GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 450 MBUX head unit keeps rebooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 Mercedes Benz GLE 450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mike Guzzardo
Well. Dropped the car off today and they told me a sw update wouldn’t work and that they ordered parts (MBUX HEAD UNIT). Problem is there’s no ETA because the unit hasn’t been produced yet. Yep they have no extra units in Germany. Are you F###king kidding me? I’m only calm with them because it’s not my local dealers fault but seriously WTF. Mercedes better get their ***** together this problem is bigger than just a few vehicles. My worry is when i finally do get a new unit who’s to say it will not have the same issue? I’m 2 for 2 bad vehicles in a row with the mbux issue in 3 weeks. What they don’t know is one of my best friends is a top lemon law attorney. I’ve not contacted him yet and won’t unless this drags on. Hope you get a solution for yours quickly.

Until then i’m going to drive the wheels off their loaner as i’m paying near $1,000 a month for a new vehicle that sits in their lot unusable.

I totally agree with you and might need to contact Info for you Lawyer friend... lol. I pay $1,050 a month and I am honestly not sure satisfied with the service department at Mercedes Benz of Pompano. They had me in a C class loaner then after two days made me bring it back, and told me that Mercedes is paying for me to drive a rental so I had to bring their rental back. The first rental was a piece of crap and the tires were bold. This rental is a little better but I’m not satisfied. Today makes a week and no call or update yet. I’m calling them in a little while to ask why is going on with my vehicle and why haven’t anyone contacted me as of yet with any updates.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:32 AM

Hr doesn’t do one offs i would just ask him for advice should this turn into a long venture. I’m ok to wait a few weeks but if this runs into months i’ll need some good advice.
Please keep us updated. As this is completely insane. I’m a little upset that they are not giving me any information. I bought my car February 1,2021. It has not been two months and I am not ok with paying for a car to sit in their shop for two months.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:06 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Timm29745
Please keep us updated. As this is completely insane. I’m a little upset that they are not giving me any information. I bought my car February 1,2021. It has not been two months and I am not ok with paying for a car to sit in their shop for two months.
I would have done the lemon law at day 30.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mb gls 550
The MBUX computer for the center screen arrived from Germany on 3/17, installed 3/19 and it is working fine so far. I continued to use/drive my GLS 580 for 5 weeks without radio, Nav, etc waiting for the part to arrive. Why wouldn't you keep your newly purchased car (and making payments) and drive it / use it versus letting your your new car sit at the dealer waiting for a part ?
Old 03-24-2021, 09:09 AM

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts
GLE 450
Glad to hear you got yours replaced.

Originally Posted by mbvsbmw
The MBUX computer for the center screen arrived from Germany on 3/17, installed 3/19 and it is working fine so far. I continued to use/drive my GLS 580 for 5 weeks without radio, Nav, etc waiting for the part to arrive. Why wouldn't you keep your newly purchased car (and making payments) and drive it / use it versus letting your your new car sit at the dealer waiting for a part ?
The reason i let mine sit at the dealer is the radio comes on for 15 seconds every time it reboots. Reboot sequence is about a minute. That constant reboot w random music is not super fun.
The following users liked this post:
GIdriver (03-27-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:31 PM

The reason i let mine sit at the dealer is the radio comes on for 15 seconds every time it reboots. Reboot sequence is about a minute. That constant reboot w random music is not super fun.

Same here, and it is very annoying driving and that constantly happens.
GIdriver (03-27-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I’m interested to know what MB’s cash flow is for the V167 platform since launch, excluding capital expense and startup cost.

Revenue on sold units - cost to manufacture sold units - claims&field repairs paid on sold units = The Answer

The Answer is probably far below their business plan. It has to be.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:25 PM

mb gls 550
Yes, radio fading in and out is annoying - mine was doing the same thing, but the volume was very low. I still would prefer to drive it versus leaving on dealer lot. And regarding to previous comment about the profit margin - totally agree!
The following 2 users liked this post by mbvsbmw:
fbevert (04-10-2021), Mike Guzzardo (03-26-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 01:52 PM

Yes, radio fading in and out is annoying - mine was doing the same thing, but the volume was very low. I still would prefer to drive it versus leaving on dealer lot. And regarding to previous comment about the profit margin - totally agree!

my volume was very load and I could not turn it down.
Mike Guzzardo (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E53 convertible
Angry

Hello, I got my brand new 2021 E53 convertible 03/09 delivered and two days later same thing, brought the car to dealer and they are still working on it.
It looks like the new MBUXs are defective, dealer trying to order new unit, but they are not getting a response from MB, I am very upset and most probably they are in back order.

