GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Review of the GLE 350D in the UK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250D
Review of the GLE 350D in the UK

First, many thanks for you guys sharing all the information on the forum and helped me made the decision to order the GLE.

Previous I drove the C6 Audi A6 2.0TDI for 2 years, then BMW F30 320D for 4 years and merc w205 C250D for 3 years. They are all 4 cylinder diesel units.

The GLE I ordered is 350D AMG line in obsidian black, premium plus package, tech pack, driving assistant package and off road package. In the uk, 7 seats and air suspension are standard on 6-cylinder models, both the interior and exterior are AMG package with open oak and black nappa leather seats.

I received my GLE this Friday and I love the car. The first impression is the car’s build quality is very solid and it’s a huge improvement from c-clas. Every component in the cabin is well screwed and on bar with Q7 and X5. I drove the car from York to London at 17:50 on that day, the journey is around 220 miles. There is mixture of country roads, motorways and different traffic conditions. The car is very silent, riding is very comfortable and gear changing super smooth. The steering is light in town and feel sightly heavy on motorways. This car is ok for county roads, I feel safe to drive the car but I do feel more body roll than Q7 and X5. Motorways is its home court, it’s so quite and relaxed, I can only hear some tyre noise due the poor maintenance of the road. I tested the driving assistant almost the entire journey. In general, the system is smooth, but there are occasions that the brake was a bit of sudden and I experienced the malfunction of lane change twice during the journey. The Burmester sound system is very sweet and worth the money.

One negative point: occasionally I do hear light whispering sound from the driver side wing mirror when the speed is over 70mph, maybe the door seal is not proper fitted.

Also I do notice there are wires exposed outside of the front suspension without any protections. I don’t this is normal or not.

Overall, I am very pleased with this car
Old 06-02-2019, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Congratulations on your car, I thought only the 300d and 450 were available in UK, your must be one of the first 350D'S.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE v167
Congrats, currently driving the c200, ordered the same car but 300d (7 seater) but with Towing pack (no off road) it was actually cheaper than the 5 seater where I ordered it.
Have to wait until October.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
Originally Posted by Sun_in_UK
First, many thanks for you guys sharing all the information on the forum and helped me made the decision to order the GLE.

Previous I drove the C6 Audi A6 2.0TDI for 2 years, then BMW F30 320D for 4 years and merc w205 C250D for 3 years. They are all 4 cylinder diesel units.

The GLE I ordered is 350D AMG line in obsidian black, premium plus package, tech pack, driving assistant package and off road package. In the uk, 7 seats and air suspension are standard on 6-cylinder models, both the interior and exterior are AMG package with open oak and black nappa leather seats.

I received my GLE this Friday and I love the car. The first impression is the car’s build quality is very solid and it’s a huge improvement from c-clas. Every component in the cabin is well screwed and on bar with Q7 and X5. I drove the car from York to London at 17:50 on that day, the journey is around 220 miles. There is mixture of country roads, motorways and different traffic conditions. The car is very silent, riding is very comfortable and gear changing super smooth. The steering is light in town and feel sightly heavy on motorways. This car is ok for county roads, I feel safe to drive the car but I do feel more body roll than Q7 and X5. Motorways is its home court, it’s so quite and relaxed, I can only hear some tyre noise due the poor maintenance of the road. I tested the driving assistant almost the entire journey. In general, the system is smooth, but there are occasions that the brake was a bit of sudden and I experienced the malfunction of lane change twice during the journey. The Burmester sound system is very sweet and worth the money.

One negative point: occasionally I do hear light whispering sound from the driver side wing mirror when the speed is over 70mph, maybe the door seal is not proper fitted.

Also I do notice there are wires exposed outside of the front suspension without any protections. I don’t this is normal or not.

Overall, I am very pleased with this car
Do you have the Interior Assistant in your GLE? You said you ordered the Tech Pack so you should not have it. Unless you ordered the Tech Pack Plus. I'm asking because DMG said he did not have the Interior Assistant in his GLE though he ordered it and it has been told that one of the reasons for the GLE production delays would be the missing parts of the Interior Assistant.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 AM

C250D
The Tech Pack I ordered only includes apple car play and the augmented navi.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 AM

C250D
Originally Posted by Philamg
Congratulations on your car, I thought only the 300d and 450 were available in UK, your must be one of the first 350D'S.
I was also very surprised that I can order 6 pot diesel when I placed my order on mid Feb.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 4matic coupe / 2015 GLK 250 BT / 2008 F250 Diesel / 2002 Focus SVT
The wife and I watched a video review on the 2020 GLE450 (US model) and we are very interested. However, we really want a diesel. We have a GLK250 and love the fuel economy, it has been a great car. The new GLE will have more of the tech we see in our ‘18 E coupe.

I really hope MB brings the new GLE to the US market with a diesel.

thanks for sharing

OJ
Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
Originally Posted by a64armt
The wife and I watched a video review on the 2020 GLE450 (US model) and we are very interested. However, we really want a diesel. We have a GLK250 and love the fuel economy, it has been a great car. The new GLE will have more of the tech we see in our ‘18 E coupe.

I really hope MB brings the new GLE to the US market with a diesel.

thanks for sharing

OJ
Not sure you will get a diesel in the US. That's too bad because in Europe we have 3 differents diesel engines (but only one petrol). Personally I also prefer diesel for its fuel economy (and the purchase is also generally less expensive and the price of the liter of diesel is also generally lower than the petrol one). I got today from an automobile magazine the verified consumption measures for the 300D: 7,8 l/100km on highway (that's about 30.16 US MPG, btw speed limit on highway in France is 130 km/h so about 81 mph).
The following users liked this post:
a64armt (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Nico49_75
Not sure you will get a diesel in the US. That's too bad because in Europe we have 3 differents diesel engines (but only one petrol). Personally I also prefer diesel for its fuel economy (and the purchase is also generally less expensive and the price of the liter of diesel is also generally lower than the petrol one). I got today from an automobile magazine the verified consumption measures for the 300D: 7,8 l/100km on highway (that's about 30.16 US MPG, btw speed limit on highway in France is 130 km/h so about 81 mph).
Diesel more expensive than petrol in UK.