GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Winter Tires - What are you wearing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Winter Tires - What are you wearing?

I know it is only mid-September, but I already have to look into getting winter rubber for the sled.
By law, here in Québec, every vehicle registered in the province must have official winter tires installed by December 1st, or face a fine and demerit points. I have no issue with this as it has drastically improved overall safety on the roads.

I'd like to know what are you all looking at installing? My RZV rims came with 275/50R20 tires.
I usually run narrower tires in winter to reduce the risk of aquaplaning; and it also helps in snow. But considering how well winter tire compound and tread design (blocks and sipes) have improved just in the last ten years,it may no longer be necessary.

1. So far, I am leaning toward the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 which should be better than the Blizzak WS-80. It also appears as the the clear Price/Performance winner.
  2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 is the best winter tire out there, but is one of the most expensive on the market along with their Hakkapeliitta 9.
  3. Gislaved Nord*Frost 200 is also very good, but harder to find.

My criteria are how good is traction in wet, slush, ice, and hard packed snow.
Deep snow is less of an issue in the city, and when gettin out of snow banked parking spaces, the 4Matic and careful application of the throttle will get me out no problem.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Winter tires for GLE

Originally Posted by tiri
I know it is only mid-September, but I already have to look into getting winter rubber for the sled.
By law, here in Québec, every vehicle registered in the province must have official winter tires installed by December 1st, or face a fine and demerit points. I have no issue with this as it has drastically improved overall safety on the roads.

I'd like to know what are you all looking at installing? My RZV rims came with 275/50R20 tires.
I usually run narrower tires in winter to reduce the risk of aquaplaning; and it also helps in snow. But considering how well winter tire compound and tread design (blocks and sipes) have improved just in the last ten years,it may no longer be necessary.
  1. So far, I am leaning toward the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 which should be better than the Blizzak WS-80. It also appears as the the clear Price/Performance winner.
  2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 is the best winter tire out there, but is one of the most expensive on the market along with their Hakkapeliitta 9.
  3. Gislaved Nord*Frost 200 is also very good, but harder to find.

My criteria are how good is traction in wet, slush, ice, and hard packed snow.
Deep snow is less of an issue in the city, and when getting out of snow banked parking spaces, the 4Matic and careful application of the throttle will get me out no problem.
I had Pirelli Scorpion Winters on my 2012 ML which I was happy with, but we don't get as frequent Winter conditions as you. Handling on low temp wet roads is important for me. I would like to find Michelin Pilot Alpin V SUVs. I have never had Blizzaks, but the DM-V2s are well-priced. I will run stock size on 20x9 wheels adapted from my W166 (12mm spacers in rear).

https://www.michelin.ca/en/pilot-alpin-5-suv.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Michelin Pilot Alpin V SUV.pdf (340.5 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 09-13-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I had Pirelli Scorpion Winters on my 2012 ML which I was happy with, but we don't get as frequent Winter conditions as you. Handling on low temp wet roads is important for me. I would like to find Michelin Pilot Alpin V SUVs. I have never had Blizzaks, but the DM-V2s are well-priced. I will run stock size on 20x9 wheels adapted from my W166 (12mm spacers in rear).

https://www.michelin.ca/en/pilot-alpin-5-suv.html
I looked in June and again last week. They don’t appear to be available anywhere. If you find any let me know but as of now I’m leaning Blizzack.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I looked in June and again last week. They don’t appear to be available anywhere. If you find any let me know but as of now I’m leaning Blizzack.
The Pilot Alpin Vs are on backorder in that size. The Tire Rack is supposed to call me when they have an ETA.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Want to get a separate set of wheels with a square setup and down size to a 255/55r20 Hakka 9 Studded (non-performance winter) I tried the 275 route on my wife’s XC90 and they still loved to plow and skate even with studs. I had 265’s on our old GL which weren’t terrible but it’s a bigger vehicle.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
I already have my Blizzak DM-V2's mounted on rims. Got them at Tire Rack during the $80 rebate window. Total cost was around $1800. With two homes in NY (Western and Adirondack region) I needed a balance between ice and snow. Strictly snow I would have used Nokian as they were my tires when I drove SAAB's and would go through anything.

