GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Over The Air updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 12:31 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
350 GLE 4matic
Over The Air updates

I see Mercedes does auto map updates but it’s not clear they update other key systems. For example when I complained my lane keep assist was not consistent, they said there was a software update to apply.

im sure Corp MB watches these post. Should we run a poll that MB should apply updates automatically and not sit back and wait till a customer to comes with a complaint etc.

Teslas do it as a matter-of-the -right -smart-thing-to-do; seems MB can make this a reality too
Old 11-21-2020, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,516 Posts
2019 C63CS
The OTA updates are limited to the latest COMAND and MBUX and so far there haven't been any updates actually pushed out other than map updates. All the German manufacturers are lacking a car wide operating system that would allow all software aspects of the car to be updated via a single distribution channel and not risk bricking parts of the car. The various ECUs are built by a bunch suppliers. They all use their own underlying OS and technology stack and interface with each other through the CAN bus. There is no standard to update these ECUs over the air. That's the big difference to Tesla. Tesla has developed an OS for their cars and controls the entire software stack. A German car is a bunch of computers developed by different companies and networked together through the CAN bus. Some of them cooperate together on a common task others operate in isolation. It's much like your home network or network at work. A bunch of devices from different companies networked together via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Each device has its own way of being updated. Your Windows PCs receive updates from Microsoft, your iPhones and iPads from Apple, your Android phones from whatever OEM you got them. It's a heterogeneous environment. The Germans all know this and that they need to change that. For this purpose Daimler has recently partnered with Nvidia to develop an OS for their cars that makes it possible to update future cars entirely over the air among other things.
The following 4 users liked this post by superswiss:
cupecoy (11-21-2020), jcapotos (11-21-2020), Lanzz (11-22-2020), Ron.s (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,157 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
....Teslas do it as a matter-of-the -right -smart-thing-to-do; seems MB can make this a reality too
Yes they do, and they also use it as a way of holding their owners hostage, sometimes requiring payment for updates, or payment to prevent downgrades. An ethical dilemma.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 AM

350 GLE 4matic
Good stuff. O therein lies the question. As new software updates come out for various items, how do, we the consumer, get them installed when we don’t know which ones are available or even when they come out. “ Hi service Mgr, I want my vehicle to have the most recent updates so that I can have the best driving experience. Uh sir, sorry we can’t do that...do you know which particular item in this complex machine you think might have recvd an update”. UGH
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
Last time I took the 450 do the dealer, they said that they "don't do updates on the car software unless there is a problem of some sort".
Old 11-21-2020, 07:38 AM

350 GLE 4matic
That’s what I’d expect to hear unfortunately. Updates exist to make a car run better (read:Tesla) but you can’t get them untill something has to crap the bed first....bummer
Old 11-21-2020, 07:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
Originally Posted by superswiss
The OTA updates are limited to the latest COMAND and MBUX and so far there haven't been any updates actually pushed out other than map updates. All the German manufacturers are lacking a car wide operating system that would allow all software aspects of the car to be updated via a single distribution channel and not risk bricking parts of the car. The various ECUs are built by a bunch suppliers. They all use their own underlying OS and technology stack and interface with each other through the CAN bus. There is no standard to update these ECUs over the air. That's the big difference to Tesla. Tesla has developed an OS for their cars and controls the entire software stack. A German car is a bunch of computers developed by different companies and networked together through the CAN bus. Some of them cooperate together on a common task others operate in isolation. It's much like your home network or network at work. A bunch of devices from different companies networked together via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Each device has its own way of being updated. Your Windows PCs receive updates from Microsoft, your iPhones and iPads from Apple, your Android phones from whatever OEM you got them. It's a heterogeneous environment. The Germans all know this and that they need to change that. For this purpose Daimler has recently partnered with Nvidia to develop an OS for their cars that makes it possible to update future cars entirely over the air among other things.
excellent write up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
There have been two OTA updates to the Infotainment System. One was in 3/2020 and the next in 4/2020. Another issue that needs to be "engineered" into the vehicle in advance is there needs to be adequate storage to download the update and then install it. The old and the new versions must exist together for a period of time.

