GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450 Info/Engine/Battery Display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
GLE 450 Info/Engine/Battery Display

I've noticed that up until now the battery voltage in the MBUX/Info/Engine/Battery display has been 14.9 volts while driving. Yesterday, the display started at 14.9 volts then went to 12.7 volts shortly after starting. It stayed at 12.7 volts while driving. The next trip, the same thing happened.

Is this normal? Is the 12 volt battery being charged while driving or ?
Old 02-05-2021, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE450
Angry Battery

48 volt Battery...Died, no replacement available in US/or Germany. What to do...????
Old 02-05-2021, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
I've noticed that up until now the battery voltage in the MBUX/Info/Engine/Battery display has been 14.9 volts while driving. Yesterday, the display started at 14.9 volts then went to 12.7 volts shortly after starting. It stayed at 12.7 volts while driving. The next trip, the same thing happened.

Most likely the readout is showing the charging voltage, which will be in the 14.9v range, since the battery has rested since you last drove it. Then, once the battery is charged, the charging voltage backs down to 12.7. Sounds normal to me.

If you let the car sit for a few weeks, your Mercedes Me app will show "partly charged" and you should see 14.9 (or so) for a longer period of time, until the battery is fully charged, then return to 12.7 (or so). This is also normal.

The 12v battery is charged via a 48vDC-to-12vDC converter, from the 48v system. In my above statement, I am assuming that the charging algorithm through the converter is similar to a standard 12 voltage regulator. I don't think there would be any difference, because the 12v battery wants the usual charging/maintaining rates that all 12v batteries need.
I don't think there even needs to be a 48v battery present, but I don't know about that for sure.

You're fine.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Laura55%
48 volt Battery...Died, no replacement available in US/or Germany. What to do...????
Dealer should get an estimated date...what’s your build date?
Old 02-05-2021, 05:42 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by mikapen
Most likely the readout is showing the charging voltage, which will be in the 14.9v range, since the battery has rested since you last drove it. Then, once the battery is charged, the charging voltage backs down to 12.7. Sounds normal to me.

If you let the car sit for a few weeks, your Mercedes Me app will show "partly charged" and you should see 14.9 (or so) for a longer period of time, until the battery is fully charged, then return to 12.7 (or so). This is also normal.

The 12v battery is charged via a 48vDC-to-12vDC converter, from the 48v system. In my above statement, I am assuming that the charging algorithm through the converter is similar to a standard 12 voltage regulator. I don't think there would be any difference, because the 12v battery wants the usual charging/maintaining rates that all 12v batteries need.
I don't think there even needs to be a 48v battery present, but I don't know about that for sure.

You're fine.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I'm using a CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep the battery alive since I don't drive the GLE much these days. It will be interesting to see what the display shows coming off a fully-charged 12V battery next time I take it for a spin. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:04 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I'm using a CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep the battery alive since I don't drive the GLE much these days. It will be interesting to see what the display shows coming off a fully-charged 12V battery next time I take it for a spin. Thanks.
After three days on the CTEK and a full charge on the 12V battery, I drove about 20 minutes. The voltage stayed pegged on 14.8 volts. Who knows.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:51 PM

GLE450
production date 11/201/2020
Old 02-08-2021, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
production date 11/201/2020

Thats not good news...that date is well after the “bad batch” so the problem is apparently not fixed yet.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:44 PM

GLE450
I do not know what to do, SUE Them?
Old 02-09-2021, 03:48 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
I do not know what to do, SUE Them?
My 2 cents, familiarize yourself with your State's lemon Laws. If and when your vehicle meets the criteria, request MB buy it back for a full refund. If they won't, then you can consult an attorney. I live in Virginia, our Lemon Law is the following:

§ 59.1-207.13. Nonconformity of motor vehicles.

A. If the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers do not conform the motor vehicle to any applicable warranty by repairing or correcting any defect or condition, including those that do not affect the driveability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of the motor vehicle to the consumer after a reasonable number of attempts during the lemon law rights period, the manufacturer shall:

1. Replace the motor vehicle with a comparable motor vehicle acceptable to the consumer, or

2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lienholder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lienholder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer.

A1. In the case of a replacement of or refund for a leased vehicle, in addition to any other damages provided in this chapter, the motor vehicle shall be returned to the manufacturer and the consumer's written lease shall be terminated by the lessor without penalty to the consumer. The lessor shall transfer title to the manufacturer as necessary to effectuate the consumer's rights pursuant to this chapter, whether the consumer chooses vehicle replacement or a refund.

B. It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to any warranty and that the motor vehicle is significantly impaired if during the period of eighteen months following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer either:

1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer, its agents or its authorized dealers and the same nonconformity continues to exist;

2. The nonconformity is a serious safety defect and has been subject to repair one or more times by the manufacturer, its agent or its authorized dealer and the same nonconformity continues to exist; or

3. The motor vehicle is out of service due to repair for a cumulative total of thirty calendar days, unless such repairs could not be performed because of conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers, including war, invasion, strike, fire, flood or other natural disasters.

