road Surface Scan becomes possible where a camera continuously scans the road surface, and the suspension responds in advance to any undulations before the vehicle drives over them."

In short, I hope this system is the best of all worlds, allowing increased comfort and sportiness at the same time, or seleactably. My only concerns other, other than cost, is repair after warranty. I have the Dynamic Handling Package with Active Curve on my '12 ML, and it dramatically improves handling in the twisties in Sport setting. This system should be steps above that 7-year old one. It will be interesting to read automotive reviewer's assessments which should start coming out 11/21.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 AM

I don't know how much improvement from current GLE400 to GLE 450 from the comfort of riding. If you don't care about new MBUX, i think go get GLE400, like few dealers around here all give good discount on GLE400. But Q7 also a good combination of tech and ride.

As E-ABC, i dont know are they same as MBC or not. But MBC dose have an improvement on riding. if your dealer have a car with MBC, have a try. Mercedes offer E-ABC for a reason, maybe just show off, maybe point a way for future cars.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Using Greg's worksheet, this is close to what I'm planning to order:

wow, thats a lot cost. i am try to keep leasing under 1000
Old 11-10-2018, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Order comments

Using Greg's worksheet, this is close to what I'm planning to order:.
Joe, that's pretty loaded! Some observations:
  • If you get the DG2PKG AMG Line Interior, you get the Sport steering wheel and seats - cannot get the L3D wheel or 399 Mulitcontour seats or 204A upholstery (black or black/white only).
  • 513 Traffic Sign Assist is included in the DA2PKG
  • RZW 20" wheels are standard in the DG1PKG, no extra charge. I updated the spreadsheet in Post #892 to correct this from previous.
  • I don't know, but Roof Spoiler D11 should not be that expensive, would guess $500
  • Estimate D27 wheel locks at $150 (price on current GLE Coupe) - get aftermarket for less and have en extra set of lugs.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W167 GLE ordering info recap

Here in one place are the preliminay DOG and my pricing spreadsheets. I notice in the DIG there is no page 7 or 42, but that's the way my dealer got it.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-12-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I did a similar exercise. I live in all year round warm weather so luckily don't need to get any of the cold weather features.

2020 GLE 450 Worksheet 2018-11-08 rev3.pdf

Might add acoustic comfort, but currently undecided.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
I did a similar exercise. I live in all year round warm weather so luckily don't need to get any of the cold weather features.

Might add acoustic comfort, but currently undecided.
See my comments in Post #895 regarding AMG Interior Line selection limitations, wheel cost, etc..
Old 11-10-2018, 12:33 PM

2020 GLE 450
See my comments in Post #895 regarding AMG Interior Line selection limitations, wheel cost, etc..
Went to #895, but isn't a post by you. Germancar1 posted 895. But I think I know the one you are referring to. What I understood from the DOG is you could go with the standard option of MBTEX + DINAMICA inserts or choose one of the Black Nappa leather interiors, which is why I chose the Black nappa. Is this what you are referring to?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
Went to #895, but isn't a post by you. Germancar1 posted 895. But I think I know the one you are referring to. What I understood from the DOG is you could go with the standard option of MBTEX + DINAMICA inserts or choose one of the Black Nappa leather interiors, which is why I chose the Black nappa. Is this what you are referring to?
Sorry - dyslexic - #985. Use my updated spreadsheet in #986. No, you're good - must have been looking at wrong spreadsheet. I would really suggest the U09 MB-Tex dash & door panels. A big upgrade with the better texture and stitching.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-10-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Joe, that's pretty loaded! Some observations:
  • If you get the DG2PKG AMG Line Interior, you get the Sport steering wheel and seats - cannot get the L3D wheel or 399 Mulitcontour seats or 204A upholstery (black or black/white only).
  • 513 Traffic Sign Assist is included in the DA2PKG
  • RZW 20" wheels are standard in the DG1PKG, no extra charge. I updated the spreadsheet in Post #892 to correct this from previous.
  • I don't know, but Roof Spoiler D11 should not be that expensive, would guess $500
  • Estimate D27 wheel locks at $150 (price on current GLE Coupe)
Thanks Greg, I'll rework the numbers. I forgot about the AMG Line Interior requiring the black seats. I'll take another run at convincing my wife to try the black seats. If it's a no go, I'll drop the AMG Line Interior option. (I really prefer the look of the AMG steering wheel)

