GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

high-pitched whistling sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
gle
I thought the "electrical tape fix" was working but the noise was back this morning so I added another layer of tape to my $70,000+ truck. Just one of many small issues with this car that all add up. Starting to really regret this purchase.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:49 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by mbgle
I thought the "electrical tape fix" was working but the noise was back this morning so I added another layer of tape to my $70,000+ truck. Just one of many small issues with this car that all add up. Starting to really regret this purchase.
Have you brought it back to the dealer yet?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM

gle
Originally Posted by tinman831
Have you brought it back to the dealer yet?
Not yet with the current world situation. I did e-mail my salesman right away and he claimed that he spoke with the service manager and they never heard of the issue. I'm going to ask for a replacement side mirror because I don't think the passenger one makes the sound so maybe I got a defective one?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
I drove around a bit the other day and since we have very high winds this week, I did hear the low-level-kettle-whistle that this thread referenced.
Normally I have music playing so it won't bother me too much but I do fear that it will become more pronounced in the future.
For the time being, however, it is not a priority worth risking everyone's well-being for, so I will wait it out.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 MB GLE 450
What kind of issue you have for your transmission? I have 2020 GLE 450 since last Nov. I feel the obvious kick downshift from 4,3,2 when applying break. Did you go to dealer for your transmission issue?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 580 2020
Does anyone know how to remove the cover? I'm interested in opening and check the inside.
I found out how to remove the mirror, but not the cover yet.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Just recently I completed a cross country trip in the GLE. Never really had the need to before but I decided to roll my windows down while cruising down the highway. There’s definitely a whistle coming from the mirror on the drivers side which is barely noticeable with the windows up. Hopefully MB will provide a solution to this issue.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:47 PM

gle
Originally Posted by tinman831
Just recently I completed a cross country trip in the GLE. Never really had the need to before but I decided to roll my windows down while cruising down the highway. There’s definitely a whistle coming from the mirror on the drivers side which is barely noticeable with the windows up. Hopefully MB will provide a solution to this issue.
Its not barely noticeable for me with the window up. Can easily hear it with music off. I’m hoping for a solution too. We should all complain to the dealers.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:33 AM

2020 GLE 450
2020 GLE 450 whistling sound

I picked up my new 2020 GLE 450 five weeks ago (built in USA). There is a whistling noise that seems to be coming from the drivers door just about level to my left ear. It starts at 75 mph. It is VERY annoying. I keep trying to roll up the window thinking it must be open a crack. Nope. I'm hesitant to take it to the dealership to replace the seals (or whatever it is) for fear that tearing it apart will make it worse. Glad I'm not the only one. But, has anyone besides the driver with whistling roof rack gotten a solid diagnosis and resolution?
Old 05-23-2020, 03:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLE 450
No resolution here. Local dealership didn't believe us at first, and finally on a windy day they heard it. But they couldn't pinpoint where it was. They had it for several days, they were taping up the window, the door, etc. in order to find it. They though it was the seals and so they completely replaced them on the door, but the whistle is still there. They didn't make it worse, though. And the seals all look properly seated and everything when they were done, so I'm not sorry we at least tried it.

We are holding off on taking that in again until M-B actually figures it out and knows how to fix it.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:46 AM

gle
Originally Posted by auntieshoque
No resolution here. Local dealership didn't believe us at first, and finally on a windy day they heard it. But they couldn't pinpoint where it was. They had it for several days, they were taping up the window, the door, etc. in order to find it. They though it was the seals and so they completely replaced them on the door, but the whistle is still there. They didn't make it worse, though. And the seals all look properly seated and everything when they were done, so I'm not sorry we at least tried it.

We are holding off on taking that in again until M-B actually figures it out and knows how to fix it.
Thanks for the reply. Unreal that they can't figure it out. Based on this forum post, it is obviously a fairly common problem. I believe its the mirror. I'm going to request that they replace it. I don't hear the noise on the passenger side at all.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Gle 350
I purchased a 2020 GLE350 a few months ago. Has anyone else noticed a whistling sound outside the drivers window when driving above 70mph? I don't hear it at lower speeds but once I get on the highway, I can certainly hear it. It's not overwhelming but certainly noticeable and annoying. I had a 2017 GLE and this was not an issue. I didn't order the acoustic comfort package but I didn't think I would hear so much noise outside the window on a $70,000+ car.
I also have a 2020 GLE that I picked up in November of 2019 and have the same issue with wind sound coming through the driver side window. They replace the mirror and they also replace the weather stripping but I still have it. They told me that that's just how it is which I find hard to believe on a $70,000 truck
Old 06-05-2020, 07:22 PM

gle
Originally Posted by Marisa Ippoliti
I also have a 2020 GLE that I picked up in November of 2019 and have the same issue with wind sound coming through the driver side window. They replace the mirror and they also replace the weather stripping but I still have it. They told me that that's just how it is which I find hard to believe on a $70,000 truck
Thanks for the reply, I’m really disappointed that the replacement mirror and weather stripping didn’t work as that was my plan. I’m so frustrated about this noise. I was driving today and I don’t even need to look at the speedometer to know that I’m going 65mph, I can just listen for the whistle. Has anyone had a satisfactory fix?
Old 06-08-2020, 07:28 AM
Banned