Since Tesla was used as an example, does anyone know how they protect against issues when a system update is in process and someone goes to drive the vehicle?
Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,023 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
My Mercedes Dealer and also Audi Dealer both do software updates during the 10k Service. Some updates are dependent on the build date of your car-newer builds might have the update already. In fact our Audi got an update when it was in to replace a window seal. My early build Mercedes GLE 450 had numerous updates to fix issues and twice I was contacted to let me know a fix had become available. Dealers have had to work through various stages of COVID restrictions so service at all levels may still be reduced from norm. I think it’s prudent to question the Service Associate about updates during the annual 10k.

The software is now more mature so updates might be more of added features than fixes going forward. Wireless phone interface and adding the DashCam to my GLE 53 are two that I would like to see. We usually have a Forum member post info on software before it makes it to the Dealership front end.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:17 AM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I took my GLE450 to the dealer yesterday for a small issue that was supposed to be a 20m fix. I mentioned an issue I was having with Android Auto which prompted a software update that took almost 2 hrs to complete. After all that, my Android Auto issue was still present and I lost all my settings. They did tell me that late model 2020s have all the hardware for the dashcam, they just need to get the proper software from Germany to activate the feature. They anticipate that should happen within a couple months.

Last edited by chrislk55; 11-21-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG Coupe
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ron.s
My Mercedes Dealer and also Audi Dealer both do software updates during the 10k Service. Some updates are dependent on the build date of your car-newer builds might have the update already. In fact our Audi got an update when it was in to replace a window seal. My early build Mercedes GLE 450 had numerous updates to fix issues and twice I was contacted to let me know a fix had become available. Dealers have had to work through various stages of COVID restrictions so service at all levels may still be reduced from norm. I think it’s prudent to question the Service Associate about updates during the annual 10k.

The software is now more mature so updates might be more of added features than fixes going forward. Wireless phone interface and adding the DashCam to my GLE 53 are two that I would like to see. We usually have a Forum member post info on software before it makes it to the Dealership front end.
I agree with everything said above. My Audis and Porsches (and also the wife's Volvo XC60 T8 Hybrid) received updates if there is one available when I brought them in for routine servicing. I would also get emails if the updates were significant enough they want you to bring it in. The service adviser would always tell me if an update is required when I am scheduling a service to let me know it might take longer than usual because of the update. MB customer service is lacking. I have been very disappointed in support of a $100k vehicle. My GLE 53 AMG Coupe only received an update because the service dept. couldn't figure out how to fix the radio volume being too loud at startup. Porsche and Audi (even VW) customer service experience has been better than MB. Will probably go back to a Cayenne after lease is up.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
There is also the matter of enabling all Permissions through the Mercedes Me app. If you don't allow all Permissions, the car may not be able to download updates.
Also, the Dealer may not be able to query the car about codes or status.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JRTouareg
I agree with everything said above. My Audis and Porsches (and also the wife's Volvo XC60 T8 Hybrid) received updates if there is one available when I brought them in for routine servicing. I would also get emails if the updates were significant enough they want you to bring it in. The service adviser would always tell me if an update is required when I am scheduling a service to let me know it might take longer than usual because of the update......
That's exactly my experience with our GLE. I have gotten an email, and I have been called by our Dealer to advise about an available update. The capability is there.
I think I'd ask for a different Service Advisor. It might be a Human problem, and it might solve some issues.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought the Mercedes Shop Foreman a Gift Card for a nice dinner after getting some special help with new Key Fobs and the update allowing LKA to be turned off. Then at Christmas I dropped off some cookies, snacks and a cheese plate for the my Service A. and the shop guys. I thought it was appropriate after great service but it also helped separate me a little from being just another customer. Treating them politely with respect is also a good idea. They have a tough job and some customers don’t have a clue about the car or technology but can be very demanding. My Mercedes (Porsche) Dealer is the best in town. The Audi Dealer is OK but too much turnover and average at best.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
chrislk55 (11-21-2020), mikapen (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
various
I bought the Mercedes Shop Foreman a Gift Card for a nice dinner after getting some special help with new Key Fobs and the update allowing LKA to be turned off. Then at Christmas I dropped off some cookies, snacks and a cheese plate for the my Service A. and the shop guys. I thought it was appropriate after great service but it also helped separate me a little from being just another customer. Treating them politely with respect is also a good idea. They have a tough job and some customers don’t have a clue about the car or technology but can be very demanding. My Mercedes (Porsche) Dealer is the best in town. The Audi Dealer is OK but too much turnover and average at best.
And sometimes the dealer doesn’t have a clue about the technology. Maybe I should bring them a cheese plate. Might help them out.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:45 PM

