GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2nd row seats stuck in folded position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
2nd row seats stuck in folded position

I have the 7 seat option, and when I folded down the right side seat in the second row my kid pulled the red strap behind the seat and now the seat is just stuck in the folded position. Electronic button on the seat won’t work and neither will the button in the trunk, as if the electrical was disengaged. Nothing I do seems to be able to release the seat back up to its upright position. Any tips to resolve it before I have to take a trip to the dealer?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:58 PM

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Have you try to manually push the seat back up into the upright position? Since they pull the emergency release, I assume that it got disconnected with the electronic motor that move the seat, and might need to "engage" it again by pushing the seat back up manually first.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:44 PM

GLE 350
Yes, tried that but the seat will not budge one bit. It’s just pegged down. I tried it with the other side just to test it and it is now stuck as well, same thing. Crazy.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:09 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Have you try to pull the side release loop (not those in the back of the seat, the one in the front) and push the seat at the same time? Maybe its somehow locked in the down position? (That shouldn't happen according to manual) I don't have a third row seat option so I can only go by guessing based on the manual.
Have you also try press and hold the button to see if the seat will go back up?

Last edited by zengshengliu; 07-05-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:13 PM

GLE 350
Just tried pulling and lifting at the same time, no movement. Neither does holding the buttons for a few seconds. I’m stumped here. I have a indicator on my dash that both seats are unlocked
Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 PM

GLE 350
Also, sounds like you know a fair bit about these cars. It’s my first MB ever, and just took delivery yesterday. I’m not able to recline the driver seat without the entire seat also automatically moving forward pushing my knees into the dashboard? Even then, it reclines about a centimeter, no more than that. What’s going on here?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
For the rear seat, I am out of idea, so its best to visit a dealer. According to manual, the seat should be unlocked when it is not in the driving position (up right).
For the driver seat, are you saying that when you try to push the backrest back with the door control (#2 in the picture below), it actually move the seat cushion up and forward? That is definitely not normal. You should get dealer to check it. It could be a software issue (there is a post about software issue resulting in easy entry/exit moving the seat in the wrong direction, maybe its similar?)

Old 07-05-2020, 09:40 PM

GLE 350
Yeah looks like I will need to go back to the dealer. Thanks for your help trying to resolve these issues.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
I do not have the third row but I had something similar happen to me in my 2018 Yukon Denali. What solved it for me was to press the down switch and hold it. Then release and pressed the up switch and held it until seats were fully raised. Maybe this will help. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:30 PM
RWR

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 ML350, 2016 E350
See my prior posts below…everything now works properly using the powered buttons however I am concerned about pulling the red cord ever again and have not tried it. The dealer says it should be fine but I am skeptical…good luck.
(currently 1801 miles ) and do love the vehicle ....

4-6-2020 POST

GLE450...delivered November 2019....1570 miles...has third row seat option...driver's side second row electric seat failed to move properly ...frame and motor was replaced. No other issues. ""Stay at home orders" have been applied to my vehicle ;(

3-2-2020 POST

GLE450 with third row seats…problem with powered 2nd row driver’s side section. Passenger side works as it should. Driver’s side moves forward but no longer lifts to allow access to third row and it no longer reclines. The seat back can be manually lowered flat but that does not help with access. Dealer tried to reset the system with no success on Thursday. They ordered a new motor that arrived on Friday around noon. They did not have enough time to replace it on Friday so we left the vehicle there over the weekend for an early Monday start. They were overloaded with walk-ins Monday morning and didn’t start to replace the seat motor till mid-afternoon. After my attempts to follow up several times finally at 5:15 I was told that the new motor did not fix the problem and that the techs were all gone. They were going to try finding another 3rd row vehicle and do some matching diagnostics. Not sure if they were going to reach out to MB for any insight.

Although I have a loaner, I am not a happy camper having left my 1500-mile 3month old vehicle there for five days and not having any idea of when or how it can be fixed. Has anyone with the 3rd row option had a similar powered seat problem???

Ps this is the first glitch that I have had with an otherwise super vehicle
Old 09-07-2020, 08:57 PM

2020 Gle 350
Originally Posted by capolo18
I have the 7 seat option, and when I folded down the right side seat in the second row my kid pulled the red strap behind the seat and now the seat is just stuck in the folded position. Electronic button on the seat won’t work and neither will the button in the trunk, as if the electrical was disengaged. Nothing I do seems to be able to release the seat back up to its upright position. Any tips to resolve it before I have to take a trip to the dealer?
The exact same thing happened to me, how did you fix it?
Old 10-15-2020, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by RWR
See my prior posts below…everything now works properly using the powered buttons however I am concerned about pulling the red cord ever again and have not tried it. The dealer says it should be fine but I am skeptical…good luck.
(currently 1801 miles ) and do love the vehicle ....

