GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Airmatic on the GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2021 | 10:46 PM

Land Rover Discovery
Airmatic on the GLE

I test drove an X5 and a GLE350 today and it was interesting. The Benz had a softer suspension and more body roll but better steering. I was expecting more from the X5 as I have an X4 as well, but it is heavy and somewhat clumsy. I also own a 2017 LR Discovery and thought there would be more of a difference.

I like the Benz in every area but body role and control. Does anyone have experiences their can share?
Old 01-24-2021 | 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Roll control

Originally Posted by Ennio Longo
I test drove an X5 and a GLE350 today and it was interesting. The Benz had a softer suspension and more body roll but better steering. I was expecting more from the X5 as I have an X4 as well, but it is heavy and somewhat clumsy. I also own a 2017 LR Discovery and thought there would be more of a difference.

I like the Benz in every area but body role and control. Does anyone have experiences their can share?
The suspension is softest in the Comfort or Eco drive programs. Did you switch the Drive Mode (Dynamic Select) to Sport, perhaps? That will firm things up and reduce roll. I have E-ABC, and I don't think the standard Airmatic has the Sport+ mode, but that reduces roll dramatically. Other than E-ABC, which last I heard was only available in the 580, Active Ride Control in the 53 nd 63S will reduce roll. I agree with Ron on the 450 over the 350, but depends partly on your budget.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-24-2021 at 09:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
You don’t mention the suspension in your test car but if it’s Air...there are settings to make it stiffer. In Comfort mode (the default) it’s too soft, IMO. You can choose Sport mode for improved suspension and a more sporty engine/shift pattern or you have the option to customize your own mode features in Individual mode. In I mode you can leave everything C but only the suspension in S.
The GLE 53 (optional) & 63S have suspensions with more options and sway bars that are adjusted with the 48 volt system to keep the car flat in corners.
If you want an in between recommendation, go for the GLE 450. The EQ Boost & 6 cylinder make for a great package with very close to the same gas mileage.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I agree that the standard suspension feels somewhat soft, but in my experience it is still grippier than the BMW or Audi. Some of the best handling cars I have driven in the past have leaned a lot - "flat" is not necessary for handling prowess.
However, I think that the Air suspension on Comfort can be more "tippy" than passengers like on some roadways. I actually prefer the steel suspension over the base Airmatic, and my wife agrees. It's a HUGE step up from the predecessor W166 ML/GLE.

I also agree with @Ron.s and @GregW / Oregon that the E-ABC and Active Ride Control REALLY put the GLE head and shoulders above competitors, including the Cayenne with it's base suspension. I hope availability improves.

Last edited by mikapen; 01-24-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2021 | 06:01 PM

GLE450
@nextmilenium - I have a 2020 GLE 450 with the standard suspension (intentional as i prefer the conventional shocks/springs set up and potential tuning options in the future) and will say it is a fairly soft set up out of the box but this is what I expected and wanted. I was looking for a fairly comfortable/soft car with minimal NVH and this car fit the bill. However, at higher speeds when I hit a long dip in the road (rarely) I noticed the front bobbing slightly and think the rebound/compression could have been tuned better up front. I've learned to live with it and for 95% of my style of driving, I like the way the suspension is tuned. Should also not dismiss the fact that these cars are very heavy and will feel that weight transfer. E-dampers probably do a 100x better job managing the weight and body roll.

Old 10-15-2021 | 08:07 PM

2021 GLE 450

the 350 doesnt have air suspension and its not available on it. only the 450 and higher get it as an option
Old 10-15-2021 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by pklee
@nextmilenium - I have a 2020 GLE 450 with the standard suspension (intentional as i prefer the conventional shocks/springs set up and potential tuning options in the future) and will say it is a fairly soft set up out of the box but this is what I expected and wanted. I was looking for a fairly comfortable/soft car with minimal NVH and this car fit the bill. However, at higher speeds when I hit a long dip in the road (rarely) I noticed the front bobbing slightly and think the rebound/compression could have been tuned better up front. I've learned to live with it and for 95% of my style of driving, I like the way the suspension is tuned. Should also not dismiss the fact that these cars are very heavy and will feel that weight transfer. E-dampers probably do a 100x better job managing the weight and body roll.
With Air Suspension you can set up an (I) individual mode and set the Suspension to Sport for more controlled handling…or just run in Sport mode. Even in the standard “C” mode the ride is soft but compliant with more body roll but the car is still well controlled with some lean in corners.
Old 10-17-2021 | 03:15 PM

GLE 350de
In Europe the 350(d)e has Airmatic option. I have one 🤓
Old 10-20-2021 | 09:36 AM

2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by pklee
I also have the 450 and love the ride. Agreed there are some rare times its a bit bouncy but generally its very smooth.
Old 11-01-2021 | 01:50 PM

2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by nbukrey
I also have the 450 and love the ride. Agreed there are some rare times its a bit bouncy but generally its very smooth.
Do you have the steel or airmatic?
Old 11-01-2021 | 02:21 PM

2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by hutch300
Do you have the steel or airmatic?
steel springs, No air matic.