GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE big enough for family of 4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2021 | 01:44 PM

GLE
GLE big enough for family of 4?

For GLE owners with two kids, do you find the space adequate? My kids are 7 and 9 and in low back, non latched in boosters so 3rd row access should not be a problem without captain chairs. About twice a month they each have a friend over at the same time so I do need a 3rd row. But mostly it's me and the kids and sometimes my husband as well (5'11.) Not a lot of cargo, but it will be the car we use on road trips so I don't want a cramped feeling. The kids have large backpacks for school and do go back to the 3rd row to change sometimes (I leave it up because I like that well area behind them). I am coming from a Honda Odyssey so am used to elbow room and space, even if wasted! I guess what I am asking is do families with 2 elementary age kids and a GLE ever wish for more space on a regular basis?

I am going back and forth between the GLE and GLS. After 7.5 yrs of a minivan, I wouldn't mind something sportier. But not if I am going to regret it!
Old 11-15-2021 | 01:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Since you mentioned that you are coming from a minivan, I think you should also take a look at this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ls-regret.html
That being said, the needs might still be different and it might work for you. Hopefully it does.
Old 11-15-2021 | 01:54 PM

GLE
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Since you mentioned that you are coming from a minivan, I think you should also take a look at this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ls-regret.html
That being said, the needs might still be different and it might work for you. Hopefully it does.
I have actually read that! I don't have any baby gear anymore and my 2 kids are in boosters that are light and not attached to the seat. I definitely appreciated the minivan in those days!!

Edit: I just realized she is talking about the GLS. Maybe the GLE will be cramped with backpacks and whatever else they have. Maybe the GLS will be too! I have looked at a lightly used platinum Escalade and the kids seemed to love that, even though the 3rd row looks so uncomfortable with the high floor.

Last edited by Flashy09; 11-15-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2021 | 02:46 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Coming from a minivan you'll definitely have to seriously consider the move. It sounds like you're gonna be using the 3rd row more often than not, so just with that alone I think the GLS will work better in terms of accessing the third row. The GLE has a sloped rear door C-pillar which makes access to third row more difficult than the GLS for both youth and adults.

With that said, I have 3 kids (7, 5, 3) and our GLE has the third row. So far it works but then again we never had a minivan (only rode in friends) and our built (physic) is on a tiny side so we make things work out, plus the GLS does not fit in our garage with the trunk open, and the GLS sits a 'tad' higher than the GLE I believe. If we can't fit stuff in the trunk, we have a roof rack and also tow hitch to make things work (hopefully lol).

Old 11-15-2021 | 09:38 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by Flashy09
For GLE owners with two kids, do you find the space adequate? My kids are 7 and 9 and in low back, non latched in boosters so 3rd row access should not be a problem without captain chairs. About twice a month they each have a friend over at the same time so I do need a 3rd row. But mostly it's me and the kids and sometimes my husband as well (5'11.) Not a lot of cargo, but it will be the car we use on road trips so I don't want a cramped feeling. The kids have large backpacks for school and do go back to the 3rd row to change sometimes (I leave it up because I like that well area behind them). I am coming from a Honda Odyssey so am used to elbow room and space, even if wasted! I guess what I am asking is do families with 2 elementary age kids and a GLE ever wish for more space on a regular basis?

I am going back and forth between the GLE and GLS. After 7.5 yrs of a minivan, I wouldn't mind something sportier. But not if I am going to regret it!
The second row in the GLE is spacious, and the second rows slides for even more leg room, and the seat backs recline. My girls are 16 and 12, and they love it in the second row, just make sure you get the 4 way climate control so each side can set their temp the way the want it. I also recommend the heated second row. I have the 3rd row, and use it when grandparents are in town, or friends tag along. The girls fit back there fine for occasional days trips, and there is adequate leg room if you slide the middle row forward. The 3rd row would be tight for changing cloths That said, the GLE fits our need fine. I also own a QX60 with a third row, and the two vehicles are comparable. That said, the girls prefer the Mercedes over the Infiniti. However, if you plan to regularly haul 5-6 adult sized individuals, move up to the GLS.
Old 11-15-2021 | 09:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Flashy09
I have actually read that! I don't have any baby gear anymore and my 2 kids are in boosters that are light and not attached to the seat. I definitely appreciated the minivan in those days!!

Edit: I just realized she is talking about the GLS. Maybe the GLE will be cramped with backpacks and whatever else they have. Maybe the GLS will be too! I have looked at a lightly used platinum Escalade and the kids seemed to love that, even though the 3rd row looks so uncomfortable with the high floor.
Seems like you got some nice detailed responses from actual owners, that is good. Like I said though it really depends on the usage but so far it looks like the GLE might indeed work for you : )
Old 11-15-2021 | 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The backseat of the GLE is best in class and should be plenty enough for your growing children, its huge, surprisingly bigger than a BMW X7 which is a class size larger, a GLS will give you even more space. Cargo space is also generous, but of course nothing can beat the practicality of a minivan. We don't have the third row on our GLE, but I have seen it and its definitely for children only. If the third row is a necessity and often used, especially in conjunction with cargo, I would consider a GLS. While the Cadillac is huge on the inside, it will feel ponderous to drive and be hard to maneuver, and the latest 2021 model is the only one worth going for, the last generation sucked in my opinion. Also finding a GLE w/ 3rd Row or GLS right now may prove to be difficult, and you can also bet that dealers will be marking those cars up as they are hot, so best to shop around for the best deal.
Old 11-16-2021 | 04:56 AM

I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old and the GLE is perfectly fine for our needs. Enough room in the 2nd row for 2 full size car seats plus an adult (with good legroom), and I fit a full size stroller + bassinet in the trunk every day with enough room for more bags and luggage. I have the 3rd row but always keep it folded down so not sure how well it would work for older kids. I did get a roof rack recently for even more storage (for a trip to Canada where we were overflowing with cargo) but generally it's not needed.

I did get a 2019 GLS loaner (older generation) a month ago while my car was in service and you definitely notice the larger trunk, but the 1st and 2rd rows did not feel any more spacious or comfortable (though I'm sure the 3rd row would).
Old 11-16-2021 | 09:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Speaking of minivan, I wonder how much bigger is a van... and if Mercedes' V-Class/Vito (only available in European countries I think) or Mercedes Sprinter Van or Metris minivan can compete but then lacking the luxury) to the honda odyssey?
Old 11-16-2021 | 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by maalox
I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old and the GLE is perfectly fine for our needs. Enough room in the 2nd row for 2 full size car seats plus an adult (with good legroom), and I fit a full size stroller + bassinet in the trunk every day with enough room for more bags and luggage. I have the 3rd row but always keep it folded down so not sure how well it would work for older kids. I did get a roof rack recently for even more storage (for a trip to Canada where we were overflowing with cargo) but generally it's not needed.

I did get a 2019 GLS loaner (older generation) a month ago while my car was in service and you definitely notice the larger trunk, but the 1st and 2rd rows did not feel any more spacious or comfortable (though I'm sure the 3rd row would).
Rather than a roof rack, I have the following. Works great and doesn't impact fuel economy. Much easier to get access to the luggage.

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/i...er-e98874.webm
The following users liked this post:
maalox (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021 | 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Rather than a roof rack, I have the following. Works great and doesn't impact fuel economy. Much easier to get access to the luggage.

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/i...er-e98874.webm
That looks like a really well thought out carrier. That would be the one I'd buy, unless I can find one with those features in aluminum.

However, using that and having four people in the car, might challenge the payload capacity.
Most payloads on GLE's will be in the 10 to 1200 lb range. I don't think you gain ​much with a GLS.
500 lbs in the carrier plus its weight, will eat up most of that capacity and leave little for your family and other gear.
Check your driver's door pillar for the rated capacities.

When towing our 27 ft RV, we put 700 pounds on the hitch, and are barely under our GVW. But I pay careful attention to the gross axle weights, which are also posted on the driver's door pillar. We have a couple hundred pounds excess capacity at each axle, whey weighing at the scales, loaded for travel.

Just be aware.
Old 11-17-2021 | 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mikapen
That looks like a really well thought out carrier. That would be the one I'd buy, unless I can find one with those features in aluminum.

However, using that and having four people in the car, might challenge the payload capacity.
Most payloads on GLE's will be in the 10 to 1200 lb range. I don't think you gain ​much with a GLS.
500 lbs in the carrier plus its weight, will eat up most of that capacity and leave little for your family and other gear.
Check your driver's door pillar for the rated capacities.

When towing our 27 ft RV, we put 700 pounds on the hitch, and are barely under our GVW. But I pay careful attention to the gross axle weights, which are also posted on the driver's door pillar. We have a couple hundred pounds excess capacity at each axle, whey weighing at the scales, loaded for travel.

Just be aware.
Yeah, 500 lbs is extreme. 4 extralarge suit cases stuffed full only weight ~200 lbs, so in my case the hitch trailer, environment bag and 4 extra large suitcase weight under 300 lbs.
Old 11-17-2021 | 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
While my wife and I have no kids we go have a Minivan. Dodge Grand Caravan. I can tell you personally that when it comes to hauling objects and people a minivan is impossible to beat. Trucks and SUV cannot beat the storage and space they have to offer. Our ML or GLK doesn’t haul anywhere near the load. Even my brother in laws Ram 3500 cannot haul it all. Towe yes you need a SUV or Truck. But for families I personally think you cannot beat the functionality of a van.

I personally think it also depends on your lifestyle as well as I am sure a GLE will do just fine with 4 people.