Old 11-10-2018, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wives & colors

I forgot about the AMG Line Interior requiring the black seats. I'll take another run at convincing my wife to try the black seats.
Good luck with that! I tried to convince my wife of the Cardinal Red paint, to which she replied, "My colors are white, black and silver." I didn't correct her that those are achromatic, not color!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 PM

Good luck with that! I tried to convince my wife of the Cardinal Red paint, to which she replied, "My colors are white, black and silver." I didn't correct her that those are achromatic, not color!
Same as here, working on the cardinal red, lol
I think we will go with the basic white.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:21 PM

2020 GLE 450
E-Active Body Control Demo:

" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEbZiX8EbQE
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by turko; 11-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Speaking on e-abc.

I obviously have not driven in it or been inside of it but it is the primary reason in getting the GLE. Why?

this may sound weird but for anyone who is familiar with recent mclarens they use a similar type of system which allows for very fast adjustment of individual damper and spring settings at each corner. Now the mclaren is a bit different in that both functions are integrated into one unit. But having such a system allows you to eliminate a roll bar. elimination of the roll bar by precisely modulating suspension height and stiffness my the millisecond brings accuracy but also eliminates the jarring end to suspension travel that many of us love/hate.

Basicly when all is said and done if you have driven the mclaren you know it is by far the most comfortable super car you can drive and rivals regular street cars. A car like the m3 feels like an unrefined aftermarket chopped suspension compared to the mc.

Im extrapolating here, but this type of system should give this car unrivaled levels of suspension comfort which you can truly turn into a corner carver with the flick of a button.

That's how all these dynamic suspensions have been marketed over the last few years but it's all marketing hype as none of them really change the character too much. The reason is they only adjust the damper in a semi dynamic way and have fixed range limits.

I really am holding out hope this will be the ultimate family car with such a suspension system and believe it will be. For that reason and that reason alone I will be buying his car outright no questions asked (unless the system doesn't impress in real life)

all the offroad road capabilities such a system can offer are great too, but nothing I or 99% of buyers will ever use. To me this should be bought because of the comfort it will provide.

Very hopeful and and should be a game changer against the cayanne, x5 and Audi q which are far too stiff these days and designed for Asian markets IMO
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (11-10-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ABC

Originally Posted by darkus
Speaking on e-abc.

I obviously have not driven in it or been inside of it but it is the primary reason in getting the GLE. Why?

this may sound weird but for anyone who is familiar with recent mclarens they use a similar type of system which allows for very fast adjustment of individual damper and spring settings at each corner. Now the mclaren is a bit different in that both functions are integrated into one unit. But having such a system allows you to eliminate a roll bar. elimination of the roll bar by precisely modulating suspension height and stiffness my the millisecond brings accuracy but also eliminates the jarring end to suspension travel that many of us love/hate.

Basicly when all is said and done if you have driven the mclaren you know it is by far the most comfortable super car you can drive and rivals regular street cars. A car like the m3 feels like an unrefined aftermarket chopped suspension compared to the mc.

Im extrapolating here, but this type of system should give this car unrivaled levels of suspension comfort which you can truly turn into a corner carver with the flick of a button.

That's how all these dynamic suspensions have been marketed over the last few years but it's all marketing hype as none of them really change the character too much. The reason is they only adjust the damper in a semi dynamic way and have fixed range limits.

I really am holding out hope this will be the ultimate family car with such a suspension system and believe it will be. For that reason and that reason alone I will be buying his car outright no questions asked (unless the system doesn't impress in real life)

all the offroad road capabilities such a system can offer are great too, but nothing I or 99% of buyers will ever use. To me this should be bought because of the comfort it will provide.