The Blizzack's are great on packed snow and ice while being good in snow. The state road leading to my Adirondack home is a snowmobile trail and will be snow packed for months. They use sand on this road and not salt.

The fact that my Mercedes dealer stores my tire during off season is a great convenience.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
I'm still debating whether I should spring for rims or not.
I lease my cars on 36 month contracts. This is the first time I am a repeat customer (2016 to 2020 GLE).
Will I renew in three years for a 2023 GLE? I don't know yet, but I'd like to amortize my costs as much as possible.
Since the brakes are bigger on the 2020 than on the 2016, my old 19" tires and rims wont clear.

So that is my quandary. Buy rims, mount winter rubber for 3 winters, sell the tires, buy new ones and remount for another three winters, or. simply unmount/mount + balance each change of season on my stock rims?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Winter rims/tires

Originally Posted by tiri
I'm still debating whether I should spring for rims or not.
I lease my cars on 36 month contracts. This is the first time I am a repeat customer (2016 to 2020 GLE).
Will I renew in three years for a 2023 GLE? I don't know yet, but I'd like to amortize my costs as much as possible.
Since the brakes are bigger on the 2020 than on the 2016, my old 19" tires and rims wont clear.

So that is my quandary. Buy rims, mount winter rubber for 3 winters, sell the tires, buy new ones and remount for another three winters, or. simply unmount/mount + balance each change of season on my stock rims?
Swapping out the tires is the cheapest, but kind of a pain. If you do it 2x per year x say $100 that's $600 over 3 years. You can get cheap Winter wheels in packages, but I would look for some 20" GLE take-offs.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Pilot Alpin Vs are on backorder in that size. The Tire Rack is supposed to call me when they have an ETA.
Neither Tire Rack nor Discount Tire will carry them this season. Here’s a response I got from Tire Rack last week on the Pilot Alpin.
Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately we dont have any on order so it does not look like we will stock this tire this winter season”
The Pilot Alpin 5 SUV would cost over $400 if it was available, almost double the Blizzack DM-V2 and more than the Hakkapeliitta. I don’t see much for reviews of the Alpin and don’t need the 149mph speed rating so will probably go with Bridgestone. A set of 8 1/2” wheels that I bought for my wife’s Audi have the same seat/bolt pattern and will work with stock Lug Bolts so I’ll give them a try. The hole accommodates the stock bolt without drilling.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Winter wheels/tires

Neither Tire Rack nor Discount Tire will carry them this season. Here’s a response I got from Tire Rack last week on the Pilot Alpin.
Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately we dont have any on order so it does not look like we will stock this tire this winter season”
The Pilot Alpin 5 SUV would cost over $400 if it was available, almost double the Blizzack DM-V2 and more than the Hakkapeliitta. I don’t see much for reviews of the Alpin and don’t need the 149mph speed rating so will probably go with Bridgestone. A set of 8 1/2” wheels that I bought for my wife’s Audi have the same seat/bolt pattern and will work with stock Lug Bolts so I’ll give them a try. The hole accommodates the stock bolt without drilling.
See what the offset is on the the Audi wheels. A little off stock is not a problem, but I wouldn't stray too far.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
I have Blizzacks on my 2013 and am very happy with them. I'm sure they will go places I'm too chicken to go. Plan to get them again when my 2020 gets here.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
20 GLE450, 16 C450, 15 GLK350
If anyone tries one of the tirerack rim/winter tire combos, please let us know how they work out. I have 21" rims and am planning on getting 20" rim with snow tires from them. But I noticed they require different lug bolts, and maybe a spacer of some sort.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV 275/50R20

I found the Michelins on the Walmart site for $343.63: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Michelin-...0aAvYeEALw_wcB. Then found them for about $307 with shipping to me here: https://www.onlinetires.com/products...4-p119141.html. I'm checking to see if they actually have them in stock.

