GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

The best or nothing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,990 Likes on 3,137 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Thanks for the update and sorry to hear of the continued poor treatment from MB corporate and dealers, both groups which don’t care.

The pre-facelift 167 is rubbish and to be avoided as supported by this and many other threads.

@BACnMercedes since you are considering changing brands, here are some things to look at. They are in the grey zone of performance and comfort which each carmaker execute with varying degrees of success. These are on my radar screen and might fit some of your requirements:

Porsche Cayenne S
Audi SQ8
BMW X5M50i

If you feel like going Asian, the latest Sequoia is nice and the Palisade/Telluride look good also. Definitely not a Mercedes but the ownership experience will be less adversarial than with the care-nots at MB and their dealers.

Last edited by chassis; 05-10-2021 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-20-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Hush money theory sounds like an Attorney overthinking a fairly normal transaction. If it bothers you insist on adding language that there is no value to the NDA.
Yes. I'd ask that Attorney what the likelihood of receiving a 1099 from an auto dealer or manufacturer is.
Even if there was one, it should be easy to show offsetting expenses - such as a sales invoice. Then there's be a deduction.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,315 Likes on 2,054 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Quick update on (serious) problems. I have somewhat worked a deal with the buy back. I get to drive the SUV while I wait on the replacement or find something else quickly. The mileage fee over 3500 is now negotiable at drop off time and that is all I am going to have to pay from here on out. No more comment on that. The SUV does get from point A to point B still but it does have some serious shaking and hesitation problems that seem to be getting worse. It really feels like a misfire hesitation and power loss. So I’m trying to baby it along so I have a car till something arrives.

Although I think MB should be more involved and actually talk to a person in my shoes and not pass it off to a third party that they will then have to pay even more to for them too handle it, I somewhat see the point in that they are trying to shield themselves from the problem.

Now on to why I am really mad. Has anyone been to a dealership lately? There is nothing out there. I have drove several weekends looking, searching the internet, asking for build sheets and so forth only to come up empty handed. Bad color combos, bad engine size, no distronic, third row with run flats, or the car is already sold. Or here is a good one, I went with the hopes to see and probably buy a GLE53 recently because it checked off so many things (except the V8), and the GM is out driving it on a Saturday!!. It was a nice sunny Saturday and the GM is out playing around in probably their only really loaded up GLE. My wife politely told them what she thought of that and we left. Funny how they never called me and told me the car was back at the dealership. Oh well.

So here is another problem. I have gotten serious about switching brands to another SUV and started pulling build sheets and comparing them only to find out that any dealer with this brand will not sell to someone outside of their area “sales area.” OK, that’s fine, but then they will not swap with my local dealer either. How the heck can I buy one then!!!!!!

One more thing that some of you might be able to tell me if this is true or not. I had a quick consultation with an attorney and they helped me put together a game plan. I am thankful for that but they told me to be aware of this. It usually doesn’t happen but it could. If I sign a confidentiality agreement with the buy back then the IRS considers that “hush money” and it has to be considered income. No matter the amount unless you are getting your cash back that you put down or any trade in money. Well what don’t I just say the hush money was $1. Well the IRS does not consider that normal or acceptable and they can and have gone after the whole amount.

Why should buying or replacing a car be so dang hard! Oh, that’s right, no one wants to work and build semiconductors or parts anymore.
Our dealer has been complaining about the complete lack of inventory and as a side effect, a complete lack of good deals for customers. Helped a friend get 15% off on a BMW X3 with little effort; there is no such thing on MB. The resale on these are so good that we will likely unload our 2020 GLE350 and wait for an EQS...
chassis (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:44 PM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
bmw 535i xdrive
Audi Q7/Q8 prestige package has it all. Only thing missing on all Audis is the AUTOHOLD feature. I really missed it.
chassis (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Our dealer has been complaining about the complete lack of inventory and as a side effect, a complete lack of good deals for customers. Helped a friend get 15% off on a BMW X3 with little effort; there is no such thing on MB. The resale on these are so good that we will likely unload our 2020 GLE350 and wait for an EQS...
Yes, I think M-B is down to a 30 day supply. Demand is high. 70 days is ideal to provide selection on the lots without causing Fire Sales to get rid of excess inventory. 60 days is low. 30 is a disaster.

Think of it. as a Dealer, you are only a few weeks away from no cash flow, and employees who are on commission basis facing the same interruption of income.

It hasn't been this bad since Honda faked their low inventory in the 80's, when they stockpiled cars in L.A. to create a false shortage. It was the advent of the "Additional Dealer Profit" stickers beside the Monroney's. Ended up with some big judgements against them, from their Dealer network as well as Consumer Groups, for Price Fixing.

This time it's real.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:24 PM

Received 215 Likes on 161 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
BAC - Hendrick in Charlotte has a nicely optioned GLE53 in stock - nappa leather, driver assist, bunch of other stuff. $92K sticker. If you decide to speak to them, Cam Porta is the rep I have worked with twice before - can't assume there is a deal anywhere right now, but at least they may have a unit worth looking at and Cam is a solid guy.

VIN is: 4JGFB6BB0MA464763
Old 05-11-2021, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by Lanzz
BAC - Hendrick in Charlotte has a nicely optioned GLE53 in stock - nappa leather, driver assist, bunch of other stuff. $92K sticker. If you decide to speak to them, Cam Porta is the rep I have worked with twice before - can't assume there is a deal anywhere right now, but at least they may have a unit worth looking at and Cam is a solid guy.

