GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

high-pitched whistling sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 12:17 PM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by ghostx83
@SEPicks, what dealership was this, and do they have a part number?
silver star MB in New York (awesome dealer) Not sure on part number.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE53
Originally Posted by Daso
can you share who your service advisor was?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 Diamond White E550 Cabriolet P2 Sport Ash interior
Originally Posted by Daso
I’m sure a service bulletin number or part number would be greatly appreciated by many. They did the “tape fix” on mine and obviously it did not work.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:27 PM

GLE53
Ditto, tape fixed didn’t work for me .
Old 11-23-2021, 01:19 PM

GLE53
I just spoke with my service advisor and what sepicks stated is true. There is a new housing part number. Mine has been ordered and waiting to be shipped in and painted!
Old 11-23-2021, 01:32 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by MuddyBlueJeans
I’m sure a service bulletin number or part number would be greatly appreciated by many. They did the “tape fix” on mine and obviously it did not work.
hi. Sorry I left the service doc in my car and will look for the part number when I use car next.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:10 PM

2021 GLE 63
Here’s the part # for the service.

Sorry for the delay, I kept forgetting to take this out of my GLE. Here is the service doc with part # for the mirror housing replacement. The whistling is pretty much gone. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
sibs1 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 03:37 PM
f99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS 450
Originally Posted by Sottosotto
new to the forum here!