Last edited by RDumois; 03-25-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:56 PM

mb gls 550
Totally understand your frustration - I was MAD also when I had to wait 5 weeks for the new mbux system to arrive and install. You have to ask "where is the quality control" before these computers on wheels depart the factory ?
Old 03-26-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by RDumois
Hello, I got my brand new 2021 E53 convertible 03/09 delivered and two days later same thing, brought the car to dealer and they are still working on it.
It looks like the new MBUXs are defective, dealer trying to order new unit, but they are not getting a response from MB, I am very upset and most probably they are in back order.

Yes, this is extremely ridiculous, I received a call from the dealer yesterday and they told me that the new parts are expedited to arrive from Germany on April 16th. The crazy part is I waited 4 1/2 months for them to build the car. I purchased it on Feb. 1st and it has been in the Shop since March 7th. And now I still have to wait. It will have been in the shop longer than I have had it at home and the crazy thing is I still have a 1000 payment🤦🏽‍♂️ Completely insane
Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM

mb gls 550
Another option for you is to call MB customer service and request them to "buy back" the car. Explain that you are unhappy with purchase, along with delays and waiting for the part. The down side is if they buy it back, you will need to agree immediately, may take 6 weeks or so, depending on lemon law in your state. In the mean time, you should order a new car, but you will need a rental or something else do drive in between the buy back sale and arrive of new car..
Old 03-26-2021, 04:28 PM

GLE 450
My dealership has been outstanding in helping me on this so I am going to patiently wait. The vehicle is the best vehicle I have driven period as far as driver experience (comfort/sound/look/tech/features) ...makes my 2013 BMW 750Lix I had seem like a Flintstones mobile.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Another option for you is to call MB customer service and request them to "buy back" the car.
I’m speaking from very recent interaction with MB customer service and they are without a doubt a total waste of time. They will only prolong the misery. It’s better to keep the dealership on your side and hopefully they help. I’ve gone through 3 customer service managers and none did anything.
Good luck.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:42 PM

mb gls 550
That is odd that MB Cust Svc is helping you. My dealer is very helpful, too, and they recommended that I contact MB Cust Svc and request the buy back. So I did contact Cust Svc and they are doing the lemon law research for my state. My dealer says our state's lemon law is very "pro" consumer, and it is very likely they will buy back the car. Dealer has seen buy back for much lower problems than my mbux replacement.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:43 PM

That is odd that MB Cust Svc is helping you. My dealer is very helpful, too, and they recommended that I contact MB Cust Svc and request the buy back. So I did contact Cust Svc and they are doing the lemon law research for my state. My dealer says our state's lemon law is very "pro" consumer, and it is very likely they will buy back the car. Dealer has seen buy back for much lower problems than my mbux replacement.

I will wait until, April 16th to see if the part come in. However, I will be calling MB on Monday morning to inform them of the situation.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 E63 AMG-S, 2021 GLE53 Coupe
Exactly the same issue here with a 2021 GLE53 Coupe that I ordered and waited several months to get my hands on. Just completed 2k miles. Left it at the dealer 1 week ago. Spoke to the service representative last Thursday and he told me that it is the MBUX control module but that they have to go down through multiple “diagnostic steps” for MB to approve replacement 🤦‍♂️. Mine is stuck at a radio station that I don’t like, mid level volume and the rebooting thing is VERY ANNOYING! Will call today for an update.
Otherwise I love everything else about the car, don’t get me wrong, but this issue definitely doesn’t help on having a pleasant owner experience.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when you make/get a call, it switches back and forth between the car audio and your phone (rebooting) which makes for a dangerous situation. I had to turn the bluetooth off and decline calls. Where I live it is illegal to use your phone while driving without a hands-free device.