A
So I am starting now to notice the noise as well. Not only can I hear wind when driving on a highway, I can also hear a change in the sound throughput when driving over obstacles.
As it if the door is not aligned well and is further flexing when I am driving over bumps or climbing on a curb. I might have to take her in, because it was definitely not this way before.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:59 AM

gle
Originally Posted by bad habit
So I am starting now to notice the noise as well. Not only can I hear wind when driving on a highway, I can also hear a change in the sound throughput when driving over obstacles.
As it if the door is not aligned well and is further flexing when I am driving over bumps or climbing on a curb. I might have to take her in, because it was definitely not this way before.
The 2020 GLE has the most wind noise out of ever car I have ever owned and that includes the 2015 GLE. In addition to the whistling, you can hear wind gusts while driving all the time. I'm not sure it is the the shape of the new design, mirrors or what but it is terrible.
The following users liked this post:
Yavuz Keskin (12-14-2021)
Old 06-08-2020, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Wind noise

The 2020 GLE has the most wind noise out of ever car I have ever owned and that includes the 2015 GLE. In addition to the whistling, you can hear wind gusts while driving all the time. I'm not sure it is the the shape of the new design, mirrors or what but it is terrible.
I have not noticed that. Only thing in that regard for me is buffeting with front window down.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:15 AM

gle
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I have not noticed that. Only thing in that regard for me is buffeting with front window down.
I'm happy for you. Not sure how that comment is helpful though. You have mentioned a few times on this thread that you don't have this issue so we get it. Sorry if this comes of jerky but it seems people are frustrated with the issues (including me).

Last edited by mbgle; 06-08-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
I'm happy for you. Not sure how that comment is helpful though. You have mentioned a few times on this thread that you don't have this issue so we get it. Sorry if this comes of jerky but it seems people are frustrated with the issues (including me).
I wanted to bring up the buffeting issue, which has not been widely discussed.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I wanted to bring up the buffeting issue, which has not been widely discussed.
So with the warmer weather, I have noticed some minor creaking in the drivers door when turning cornings. I've isolated it to to the black plastic interior trim around the top of the front doors. When I squeeze it, I can reproduce the creaking I hear in the plastic. This trim piece is not rock solid and can flex slightly. Although I haven't notice any wind whistle sound in my GLE, I can't help but notice that the two window gaskets are attached to this piece of trim. (see the photo)

I'm curious, on the GLE's that have the whistling sound, have you check this piece of trim on your vehicle, is it firmly attached? Could it be a the cause of the door gaskets not getting an airtight seal?
Old 06-08-2020, 01:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by bad habit
I've actually started noticing this the past month or so as well, which is when the weather here has really warmed up. I'm going to check that piece of trim that TexAg91 mentioned to see if ours is shifting, and whether that might be the problem. Our dealership said they replaced all of the seals, but now that I think about it, they were concentrating on the window more than the door, so they might not have looked at the door seals themselves. Will report back if I find anything, and if the dealership thinks this might be an issue (our dealership seems to be more interested in working with us than what some of you experienced... which is too bad - dealerships selling this caliber of vehicle should really be doing everything they can).
Old 06-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Banned

A
@TexAg91 thanks I will have a look. I hear creaking also when driving over obstacles e.g. curbs and it is definitely coming form the driver side door
Old 06-09-2020, 12:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLE V167 300d
I live in Taiwan and the road quality in Taiwan is not very good.
I hear the minor creaking in the drivers door around 3 month after I got the car (2019/09) and I still can't find the root casue.
Refer the info from TexAg91,I will check the plastic interior trim is rock solid or not.
And I will also let local dealership help me confirm this is the root cause or not.

For the whistling noise, I hear that sound 2 times when I am on the highway.
And I do one change and the sound not exist any more until now.
But I am not sure this is the root cause or not.

What I do are:
1. Close the mirror and enable it. (this is the thing to confirm the sound is come from mirror itself)
2. Change the driver side mirror angle.

After that, I don't hear the whistling noise sound any more, but I also can't reproduce the issue again.
This is why I am not sure the whistling noise is casue by the gap between driver side mirror and cover.

Maybe you can have a try and confirm modify mirror angle can help you fix the issue or not.

Ps..my car is 2019 GLE V167 300d and I am only 167cm.
The seat position is set by car itself include mirror setting.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:09 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
X-Posting this from X167 forum...

I got my car into the service yesterday with less than 400 miles (not very fond of) and they did acknowledge this issue. They said it was coming from the side mirror and they test drove the car with the side mirrors folded and the noise went away. They also test drove a brand new GLS in the dealership and apparently the exact same thing happened. They said they'll notify MBUSA about this issue and hopefully a service campaign will come out since I see on this forum that its a somewhat common issue. This really should not happen on any car, especially on a 100k car. Needless to say I'm pretty baffled about this whole issue and I guess we're SOL until MBUSA comes out with a fix.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:35 AM

gle
Originally Posted by SEPicks
X-Posting this from X167 forum...

I got my car into the service yesterday with less than 400 miles (not very fond of) and they did acknowledge this issue. They said it was coming from the side mirror and they test drove the car with the side mirrors folded and the noise went away. They also test drove a brand new GLS in the dealership and apparently the exact same thing happened. They said they'll notify MBUSA about this issue and hopefully a service campaign will come out since I see on this forum that its a somewhat common issue. This really should not happen on any car, especially on a 100k car. Needless to say I'm pretty baffled about this whole issue and I guess we're SOL until MBUSA comes out with a fix.
This is good news I guess. I have no clue how long it takes for a service campaign to roll out. Anyway, I tied a rag around the driver's side mirror yesterday and drove and the noise was mostly gone. Obviously, it think we are all narrowing it down to the mirror as suggested.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
These new gen GLE's have too many issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: high-pitched whistling sound