GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 450 issues list

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE 450
2020 GLE 450 issues list

Hi everyone! I have been busy taking care of my aging mother and disabled brother but as I'm doing that I drive my new GLE quite a bit. Current mileage: 5564.

I probably won't remember my entire list for this post, but just want to try because I'd love to learn if anyone can save me a little time (don't have much of it as I'm always driving for mom/brother) if you know of solutions/why/what MBUSA is saying about these quirks:

- Cruise control: Will randomly lose power and just stop allowing CC to work. I have to manually turn it off (while not working) then back on and it often still does not operate correctly until I'm past the trouble spot. For instance, in Houston there is a stretch of 99/Grand Pkwy between 249 and 45 (on way to airport which I do 2X every other week) where it completely powers off (while still engaged and saying it's on) and won't really work again until close to 45. I can't determine any trigger except the location (and maybe certain curves in highway? - I hope not!) These glitches are unrelated to speed limit signs as the ones below are.
- Speed limit assist: Does not always work right. On Harris County toll road to airport, there are no speed limit signs when I get on and for quite some time. Parts of that road it thinks SL is 75 and others it thinks it's 35. Also, often misreads or calculates SL of feeder road instead of highway I am on. Honestly, would be nice if there was an easy/quick way to report incorrect limit readings because I've noticed they can't all be sign triggered, some must be GPS triggered. Not gonna lie, when CC and SL aren't working right, it can be downright scary/dangerous. It's often a sudden switch and brakes suddenly slow car down unexpectedly. I don't appreciate it and have learned to be ready to suddenly switch CC off when this happens to avoid a dangerous situation. Should not have to do this.
- Driver Assist Safety cameras: On the upside, the driver assist safety cameras did save me from a potential accident. Cars in front slammed brakes at highway merger right as I was doing a sideview headcheck for merging cars to my right. Beeping went crazy and car braked to a stop itself. In the split second after the beeping started, I would have hit by time I saw, but car stopped for me so I just continued with hard braking but it would have done it all for me I think. That's absolutely wonderful!
- That pesky key!!!! WHY oh WHY can't they fix the auto unlock yet? It worked fine in older models. Now I will have hands full and it only works about 30% of the time. I really just want it to work! Getting stalled outside car to open door in rain is not what I paid for. Worse: Rain and wrangling 2 dogs in/out of car at vet. P.S. If it has gate kick-to-open option (unsure), it has never worked. I tried!
- GPS directions: UGH! Is better with typed addresses but when I am already driving and want to find a Chevron, can't even make that simple/easy. Also misses locations (newer ones) a lot. I'd say at least 2 year delay. Once set to destination, works great. Do wish it gave several route options w/ time like Google Maps does so brilliantly. Getting destination via voice or even typing names instead of addresses - huge PITA. Needs a major fix. In this day and age, the tech should be easier to update and keep up with. Our phones do. No excuse. ALSO-I'd love a quick and easy way to drop a destination from my phone to my car nav. I do love the augmented reality nav (though sometimes it places the aug too late for me to get over in time with traffic).
- Audio glitch: My audio just stopped working randomly a week or two ago while driving and nothing I could figure out fixed it. No sound whatsoever including radio and satellite. Turned off/on and didn't work. Only came back after leaving car off overnight. Next morning was going to call dealer but it was back on. I had tried off, let it sit 10 min, turn on again several times day before. Strange gremlins.
- "Instrument cluster" dash menu: Still haven't figured out (no time really!) but seems the dash menu changes what options are available even on a single theme. For instance, I'll be looking for one set of options in center "instrument cluster" screen and it's in my regular theme and drive mode but options in center are completely different/new to me. It randomly went back to the one I'm familiar with but when it happens again, I'll have no clue what's happening. LOL.
- EQ Boost: Can this be disabled permanently/long term? Or at least the engine shut off while stopped? Currently, I have to manually disable it every time I get in the car and it engages. I've found I don't care for it much.
-Random glitches: Occasionally my new GLE randomly glitches and then I never see that particular glitch again. I kinda expected that. Price of being the guinea pig.

There's more, but that's all I can remember at the moment. Any tips/easy fixes/shared frustrations? I really can't take it 45 min - 1 hour away to dealer. Most days I travel the other direction to take care of my aging mom then have to get home to care for my boys. Plus, can the dealer fix any of this? I'm guessing not.

I still LOVE the car and the amazing pros outweigh the cons. BUT, I'm also glad I leased it instead of buying. Hopefully they improve it soon with software updates as well as new models. The S-550 is growing on me as I move closer to retirement, more passive income, and empty nest. Thanks for taking the time!

Last edited by tjobi; 01-14-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
My GLE has been in the shop since December 19th, soon to be 1 month.
I have a 20 or so bullet point list of items they needed to look at. I will provide a scan of my sheet, and their solutions to my issues. One month of being in a GLC300 is getting annoying. I want my bigger and better car back.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:09 PM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by tiri
My GLE has been in the shop since December 19th, soon to be 1 month.
I have a 20 or so bullet point list of items they needed to look at. I will provide a scan of my sheet, and their solutions to my issues. One month of being in a GLC300 is getting annoying. I want my bigger and better car back.
Would love to see your list!!! Wow! I thought I was alone.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Now: Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Maserati Quattroporte (formerly Alfa Romeo Giulia and 911)
Wow, first the problems opening the vehicle with the FOB, then Cooper tires and then this... Boy I'm having second thoughts about ordering. I'm concerned.

The FOB problem seems like it should have been addressed as a top priority
Old 01-14-2020, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by galret
Wow, first the problems opening the vehicle with the FOB, then Cooper tires and then this... Boy I'm having second thoughts about ordering. I'm concerned.

The FOB problem seems like it should have been addressed as a top priority
There are a lot of owners on here who have no issues, myself included. Regarding the fob issue it happens on mine now and then, I just wiggle the key in my pocket and it works, no big issue. It is caused by the key going to sleep to prevent theft and not re=awakening.
The following users liked this post:
antigeek (01-18-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 S560 4MATIC
For the item you labeled "EQ Boost", I think you may actually mean the Start/Stop feature, right? (It turns your engine off at stop lights.)

My dealer told me that if you toggle the feature OFF it will stay off unless you choose the Eco drive mode. Once you go to Eco (or if you just leave it in Eco) the feature will turn back on the next time you start the engine.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by Philamg
There are a lot of owners on here who have no issues, myself included. Regarding the fob issue it happens on mine now and then, I just wiggle the key in my pocket and it works, no big issue. It is caused by the key going to sleep to prevent theft and not re=awakening.
I second that. Thus far I haven't run into any issues (beyond the 8 months it took me to actually acquire the vehicle). I shared Galret's concern seeing some of the other issues here, but as Philamg noted, the vast majority of owners are happy. Like anything else, people are far more likely to seek out a forum for help with issues than they are to praise a company or vehicle.
bad habit (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by tjobi
- GPS directions: UGH! Is better with typed addresses but when I am already driving and want to find a Chevron, can't even make that simple/easy. Also misses locations (newer ones) a lot. I'd say at least 2 year delay. Once set to destination, works great. Do wish it gave several route options w/ time like Google Maps does so brilliantly. Getting destination via voice or even typing names instead of addresses - huge PITA. Needs a major fix. In this day and age, the tech should be easier to update and keep up with. Our phones do. No excuse. ALSO-I'd love a quick and easy way to drop a destination from my phone to my car nav. I do love the augmented reality nav (though sometimes it places the aug too late for me to get over in time with traffic).
Have you updated your maps? If you allowed an auto update, you still need to do a manual update to get the latest audio files that go along with it.

Also, you can always hit the "me" button on your overhead console and ask Mercedes to send you the location of something you are looking for, out to your Nav system, I use that function a lot.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Speednet
For the item you labeled "EQ Boost", I think you may actually mean the Start/Stop feature, right? (It turns your engine off at stop lights.)

My dealer told me that if you toggle the feature OFF it will stay off unless you choose the Eco drive mode. Once you go to Eco (or if you just leave it in Eco) the feature will turn back on the next time you start the engine.
It will come back on each time you turn the engine off, default position is ON, nearly all new cars are the same, has to be turned off each time you start the car but no need to in 450 as it is seemless.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Originally Posted by bigpern23
I second that. Thus far I haven't run into any issues (beyond the 8 months it took me to actually acquire the vehicle). I shared Galret's concern seeing some of the other issues here, but as Philamg noted, the vast majority of owners are happy. Like anything else, people are far more likely to seek out a forum for help with issues than they are to praise a company or vehicle.
Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
Have you updated your maps? If you allowed an auto update, you still need to do a manual update to get the latest audio files that go along with it.

Also, you can always hit the "me" button on your overhead console and ask Mercedes to send you the location of something you are looking for, out to your Nav system, I use that function a lot.
I am also very happy, and have had no issues - just quirks which, in time, will be solved with software updates.
The navigation, however, is not great. I wrote about that before, it is up to date but much behind, 2 years as someone said is a good estimate imo.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 S560 4MATIC
It will come back on each time you turn the engine off, default position is ON, nearly all new cars are the same, has to be turned off each time you start the car but no need to in 450 as it is seemless.
I'll be able to verify this in a couple of weeks when my GLE 580 is delivered.
galret (01-16-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 PM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Speednet

Yes, that's what I meant. It says something on the instrument cluster when it's powering up the battery though to do that and when that surges (while I'm driving 75 down the highway) it seems to cancel my cruise control. It's really weird. I lose speed fast and hard. The first few times it was dangerous but I've gotten used to it and anticipate it in the areas I know it's going to do it.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:27 PM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by WA3CUJ

Yep, updated maps about 4-6 weeks ago and it's on automatic. AWESOME tip on the overhead console, thanks. I had no idea, even after what seemed like an excruciatingly thorough tour/demo of the vehicle upon delivery.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:30 PM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by bad habit
I am also very happy, and have had no issues - just quirks which, in time, will be solved with software updates.
The navigation, however, is not great. I wrote about that before, it is up to date but much behind, 2 years as someone said is a good estimate imo.
Even with my long list, most of it is minor annoyance and a lot should be fixed with software patches. I still LOVE it and I'm at almost 6500 miles since Sept 2019 delivery. I drive it a lot these last couple of months!!! So glad I'm driving this if I'm going to be a road warrior. I did get a mouse in it the other day. But I got a humane trap and caught it in less than an hour, then released. No return visits so far. LOL. We had some cold days and it was a juvenile so probably just tried to get warm.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
New bug since last week: TuneIn screen would say "Reconnected to Online Services", but never actually activate. Turning the system off from Settings menu and turning it back on doesn't help. Only fix I found so far is to turn the car off and back on.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Even with my long list, most of it is minor annoyance and a lot should be fixed with software patches. I still LOVE it and I'm at almost 6500 miles since Sept 2019 delivery. I drive it a lot these last couple of months!!! So glad I'm driving this if I'm going to be a road warrior. I did get a mouse in it the other day. But I got a humane trap and caught it in less than an hour, then released. No return visits so far. LOL. We had some cold days and it was a juvenile so probably just tried to get warm.
You might disconnect the battery for a minute and see if that helps. With your mileage you likely have software/coding conflicts that are causing some of the issues. Put your driver seat foreword-pull the plastic cover off-10mm wrench, remove the ground cable-wait a minute or so-hook it back up and see what happens. Has your car software been updated?-there are a number of updates since I got mine in April 19. FUP 2 and the Radar-Camera sync were 2 important ones.
If you are uncomfortable doing this a trip to the dealer is the other option. My dealer did the battery disconnect for me the first time.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE450
Windshield Wipers

I just picked up my new 2020 GLE450 and absolutely love it. My only real pain is the pattern of the windshield wipers.
The rain sensing wipers in my prior 2017 GLC43 worked exactly as I expected, but the new GLE has a very specific pattern. When driving in the rain they will start (with the wipers set to the lowest setting on the stalk) slowly and allow the windshield to get completely saturated to the point you can barely see and then finally clear it. After about three minutes like this they all of a sudden go near max speed for exactly four full passes, pause for about three seconds and then four full swipes again and will continue to do this until you manually turn them off. They even continue in this manner if the rain stops... Am I the only one with this issue?
Old 02-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
20 GLE450, 16 C450, 15 GLK350
Originally Posted by Dan.L
I just picked up my new 2020 GLE450 and absolutely love it. My only real pain is the pattern of the windshield wipers.
The rain sensing wipers in my prior 2017 GLC43 worked exactly as I expected, but the new GLE has a very specific pattern. When driving in the rain they will start (with the wipers set to the lowest setting on the stalk) slowly and allow the windshield to get completely saturated to the point you can barely see and then finally clear it. After about three minutes like this they all of a sudden go near max speed for exactly four full passes, pause for about three seconds and then four full swipes again and will continue to do this until you manually turn them off. They even continue in this manner if the rain stops... Am I the only one with this issue?
That's not how they work for me, assuming you are talking about the slowest intermittent setting. Generally works perfectly in lighter rain, never gets to max speed. Sometimes I have to advance to the high intermittent setting. One thing that took some getting used to, the low intermittent setting is actually where I thought OFF would be (everything bump on knob that rotates is aligned with bump on stalk).
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, that's what I meant. It says something on the instrument cluster when it's powering up the battery though to do that and when that surges (while I'm driving 75 down the highway) it seems to cancel my cruise control. It's really weird. I lose speed fast and hard. The first few times it was dangerous but I've gotten used to it and anticipate it in the areas I know it's going to do it.
Do you have a lower serial number and the Driver Assistance Package... like under 70,000? This almost seems like some of an issue I had before the Radar was calibrated to the camera with a TSB update. If you got one of those earlier builds that were sitting in storage maybe the dealer missed some updates...just a thought.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:08 PM

