Winter Tires - What are you wearing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by HotRodW
The Mandrus use a cone seat lug. Discount Tire incorrectly thought they would use the factory bolts.
My Tire Rack Sensors were described as 433 MHz-https://www.tirerack.com/tracking/OrderStatusServlet?orderNum=EB44260&billToZip=8370 4&prevOrders=true# They don’t describe any Brand or PN.
As I mentioned there are Mercedes Sensors from some prior Gens that are different that those in today’s GLE. They might have seen Mercedes fitment and ordered for the wrong ones. It’s a pain but at least they are on the dime to correct and replace them.
The Ball seat will always be shorter in a Conical wheel because it won’t recess into the hole but sits on the outside since it’s a larger diameter. I admit making this mistake on my wife’s Lexus about a Decade ago. There was only 3 threads making contact…just enough to strip them or have a wheel come off later.
My experience with Discount Tire has been excellent with the shop side but I also found them to be lacking in anything related to aftermarket wheels. The manager at the shop I use told me that they rarely get much demand on Luxury car fitment for wheels so he had me look at the computer screen and search options. Tire Rack seems to do a much better job but they only recommend options specific to your car even though other slightly different wheels might work…they also supply lug bolts if needed. This Forum seems to be a good source for some that might not be comfortable with all of the wheel fitment specs. You seem on top of the fitment but relied on the Vendor…
Old 11-13-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
My Tire Rack Sensors were described as 433 MHz-https://www.tirerack.com/tracking/OrderStatusServlet?orderNum=EB44260&billToZip=8370 4&prevOrders=true# They don’t describe any Brand or PN.
As I mentioned there are Mercedes Sensors from some prior Gens that are different that those in today’s GLE. They might have seen Mercedes fitment and ordered for the wrong ones. It’s a pain but at least they are on the dime to correct and replace them.
The Ball seat will always be shorter in a Conical wheel because it won’t recess into the hole but sits on the outside since it’s a larger diameter. I admit making this mistake on my wife’s Lexus about a Decade ago. There was only 3 threads making contact…just enough to strip them or have a wheel come off later.
My experience with Discount Tire has been excellent with the shop side but I also found them to be lacking in anything related to aftermarket wheels. The manager at the shop I use told me that they rarely get much demand on Luxury car fitment for wheels so he had me look at the computer screen and search options. Tire Rack seems to do a much better job but they only recommend options specific to your car even though other slightly different wheels might work…they also supply lug bolts if needed. This Forum seems to be a good source for some that might not be comfortable with all of the wheel fitment specs. You seem on top of the fitment but relied on the Vendor…
My last four winter wheel and tire packages have come from Discount Tire. I used to buy exclusively from Tire Rack (TR's Indiana warehouse is an hour from my home), but I switched to Discount Tire to try Nokians, which I now prefer to Blizzaks. And if something goes wrong, I have somebody local to look in the eye when I'm looking for a resolution. I likely won't go back to Tire Rack until they start carrying the Nokian brand, and maybe not even then. I mean, they've screwed up my orders, too.

I'm on a first name basis with the local Discount Tire store manager, who has for the most part treated me very well. He gets that I have a solid understanding of wheel fitments, so he doesn't patronize or BS, and he has custom ordered wheels and tires for me that aren't even listed on their website -- something Tire Rack will not do. In this case, it appears I believe he did in fact have bad information on the wheel specs. (TSW was acquired by Wheel Pros last December, and it has not been a smooth transition.) Regarding the sensors, he is confident I have the correct sensors installed, but he believes they weren't programmed when his technicians mounted the tires on the wheels. He is coming to my home next week to clone my current sensors so resetting the system at changeover won't be necessary. This particular transaction has been frustrating for sure, but I'll be satisfied if he is able to correct the sensor issue without me returning to the shop again.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by HotRodW
My last four winter wheel and tire packages have come from Discount Tire. I used to buy exclusively from Tire Rack (TR's Indiana warehouse is an hour from my home), but I switched to Discount Tire to try Nokians, which I now prefer to Blizzaks. And if something goes wrong, I have somebody local to look in the eye when I'm looking for a resolution. I likely won't go back to Tire Rack until they start carrying the Nokian brand, and maybe not even then. I mean, they've screwed up my orders, too.