Pick up the GLS450 in May and started to hear these whistling noise when I am going over 100km/hr, I did a lot of search (thanks to the forum and this threads), I tried the 3M tape, the O rings, neither of them worked. so I came across with some YouTube videos about similar issues with Volvo and Lexus, what they did to fix this problem is to use the cabinet door bumps. it worked! We drove over 1,200km the past week for road trip and the noise is gone. I agree this issue is design flaw and something to do with aero dynamic. so, here are the pictures! I basically stick the bumps all around, but I will slowly take them off one by one, and pinpoint which area really caused the issue. here are some pictures. hope this will help everyone until MB has a permanent fix.
Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback. I just picked up a ‘22 GLS 450 and discovered the same whistling noise above 55mph. Oddly, it disappears as long as I have the air flow on 1 or above. If I switch it to 0, then I hear the whistling noise in full force. Will be taking it back in for a look since I’ve also got a rattling noise in the trunk and a slow loading touchscreen. Bummer
Imanone (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 04:49 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by f99
Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback. I just picked up a ‘22 GLS 450 and discovered the same whistling noise above 55mph. Oddly, it disappears as long as I have the air flow on 1 or above. If I switch it to 0, then I hear the whistling noise in full force. Will be taking it back in for a look since I’ve also got a rattling noise in the trunk and a slow loading touchscreen. Bummer
I picked up my 450 in October, but thankfully, have not heard the whistling sound that you have. I do, however, have the slow loading touchscreen. It doesn't do it all the time and when it does, I lose the rear cam and eventually it will load. Can you let me know what MB does for you? I took my wife's car into the dealer the other day and asked about it and the service guy said they had some issues with MBUX which was fixed with an update, but my car already had the update. Hope they figure it out and hope you might remember to let me know. Good luck. PS, I love my SUV other than the occasional screen issue.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:25 PM
f99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLS 450
Originally Posted by Imanone
I picked up my 450 in October, but thankfully, have not heard the whistling sound that you have. I do, however, have the slow loading touchscreen. It doesn't do it all the time and when it does, I lose the rear cam and eventually it will load. Can you let me know what MB does for you? I took my wife's car into the dealer the other day and asked about it and the service guy said they had some issues with MBUX which was fixed with an update, but my car already had the update. Hope they figure it out and hope you might remember to let me know. Good luck. PS, I love my SUV other than the occasional screen issue.
I’ll definitely let you know how it goes. Service appointment set for Jan 12. I bet it’s related to the chipset shortage, which in turn, seems to be one of the reasons there are no more 580s and AMGs for 2022. Our original order in August was for 580 and the factory automatically adjusted everyone’s build to a 450 without warning. Still a fantastic vehicle but anyone who got a V8 in 2021 has struck gold!
Imanone (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by f99
I’ll definitely let you know how it goes. Service appointment set for Jan 12. I bet it’s related to the chipset shortage, which in turn, seems to be one of the reasons there are no more 580s and AMGs for 2022. Our original order in August was for 580 and the factory automatically adjusted everyone’s build to a 450 without warning. Still a fantastic vehicle but anyone who got a V8 in 2021 has struck gold!
I’m more than satisfied with my 6 cyl. I do a lot of high speed Interstate driving and the power has been excellent. Not sure how a chip might cause a slow load, but who knows. Hope they get you settled.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,106 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I’m more than satisfied with my 6 cyl. I do a lot of high speed Interstate driving and the power has been excellent. Not sure how a chip might cause a slow load, but who knows. Hope they get you settled.
I am guessing because the chips are needed for the cylinder deactivation feature on the V8s. I believe the majority of the chips were held so it can be used in the EQS. I can't imagine how many chips that car requires.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I am guessing because the chips are needed for the cylinder deactivation feature on the V8s. I believe the majority of the chips were held so it can be used in the EQS. I can't imagine how many chips that car requires.
I misspoke. I was thinking about the chips and the slow loading screen, not the engine.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,106 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I misspoke. I was thinking about the chips and the slow loading screen, not the engine.
no no I read it wrong actually.
Imanone (12-15-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE450
2022 GLE450 picked up in October has the whistling mirror issue. Service department swapped out the mirror cap and the whistle is louder. Only option is to return the vehicle. What a nice vehicle to have such an annoying issue. Ruins the MB experience.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
There is something that I find puzzling regarding this whistling noise emanating from the driver’s side mirror. Since it is a very well documented problem, simply because it is a very widespread problem, why are not all service departments replacing the mirror housing with the corrected part? I would hope that ALL MB service centers have received a service bulletin stating what part to order if a customer reports a whistling noise. There is a part # and a proven fix to this annoying problem. I do realize that it may not be a safety issue, however, Mercedes Benz should be on the cutting edge of customer service as well. The name Mercedes denotes a high end luxury vehicle and their customer service should be commensurate with that reputation.
I am waiting until March to bring my GLE in for its first service, I am hopeful by then that they will have their act together and immediately order the replacement cover. I also hope that the painting of the cover looks perfect and is indistinguishable from the body color. My GLE is white so I am not anticipating any issues.
Thanks for the part # , this way I can give it to the service advisor just in case he attempts another remedy for this annoying problem.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
There is something that I find puzzling regarding this whistling noise emanating from the driver’s side mirror. Since it is a very well documented problem, simply because it is a very widespread problem, why are not all service departments replacing the mirror housing with the corrected part? I would hope that ALL MB service centers have received a service bulletin stating what part to order if a customer reports a whistling noise. There is a part # and a proven fix to this annoying problem. I do realize that it may not be a safety issue, however, Mercedes Benz should be on the cutting edge of customer service as well. The name Mercedes denotes a high end luxury vehicle and their customer service should be commensurate with that reputation.
I am waiting until March to bring my GLE in for its first service, I am hopeful by then that they will have their act together and immediately order the replacement cover. I also hope that the painting of the cover looks perfect and is indistinguishable from the body color. My GLE is white so I am not anticipating any issues.