'19 S560, '19 C63 Cab
Mine has the FOB issues, Distronic trying to stop on Toll roads where it thinks are booths but it is, and has been electronic collection for many years. Also this is to me a major flaw and I don;t know how to override settings to make it stop.At this location, 4813 Rowlett Rd Rowlett TX 75088 (Latitude 32.9036 and Longitude -96.5695), traveling in the south bound lanes, the vehicle will alarming slam on the brakes and attempt an emergency stop. I have been lucky that no one was behind me when this happens. This is the most dangerous and alarming issue I have had with this vehicle and is repeatable at this location.

I have had it read a 15 to 35 MPH on while on the highways and the limit is 70 or 75. In these situations, it just slows down gradually, and a tap on the gas will put it back up to speed. A few times I have had it adjust the max speed to those lower speeds but that is not as common as it reading a sign someplace and trying to adopt a slower speed.

I hope they get to work on this because these type of issues seem to affect all of the new model cars.

Last numbers of vin are 063441. I ordered in March 3 2019 and it arrived on June 6th, 2019

Last edited by tphillips63; 02-10-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tphillips63
Mine has the FOB issues, Distronic trying to stop on Toll roads where it thinks are booths but it is, and has been electronic collection for many years. Also this is to me a major flaw and I don;t know how to override settings to make it stop.At this location, 4813 Rowlett Rd Rowlett TX 75088 (Latitude 32.9036 and Longitude -96.5695), traveling in the south bound lanes, the vehicle will alarming slam on the brakes and attempt an emergency stop. I have been lucky that no one was behind me when this happens. This is the most dangerous and alarming issue I have had with this vehicle and is repeatable at this location.

I have had it read a 15 to 35 MPH on while on the highways and the limit is 70 or 75. In these situations, it just slows down gradually, and a tap on the gas will put it back up to speed. A few times I have had it adjust the max speed to those lower speeds but that is not as common as it reading a sign someplace and trying to adopt a slower speed.

I hope they get to work on this because these type of issues seem to affect all of the new model cars.

Last numbers of vin are 063441. I ordered in March 3 2019 and it arrived on June 6th, 2019
I'll bet they haven't done the Radar/Camera update....mine was doing the same. You can turn off the route based speed in the driver settings. Left steering wheel...home... don't remember from there but probably vehicle.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:24 PM

'19 S560, '19 C63 Cab
Thanks I will try and test it.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tphillips63
Thanks I will try and test it.
That serial number is lower than mine and I took delivery in April. The Camera update was done in July and could help with signs. Mine is very accurate reading signs with a little trouble reading 80 as 60.
I don't have my car handy or would look for the Route based speed setting. If you haven't been in lately there may be a lot of updates....I think I had more than 5. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:50 PM

'19 S560, '19 C63 Cab
Are these updates that I can do over the air? If so do I need the data plan? If they are dealership I will see if I can get confirmation from the dealer about updates.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Problem: Stuck in snow
Last Friday we had a fairly important snow storm.
I had the bright idea of parking on th estreet next to the office. The snow plows pushed some snow under the car.
At the end of the day, I cleared some snow around the wheels and edges of the car and got in. Pop in Drive and... Nothing.

The car would not move at all. The wheels would not even spin. The RPM stayed at 600 RPM.
I tried going into ECO mode, to slow down the engine, no difference.
Next was Off-Road mode. Raised the car, and managed to move an inch, back and forth.

Decidedly, this car just did not want to do anything. Even turning off ESP, I could barely make the wheel slip.

Solution: DSR
By using the DSR Downhill Speed Reduction feature, I was able to force the transmission to crawl out of the not so high snow. Complete waste of 40 minutes trying to get out of the parking space, even while having people help out to push the car. I never had this problem with the 2016 GLE350d.

I'm not impressed the electronics prevented me from moving the car in snow that wasn't even that hard to get out of.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE 450 issues list