Last edited by GIdriver; 03-27-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by GIdriver
Exactly the same issue here with a 2021 GLE53 Coupe that I ordered and waited several months to get my hands on. Just completed 2k miles. Left it at the dealer 1 week ago. Spoke to the service representative last Thursday and he told me that it is the MBUX control module but that they have to go down through multiple “diagnostic steps” for MB to approve replacement 🤦‍♂️. Mine is stuck at a radio station that I don’t like, mid level volume and the rebooting thing is VERY ANNOYING! Will call today for an update.
Otherwise I love everything else about the car, don’t get me wrong, but this issue definitely doesn’t help on having a pleasant owner experience.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when you make/get a call, it switches back and forth between the car audio and your phone (rebooting) which makes for a dangerous situation. I had to turn the bluetooth off and decline calls. Where I live it is illegal to use your phone while driving without a hands-free device.

sounds like the exact same problem we are all having. I live in Florida. However it has been two weeks now that my vehicle has been in the shop, and was told by my service advisor that they be leave the “Hard-drive” needs to be replaced and it isn’t expected to arrive from Germany until April 16th. My vehicle only has 1000miles on it. However, I will be calling MB the company around Tuesday or Wednesday to discuss options. Such as “Buyback” (Lemon Law) here in Florida and move from there. I love the car, but it by the time the part arrive and it is replaced, the car would have been at the shop more than at my house. I am paying a little over 1k/month, and what if the “hard-drive” isn’t the problem. Then how much longer will it take. If it meets the requirements for “buyback” under Florida’s law, than that’s the option I will take, and take my chance with a new one.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
sounds like the exact same problem we are all having. I live in Florida. However it has been two weeks now that my vehicle has been in the shop, and was told by my service advisor that they be leave the “Hard-drive” needs to be replaced and it isn’t expected to arrive from Germany until April 16th. My vehicle only has 1000miles on it. However, I will be calling MB the company around Tuesday or Wednesday to discuss options. Such as “Buyback” (Lemon Law) here in Florida and move from there. I love the car, but it by the time the part arrive and it is replaced, the car would have been at the shop more than at my house. I am paying a little over 1k/month, and what if the “hard-drive” isn’t the problem. Then how much longer will it take. If it meets the requirements for “buyback” under Florida’s law, than that’s the option I will take, and take my chance with a new one.
You might save yourself some time and frustration by researching Florida Lemon Law before you call MB. I’m guessing that you don’t qualify. Most LL’s require several unsuccessful attempts at repair. Some also include a length of time the vehicle is out of service.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 E63 AMG-S, 2021 GLE53 Coupe
Update:
Mercedes Benz approved the repair 🙄. Apparently they will be replacing the radio/MBUX unit. It is expected to arrive at the dealer next Tuesday. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by GIdriver
Update:
Mercedes Benz approved the repair 🙄. Apparently they will be replacing the radio/MBUX unit. It is expected to arrive at the dealer next Tuesday. Will keep you posted.
I was told it was the hard drive that needed to be replaced🤦🏽‍♂️ and apparently it arrived at the dealer yesterday morning🤷🏽‍♂️
Old 04-02-2021, 07:32 AM

GLE 450
MBUX HEAD UNIT ARRIVED

I was told it was the hard drive that needed to be replaced🤦🏽‍♂️ and apparently it arrived at the dealer yesterday morning🤷🏽‍♂️
My new head unit arrived Wednesday 3/31 (sure beat the heck out of the 4/22 rough estimate) Man i was thrilled.

I picked my beast up yesterday and it’s great to have it home.

They told me it is a different part number (thank god) because Mercedes knew they had an issue with the old version. Pretty sure you all are getting new part numbers too. Make sure to ask your tech.

So far so good.

Good driving!

M
TempeAndy (04-08-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:52 AM

My new head unit arrived Wednesday 3/31 (sure beat the heck out of the 4/22 rough estimate) Man i was thrilled.

I picked my beast up yesterday and it’s great to have it home.

They told me it is a different part number (thank god) because Mercedes knew they had an issue with the old version. Pretty sure you all are getting new part numbers too. Make sure to ask your tech.

So far so good.

Good driving!

M

yes I picked mine up also
Old 04-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
We have had our GLE 450 less than a week, and the MBUX reboot started up this morning. We went on a small road trip on Friday (less than 4 hours RT), and I know the screen was hot to the touch during the journey, and when we parked the car in the garage I could smell an electrical burning smell. Wonder if it's related.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE 450 MBUX head unit keeps rebooting