Thanks for the part # , this way I can give it to the service advisor just in case he attempts another remedy for this annoying problem.
My 2020 and 2021 GLE didn’t have the problem so it could still be a small percentage of those produced. There is still no excuse for such a low cost issue that seems to be ongoing. If you haven’t thought about lead time it might be a factor. Despite lower production, some components are still in short supply. My active rear hatch strut started hanging up and only opening half way. The replacement has been on order for almost 2 months now. Also Service Departments in my area are sometimes 30-60 days out at times for appointments.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE450
My guess, the issue is low on the priority list. It is a fraction of the # units they sell. There are likely other challenges with higher on the priority list consuming engineering, procurement, quality control, just to deliver operating new vehicles and without new vehicles, it presents an unsustainable financial burn rate. Spending $ to fix an issue that doesn’t prevent the vehicle from driving, doesn’t look like it is within MB’s current capabilities. Interestingly the opposite of that is exactly why I chose to purchase the GLE 450. I figured MB would be the best manufacturer to deliver a quality new vehicle in this current supply chain constraint environment. Lesson learned. Hope this helps someone else. If you are unlucky enough to win a mirror whistle unit, the successful repair rate looks to be low, but the dealer will try with a replacement cap. It may, or most likely will not according to this thread, fix the issue. It hasn’t been resolved since 2020 and MB continues to push out the same design on the GLE and GLS (not sure about the G). There’s very little MB is doing about the issue at the moment. So if you like to gamble, or don’t care about a whistle in your left ear while driving +60MPH, go for it and by a GLE or GLS. Most everything else is nice, it’s a good SUV, with potentially an annoying whistle. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:54 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Hi Ron.s, thanks for your feedback. Looking at some information regarding which vehicles people should wait to buy, the GLE is right in the middle. The reason for that is the demand has significantly driven up the selling price. It has nothing to do with build quality/quality control, it is a very desirable vehicle. I am a very fussy person and I like things to be perfect. It does bother me if the mirror housing creates a whistling noise, or if the fuel filler door is not correctly aligned, or it the chrome trim around the front and rear doors are not perfectly aligned where they meet. I am not a MB aficionado like many on this site. I do believe however, that if the Japanese manufacturers can produce cars with less initial problems, the German manufacturers can do so as well. In history we can draw numerous similarities between the two cultures.
That being said, MB needs to step up its game in the area of customer service as well. My dealership has been always fair and I believe honest with me, my very limited experience dealing with MB corporate customer care left me somewhat unimpressed. Again, it was a one time call.
The American auto manufacturers vastly improved their product because of the superior quality and customer service of the Japanese manufacturers. The Japanese initially entered the market building tiny econocars, they gradually moved to somewhat larger cars, never sacrificing their build quality. Now they dominate, or have a huge presence in every segment, cars, luxury cars, sport cars, trucks and SUVs.
Mercedes does have a certain panache which IMHO, was not felt by me when test driving a Lexus. My wife who does not know anything about cars came away with the exact same feelings after our test drives. Today, when almost all cars are quite reliable, the little things become more prominent. I never heard a Lexus owner complain about how he was treated by Lexus, unfortunately I cannot say the same thing about a MB owner. Have a healthy , safe, and Happy New Year.
Ron.s (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Our experience with Mercedes Benz since 2004 has been overall a very satisfactory one. Our family has owned at least 15 of the cars and SUV's since that time and we have been treated fairly well each and every time. Their vehicles are far from perfect, but each time we have had issues, our local dealerships have treated us with respect and have attempted to solve our problems in a very professional manner. In 2018, we had lease a new 2018 E400 Convertible. After 7 months, MB decided to re-purchase the vehicle due continued mechanical and operational issues. At no time, did MB customer service gave us an ounce of trouble or pushback. The whole process took about 2 months to reach an amicable solution. Did we lease another MB? Absolutely we lease another CLS 450 back in 2018. Our new 2022 GLE 450 4Matic encountered an oil pressure issue the first day that we took delivery. The dealership repaired within two days. It happened again shortly thereafter and the SUV spent about 9 days in the shop while the dealership worked out solutions with MB's Engineering department. The shop foreman and the service advisor repeatedly kept us informed. When I went to pick up the SUV, the foreman showed me the lengthy email threads that were issued between the dealership and MB Engineering. We love our first SUV and like others have stated in these pages, no vehicle is perfect. I remember years ago having a BMW 5 series where they encountered window seal noice issues. The dealership replaced 4 new sets of seals until they got it right. I have worked for MB here in South Florida and have met a few former Lexus owners that were somewhat disatisfied with their Lexus products. So, each manufacturer has their issues and they all attempt to solve them in a professional way. We looked at Audi, Lexus and BMW recently while we waited for our GLE to come in. Each dealership treated us very well to get our business. But at the end, we chose to stay with MB. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Last edited by haibieb; 12-23-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:20 PM

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
2024 GLE 580
So the 2022's are still doing it? They didn't correct?
Old 12-25-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63S sedan
Originally Posted by bkushner
So the 2022's are still doing it? They didn't correct?
Yes. Picked up a GLE450 about two months ago and the whistling sound is there above 50-55mph or so. Going to try holding off taking it in until first service since it’s not noticeable with the radio on but I may run out of patience by then.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:34 PM

2021 GLE 350
Thanks to everyone for you feedback. I'm new to the forum but I've been following for a while. I get the same whistling sound on my '21 GLE 350 around 55mph but it becomes very noticeable at 70 mph. I'll address this with the dealer when I go in for my first service.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jmarv
Yes. Picked up a GLE450 about two months ago and the whistling sound is there above 50-55mph or so. Going to try holding off taking it in until first service since it’s not noticeable with the radio on but I may run out of patience by then.
Are you getting an actual whistling sound or extreme wind noise?
Old 01-18-2022, 01:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Are you getting an actual whistling sound or extreme wind noise?
my 2020 GLE 350 is a very strong whistle sound at 70+ MPH. Has done it since new now over 50,000 miles. No luck at dealer
Robert

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: high-pitched whistling sound