GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

What material are my wheels made of?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc
What material are my wheels made of?

Just purchased a used 2020 GLE 350 and I'm trying to purchase the appropriate wheel cleaner and wheel brightener. But I can not figure out the material of my rims and it is not advertised in any of the MB material. I have the 20-inch AMG twin 5-spoke w/black accents. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Sonax 230400 Wheel Cleaner Plus, Improved Formula, 750 ml
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Cleaning wheels

Originally Posted by patel5687
Just purchased a used 2020 GLE 350 and I'm trying to purchase the appropriate wheel cleaner and wheel brightener. But I can not figure out the material of my rims and it is not advertised in any of the MB material. I have the 20-inch AMG twin 5-spoke w/black accents. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
They're painted aluminum - do not use a metal polish, but a good wheel cleaner. I use Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...el+cleaner.do?.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by bad habit
Sonax 230400 Wheel Cleaner Plus, Improved Formula, 750 ml
‘That’s what I use. Last I checked it was the top rated for brake dust on wheels.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc
Thank you all for your help and suggestions
Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
I use P21S wheel cleaner. It's acid free and safe for your wheels.
Rinse the wheels, spray it on, let it work for a few minutes, gently brush grime away, rinse well, and dry with microfibre cloths.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wheel cleaners

Originally Posted by Ron.s
‘That’s what I use. Last I checked it was the top rated for brake dust on wheels.
You have to be careful with online ratings. They are sometimes not as independent as they purport to be, or don't test all relevant products. For instance, the Car Bible rating (https://www.carbibles.com/best-wheel-cleaner-reviewed/) is almost 2 years old, and they don't test Griot's Heavy Duty product, just the regular one. The HD works similarly to the Sonax in that it turns the grime red as it works. Probably can't go wrong with any top name brands; just need to try a few and see what you like.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You have to be careful with online ratings. They are sometimes not as independent as they purport to be, or don't test all relevant products. For instance, the Car Bible rating (https://www.carbibles.com/best-wheel-cleaner-reviewed/) is almost 2 years old, and they don't test Griot's Heavy Duty product, just the regular one. The HD works similarly to the Sonax in that it turns the grime red as it works. Probably can't go wrong with any top name brands; just need to try a few and see what you like.
I agree....user reviews are best if legit. Google and Amazon are a good source. Amazon confirms it was a purchased product by a customer.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:50 AM
Banned

A
I agree....user reviews are best if legit. Google and Amazon are a good source. Amazon confirms it was a purchased product by a customer.
Amazon is no longer a trusted source unfortunately. A certain group of people has been gaming the reviews for a few years now.
You can use Fakespot and that helps but still, hard to sift through the garbage. Sonax is well known German brand, made in Germany.
Alternatively you can always go with nextzett. For tools always Knipex, Wera, Wiha
Old 02-14-2020, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amazon is no longer a trusted source unfortunately. A certain group of people has been gaming the reviews for a few years now.
You can use Fakespot and that helps but still, hard to sift through the garbage. Sonax is well known German brand, made in Germany.
Alternatively you can always go with nextzett. For tools always Knipex, Wera, Wiha
How do you game an Amazon review if it states verified purchase? I guess you could buy, review and return.... A few paid reviews would get lost in the thousands of reviews most Amazon products get anyway. Like any info it has to be filtered with common sense and judgement by the user. TV, News Paper, Sales people, Internet, etc is all much the same.
I bought Sonax after discussing wheel cleaners with the local Audi Dealer detail people. It works fairly well on both of my German cars with 4 different sets of wheels, one is chrome. It works best if you clean regularly and use a pressure washer or wand type after applying as directed to cool wheels. Before using Sonax I was throwing away 4 microfiber towels after each car wash, now maybe one.
Edit-In the summer I use drill attachments and better cleaning methods, maybe some wax.

Last edited by Ron.s; 02-14-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car care products I like

ASonax is well known German brand, made in Germany.
I have no experience with Sonax, but will try at some point. I find most Griot's Garage liquid car care products quite good, and they're made in Indiana (Girot's is headquartered near me in Tacoma, WA). For tools I have collected a lot of Snap-On over the years; still have sockets I bought in college almost 50 years ago and they're in great shape. And their hand tools are still made in the US. Also like Wiha, USAG & Facom. For cordless power tools I'm locked into Milwaukee which has a huge selection in all voltages.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Banned

A
How do you game an Amazon review if it states verified purchase? I guess you could buy, review and return.... A few paid reviews would get lost in the thousands of reviews most Amazon products get anyway. Like any info it has to be filtered with common sense and judgement by the user. TV, News Paper, Sales people, Internet, etc is all much the same.
I bought Sonax after discussing wheel cleaners with the local Audi Dealer detail people. It works fairly well on both of my German cars with 4 different sets of wheels, one is chrome. It works best if you clean regularly and use a pressure washer or wand type after applying as directed to cool wheels. Before using Sonax I was throwing away 4 microfiber towels after each car wash, now maybe one.
Edit-In the summer I use drill attachments and better cleaning methods, maybe some wax.
Have you had a box of Amazon stuff show up at your door that has your name on it, but you never ordered or paid for it? That's just one of the many ways.
They also buy and return, as you said, or buy, and the resell under another account. Amazon reviews have become a huge cancer for the industry.
With Sonax wheel cleaner I honestly don't even have to brush or anything, the stuff just falls off....
Old 02-14-2020, 04:14 PM
Banned

A
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I have no experience with Sonax, but will try at some point. I find most Griot's Garage liquid car care products quite good, and they're made in Indiana (Girot's is headquartered near me in Tacoma, WA). For tools I have collected a lot of Snap-On over the years; still have sockets I bought in college almost 50 years ago and they're in great shape. And their hand tools are still made in the US. Also like Wiha, USAG & Facom. For cordless power tools I'm locked into Milwaukee which has a huge selection in all voltages.
I use a few of Sonax' products, very good experience there. The Knipex tools I bought in Germany, excellent quality.
No experience with snap-on, all of my wrenches / sockets etc. are Nepros (most of them I bought in Japan).
Almost went with Milwaukee but had a Bosch cordless as a gift a while back so now everything I have is Bosch.