I'm on a first name basis with the local Discount Tire store manager, who has for the most part treated me very well. He gets that I have a solid understanding of wheel fitments, so he doesn't patronize or BS, and he has custom ordered wheels and tires for me that aren't even listed on their website -- something Tire Rack will not do. In this case, it appears I believe he did in fact have bad information on the wheel specs. (TSW was acquired by Wheel Pros last December, and it has not been a smooth transition.) Regarding the sensors, he is confident I have the correct sensors installed, but he believes they weren't programmed when his technicians mounted the tires on the wheels. He is coming to my home next week to clone my current sensors so resetting the system at changeover won't be necessary. This particular transaction has been frustrating for sure, but I'll be satisfied if he is able to correct the sensor issue without me returning to the shop again.
My sensors came uninstalled with my wheel package and didn’t require cloning. Mercedes recognizes the sensor and the location front or rear. I have had sensors on other vehicles that required cloning or a trigger tool to identify the location of the wheel. Mercedes doesn’t work that way.
Actually I bought a winter set of Michelin PA 5 SUV’s from Discount and they installed them on my TR wheels with the TR sensors. I have used the same set on my GLE 450 and now on my GLE 53…just put tire/wheels on the car and drive it until they sync in a few minutes. Rotate front to back no problem. Same process putting back the factory tires. Might be that your DT store has the wrong type of sensors if they require cloning since the Mercedes system on the new Gen GLE is different.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLE580
Arrow Lightly used Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 tires - set of 4

Originally Posted by tiri
I know it is only mid-September, but I already have to look into getting winter rubber for the sled.
By law, here in Québec, every vehicle registered in the province must have official winter tires installed by December 1st, or face a fine and demerit points. I have no issue with this as it has drastically improved overall safety on the roads.

I'd like to know what are you all looking at installing? My RZV rims came with 275/50R20 tires.
I usually run narrower tires in winter to reduce the risk of aquaplaning; and it also helps in snow. But considering how well winter tire compound and tread design (blocks and sipes) have improved just in the last ten years,it may no longer be necessary.
  1. So far, I am leaning toward the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 which should be better than the Blizzak WS-80. It also appears as the clear Price/Performance winner.
  2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 is the best winter tire out there, but is one of the most expensive on the market along with their Hakkapeliitta 9.
  3. Gislaved Nord*Frost 200 is also very good, but harder to find.

My criteria are how good is traction in wet, slush, ice, and hard-packed snow.
Deep snow is less of an issue in the city, and when getting out of snow-banked parking spaces, the 4Matic and careful application of the throttle will get me out no problem.
I'm selling (4) Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 - 285 / 40 / R21 that I took off my Audi Q7.

Retail for $402/tire from America's Tire -
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...r3-suv/p/49564
$800 for all (4) tires.

Just posted on Craig's List - https://post.craigslist.org/manage/7407637726

PM if interested.

Brian
2021 GLE 580

Old 11-15-2021, 03:20 PM

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
My sensors came uninstalled with my wheel package and didn’t require cloning. Mercedes recognizes the sensor and the location front or rear. I have had sensors on other vehicles that required cloning or a trigger tool to identify the location of the wheel. Mercedes doesn’t work that way.
Actually I bought a winter set of Michelin PA 5 SUV’s from Discount and they installed them on my TR wheels with the TR sensors. I have used the same set on my GLE 450 and now on my GLE 53…just put tire/wheels on the car and drive it until they sync in a few minutes. Rotate front to back no problem. Same process putting back the factory tires. Might be that your DT store has the wrong type of sensors if they require cloning since the Mercedes system on the new Gen GLE is different.
Cloning isn't required, but makes for a seamless changeover. The car doesn't perceive any change whatsoever when the wheels are swapped, so no reset of any kind is necessary. It's not a big deal for MB vehicles since the reset typically happens automatically, but it's one less thing to worry about. If he's coming to me to program the sensors anyway, I might as well just have them cloned.