VIN is: 4JGFB6BB0MA464763
I believe that is the one I went to go look at and the GM was out joy riding in it so he could go play with celebrities.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:46 AM

Received 215 Likes on 161 Posts
2023 GLE450, 2021 E350 / Used to drive: 2019 E300, 2021 + 2020 GLE350, 2019 E450 Wagon(s), 2017 E300
Good gosh - that makes no sense, BAC. I thought I saw it parked there yesterday when I was there for service - but I guess the GM may have "swung by the office" on his way to see the B/C List celebrities at the Wells Fargo championship or some such event.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quick update while I can still talk. I got a build date of about June 20 (hopefully I’ll get a VIN soon) but it appears thing might be moving faster since I am seeing a lot of people cars showing up early and I even spoke with a sales person that said two GLEs popped up at their dealership 2 weeks ahead of time.
I did make an offer on another RR sport to try and end this madness that my wife is going nuts over. But they would not move off sticker and then had $600 doc fee too. So I passed. I found a very nice RSQ8 that had everything I wanted but it’s just over kill. It is the coupe though which I usually think are........less than pretty. Sorry coupe owners. But the Audi SQ8 and RSQ8 are two of the best looking coupes on the market today.
I did drive the 580 on vacation the other week and it has great comfort and power when it’s not shaking. At highway speeds though you think, is that the road not smooth or is it the car shaking? I also had one more violent shaking and CEL about 2 weeks ago which now brings the total to 6 I think. Thankfully my wife has been working at home so I mostly drive her car now to try and save miles on the lemon. That way maybe Stericyle/MBUSA will not charge me as much for the mileage when I do finally give this piece of crap back.
Hopefully the new one will get here soon and the build will be correct. With all that’s gone on with trying to get out of this one and into a new.......something, I’ve got a feeling that a green GLA might show up with my name on it now.
The following 3 users liked this post by BACnMercedes:
chassis (06-12-2021), Ron.s (06-12-2021), WindInMyHair (06-15-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I got a new VIN.
The following 5 users liked this post by BACnMercedes:
chassis (06-16-2021), makris0000 (06-17-2021), mikapen (06-17-2021), Ron.s (06-16-2021), WindInMyHair (06-16-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLE 580
2021 GLE 580, vibrating and engine light on

Originally Posted by TexAg91
This doesn't sound like a battery issue to me...the car kept running. Sounds like a timing issue, and/or it was not running on all cylinders. Question is what caused it? My guess is something is wrong with the electronic ignition...could be as simple as a loose connector/wire -- it got hot, expanded, and an open circuit. A bummer for sure on a brand new car...but once fixed you may never experience this again. Try to stay positive if you can, and see what they find out...being negative never helps. This very well could be an easy fix once diagnosed vice something major. If the check engine light came on, then the vehicle should have recorded a code. If they tell you nothing is wrong, then I'd express concern...it would be reasonable to expect this to happen again. Please let us know what you find out.
…Same problem occurred for me , first at 500 miles and today at 5500 miles …. Taking suv to Mercedes tomorrow… very concerned !
Old 12-20-2021, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,418 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
The Best *Profits* or Nothing...

The marketing people left a word out of the tag line

Jokes aside, I wonder if MBUSA needs to disclose these marginal cars as "buy-back lemons" when they resale them? What keeps troublesome units from circling back around as CPO resale ?

Dealer trained technicians are so busy swapping parts, they have no incentive for troubleshooting "unknown" issues that take longer to document warranty claims.

I remember when my car was under warranty, the SA would never write a work order until he was sure it could be fixed or mulled to next visit "road tested, could not reproduce". Instead my dealer SA used the "customer notes" to request work. This keeps low the published warranty tally.

I don't know this vehicle specifics, I am most familiar with the architecture of E-Class computer network. These cars are ultra well designed, engineered and controlled. It's pretty obvious how Daimler is managing built qualities to dial the chaos level for each market. It's a common practice to get paying consumers to test products that are being being developed. The difference is MB carries over perfectly engineered money-making issues.

For public safety, there should really be self-imposed limits to this game, like B-737Max debacle!
Playing with dangerous limp-modes should really be an illegal way to conduct business.
"The best or nothing" would be to get ALL LM FAULTS to trigger a class recall.

Seeking solutions:
- If you have a directly injected engine featuring single/dual 3-phase fuel pump, you may find rewarding to focus on that system.

- Additionally review existing TSB for quick fixes.

- Mechanic shops can subscribe to troubleshooting tip services to access unpublished repairs.

There is very little unknown to the insiders. I can't be the only one who knows what's wrong with these leading computers. Systems fail because they have to.

Be safe now, happy Holidays!
🎄 + 🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 12-21-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: polishing
places (12-20-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 11:43 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
[QUOTE=CaliBenzDriver;8477251

For public safety, there should really be a self-imposed limit to this game (like B-737Max).... playing with dangerous limp-mode should be an illegal way to profit ie. all LM errors should trigger a class recall.

[/QUOTE]

Great Idea!
Old 08-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,695 Likes on 2,292 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
So um... I got curious about something. I no longer notice any mention, any references to the slogan of "The best or Nothing." in the dealer ordering guides, marketing material or the home page of MBUSA and MB Canada. Did MB quietly stopped using this slogan or am I missing something? If so, what is the reason?