GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

NetStar secret Dashcam option order code?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2020 | 11:54 PM

Too many to count
NetStar secret Dashcam option order code?

I ordered a 2021 GLE today at the dealership. Apparently the coronavirus really screwed up Mercedes' production, and the system for placing orders (NetStar) is messy and has not been sorted out. The SA showed me the screen, and unlike other cars I've bought from MB, the information is not even loaded in there. It just lists the option codes, and then says "** PRICE NOT ON FILE ** where the package names should be. As they were going through the different options, there was a selectable option in the NetStar screen called "Dashcam" for $0.

This is interesting because on certain MBUX-enabled cars, if you dig deep in the settings, there is a grayed out dashcam option that you can't enable (at least not in North America). This thread talks about this discovery: https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...-gls-mbux.html

However the MBUSA website and the dealer order guide for this make no reference to a dashcam option. But the dealer can apparently order it from the NetStar system. I did not select it because the price is not listed for it, it's unknown if it's even real, or what it may conflict with. But it's interesting that it's in Mercedes' system as an option when they have not really offered it.
Old 06-30-2020 | 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
It's real and the picture I posted in that thread is from a dealer order guide. It is indeed new for 2021 models.
Also, price is $200.
Old 06-30-2020 | 12:38 AM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by Eaton
It's real and the picture I posted in that thread is from a dealer order guide. It is indeed new for 2021 models.
Also, price is $200.
It's not in the 2021 GLE dealer order guide. It is in NetStar though but with no price listed.

Last edited by Senatov; 06-30-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2020 | 04:58 PM
KB5

Dashcam 21U at $200 does show up in the 2121 AMG GLC Dealer Order Guide which I am adding to my order. I am also trying to add this to the AMG GLE53 I am ordering for my wife. The cam does not show up yet in the DOG for the 53. If I can get my SA to find it I will post the results. (US orders)
Old 06-30-2020 | 05:35 PM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by KB5
Dashcam 21U at $200 does show up in the 2121 AMG GLC Dealer Order Guide which I am adding to my order. I am also trying to add this to the AMG GLE53 I am ordering for my wife. The cam does not show up yet in the DOG for the 53. If I can get my SA to find it I will post the results. (US orders)
It's very strange/disorganized that the dashcam has been a disabled/greyed out feature in the settings menu of many MBUX cars delivered in the last few years, but is not in the dealer order guide, and is not on the website. It seems like they are now slowly making it an actual option. It seems like the "augmented video" option is required for it, as that provides the needed camera/hardware. It stands to reason that the dashcam is actually not an option at all, but instead that the hardware is already in the car, and the $200 is just for Mercedes to turn it on in the code in the vehicle. That would be similar to Carplay. Many Mercedes have the hardware and software for it, but if you did not order/pay for it as an option, then they don't turn it on in the computer. You can actually buy adapters online that will turn on Carplay for you when you plug them into the service port. I wonder if the dashcam will be the same thing.
Old 06-30-2020 | 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Senatov
It's very strange/disorganized that the dashcam has been a disabled/greyed out feature in the settings menu of many MBUX cars delivered in the last few years, but is not in the dealer order guide, and is not on the website. It seems like they are now slowly making it an actual option. It seems like the "augmented video" option is required for it, as that provides the needed camera/hardware. It stands to reason that the dashcam is actually not an option at all, but instead that the hardware is already in the car, and the $200 is just for Mercedes to turn it on in the code in the vehicle. That would be similar to Carplay. Many Mercedes have the hardware and software for it, but if you did not order/pay for it as an option, then they don't turn it on in the computer. You can actually buy adapters online that will turn on Carplay for you when you plug them into the service port. I wonder if the dashcam will be the same thing.
What’s your location? I use Android at no charge but Car Play is also listed as a standard feature in the US.
Old 06-30-2020 | 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
I too believe the dashcam option is just software-locked and it will work if you have the augmented navigation.
It's a mystery why it's been locked. Some say there are legal reasons, but maybe the software/app just isn't ready yet. It seems probably that the next MBUX update (which appears to have just come out) may have finished the groundwork for it and we may hear more about it this year.
Old 06-30-2020 | 06:08 PM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by Ron.s
What’s your location? I use Android at no charge but Car Play is also listed as a standard feature in the US.
US. In several models/model years you had to choose between COMAND, some Garmin thing, and CarPlay/Android Auto. In some models and model years CarPlay was a standalone option before they started throwing it in. In most cases it was already in the car but was simply "hidden." I feel like the Dashcam is the same thing. If you get the advanced video option, I think the parts are there, but you have to pay the $200 to "activate" it. Or maybe I'm wrong. How/where it stores the footage is another question.
Old 06-30-2020 | 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
What the DashCam Option "does" is a matter of conjecture - since I have not seen operation of a US Dash Cam Option yet.

If you want to know if the DashCam Option can be OBD programmed after-purchase - assume that WON'T come from MB.

