GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Adding a feature Via software upgrade for 2020 GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Question Adding a feature Via software upgrade for 2020 GLE

Hello all, I just joined MBWorld in hopes of getting some answers. Back in March I put in a order for a 2020 GLE 350 with some options such as the augmented video for Nav. Long story short, the car was scheduled to go into production in June, and it did but production quickly stopped due to parts availability (this is all according to dealer). So choosing to no longer wait I asked the dealer to find a another GLE with similar options as the ones I asked for. Sure enough he did but this car was missing the augmented video option. However, the car does have parking assist package so it has the surround view cameras. Basically I am wondering since the car is equipped with the front camera, and being as how the augmented video uses the front camera couldn't the dealer/mb just do a software upgrade to added that option? The dealer couldn't give a definite answer so I am hoping one of you can.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
There are two sets of cameras up front.
For 360 degree parking, you have a camera under the grille logo, whereas for the navigation, it uses a camera behind the rearview mirror housing.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:32 AM

2020 GLE 350
Got it. Thank you for the response. So is it possible to install that camera and then upload the software? I am just thinking if the camera is located in the rearview mirror housing then it shouldn't be that difficult, meaning just change the housing with one that has a camera? Just guessing.

Thanks again
Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM

You'll need to change the windshield too I imagine, then make a host of other programming changes. Not ideal.,
I recommend either waiting for your build to arrive or keep searching for another with the options you need/want.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Adding augmented video

Originally Posted by Reaz1010
Got it. Thank you for the response. So is it possible to install that camera and then upload the software? I am just thinking if the camera is located in the rearview mirror housing then it shouldn't be that difficult, meaning just change the housing with one that has a camera? Just guessing.

Thanks again
No, as tiri says, it's not really feasible. The module in front of the rearview mirror attaches to the windshield and has different configurations depending on options. That is a nice option, but not a must-have.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Reaz1010
Hello all, I just joined MBWorld in hopes of getting some answers. Back in March I put in a order for a 2020 GLE 350 with some options such as the augmented video for Nav. Long story short, the car was scheduled to go into production in June, and it did but production quickly stopped due to parts availability (this is all according to dealer). So choosing to no longer wait I asked the dealer to find a another GLE with similar options as the ones I asked for. Sure enough he did but this car was missing the augmented video option. However, the car does have parking assist package so it has the surround view cameras. Basically I am wondering since the car is equipped with the front camera, and being as how the augmented video uses the front camera couldn't the dealer/mb just do a software upgrade to added that option? The dealer couldn't give a definite answer so I am hoping one of you can.
Thanks in advance.
I probably wouldn’t get Augmented again. It’s a wow factor the first time someone notices but really doesn’t add that much to Navigation. I can see where on rare occasions it might help but not in everyday Nav usage, IMO.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 PM

If you've ever driven in Aix-en-Provence in southern France, you'll see just how useful augmented Nav can be.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Personally I think it looks cool but it was t even available in Australia as it could distract the driver (we aren’t allowed to have it according to the dealer).
Old 07-16-2019, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I probably wouldn’t get Augmented again. It’s a wow factor the first time someone notices but really doesn’t add that much to Navigation. I can see where on rare occasions it might help but not in everyday Nav usage, IMO.
100% agree, in my opinion it is a gimmick that is confusing, part of a package in UK.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:35 AM

GLE 300d
If there is software upgrade to include safety feature in Australia, it will be fantastic. I recently bought a GLE 300d to realise that it doesn't have route based speed adaptation where A and B class (half of its price) have it. When you have no car in front and on adaptive cruise control at 100km/hr the car will go into bends and round about at that high speed without slowing down. This is really a must have feature.