Very hopeful and and should be a game changer against the cayanne, x5 and Audi q which are far too stiff these days and designed for Asian markets IMO
Well, for a supercar, McLaren was ahead of the game and had road sensing and adaptive capabilities in their suspensions way ahead of their time. This system, if performs as promised, will be a game changer for an affordable SUV. Way ahead of BMW, Porsche or Audi. The system in the last S-Class was good, but with 48v electrics this will be much better, I predict. We can wait and see, but I'm jumping in with both feet.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Couldn't add this to the last post for some reason, but this is my McLaren vintage hat.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-11-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's funny. Like they say, "Happy wife, happy life"

Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 AM

TBD
The leather in our '12 has held up well over 65k miles, but we don't have kids. I did have MB-Tex with synthetic inserts in previous ML and liked it. You can get this combo with the AMG Line Interior option. MB-Tex is the best fake leather out there. Definitely will be more practical with kids/pets.

I have Dynamic Handling on my '12 (hydraulic front antiroll bar) and it really helps handling in the twisties. E-Active is a couple steps beyond able to react to road irregularities in real time (better comfort) and with variable roll control (better handling). I would definitely advise at least Airmatic ($1,610). I am going to get E-Active but am a little concerned about long term reliability and expense with such a system.
I'm still undecided on the suspension. The E-ABC may or may not be the bee's knees but it is cost prohibitive at $8,100. The Airmatic suspension is another unknown. I cant say I loved it in the GLS450 we drove because it did seem to feel somewhat "floaty". My preference would be to have a sporty handling ride but well dampened ride; which I assume would mean to avoid the Airmatic suspension?

I'm also debating the merits of MB-Tex versus Leather or Nappa in order to open up access to the Drivers Assistance Plus Pkg & Multicontour front massaging seats. It appears that the DA2PKG is not available with the MB-Tex. My current car has a manual transmission so I dont have any of that tech. Do we really need DA2PKG just to access blind spot monitors?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Options

I'm still undecided on the suspension. The E-ABC may or may not be the bee's knees but it is cost prohibitive at $8,100. The Airmatic suspension is another unknown. I cant say I loved it in the GLS450 we drove because it did seem to feel somewhat "floaty". My preference would be to have a sporty handling ride but well dampened ride; which I assume would mean to avoid the Airmatic suspension?
I don't consider the Airmatic in my '12 ML floaty, and in fact in Sport setting it is quite stiff. I'm not sure how many settings the new AIRMATIC suspension with the Adaptive Damping System Plus (ADS+) will have but there should be a firmly controlled option.

Here is a description of Airmatic with ADS (not sure what the + adds): "The AIRMATIC suspension system from Mercedes-Benz combines the pneumatic suspension with an Adaptive Damping System (ADS), which can individually adjust the shock absorbers forces to match the vehicle's payload, the state of the road surface and even the driving style. The system comprises of a steering angle sensor, three accelerometers on the vehicle body, the ABS speed sensors on each wheel and a brake pedal sensor. These constantly measure the lateral and longitudinal acceleration of the car during driving. From this data, the ADS Electronic Control Unit calculates the optimal damper setting for each individual wheel and transmits the signals to special actuator valves located on the gas-pressure shock absorbers. These valves are able to switch between different preset damping characteristics during the blink of an eye, thus switching from comfort to sporty mode at the touch of a button."

I'm also debating the merits of MB-Tex versus Leather or Nappa in order to open up access to the Drivers Assistance Plus Pkg & Multicontour front massaging seats. It appears that the DA2PKG is not available with the MB-Tex. My current car has a manual transmission so I don't have any of that tech. Do we really need DA2PKG just to access blind spot monitors?
Blind Spot Assist (234) is standard; Active Blind Spot Assist requires DA2. Personally, I'm forgoing DA2; I like to drive and not be driven, and I don't think my wife has the patience to figure out all the options.

Post #1,000!

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE