GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Key Fob Fable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2020 | 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
I think the problem is you can't have the motion sensor too sensitive. Otherwise the key will wake up constantly by the lightest touch. Also, more frequent sleep/wake cycle will most likely drain the key battery faster.
I don't know the exact time before the key goes to sleep mode, but you can manually trigger it by pressing the lock button twice in quick succession.
You then have to physically press a button to wake it up.
Old 07-16-2020 | 01:18 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Umm, it looks like there are two types of "sleep" the keyfob has. One is "light sleep" (or standby mode) which is awake by motion sensor. The other one is "deep sleep" (or off mode) which is trigger by double clicking on the lock button (does not wake by motion, only by the button).
For mine issue, its the first type. Before getting the new key, almost after any amount of drive, after getting off the car and trying to lock the door with the sensor, it wouldn't work until I shake the key fob.

I wish Mercedes could change the design, so that if the key is detected inside the car while running, it should keep the key "awake". That way, the "time to sleep" won't matter as much.
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Umm, it looks like there are two types of "sleep" the keyfob has. One is "light sleep" (or standby mode) which is awake by motion sensor. The other one is "deep sleep" (or off mode) which is trigger by double clicking on the lock button (does not wake by motion, only by the button).
For mine issue, its the first type. Before getting the new key, almost after any amount of drive, after getting off the car and trying to lock the door with the sensor, it wouldn't work until I shake the key fob.

I wish Mercedes could change the design, so that if the key is detected inside the car while running, it should keep the key "awake". That way, the "time to sleep" won't matter as much.
It's only the "light sleep" that is an issue, the "deep sleep" works as designed.

The problem is that the "light sleep" doesn't awaken as designed, it should wake up with the motion created when leaving the car but sometimes it doesn't.
Old 07-21-2020 | 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Collected car from dealers and report says "keyfob issue, software update available and done", we will see.
Old 07-21-2020 | 12:36 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Philamg
Collected car from dealers and report says "keyfob issue, software update available and done", we will see.
Hopefully that plus the new keys fix your issue.
I think yours and mine are different issue. Mine is either the key go to sleep to early, or the motion sensor doesn't work correctly (now that I think of it), and new key seems to fix it so far.
As for yours, it could be the car not recognizing the key from time to time.
Old 07-21-2020 | 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Hopefully that plus the new keys fix your issue.
I think yours and mine are different issue. Mine is either the key go to sleep to early, or the motion sensor doesn't work correctly (now that I think of it), and new key seems to fix it so far.
As for yours, it could be the car not recognizing the key from time to time.
Mine like everybody elses is the key not waking up.
Old 07-22-2020 | 11:47 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Mine like everybody elses is the key not waking up.
The reason why I said this is because my issue was resolved with a new key, and no software update.
You mentioned that your dealer performed some kind of software update (which I believe is on the car side, as I don't believe you can update the software on the key), which is why I think your issue might be different than mine.
By the way, did the new key + software update fix the issue for you?
Old 07-22-2020 | 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
The reason why I said this is because my issue was resolved with a new key, and no software update.
You mentioned that your dealer performed some kind of software update (which I believe is on the car side, as I don't believe you can update the software on the key), which is why I think your issue might be different than mine.
By the way, did the new key + software update fix the issue for you?
I haven't got a new key, they only did the software update yesterday so can't judge whether it has fixed the issue but I doubt it. No "knowledge" of new keys in UK yet but sure it will happen, probably when I am about to trade the car.
I am always dubious when they say that they have carried out a software update, I believe that is to pacify you that they have done something.
Old 07-22-2020 | 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
There is actually a software up date to the Key Fob. Before I got my new ones they did both of mine. I had one Fob that was much worse than the other and the update made them both work about the same so one worked better but neither were satisfactory after the update. Phil is probably correct in that Mercedes makes the Dealer do the software first. Does it fix any or just a stall tactic?
Old 07-22-2020 | 02:18 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
I haven't got a new key, they only did the software update yesterday so can't judge whether it has fixed the issue but I doubt it. No "knowledge" of new keys in UK yet but sure it will happen, probably when I am about to trade the car.
I am always dubious when they say that they have carried out a software update, I believe that is to pacify you that they have done something.
Have you try to ask the dealer to lookup the LI number listed on the picture I posted above? That looks to be some kind of internal document for Mercedes.
(sorry I got confused between you and bkushner which did got a new key)
Old 07-22-2020 | 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Have you try to ask the dealer to lookup the LI number listed on the picture I posted above? That looks to be some kind of internal document for Mercedes.
(sorry I got confused between you and bkushner which did got a new key)
When Ron S had his keys replaced he posted the work document and I sent it to the service manager but MB UK are still denying they know about it, happens all the time in UK.

To be honest it isn't much of an issue to me but they aren't correct and will eventually will be replaced.

Last edited by Philamg; 07-22-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2020 | 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I can now confirm that the software update doesn't work - not surprised.
Old 07-26-2020 | 06:20 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
You should really push for your dealer for a new key. Show them this post, show them the pictures me and Ron posted. I originally got the "cannot find any issue" response from my dealership, but after showing them this post + Ron's picture, the "found" the LI document describing the issue and replace the key, when fix the issue for me.
Old 07-29-2020 | 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
You should really push for your dealer for a new key. Show them this post, show them the pictures me and Ron posted. I originally got the "cannot find any issue" response from my dealership, but after showing them this post + Ron's picture, the "found" the LI document describing the issue and replace the key, when fix the issue for me.
Wish it was that easy, in UK key not available, have shown dealer Rons work document for new key so they are aware but MBUK not supplying new fobs at present
Old 07-29-2020 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Is this issue resolved on vehicles being shipped now? I don’t understand the problem, This is not ne w technology.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by petee1997
Is this issue resolved on vehicles being shipped now? I don’t understand the problem, This is not ne w technology.
Actually it is a new twist added to the Key Fob to put it to sleep automatically to combat vehicle theft. You park on the street and thieves with electronics extend the signal range from the Fob in your home to let them start the car. The new Fob is asleep so that stops that theft method.
Unfortunately some Fobs don’t wake up properly and may go to sleep prematurely. They have a new Fob and I’m sure that they will come in new cars. The production numbers may not be adequate to also provide them to the replacement parts supply chain for now.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by petee1997
It was new for MB on the GLE, it was the first MB with the go to sleep fob system, I would imagine new cars have the updated fob which works correctly.
Old 07-30-2020 | 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Thanks guys
Old 07-31-2020 | 12:13 AM

2020 GLE
Lately, I’ve noticed that if I leave the fob in my pocket while driving, it’ll go to sleep and I’ll have to jiggle it in order to lock the doors. It’s never happened before until recently.
Old 07-31-2020 | 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by tinman831
Lately, I’ve noticed that if I leave the fob in my pocket while driving, it’ll go to sleep and I’ll have to jiggle it in order to lock the doors. It’s never happened before until recently.
Happened on mine since june 19.
Old 07-31-2020 | 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Have reported the issue to MB UK, pointless really as they are going to arrange for the dealer to look at it which the did and carried out "software update" 2 weeks ago. Told them about new fobs available in US, let's wait and see.
Old 07-31-2020 | 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another approach (if this doesn’t work) is to have them replace your Fobs. There’s a good chance that you will get the new ones but even if not they may work. If not ask for new ones again. At some point the squeaky wheel gets action.
Old 08-01-2020 | 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Another approach (if this doesn’t work) is to have them replace your Fobs. There’s a good chance that you will get the new ones but even if not they may work. If not ask for new ones again. At some point the squeaky wheel gets action.
Have already told them that replacing the fobs is the answer, they won't do that until they admit there is an problem.
Old 08-01-2020 | 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have already told them that replacing the fobs is the answer, they won't do that until they admit there is an problem.
I had some pushback when I first reported the issue, they couldn’t replicate it at the dealership.
So for proof, I took several video’s with my phone showing the malfunction-describing how long I had been driving-shaking the Fob to show it working again. I also described the frequency that it occurred by tracking trips with a failure percentage. That provided the Dealer the necessary documentation of the malfunction. They also began to realize that it becomes more than just a minor inconvenience when it happens so often.
Old 09-25-2020 | 02:19 PM

2020 GLE350
Finally after a 9 month battle with the service department, I got 2 new key fobs and they work perfectly. It shouldn't have to be this difficult. I spoon fed them everything and they still refused there was an issue. Kept going back and forth between "you must be doing somethning wrong" and "this is the way they are designed to work".

At least 4 members of the service department witnessed the fact that the door would not lock after exiting the vehicle. I provided them videos I took of the issue when the car would not lock when I exited. I provided them with printouts of some of the comments in this thread and provided a link. I showed them the solution that Ron S finally got. This is my 3rd Mercedes so I am pretty sure I know how to lock the doors. Yet even on the day that they finally ordered the new key fobs, they still didn't believe an issue existed.

Thanks to Ron S and all who participated in this thread so I at least had some fodder to use against the service department that just thought I was crazy.
The following 2 users liked this post by WalterParker:
Lanzz (09-25-2020), Ron.s (09-25-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Fable