C. The lemon law rights period shall be extended if the manufacturer has been notified but the nonconformity has not been effectively repaired by the manufacturer, or its agent, by the expiration of the lemon law rights period.

D. The manufacturer shall clearly and conspicuously disclose to the consumer, in the warranty or owner's manual, that written notification of the nonconformity to the manufacturer is required before the consumer may be eligible for a refund or replacement of the vehicle under this chapter. The manufacturer shall include with the warranty or owner's manual the name and address to which the consumer shall send such written notification.

E. It shall be the responsibility of the consumer, or his representative, prior to availing himself of the provisions of this section, to notify the manufacturer of the need for the correction or repair of the nonconformity, unless the manufacturer has been notified as defined in § 59.1-207.11. If the manufacturer or factory representative has not been notified of the conditions set forth in subsection B of this section and any of the conditions set forth in subsection B of this section already exists, the manufacturer shall be given an additional opportunity, not to exceed fifteen days, to correct or repair the nonconformity. If notification shall be mailed to an authorized dealer, the authorized dealer shall upon receipt forward such notification to the manufacturer.

F. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to limit or impair the rights and remedies of a consumer under any other law.

G. It is an affirmative defense to any claim under this chapter that:

1. An alleged nonconformity does not significantly impair the use, market value, or safety of the motor vehicle; or

2. A nonconformity is the result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized modification or alteration of a motor vehicle by a consumer.

Last edited by TexAg91; 02-09-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:28 PM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Well, my GLE 450 went into production on January 19th and is to be delivered in Canada at the end of March to mid April.

I have posted a few threads on this 48 volt battery system and was hoping MB would have figured out the issue on these bad batteries from 2020 before my production date.

I've dealt with this dealer for years so they told me and it's in the contract I ordered what I want, no deposit, my name is on the order and I have first refusal on the car if I don't want it. They said they can sell it in a heartbeat.

I want the car but really am quite unsure about this battery system. There was a poll someone but up about who had problems and who didn't. The poll results showed 12% had some issues and 88% said no issues.

Dealer here has said they haven't had one battery issue from the few 450"s they sold in 2020 being about 15.

What to do as I live 2 hours from the dealer.

Toban
Old 02-10-2021, 11:26 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by toban

What to do as I live 2 hours from the dealer.

Toban
How are your lemon laws?
Old 02-11-2021, 07:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
GLE 450 here with the 48 volt system. Car was built in aug-sept 19. Owned for 14 months almost and now with 10k km (~6k miles) on the odometer. No problem with the hybrid system, even after the 2.5 month lockup of last spring. Not sure if I filled out that survey, but maybe some people with the system and no problems have not shown their experience.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:15 AM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by jsa1983
GLE 450 here with the 48 volt system. Car was built in aug-sept 19. Owned for 14 months almost and now with 10k km (~6k miles) on the odometer. No problem with the hybrid system, even after the 2.5 month lockup of last spring. Not sure if I filled out that survey, but maybe some people with the system and no problems have not shown their experience.
Agree, usually the people with problems post more than those that don't have problems.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:18 PM

2021 GLE 450
Have no lemon laws in Canada that I’m aware of.

Toban
Old 02-11-2021, 03:24 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV

Well today I went for another 20 minute drive on an errand. As soon as I started the engine, the display read 12.7 volts. about a minute later it went to 14.9 volts and stayed there for the rest of the trip.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Well today I went for another 20 minute drive on an errand. As soon as I started the engine, the display read 12.7 volts. about a minute later it went to 14.9 volts and stayed there for the rest of the trip.
20 minute drives eat batteries.
Find somewhere to go that's an hour away and see if you get on top of this.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:32 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by mikapen
20 minute drives eat batteries.
Find somewhere to go that's an hour away and see if you get on top of this.
Agree 110%.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:38 PM

Have no lemon laws in Canada that I’m aware of.

Toban
Yes, but you have Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP), and Mercedes is a participant. Read below for details.

https://ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02998.html

While there are no "lemon laws" in Canada, there are measures in place to help if you think you may have bought a defective vehicle. You have different options to get redress depending on the type of problem you may have with your vehicle.

Redress options for a new vehicle

If you have a problem with a new vehicle, first try to work it out with the dealer. If your problem is related to a manufacturer's defect in assembly or material, or how the manufacturer applies or administers its new vehicle warranty, try to resolve the issue directly with the manufacturer. Report design or manufacturing safety defects to Transport Canada.

The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan

If you cannot resolve the issue with the manufacturer, you may be eligible for the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP).

