GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

MBUX Text Messages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLE 350
MBUX Text Messages

My GLE 350 was delivered yesterday! Some pics below if anyone is interested (tinting and ceramic coating are first up). Having fun playing around with the features but can’t seem to get text messages to work in the native MBUX system. I don’t love the partial screen Apple CarPlay so was trying to just use the MBUX system (Bluetooth audio, phone, etc.) but text messages are important too. I keep getting the error message below. Thought I’d see if anyone knows about this. I did look at my phone settings and didn’t see anything relevant. I also searched the forum and google and couldn’t find anything directly on point. Thanks in advance!

Error message

Last edited by johnps123; 06-13-2021 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
makris0000 (08-30-2022)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:02 AM

2021 GLE 350
Never mind! I just solved the problem after finding an old COMAND focused YouTube (solution is apparently the same for MBUX). In case anyone else needs help with this issue, you need to go into Bluetooth settings, click the “i”next to your car connection name, and then enable “Show Notifications.” You then need to turn car off and back on and it should work.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:33 AM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by johnps123
Never mind! I just solved the problem after finding an old COMAND focused YouTube (solution is apparently the same for MBUX). In case anyone else needs help with this issue, you need to go into Bluetooth settings, click the “i”next to your car connection name, and then enable “Show Notifications.” You then need to turn car off and back on and it should work.
it actually works decently. Only issue is pulling up a txt after you’ve listened to it. Takes a few more steps. I agree about not using the CarPlay screen. All I need left is the Amazon music app which is supposedly on some MB’s then I’m a happy happy camper. Using app through phone a bit cumbersome
Old 06-13-2021, 04:23 PM

2021 GLE 350
Thanks, Daso. Appreciate the info on your experience. Totally agree about the music apps. I’d love to see the Amazon Music app show up. I’d even settle for the Tidal one—willing to give either a shot if it allows for a little better graphical interface than Bluetooth. In theory, these would be in the Mercedes Me apps section? And I believe I’d need a data package active?
Old 06-13-2021, 04:59 PM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by johnps123
Thanks, Daso. Appreciate the info on your experience. Totally agree about the music apps. I’d love to see the Amazon Music app show up. I’d even settle for the Tidal one—willing to give either a shot if it allows for a little better graphical interface than Bluetooth. In theory, these would be in the Mercedes Me apps section? And I believe I’d need a data package active?
hi, as far as I’m aware you wouldn’t need an additional data package over what we already have for the Amazon app. I think we basically get the first 3 years free then you start paying for the Mercedes me services annually. The data hotspot is for your devices. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
94 Supra Turbo, 15 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2020 GLE 450
congrats on the GLE! Looks great!
Old 06-15-2021, 10:57 AM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
Originally Posted by Ninja_Ryan
congrats on the GLE! Looks great!
Agreed! Mine looks almost identical. I didn't get running boards, and I have the blacked out 21 inch wheels. Everything else looks the same!
Old 06-15-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
94 Supra Turbo, 15 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Dave Stough
Agreed! Mine looks almost identical. I didn't get running boards, and I have the blacked out 21 inch wheels. Everything else looks the same!
oohhh please link me to your GLE pic! I really want my wheels all black but somewhat of a pain to be without my daily as i thought about getting them painted or power coated.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:14 AM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
Originally Posted by Ninja_Ryan
oohhh please link me to your GLE pic! I really want my wheels all black but somewhat of a pain to be without my daily as i thought about getting them painted or power coated.

The following users liked this post:
Ninja_Ryan (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:12 PM

2021 GLE 350
Thanks all. I love it. I actually spent a lot of time trying to find a 450 on a dealer lot (of which there were almost none) or trying to come to terms with ordering one and hoping it would come in 4 months or so. I finally decided to just get a 350 and am really happy with it so far! Just in case that’s helpful to hear to someone else in a similar shopping situation.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:19 PM

2021 GLE 350
Originally Posted by Dave Stough
Looks great. The car I got happened to have the multi-spoke rims but I really like the look of those 5 star rims and probably would have done that had that been available.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Formally: 2002 ML 270cdi, 2012 GL 350 cdi. Current: 2020 GLS 400d
Does anyone use MBux to send text messages via Linguitronic ?

When I say “Hey Mercedes, send a text message to Bob, I’m on my way there now”.
I get the reply, “Online voice recognition is deactivated, would you like to change the settings?”
If I say “yes”, she takes me to the settings screen below, but there is no option to enable this.

Could someone check their settings screen please, and let me know if you see more options.