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2004 CLK320 Cab, 2020 GLE350
As an aside, my daughter who lives in Hollywood is building a house in Boise (Eagle, actually) to get the hell out of Dodge. I think some of the niceties you can enjoy with service people where you live is really impossible in big cities elsewhere. Too much background noise.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by paulmj1
As an aside, my daughter who lives in Hollywood is building a house in Boise (Eagle, actually) to get the hell out of Dodge. I think some of the niceties you can enjoy with service people where you live is really impossible in big cities elsewhere. Too much background noise.
I agree...we have a low key friendly environment. I’ve been to Fletcher Jones, Las Vegas several times...nice but a lot different.
Our Mercedes Shop Foreman came from a large Dealership in SoCal about 15 years ago for the same reason. I made it a point to meet him and also the Service Manager during an anniversary open house. Watching Arizona-Washington game.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:34 PM

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2004 CLK320 Cab, 2020 GLE350
I agree...we have a low key friendly environment. I’ve been to Fletcher Jones, Las Vegas several times...nice but a lot different.
Our Mercedes Shop Foreman came from a large Dealership in SoCal about 15 years ago for the same reason. I made it a point to meet him and also the Service Manager during an anniversary open house. Watching Arizona-Washington game.
If you think FJMC in Las Vegas is off the wall, you should see their place in Newport Beach. They claim to sell more cars than any MB dealership in North America. We bought our last three cars from them over the years when we lived in Orange County. We still have the ‘04 CLK Cabrio.
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Getting off topic but one last story. I have a place in Saint George and was shopping for a Mercedes 2+ years ago. First Mercedes so I wanted to cross shop. The Mercedes of S.G. Is small (wouldn’t trust them for service) so I checked FJ Vegas online for a proposal. Sales Associate told me to go to the SG Dealer. Later I had follow up from another Salesman (didn’t know about the first one) and then a Sales Manager wanting to deal. Told them about the SA giving me the boot and that I had decided on another dealer. Pretty obvious that I was just a number to them. They had recently been purchased by FJ so that might have been a factor.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:37 AM

Received 210 Likes on 157 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
If you read the BMW forums, we need to let the OTA software updates mature a bit. It sounds like even when Mercedes solves the architecture issues that Swiss described, the OTA updates for critical systems aren't yet reliable. A few stories of new X7's getting bricked and needing to be towed away after OTA updates - and there's some silliness needed to even get them out of Park to tow. I'd love Tesla-like feature upgrades and fixes OTA, but those BMA stories make me want to wait a bit longer...
Old 11-09-2023, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350 2020
How you allow all Permissions?
Old 11-09-2023, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lanzz
If you read the BMW forums, we need to let the OTA software updates mature a bit. It sounds like even when Mercedes solves the architecture issues that Swiss described, the OTA updates for critical systems aren't yet reliable. A few stories of new X7's getting bricked and needing to be towed away after OTA updates - and there's some silliness needed to even get them out of Park to tow. I'd love Tesla-like feature upgrades and fixes OTA, but those BMA stories make me want to wait a bit longer...
Add Volvo to the list. Porsche seems to work great. My GMC Canyon is being repurchased tomorrow after sitting at the Dealer with failed hardware components since July after an OTA bricked over 4,000 units.