To check if it "can be programmed" - I need a couple of VIN#'s PM'd to me that have MBUX&Augmented Nav.

That way my guy's in Euro (MB consultants actually) can check - to see what they can see - if they "see" it there to activate - then yes it can get done thru OBD.

If they "can't see it" then we have to wait for a production unit with US Dash Cam Feature - and can pull that code and get it done thru OBD

PM VIN#'s only - do not post VIN#'s here - when I have enought I will post Thanks/Stop...
The following users liked this post:
Mick1113 (09-10-2020)
Old 06-30-2020 | 11:32 PM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
What the DashCam Option "does" is a matter of conjecture - since I have not seen operation of a US Dash Cam Option yet.

If you want to know if the DashCam Option can be OBD programmed after-purchase - assume that WON'T come from MB.

To check if it "can be programmed" - I need a couple of VIN#'s PM'd to me that have MBUX&Augmented Nav.

That way my guy's in Euro (MB consultants actually) can check - to see what they can see - if they "see" it there to activate - then yes it can get done thru OBD.

If they "can't see it" then we have to wait for a production unit with US Dash Cam Feature - and can pull that code and get it done thru OBD

PM VIN#'s only - do not post VIN#'s here - when I have enought I will post Thanks/Stop...
Just out of curiosity, because I know you know your stuff on here, what’s been up with MB USA the last few years? I feel like the quality has come down. The Mercedes vehicles themselves are of exceptional quality, but the things that are delegated to MB USA to figure out (telematics, mbrace, LTE, NetStar ordering, DOGs) have gone to the dogs. I have ordered and owned many MBs and it feels like the connected car services have been a mess for like the last 7 years, the ordering process/availability of options has become confused and mysterious, and you basically have to place an order to get anything other than black on black with no options.
Old 06-30-2020 | 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eaton
the next MBUX update (which appears to have just come out) may have finished the groundwork for it and we may hear more about it this year.
Interesting! Do you know more about this next MBUX update and when it came out? I did a quick google search and a forum search and didn't find much about it.
Old 06-30-2020 | 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Just out of curiosity, because I know you know your stuff on here, what’s been up with MB USA the last few years? I feel like the quality has come down. The Mercedes vehicles themselves are of exceptional quality, but the things that are delegated to MB USA to figure out (telematics, mbrace, LTE, NetStar ordering, DOGs) have gone to the dogs. I have ordered and owned many MBs and it feels like the connected car services have been a mess for like the last 7 years, the ordering process/availability of options has become confused and mysterious, and you basically have to place an order to get anything other than black on black with no options.
Not to mention MBUSA.com is always super behind and sometimes inaccurate.

Originally Posted by maalox
Interesting! Do you know more about this next MBUX update and when it came out? I did a quick google search and a forum search and didn't find much about it.
Facebook Post

Facebook Post
The following users liked this post:
maalox (07-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2020 | 11:36 AM

2023 EQB300
Just was in contact with my rep today and he knows nothing about any codes in Netstar for 2021 GLE350 dashcam. Says it will be an option on the GLA and the 2021 E Class Sedan.

But he did send me order confirmation with PO for my car and still showing 3rd decade August build date. Also notes Baltimore VPC. So my guess is they ship via train to Baltimore and then loaded onto car carriers.
Old 11-24-2020 | 10:56 AM

GLE 53 w167
Did the Dashcam coding investigation come to any conclusion yet?

I had hoped that both wireless Apple Carplay and Andoid Auto (requires 5GhZ wifi) as well as the dashcam functionality (requires augmented navigation) would be possible to enable via programming...
Old 11-25-2020 | 04:56 PM

2023 EQB300
Response from MBUSA when I asked about software update to enable dashcam on GLE:
------------------------------

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

At this time there are no plans to offer a software upgrade, however as a valued Mercedes-Benz customer, we welcome your feedback. It helps to keep us current in understanding the needs and preferences of our current and prospective customers. To this end, we have shared your comments with our Product Management Team for their review and future consideration.
Old 11-26-2020 | 02:40 AM

2020 GLE 580 | 2020 Ram 1500 Limited
The Dash Cam is now an add on option for the 2021 GLB and GLC on MBUSA's Online Build Configurator along with something called Parking Damage Detector. I would venture to assume that both of these may be something that could be turned on through OBD programming soon the same way the full featured ILS+ Multibeams can be turned on with a micro SD card and TuneOBD dongle. However a high end BlackVue or Thinkware appears to have a much better sensor as well as better resolution than what's mentioned in the website description.

Old 11-26-2020 | 04:06 AM

Mercedes Benz GLE
The Dashcam option is now available in Romanian (and I assume other European) MB configurator:

SA-21U - Windshield installed dashcam (238 Euro = 200 Euro + 19% VAT)
Old 11-26-2020 | 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
No mention of dashcam in UK configurator