I am on NTG6/081 and have the MBux voice assistant enabled through Mercedes Me. I thought this was the service you need for this, but seems I’m missing a setting.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
My settings look the same. You might check your phone to see if access is being allowed but first try it with more steps.
With my Google Pixel 6-any long command leaves my MBUX confused & M often comes back with a couple of different messages…like please repeat or a select destinations or contacts.
Your request has 3 commands that will usually confuse the system: send a text, recipient, message. In my experience one at a time works best…send a text-who would you like to text-Bob-what’s your message-on my way. If I talk slow, then Send a text to Bob might work most of the time, then the message.
MBUX just doesn’t seem to have the AI to deal with longer commands like our phones.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
My settings look the same. You might check your phone to see if access is being allowed but first try it with more steps.
With my Google Pixel 6-any long command leaves my MBUX confused & M often comes back with a couple of different messages…like please repeat or a select destinations or contacts.
Your request has 3 commands that will usually confuse the system: send a text, recipient, message. In my experience one at a time works best…send a text-who would you like to text-Bob-what’s your message-on my way. If I talk slow, then Send a text to Bob might work most of the time, then the message.
MBUX just doesn’t seem to have the AI to deal with longer commands like our phones.
You've reported problems with MBUX understanding your commands for some time now, and I've not had those problems since my Driver's microphone was replaced on my earlier 450.
I am able to have conversations with my MBUX, it understands contextual speech. And it learns.
I've never had to use specified word tracks, aside from the first week, when I tried the old "Navigate to" instead of the newer "Take me to..." or "I want to go to....." "Navigate to" confused it .... for a week.
After that week, it learned that when I said "Navigate to..." it was the same as "Take me to..." and now they are interchangeable. I'm impressed at how quickly it learned, and how it understands my conversations.
I've responded to a couple of texts, but IMO texts have the advantage of being ignored until I feel like answering. (I'm a pretty focused driver.) If an immediate response is required, they can call. But the MBUX seems to get my outbound texts correctly. Never tried to initiate one, though.

Did you have the same problem with an earlier MBUX? Has the Dealer opined?
Old 08-30-2022, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by mikapen
You've reported problems with MBUX understanding your commands for some time now, and I've not had those problems since my Driver's microphone was replaced on my earlier 450.
I am able to have conversations with my MBUX, it understands contextual speech. And it learns.
I've never had to use specified word tracks, aside from the first week, when I tried the old "Navigate to" instead of the newer "Take me to..." or "I want to go to....." "Navigate to" confused it .... for a week.
After that week, it learned that when I said "Navigate to..." it was the same as "Take me to..." and now they are interchangeable. I'm impressed at how quickly it learned, and how it understands my conversations.
I've responded to a couple of texts, but IMO texts have the advantage of being ignored until I feel like answering. (I'm a pretty focused driver.) If an immediate response is required, they can call. But the MBUX seems to get my outbound texts correctly. Never tried to initiate one, though.
Did you have the same problem with an earlier MBUX? Has the Dealer opined?
Microphones were checked at 20k service…maybe they aren’t 100%.
My previous GLE was almost unusable until my MBUX controller was replaced along with several upgrades to newer MBUX software, but that was in 2019. I could list a number of other issues but most were annoying like shaking the Key Fob. The worst one was a safety issue with Distronic that turned out to be software related and fixed July 2019. Mercedes didn’t have the Camera and Radar in Sync causing dangerous maneuvers, and braking. First build of a new Generation woes-hardware glitches & Guinea P software.

It might be a combination of things in my situation. I use MBUX like my phone and that just doesn’t work. Most of the time I’m making short commutes around town or longer trips for several days or a week. So I use MBUX sparingly for weeks in town and then on a trip it might be most of the time. I have never been able to talk normally with more than one command but have had success by slowing down. Talking slowly works most of the time for two not three stages of the command. I can say “send a text to……Bob” never with a message added to the command, can you? One big improvement from 2019 is that there are no longer frequent “can I help you” unless the word Mercedes is mentioned. But I also lost the ability to have AA and Mercedes Nav running at the same time so that I could toggle back and forth. Now I lose the Nav if I change sources.
Google never fails to get me to the right location but Mercedes does often. Last week I asked Mercedes to “take me to Red Hawk Golf Course in Nampa, Idaho. I got Navigation to somplace in the Midwest with a similar name. In June the same command displayed routing to RedHawk Resort in Sparks, NV. Google knows my location and will Nav correctly without my adding the City/State. It’s nice to have a backup.