This program can help you resolve disputes with automobile manufacturers. Most vehicles purchased or leased in Canada and made in the last four years are covered by CAMVAP. CAMVAP provides binding arbitration that may be an alternative to court.

The resolutions under this program can range from reimbursement for vehicle repairs to manufacturer buyback of the defective vehicle.

A few manufacturers aren't part of CAMVAP, and so vehicles purchased from them aren't covered by the program. Furthermore, if you have purchased a vehicle in the United States, or a vehicle that isn't designed for the Canadian market, then you aren't covered under CAMVAP, unless the manufacturer agrees to the arbitration process. Check the CAMVAP website for further information including a list of participating manufacturers.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:07 PM

2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Yes, but you have Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP), and Mercedes is a participant. Read below for details.

While there are no "lemon laws" in Canada, there are measures in place to help if you think you may have bought a defective vehicle. You have different options to get redress depending on the type of problem you may have with your vehicle.

If you have a problem with a new vehicle, first try to work it out with the dealer. If your problem is related to a manufacturer's defect in assembly or material, or how the manufacturer applies or administers its new vehicle warranty, try to resolve the issue directly with the manufacturer. Report design or manufacturing safety defects to Transport Canada.

If you cannot resolve the issue with the manufacturer, you may be eligible for the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP).

This program can help you resolve disputes with automobile manufacturers. Most vehicles purchased or leased in Canada and made in the last four years are covered by CAMVAP. CAMVAP provides binding arbitration that may be an alternative to court.

The resolutions under this program can range from reimbursement for vehicle repairs to manufacturer buyback of the defective vehicle.

A few manufacturers aren't part of CAMVAP, and so vehicles purchased from them aren't covered by the program. Furthermore, if you have purchased a vehicle in the United States, or a vehicle that isn't designed for the Canadian market, then you aren't covered under CAMVAP, unless the manufacturer agrees to the arbitration process. Check the CAMVAP website for further information including a list of participating manufacturers.
Unfortunately, I may consider walking away from the GLE450. Dealer has no answers to my questions, most of the techs really don't know a lot about the car and how it works and solving problems etc. It's amazing they are selling the cars but know very little technically about them. And, they can't seem to get answers for the customer from MB. Maybe I'm spending a lot of money on a defective car moving forward. Maybe I should drive my wife's Honda Pilot. It's been spectacular as far as issues. Absolutely none in 2.5 years.

Thanks again for your input.

Toban
Old 02-11-2021, 05:13 PM

2021 GLE 450
Unfortunately, I may consider walking away from my GLE 450 that's on order. Dealer has no answers to my questions, most of the techs really don't know a lot about the car and how it works and solving problems etc. It's amazing they are selling the cars but know very little technically about them. One tech told me, we are still learning? And, they can't seem to get answers for the customer from MB. Maybe I'm spending a lot of money on a defective car moving forward. Maybe I should drive my wife's Honda Pilot. it's been spectacular as far as issues. Absolutely none in 2.5 years.

Thanks for your input.

Toban
Old 02-11-2021, 05:36 PM

Unfortunately, I may consider walking away from my GLE 450 that's on order. Dealer has no answers to my questions, most of the techs really don't know a lot about the car and how it works and solving problems etc. It's amazing they are selling the cars but know very little technically about them. One tech told me, we are still learning? And, they can't seem to get answers for the customer from MB. Maybe I'm spending a lot of money on a defective car moving forward. Maybe I should drive my wife's Honda Pilot. it's been spectacular as far as issues. Absolutely none in 2.5 years.

Thanks for your input.

Toban
No guarantee the next Honda Pilot you buy won't be a Lemon. Honda has unhappy customers too, and they also love to vent forums.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/le.../#post-1627229
Old 02-12-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by TexAg91

I can tell you that the CANVAP program is poor. A "Lemon" can be bought back but you only get a depreciated value, and if you don't like what is offered you gave up your right to any civil action by starting the CAMVAP process. The process favor the manufacturer and our laws on warranty coverage in general are poorly defined and this allows the manufacturer to write their own warranty terms and conditions In my situation the depreciated value was so far below wholesale market value (which was already low due to reported problems on this car) that it made no sense. Fortunately I discovered the depreciated value payout before committing to CAMVAP and took my loss and traded the vehicle.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:40 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
I can tell you that the CANVAP program is poor. A "Lemon" can be bought back but you only get a depreciated value, and if you don't like what is offered you gave up your right to any civil action by starting the CAMVAP process. The process favor the manufacturer and our laws on warranty coverage in general are poorly defined and this allows the manufacturer to write their own warranty terms and conditions In my situation the depreciated value was so far below wholesale market value (which was already low due to reported problems on this car) that it made no sense. Fortunately I discovered the depreciated value payout before committing to CAMVAP and took my loss and traded the vehicle.
That just sucks.