4-6-2020 POST

GLE450...delivered November 2019....1570 miles...has third row seat option...driver's side second row electric seat failed to move properly ...frame and motor was replaced. No other issues. ""Stay at home orders" have been applied to my vehicle ;(

3-2-2020 POST

GLE450 with third row seats…problem with powered 2nd row driver’s side section. Passenger side works as it should. Driver’s side moves forward but no longer lifts to allow access to third row and it no longer reclines. The seat back can be manually lowered flat but that does not help with access. Dealer tried to reset the system with no success on Thursday. They ordered a new motor that arrived on Friday around noon. They did not have enough time to replace it on Friday so we left the vehicle there over the weekend for an early Monday start. They were overloaded with walk-ins Monday morning and didn’t start to replace the seat motor till mid-afternoon. After my attempts to follow up several times finally at 5:15 I was told that the new motor did not fix the problem and that the techs were all gone. They were going to try finding another 3rd row vehicle and do some matching diagnostics. Not sure if they were going to reach out to MB for any insight.

Although I have a loaner, I am not a happy camper having left my 1500-mile 3month old vehicle there for five days and not having any idea of when or how it can be fixed. Has anyone with the 3rd row option had a similar powered seat problem???

Ps this is the first glitch that I have had with an otherwise super vehicle

Not sure if you were able to get this fixed, but I had a similar situation. I pulled the red tab to get the set to fold down. Got the same message on the display. The driver seat lost the ability to adjust properly as you stated in your OP. I was able to lift the seat manually and lock it back into place. Used the buttons in the rear cargo area to lower and raise the back seats. We lowering them using the buttons, the front seat had full adjustability. To gain entry/exit to the 3rd row, you have to use the lever on the top outer area of the back seat. This moves the seat up and tilts it forward. This allows access to the third row even if you may have a carseat in the the 2nd row.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 S560; 2021 GLS450
capolo18, if you do not mind sharing, what was the resolution of this issue? I have the same exact problem, just replace "kid" with "wife". Her car, so I am not so sure what she did, but she says she dropped it using the button, and tried the red strap while trying to put it back up, and it is completely stuck folded down now. All other seats work as designed, but this one, there is no electrical whirring even. I suspected fuses, but they seem to be checking out as well...

So could use any pointer you can share before making a trip down to the dealer.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:33 PM

GLA45 CLA45
To those looking for answers.

The red cord is an emergency release for the 2nd row. If the 2nd row is NOT PUSHED DOWN ALL THE WAY the buttons on the door ect will not work. Just push down until it clicks. Hope that helped
Old 05-30-2022, 11:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e550 w212
Originally Posted by capolo18

I have the same issue and I don’t want to push to hard on it - I pulled the red strap myself and now I’m stuck. Any help is appreciated
Old 06-07-2022, 04:25 PM
X7k

Bmw X7, 5series BMW
Originally Posted by mkrr24
I have the same issue and I don’t want to push to hard on it - I pulled the red strap myself and now I’m stuck. Any help is appreciated
I had the same issue could not get it to work. Took it to the dealership today and they said a new seat frame needs to be ordered and installed.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:32 PM

e550 w212
Originally Posted by X7k
I had the same issue could not get it to work. Took it to the dealership today and they said a new seat frame needs to be ordered and installed.
I took it in as well and the red strap got tangled somewhere n the mechanism- otherwise good they fixed it with no parts -
Old 06-08-2022, 04:50 PM
X7k

Bmw X7, 5series BMW
Originally Posted by mkrr24
I took it in as well and the red strap got tangled somewhere n the mechanism- otherwise good they fixed it with no parts -

car still at the dealership they are having issues reinitializing the software. Not such a little problem apparently. However it is cover under warranty.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLE 350
Problem solved

The same thing just happened to me and I appreciated having this thread to refer to. My rear second row seat got stuck after being folded using the rear tab, then the red tab got pulled (not by kids or wife, but my own short temper). For me, the red emergency pull tab needed to be unjammed and recoiled back into the seat. The car was registering the seat was still in emergency release mode and wouldn’t allow the electronics to work on that seat.

I just wanted to say I created an account to say thank you for all of your help! Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,449 Likes on 957 Posts
No more MB:(
Well a trip to the dealer is always your best bet to make sure the kid didn't break anything. else.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:15 PM

GLS 450
I’m having the same issue, may I know how you fix the problem?

Originally Posted by Cgill
The same thing just happened to me and I appreciated having this thread to refer to. My rear second row seat got stuck after being folded using the rear tab, then the red tab got pulled (not by kids or wife, but my own short temper). For me, the red emergency pull tab needed to be unjammed and recoiled back into the seat. The car was registering the seat was still in emergency release mode and wouldn’t allow the electronics to work on that seat.

I just wanted to say I created an account to say thank you for all of your help! Thank you!
Old 08-12-2022, 10:01 PM

e550 w212
Originally Posted by Melomelo
I had to take it to the dealer - what happened was the red string/stripe got stuck and tangled in the mechanism. Take it to the dealer, I think they had to take the seat out in my case. I had no solution on my own.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLE 350
Originally Posted by Melomelo
I was able to get it untangled/stuck on my own, don’t freak out (like I did), just pull it out and try to lay it out flat when it retracts. Just did that over and over and it eventually released. You’ll know when it releases. Then the raise seat button should work.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:14 PM

GLE 300d, E220d
Hey, so finally how this problem was resolved ?

Can I engage second row seats back in to the working position by my self ? ))

Old 04-01-2024, 07:16 PM

gls 450
Just got In The same situation with the 2nd row captain seats being stuck. Power is not working and red strap isn’t able to pull. It seams that one of the latches is not opening. Just passed 55k miles and dealer wants 600-800 to fix the seat , any suggestions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2nd row seats stuck in folded position