The Pirelli Scorpion Winters in that size are $363.34 from The Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...corpion-winter

My use is 5% snow/ice and 95% cold wet or dry pavement, so I'm leaning toward one of these. If your conditions are snow/ice most of the time the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s are more economical. The Pirellis come in a Mercedes homologated version ("MO"), the Bridgestones do not.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 09-30-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can anyone confirm that theses instructions still apply to the W167 GLE. If I read this correctly the Vehicle will automatically recognize new TPMS Sensors after installing a new set of Winter tires and wheels. This would also work seamlessly when Rotating Wheels. My owners manual is not available.

RESET Air Pressure
1 Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off).
3. Press forward/back button on steering wheel until trip and odometer are displayed.
4. Press UP/DOWN button until tire inflation pressure monitor is displayed
5. Hold down reset button (located on instrument cluster) until MONITOR CURRENT TIRE PRESSURE? Is displayed.
6. Press + button TIRE PRESS, MONITOR ACTIVATED-PRESS. DISPLAY AFTER DRIVING A FEW MINS. is displayed.
7. If REACTIVATE-TIRE PRESS. MONITOR! Appears, repeat relearn procedure.
8. If CHECK TIRES! appears, indicates tire pressure too low, adjust pressures accordingly
Relearn New Sensor Ids.
Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. Vehicle must be driven for at least 10 minutes, while maintaining speed above 15 mph in order for system to learn new sensor IDs. If spare tire sensor ID is being programmed, a properly formatted scan tool is necessary.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New TPMS sensor adaptation

Can anyone confirm that theses instructions still apply to the W167 GLE. If I read this correctly the Vehicle will automatically recognize new TPMS Sensors after installing a new set of Winter tires and wheels. This would also work seamlessly when Rotating Wheels. My owners manual is not available.

RESET Air Pressure
1 Inflate all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.
2. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off).
3. Press forward/back button on steering wheel until trip and odometer are displayed.
4. Press UP/DOWN button until tire inflation pressure monitor is displayed
5. Hold down reset button (located on instrument cluster) until MONITOR CURRENT TIRE PRESSURE? Is displayed.
6. Press + button TIRE PRESS, MONITOR ACTIVATED-PRESS. DISPLAY AFTER DRIVING A FEW MINS. is displayed.
7. If REACTIVATE-TIRE PRESS. MONITOR! Appears, repeat relearn procedure.
8. If CHECK TIRES! appears, indicates tire pressure too low, adjust pressures accordingly
Relearn New Sensor Ids.
Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. Vehicle must be driven for at least 10 minutes, while maintaining speed above 15 mph in order for system to learn new sensor IDs. If spare tire sensor ID is being programmed, a properly formatted scan tool is necessary.
I think it's a little different with MBUX. The manual does not discuss activating new sensors, because of course owners are too dumb and should see their servicing dealer. But here is the basic reset instructions.

The following users liked this post:
tiri (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it's a little different with MBUX. The manual does not discuss activating new sensors, because of course owners are too dumb and should see their servicing dealer. But here is the basic reset instructions.
Greg thanks....Costco just ordered me the Pilot Alpin shipping today for 329 tire and $150 off. My cost was $1238 plus sales tax.
That's mounted and balanced with Nitrogen fill.

Last edited by Ron.s; 10-11-2019 at 02:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
GregW / Oregon (10-11-2019), skw (10-15-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tommyr
If anyone tries one of the tirerack rim/winter tire combos, please let us know how they work out. I have 21" rims and am planning on getting 20" rim with snow tires from them. But I noticed they require different lug bolts, and maybe a spacer of some sort.
I just ordered wheels from Tire Rack to be delivered Monday/ I have bought 3 sets in prior years and have always had good results. They seem to be the only major supplier that has up to date knowledge and a complete package. My order includes 20” wheels, TPMS Sensors, Color matched Valve Stems, lug bolts and hub centering rings. If you buy the tires too, they mount and RF balance free, free shipping included. I bought my tires from Costco since they had the 275/50R20 Michelin Alpin 5 and a $150 promotion credit this month.
i don’t care for the hub rings but unless OEM or Mandrus they are a necessary evil. Mandrus doesn’t have much of a selection of higher et offsets anyway.
Here’s the ones I ordered, et45:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...=Standard+Tire
I have a set of Mercedes caps that I will stick on the center. I put some on my Polaris RZR wheels and they look OEM and are still there after some months of punishment.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV

Greg thanks....Costco just ordered me the Pilot Alpin shipping today for 329 tire and $150 off. My cost was $1238 plus sales tax.
That's a great price! I will check them out tomorrow. That's about $300 less than the Pirelli Scorpion Winters I was considering.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Michelin Alpin 5 SUV 275/50R20 113V Winter tires

Thanks for the tip, Ron! Just ordered a set from Costco - $1,162 w/o installation (having my wheel guy do them). Coming from Illinois. Pirelli Scorpion Winters would be $1,454 from The Tire Rack. Those, which I had 2 sets of with my W166, area also V speed-rated, but with a slightly lower load rating.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:55 PM

GLC63S
Thanks for the tip, Ron! Just ordered a set from Costco - $1,162 w/o installation (having my wheel guy do them). Coming from Illinois. Pirelli Scorpion Winters would be $1,454 from The Tire Rack. Those, which I had 2 sets of with my W166, area also V speed-rated, but with a slightly lower load rating.

Make sure Costco will install them, they usually won’t install anything with a lower load or speed rating. You could take them to another tire shop?

SPEED RATING

Tires will only be installed if the speed rating is the same or higher than the speed rating that the vehicle manufacturer equipped the vehicle with from the factory.

LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY

Tires will only be installed if the load carrying capacity is the same or higher than the load carrying capacity that the vehicle manufacturer equipped the vehicle with from the factory.

Last edited by Henry Stark; 10-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
Make sure Costco will install them, they usually won’t install anything with a lower load or speed rating. You could take them to another tire shop?

SPEED RATING

Tires will only be installed if the speed rating is the same or higher than the speed rating that the vehicle manufacturer equipped the vehicle with from the factory.

LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY

Tires will only be installed if the load carrying capacity is the same or higher than the load carrying capacity that the vehicle manufacturer equipped the vehicle with from the factory.
Thanks, they have a higher load and speed rating than stock. I would normally take them elsewhere for install anyway but the local Costco store has a great staff and the manager came from the shop I used to use. I like the Nitrogen....there is much less fluctuation in tire pressure going from below freezing at home to temps in the 70’s at my vacation home.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tire stuff

SPEED RATING

LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY

The Pirelli 21s that came on my car, and I think all the OEM tires on the GLE, are H speed-rated (130 mph). Many Winter tires, including the Blizzak DM-V2s, are only S-rated (112 mph). The Michelin and Pirelli Winter tires I cited are V-rated (149 mph). As far as the load index, OEMs are 109 (2,271 lb) rated, as are the Pirellis Winters. The Blizzaks and the Michelins are 113 (2,535 lb). Do I need that much speed or load rating? No, but always good to have extra margin.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 PM

GLC63S
The Pirelli 21s that came on my car, and I think all the OEM tires on the GLE, are H speed-rated (130 mph). Many Winter tires, including the Blizzak DM-V2s, are only S-rated (112 mph). The Michelin and Pirelli Winter tires I cited are V-rated (149 mph). As far as the load index, OEMs are 109 (2,271 lb) rated, as are the Pirellis Winters. The Blizzaks and the Michelins are 113 (2,535 lb). Do I need that much speed or load rating? No, but always good to have extra margin.
When you mentioned slightly less load rating I
thought you meant less than stock. I’ve had good luck at Costco they just have very strict rules. Michelin’s are my favorite but for my setup I’ve purchased 20” Vossen hf-3 and are going to run a 255/55/r20 nokian hakkapeliitta 9 studded.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’ve had good luck at Costco they just have very strict rules. Michelin’s are my favorite but for my setup I’ve purchased 20” Vossen hf-3 and are going to run a 255/55/r20 nokian hakkapeliitta 9 studded.
Are you in the far frozen North? I hate studs on bare pavement.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:01 AM

GLC63S
About 980 miles northeast of you. Performance winters don't always cut it up here!

Last edited by Henry Stark; 10-13-2019 at 10:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires - What are you wearing?